PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Timberwolves Dec. 13

timvp
12-14-2008, 04:50 AM
The last time the San Antonio Spurs were in Minnesota, Tony Parker dropped 55 points on the Timberwolves to help the Spurs win a double overtime thriller and get the first victory of the 2008-09 season. On Friday night, Parker’s 16 fourth quarter points helped the Spurs secure their 14th win of the season.

Entering the fourth with only one point, Parker went 7-for-10 in the quarter and also dished off two assists. The biggest individual shot of the final quarter was authored by Matt Bonner. With the T’Wolves trimming the lead to nine points with six minutes remaining, Bonner hit a three-pointer and Minnesota never broke the double-digit barrier again. When all was said and done, the Spurs had won by a final score of 98-86 to win their fifth straight game.

Regarding the T’Wolves, Al Jefferson is a beast on the low block. There isn’t an NBA player who scores as consistently against Tim Duncan as Minnesota’s starting center. He has a disgusting array of post moves to go along with a delicate touch around the rim. It’s amazing that the T’Wolves don’t give him the ball virtually every time up the court.

The win for the Spurs was another good one. Minnesota has been a difficult destination as of late and even though San Antonio went through stretches where their energy was non-existent, the Spurs were able to turn it up in the second half to come out on top.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
35 minutes, 17 points, 13 rebounds, five blocks, five turnovers
7-for-13 from the field, 3-for-6 at the line

Tim Duncan had a decent enough outing. Offensively, he scored when he was aggressive on the low post and he also drained a few jumpers. He got caught unaware a few times and was stripped of the ball by help defenders and his passes weren’t as crisp as usual – leading to his five turnovers. On the other end of the court, his individual defense against Jefferson wasn’t very good but his help defense was impressive. When the small bigmen of Minnesota tried to muscle up shots around the rim, Duncan was there to block the attempt. It wasn’t an especially good performance by Duncan but he was one of the players who turned up the energy in the second half to get the win.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
29 minutes, 16 points, four rebounds
6-for-17 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers, 3-for-4 at the line

Manu Ginobili had one of his more hyper games since his return. He was quick to loose balls and made a number of hustle plays. However, Ginobili was a bit too quick with his trigger. A number of times he took quick shots before letting the offense create an open look. As a result of him looking often at the basket, Ginobili finished without an assist or a turnover. Overall though, it was a step in the right direction for the Argentine guard. He’s starting to get his controlled recklessness back, which is an important aspect of his game.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
36 minutes, 17 points, nine assists, four rebounds
7-for-15 from the field, 3-for-4 at the line

Tony Parker’s first three quarters were rather interesting. He missed all five field goals he attempted but he didn’t seem too distressed about his struggles. Instead, he stayed patient – sometimes overly so – and was content letting others carry the load. In the fourth, he became much more aggressive looking for his own shot and was able to completely shake off his previous struggles. On the night, he also handed out nine assists and didn’t have a turnover. Defensively, he was sleepwalking in the first half but turned up his intensity in the final two quarters. On the whole, Parker’s night had to be considered a good one.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
28 minutes, 12 points, seven rebounds
5-for-9 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers

Michael Finley didn’t have the best shot selection but he knocked down a number of difficult looks. Defensively, he was solid once again and did a great job helping out on the defensive glass. His offseason weight loss has made him much more agile and he also looks to be jumping better. In the last five games, Finley is averaging 12.2 points per game on 53.2% shooting from the field and 47.4% from beyond the three-point arc.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
29 minutes, 12 points, four rebounds, three assists
5-for-7 from the field, 2-for-3 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner once again shot the ball well. He seems to be draining just about every open look he’s getting from the perimeter. Bonner also mixed in a few good passes and his movement without the ball is getting better and better. Defensively, his one-on-one defense was good but he struggled on his rotations for the first time in a while. He also didn’t do a very good job on the defensive glass. Although, all things considered, the Spurs have to be ecstatic with what they are getting from their center position.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
21 minutes, five points, two rebounds, two assists
2-for-6 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers

Roger Mason, Jr. is going through his first slump in a Spurs uniform. He just hasn’t been able to figure out where he fits now that all the pieces are in place. It also didn’t help that he was missing wide open jumpers against the T’Wolves. The good news is he continues to shoot the ball confidently, which should allow him to break out of this slump sooner than later. In his last five games, Mason is shooting 39.5% from the floor and 29.7% from downtown.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
22 minutes, nine points, six rebounds, three steals, one assist
3-for-5 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers, 2-for-2 at the line

George Hill quietly had one of his better all-around games of the season. Defensively, he was exceptional. His one-on-one defense was good but he really shined when it came to his help defense and his rebounding. Hill’s defensive energy seemed to be lacking over the last week but he had boundless energy on Friday night. