PDA

View Full Version : Finally Mark Cuban can Toot his Horn

mouse
02-25-2005, 04:04 AM
Finally Mark Cuban can Toot his Horn

As Spur fans wake up Friday to notice a rose missing from there Spurs garden?

Maverick fans will wake up to a new sound, the sound of a large Horn, Keith Van Horn was the missing piece to mark Cuban's 2005 NBA Championship puzzle, and now the Mavericks have all the weapons they need to make that happen.

The NBA world will hear the sound of the Victory Horn as Mark Cuban holds that 2005 NBA Championship trophy high above his head he will have every reason to toot his horn, This is a great day For Maverick fans across the globe, unless your a spurs fan and your trying to help Rose remove that rusty Knife from his bloody back.

Sorry Spur fans but you will have no Horn to toot this season........... :lmao

caŽlo
02-25-2005, 04:13 AM
?

ShoogarBear
02-25-2005, 06:00 AM
I bet Cuban would like to toot Keith's horn.

BronxCowboy
02-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Sorry, mouse, but the Van Horn trade was the dumbest thing Cuban has done since trading for Antoine Walker. Not getting Nash back is up there too. But now, unless I'm mistaken, Dirk Nowitzki is the only player on that entire squad that can convince anybody that he's a 4. I'm sure that a team of 3 centers who never play because the don't know to, a half dozen or so small forwards and and a similar number of shooting gaurds can win a championship, right mouse? Sorry, but your team just got messed up even worse.

DJREN12
02-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Van Horn was to be Duncans nemisis out of the draft when they both came out, but Duncan dominated him and his team. I dont understand how after all these years he's the Mavericks mesiah?? He is a good player, but not a savior, Mavs will still be a defenseless playing team with him on it.

Jdspur20
02-25-2005, 09:48 AM
second dumbest trade in mavs history, 1st was trading J. kidd

Dex
02-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Cuban is a genius...because that 14 million that could've kept Steve Nash in Dallas six months ago is MUCH better spent on an injury-prone, underachieving Keith Van Horn. Who cares that a franchise player like Nash made Phoenix an instant division leader, now maybe _allas can average over 110 a game and still manage to struggle to be a contender.

There's a reason Mark Cuban couldn't even get a reality tv show to work.

maxpower
02-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Finally Mark Cuban can Toot his Horn

The funny thing is Cuban was just on Dunham & Miller on the Dallas Ticket and he tooted Keith Van Horn to the point of stating that "he wasn't brought in to be the 6th man, he wasn't brought in to be the 7th man, he wasn't brought in to be the 8th man, he was brought in to be 9th man."

A fourteen million dollar 9th man and he couldn't pay Nash?
:elephant :blah

I think there are spots left on the Houston bandwagon.

Jdspur20
02-25-2005, 10:26 AM
hey mouse can you spell 15 mil.?

Jdspur20
02-25-2005, 10:28 AM
hey max do you live in the DFW area? the ticket is a great station, plus, Craig Miller is a huge spurs fan.

Hook Dem
02-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Old broken down Van Horn is the saviour????? You've gone off the deep end Mouse!!!! Can you hear that??? That's Cuban calling you back to your knees!!!!! :lol

ladiesman
02-25-2005, 10:30 AM
The soft, get softer.... they lost the "D" in _allas, now the "a" is in geopardy....

Ladiesman

BigVee
02-25-2005, 10:31 AM
I have been watching KVH since he was a junior at Diamond Bar HS in SoCal. He will shoot the lights out until you really need a basket. And, if someone looks at him cross-eyed he disappears, plus he is hurt half the time. If you are counting on him to take the Mavericks to the promise land, you are in for a big disappointment. Bad trade. Sorry.

maxpower
02-25-2005, 10:39 AM
hey max do you live in the DFW area? the ticket is a great station, plus, Craig Miller is a huge spurs fan.

Live in San Antonio...but listen to the Ticket online.

There is nothing on the local ticket that compares. Heck I'd rather listen to the Dallas Ticket talk basketball. Any Spurs coverage by the local ticket does not even compare to what we get on these forums.

