PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: For Nene, Love Conquers All-Star Game

duncan228
12-13-2008, 10:22 PM
For Nene, love conquers All-Star Game (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/For_Nene_love_conquers_All-Star_Game.html)
For Nuggets center, All-Star nod can wait
Mike Monroe

Love conquers all, but how does it match up against David Stern?

Nuggets center Nene is off to the best start of his NBA career, averaging 14.6 points and 7.3 rebounds for the team with the best record in the Northwest Division.

When you check out the rest of the centers in the Western Conference, it is hardly a stretch to suggest Nene will get serious consideration as a reserve center on the Western Conference All-Star team after Yao Ming once again is voted to the starting lineup by the league's fans.

Hornets center Tyson Chandler has had some nagging injuries, and all his numbers are down from last season.

Trail Blazers rookie Greg Oden is too raw.

Clippers center Chris Kaman has been injured much of the season.

Utah's Mehmet Okur has solid numbers, in part because of the absence of Carlos Boozer most of the season.

This makes Nene a serious All-Star contender.

There is one big problem for the Brazilian star: He is to be married, to Lauren Prothe, of Fort Collins, Colo., on Valentine's Day, which falls on All-Star Saturday.

An NBA official last week said league rules provide no exception for a selected All-Star to skip the game to get married.

“I think we might have to think about that if it were to happen,” the official said.

Nene knows where his priorities lie.

“My wedding,” he told Denver's Rocky Mountain News. “That's my priority. I don't want to postpone that. It's my wedding. That comes first.”

We may get to find out if Stern, the NBA's commissioner, has any romance in his heart.

Bob Lanier
12-13-2008, 10:28 PM
A serious All-Star contender after Al Jefferson, Andrew Bynum, and Andris Biedrins, maybe.

mystargtr34
12-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Al Jefferson should be the back up to Yao.

Maybe Nene may get in for the 11th and 12th spot.

sook
12-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Jeferson right now is a thousand times better than Bynum and Oden.

Biedrins looks real good as well

Bob Lanier
12-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Oden, yes. Bynum, no.

Jefferson is a more polished offensive player than Bynum; he takes twice as many shots, though he's a less skilled and willing passer and doesn't get to the line any more (!!!). But he's considerably worse defensively, and his rebound rate is lower.

He's a good player - better than Nene - but I don't think he's all that far ahead of Bynum.

Chieflion
12-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Al Jefferson should backup Yao Ming for the All Star game.
He is the man for the Timberwolves, while I don't see Bynum as effective as Al Jefferson if he plays for the Timberwolves.