PDA

View Full Version : Monroe's NBA Power Rankings: Dec. 14, 2008

duncan228
12-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Mike Monroe's NBA power rankings: Dec. 14, 2008 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mike_Monroes_NBA_power_rankings_Dec_14_2008.html)

(Last week’s rank in parentheses)

1. Celtics (2): Hey, Big Baby, why the tears? Your team’s off to best start in club history, and it’s a storied history.

2. Cavaliers (3): They’re off to best start in team history, too, but they’re worried about Ilgauskas’ bad left ankle sprain slowing their momentum.

3. Lakers (1): They lost in Sac-town, Bynum’s whining about crunch time minutes and Kobe’s production is down ..... so, how have they won 19 of 22?

4. SPURS (6): Big Shot Who? A quarter of the way through the season, and Matt Bonner leads the NBA in 3-point percentage, Big Red is rebounding, too.

5. Mavericks (7): Dirk’s playing like an MVP again, but all the talk in Dallas is about J.J. Barea. Mavs are 4-1 in his five starts, in which he scored 84 points.

6. Nuggets (10): Melo “Ices” sore shooting arm, ties Gervin’s record for points in a quarter. Nene playing like All-Star, doesn’t want to make All-Star team.

7. Rockets (9): T-Mac’s back, with a message: Feel my pain, because I play with it ..... Meanwhile, Artest is hurting and Barry has missed nine straight games.

8. Magic (4): Magic holding breath after Howard leaves Friday night game with sore knee. Without Superman, they’re mere mortals.

9. Trail Blazers (5): Rose Garden has become bed of thorns. Latest home-court shocker: Steve Blake misses 4 of 5 late free throws in loss to Clippers.

10. Hornets (11): Private meeting between Scott and James brought conclusion that James had to go. Daniels a much better fit playing behind CP3.

THE REST

11. Pistons (8)
12. Hawks (14)
13. Jazz (12)
14. Suns (13)
15. Heat (15)
16. Raptors (16)
17. Nets (17)
18. Knicks (23)
19. Bulls (22)
20. Grizzlies (28)
21. Pacers (19)
22. 76ers (18)
23. Clippers (29)
24. Bucks (20)
25. Bobcats (21)
26. Kings (26)
27. Wizards (24)
28. Warriors (25)
29. Timberwolves (27)
30. Thunder (30)

m33p0
12-13-2008, 10:33 PM
oh noes... Spurs number 4. hide! hide! they can see us!

Vito Corleone
12-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Well I guess it's officially too late to tank the season.

Seriously, it's good to see them bounce back, they still need help in the front court and I would not be surprised to see them make a trade for a little front court help.

honestfool84
12-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Well I guess it's officially too late to tank the season.

Seriously, it's good to see them bounce back, they still need help in the front court and I would not be surprised to see them make a trade for a little front court help.

help in the front court?
have you not been watching any games?

http://www.nba.com/media/act_matt_bonner.jpg

phyzik
12-13-2008, 11:32 PM
7. Rockets (9): T-Mac’s back, with a message: Feel my pain, because I play with it ..... Meanwhile, Artest is hurting and Barry has missed nine straight games.

Whats up with bones? did I miss something? Not that I care since he's with the Rockets now, just curious.

tp2021
12-13-2008, 11:36 PM
help in the front court?
have you not been watching any games?

http://www.nba.com/media/act_matt_bonner.jpg

I hope you are just making a funny.

Yes, Matt has been playing out of his mind. But the frontcourt is still the Spurs' weakness. Aside from Tim, Bonner is the only one playing very well. The Spurs still need a bigman who can help Timmy with interior D, and grab boards, especially against the bigger lineups in the West (Lakers, for example). That man, hopefully, is Ian Mahinmi. And if not, then a trade may have to be made if the problem is to be addressed.

timtonymanu
12-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Whats up with bones? did I miss something? Not that I care since he's with the Rockets now, just curious.

it's all the ditching the spurs curse.

See Maggette, Barry, and Nazr.

Spur-Addict
12-13-2008, 11:38 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410ZCJZEY1L._AA280_.jpg

"Big Red", Ha!

If he sustains this i'll be eating my words, syllable by syllable.

honestfool84
12-14-2008, 12:02 AM

Yes, Matt has been playing out of his mind. But the frontcourt is still the Spurs' weakness. Aside from Tim, Bonner is the only one playing very well. The Spurs still need a bigman who can help Timmy with interior D, and grab boards, especially against the bigger lineups in the West (Lakers, for example). That man, hopefully, is Ian Mahinmi. And if not, then a trade may have to be made if the problem is to be addressed.

we'll see.
but IF (that's a big if) bonner can keep playing the way he is playing, and space the floor, there is not an absolute dire need to pick up another big man.

thomas is starting to round into shape - we'll be fine.

nikegirl
12-14-2008, 04:47 AM

I think we have that big man in Kurt Thomas. I really feel that we should wait probably til mid-Jan to give Kurt a full assessment as he's been working his way back from injury and from not having consistent playing time. Kurt's exactly that guy we need beside Timmy and I feel he'll start doing a good job consistently after another month. If it's not happening, then it'll be time to really look into other players.

DannyT
12-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Big Shot Who? A quarter of the way through the season, and Matt Bonner leads the NBA in 3-point percentage, Big Red is rebounding, too.

sonic21
12-14-2008, 06:22 AM
number 4 in december? it's too early.

Manufan909
12-14-2008, 06:32 AM
I think KT's resurgence, combined with Bonner's ability to draw out bigs so Tim isn't outnumbered is good enough. Anything Ian can bring will be gravy. If the Clippers want to dump Kaman to save money and the Spurs only have to lose a combo of JV, Ime, Fin, Fab, KT, I'm happy.

I really hope Fin is traded, I want Mason to get 30 a night, and that's just not happening right now.

Whatever, I know Pop has it under control, I just hope he can find more minutes for Mason soon.

#2!
12-14-2008, 06:49 AM
spurs fans are ridiculous. complain about not getting enough attention, complain about getting too much attention. besides do you think phil jackson, byron scott, terry porter, doc rivers, or rick adleman were sitting at their computer this morning, mulling over the coming day, when suddenly they spew out hot coffee all over their keyboard while screaming

"HOLY FUCK, FOURTH? WE DOOOOOMEDZZ"

wildbill2u
12-14-2008, 10:29 AM

feature article on his medical problems last year and this in Houston paper

www.chron.com (http://www.chron.com) today.