One of the morning guys and Cuban have gotten into shouting matches...to the point that Cuban was called the thinnest-skinned owner, this morning. I like that they don't cower to the sports guests. They go toe to toe with the big wigs like Cuban, Jones, Nelson and they don't back down.

Offensive-minded trade hard to defend

01:01 AM CST on Friday, February 25, 2005

The Mavericks told us Thursday that everyone in the organization was on the same page in trading for Keith Van Horn.

If that's true, I must have been reading from the wrong book these last eight months.

People around the league I respect, who have no particular love for all things Mavericks, believe this can be a good deal. It's certainly a good deal if Alan Henderson drifts back to Dallas early next week as a free agent.

But I can't help but think that the Mavericks fell back into the same, bad offensive habits that club officials swore they were trying to break.

Coach Don Nelson can stress the importance of chemistry and everyone accepting his role. Assistant coach Avery Johnson can preach defense until the veins pop out on his neck. Wave a 6-10 jump-shooter under Nelson's nose and watch out. The only place more dangerous is between Donald Trump and a reality TV show.

Or Jose Canseco and a book deal.

Nelson articulated how this trade fills the need for another shooter on the front line. He said Van Horn gives the Mavericks the flexibility and firepower to match up with Phoenix and Seattle in a shootout and the 3-point threat they need to stretch the defense and clear the lane for Dirk Nowitzki against San Antonio and other defensive-minded teams.

That's one view. My view is that the Mavericks repudiated – or at the very least undercut – their thrust of the last eight months.

The Mavericks talk defense and acquire Van Horn.

The San Antonio Spurs live defense and add Nazr Mohammed. You tell me which was the better defensive move.

And no longer tell me the Mavericks are interested in moving forward with a more conventional, defensive-minded look.

"I'd say that's far from the truth," said Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks president of basketball operations, arguing there's no shift in philosophy. "I think this is just a really skilled basketball player."

Donnie Nelson went on to say that Van Horn is a solid team defender who should improve under the tutelage of Johnson, but we left that part out. Why?

Because we don't believe it. When the two Nelsons talked about Van Horn in their news conference, they mentioned his versatility, his shooting touch and the fact he's a veteran. The forward's defense never came up until after the news conference when the two were asked about what Dallas was losing on the defensive end with Henderson gone.

"Would you guys have made that trade?" Don Nelson asked, addressing the skepticism he heard in repeated media questions. "We're probably up on things a little more than you guys are.

"It wasn't a slam dunk. We had to think about that issue."

Van Horn is a more talented player than Henderson and Calvin Booth combined. That doesn't mean he'll make the Mavericks a better team. We've been down that offensive road before with last season's glut of Nowitzki, Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison at forward.

The Mavericks say Van Horn will allow them to reduce Nowitzki's minutes. Feel free to file that under the category of believe it when you see it.

The Mavericks say Van Horn's presence won't take touches away from Jerry Stackhouse and that he remains the sixth man with all other reserves falling in line after him. Again, let's see how that works.

Weaknesses are exposed in the playoffs. Opponents would bracket Nowitzki and force Henderson to shoot the open jumper. The Mavericks weren't comfortable with that option.

Van Horn gives the Mavericks another shooter. But the more shooters the Mavericks have on the court, the more baskets they give up on the other end. How far has that gotten Dallas in the past?

It's hard to imagine that this is the move that pushes the Mavericks over the top.

"I don't know if you can ever talk titles on a deal," Don Nelson said. "But I think he gives us a better shot than before."

Van Horn does give the Mavericks a shot. A jump shot.

And not much more.

E-mail [email protected]

have to register, though...http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/dmoore/stories/022505dnspomoorecol.11411.html

adrienne
02-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Have any of you actually WATCHED the Mavericks lately? It sure doesn't sound like it.

Can you honestly tell me you think Alan Henderson is a better backup for Dirk than KVH? How many of you had HEARD of Alan Henderson before you decided to make fun of the Mavs for getting him in the Terry trade?

Stackhouse was a cancer, Terry wouldn't be at all serviceable as a point guard, and they would be a lottery team without Nash. Yet, somehow, Stack has been great, Terry has been great, and they're sitting right behind your Spurs in the toughest division in the league with a 6 game winning streak including victories over Phoenix, Seattle, and Sacramento twice.

Is it likely that they'll beat SA, or the Heat if they had a miracle run to the finals? No. But you act as though they're having the Timberwolve's season, when in fact Dirk is having an MVP-like season, they're 7th in the league in opposing fg% (just .15% higher than the Spurs), and they're just as likable to fans and enjoyable to watch as ever.

I must have missed when "being a fan" meant "having blind hatred for the other team".

ladiesman
02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
They should have thought defense instead of offense. They do not need another shooter who can't guard anybody....

Ladiesman

adrienne
02-25-2005, 11:40 AM
What defense did they lose in this trade, really? They have struggled at times ON OFFENSE this season. They get most of their defense from Dampier and the Twins (JHo and Quis). Last time I checked, they were all still on the roster.

Keith Van Horn is no Jamison Brewer ( :rolleyes), but he can score some points, get a few rebounds, and is definately an adequate BACKUP to Dirk Freakin' Nowitzki.

jalbre6
02-25-2005, 11:43 AM
I just thought it was a bizarre move to trade off Henderson and Booth with Erick Dampier hurt. I watched the Mavs last night actually, in Section 202. And watched them struggle with Sacto minus Peja. Songalia had a good night, and Mobley and Bibby stepped it up, but then again all three scored over 20 and Brad Miller was damn close to it. The problem with all this in my mind was that Nellie, Donnie, and AJ have been preaching better defense all season, and they bring in Keith Van Horn for two guys that brought D to the table.

In all fairness though, bitching about this trade is very similar to bitching about Malik getting shipped out. ESPN radio is saying that Van Horn will probably be the 2nd or 3rd guy off the bench anyway if Daniels can keep up his play of late.

travis2
02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Adrienne, be fair. Jamison Brewer will last just long enough to walk off the plane into SA, walk over to the ticket counter, and pick up another ticket to his home of record.

He was a throw-in. He isn't going to be on the roster.

CosmicCowboy
Adrienne...don't get your hopes up...Van Horn has a bad wheel (knee tendonitis) and can't even play 15 minutes a game without it blowing up on him. Cuban was right...he wil be 9/10 deep in the rotation and will just be there to put on the floor when Dirk takes a breather...BTW...your boy Dirk has been fantastic this year...IMHO if it wasn't for Nash, Dirk would be the clear MVP choice for 2004-2005...

adrienne
Yes, they struggled against a Kings team without Peja. Remember how they didn't have Dampier, Stackhouse, Van Horn, and played in Utah the night before?

Yeah.

adrienne
02-25-2005, 11:48 AM
My hopes aren't up, CC. I already said I'm not expecting any magical year here. But it's just funny to me that people are acting as though they are playing worse than the Hawks, and completely discounting what you have to admit is a very impressive 6-game win streak with several key players absent. KVH is no savior, but he CAN help them as far as their sometimes struggling offense goes.

maxpower
02-25-2005, 12:00 PM
but he CAN help them as far as their sometimes struggling offense goes.

That has always been the mav's modus operandi..."let's outscore them."

jalbre6
02-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Yes, they struggled against a Kings team without Peja. Remember how they didn't have Dampier, Stackhouse, Van Horn, and played in Utah the night before?

Yeah.

:lol Oh boy.

Utah is a bottom feeding under 20 win team. It took a pretty big rally to knock the Jazz off. And in all fairness Henderson and Booth didn't do shit Wednesday. Matter of fact, I don't remember if either of them even scored, and Hendu started.

Look, I don't really think Van Horn is a good pickup for what I feel Dallas needed. People up here are going to tire awfully quickly of fifty win seasons and second round playoff exits, just like in San Antonio before the first title. I understand it's not like Ben Wallace was all of a sudden going to be available for those two, but I feel that for a serious deadline deal that would really help the club, Van Horn wasn't the answer. Frankly, I don't know who they could have gotten that would have.

infinite styles
02-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Can you honestly tell me you think Alan Henderson is a better backup for Dirk than KVH?

Ummmm......nobody said he was a better backup. They just commented on how Dallas has no need for another shooter and could have been better off going after a defender. Plus Van Horn will only fill up the injured list.

I must have missed when "being a fan" meant "having blind hatred for the other team".

You didn't miss anything except for the part about rooting against the other teams and questioning their already questionable trades.

dcole50
02-25-2005, 12:25 PM
I bet Cuban would like to toot Keith's horn.
:lol

spur219
02-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Who lets Mouse in here. It is clear that he knows nothing about basketball. Cuban got a player who can't play a lick of defense and now they are short in big men. Oh ya I forgot Shawn Bradley will lead them to the promise land. Hey Mouse get a grip.

SpursChampsIII
02-25-2005, 12:45 PM
This post is about as funny as the picture this little troll posted on this web site a few months ago. The only thing I like about Mouse is when he calls in and gives Don Harris hell. I like the way the conversation typically starts, "Let me tell you something, Don Harris." Other than that he's pretty much worthless, and like the Mavs...no threat to us.

ladiesman
02-25-2005, 01:54 PM
What defense did they lose in this trade, really? They have struggled at times ON OFFENSE this season.

I did not say they lost defense.... I said they should have FOCUSED on defense.... And remember, those "decent" stats KVH brings to the table, they were in the mighty east conference..... The only positive on this trade, is that they get to unload a lot of $$$$ next season I think...

Ladiesman

Rummpd
02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Bill Walton said what were the Mavs thinking when they acquired Van Horn - plays much the same position as Dirk, doesn't play defense etc.

He dissed the trade and so do I. I spent a year watching Van Horn while living in WI and he was the softest player I ever saw period.

mouse
02-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Who lets Mouse in here.

Pssssst ! brah it's called the www... unless your dad is Al Gore shut your pie hole...

It is clear that he knows nothing about basketball.
You know nothing about having sex with females but that doesn't stop you from posting either..
If I did know everything like yourself ,, wouldn't I be writing for SI? That is what the www is for, folks like me to learn you moron :lmao

Cuban got a player who can't play a lick of defense and now they are short in big men. Oh ya I forgot Shawn Bradley will lead them to the promise land.
Then why don't you e mail Mark Cuban and tell him he knows nothing about owning a team?

Hey Mouse get a grip.

I tried but your sisters nipples are to slippery :lmao

You will see Tonight the the new and Improved Mighty Mighty Dallas Mavericks as The Horn will be loud tonight

Mark in Austin
02-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Keith van Horrible does have some skills, but mentally, he is softer than charmin. I honestly can't think of a bigger choker in the league.

mouse
02-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Anyone who uses a screen name from a cartoon should not try to run smack.

I take pride in my beer drinking and lack of education, so your Grammar smack is not fresh, but If your willing to donate your ass to smack science tonight I will be most happy to oblige you on your anal request,

You have 20 bucks that says Mavericks lose tonight?

mouse
02-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Keith van Horrible does have some skills, but mentally, he is softer than charmin. I honestly can't think of a bigger choker in the league.

Bro your telling me? I invested over 200 dollars on Rookie cards back in 98 .

jalbre6
02-26-2005, 06:36 PM
I honestly can't think of a bigger choker in the league.

Steve Smith. Jamal Mashburn. Keith van Horn. The unholy trilogy of choke artists.

Spurminator
02-26-2005, 07:38 PM
What defense did they lose in this trade, really? They have struggled at times ON OFFENSE this season.

Their struggles on offense can be attributed to the number of injuries they've had to key scorers like Daniels and Stackhouse. They still had success because they had decent depth on the front line. Now they have no depth, and they've reverted back to the kind of lineup that hopes to win every game by shooting 50% and holding the opponent to 49%.

Now, if it's true that Henderson will likely return to the Mavs, then I'd say this was probably a good trade... but I still question the rationale for depleating the inside depth for a scorer who really isn't any better than, like, 8 of the other guys on the team on the offensive end.

Pandaemonaeon
02-28-2005, 03:55 AM
You guys seem to be forgetting that Dallas got rid of Booth (had a horrible contract that runs for years and was a huge disappointment) for someone that can do something and albeit has an even larger contract, is shorter, and could be a great trade asset this coming off-season. The only downside to this deal is losing Henderson, but he'll be back in a day or two anyway.

Duncanoypi
02-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Pandaemonaeon of Philippines?

Useruser666
02-28-2005, 08:55 AM
You guys seem to be forgetting that Dallas got rid of Booth (had a horrible contract that runs for years and was a huge disappointment) for someone that can do something and albeit has an even larger contract, is shorter, and could be a great trade asset this coming off-season. The only downside to this deal is losing Henderson, but he'll be back in a day or two anyway.

So when did Dallas start caring about contracts?

caŽlo
02-28-2005, 09:31 AM
hey duncanoypi

fella pinoy here

Pandaemonaeon
02-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Pandaemonaeon of Philippines?

Yep, that's me :D

So when did Dallas start caring about contracts?

Okay, they traded Jamison for starters, a good player but is overpaid, for shorter contracts. Then they allowed Nash to walk, also a great player but wants a long term contract despite only having 2-3 years left and breaks down late in the season. Then they refused to trade Walker to New Jersey for Kidd straight up without them taking TAW (aka. the deal killer). And now you have the KVH deal. The critics bitch and moan about Cuban's irresponsibility when it comes to handling contracts and now that he's doing the right thing, he still gets shit for it :rolleyes:

Duff McCartney
02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
The problem with Cuban isn't always the contracts...it's the type of players they get.

Rummpd
02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Cuban is an idiot period for sticking with Nellie that is why he has not won a championship = he has had the players just not the committment at anytime to defense at all.

Carnie
02-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I have to agree with Rum. The mavericks had everything they needed, But time after time the coach choked.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-28-2005, 06:47 PM
I disagree, look the fact is that in order to win a championship in the NBA there are two possible formulas, 1) the most common is to have the best player(s) in the league. Almost every champion the past 15 years has had MJ, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Robinson, or Hakim on it. Coincidence? I think not, the fact is that every good team has a good player, but only the GREAT ones win championships.

2) The rare Portland beating Philladaphia or Detroit beating Los Angelos where extreamly good defense and team ball wins a championship. These are very rare because extrodniary talent has a way of beating a lot of good role players.

Dallas just wasn't one of those few lucky teams to have a great, great player on their roster.

Pandaemonaeon
03-01-2005, 04:13 AM
The problem with Cuban isn't always the contracts...it's the type of players they get.

If you said this 2 years ago, then I would've agreed with you. However this season, Cuban has done everything but. Well, the KVH deal one pissed me off at first, but it's esentially getting rid of Booth so I'm all up for it.

Cuban is an idiot period for sticking with Nellie that is why he has not won a championship = he has had the players just not the committment at anytime to defense at all.

True. I like it better when the Little General was running things. It's more traditional.

Smackie Chan
03-11-2005, 09:46 AM
The time is near when Mark Cuban will unfold his master plan to win the 2005 NBA Championship trophy, and on that day the Mighty Mighty Keith Van Horn will blow so loud ?
Maverick fans in Germany will wake from the dead...

Hook Dem
03-11-2005, 10:16 AM
The time is near when Mark Cuban will unfold his master plan to win the 2005 NBA Championship trophy, and on that day the Mighty Mighty Keith Van Horn will blow so loud ?
Maverick fans in Germany will wake from the dead...
Must not have been last night! :lol

CHAMPS AGAIN
03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
This is what the Suns will do to the Spurs in the playoffs

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/2373/curbstomp1wq.gif

how would you feel if that was you ,not funny its just a game.

Banjo Boy
03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
,not funny .

Your right ,watching you on your lunch break is much funnier.. :lmao

http://img16.exs.cx/img16/9181/835homerdoughnut7of0mu.gif

Solid D
03-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Hey, man - if someone is looking for a good Van horn...my couzin can hook you up with something cheap....and it works good and everything!!!

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/ed/ef/7d_1.JPG

mouse
03-11-2005, 10:49 AM
^RACK^ :lmao

http://i136.exs.cx/img136/3320/12847od9ps.gif

Hook Dem
03-11-2005, 11:09 AM
This is what the Suns will do to the Spurs in the playoffs

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/2373/curbstomp1wq.gif
http://img164.exs.cx/img164/644/banjo5xu.th.jpg (http://img164.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img164&image=banjo5xu.jpg)

Al Sharpton
03-11-2005, 11:14 AM
With you still playing it :lmao

ShoogarBear
03-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Classy, mouse. What, you couldn't find any vids of the planes hitting the WTC?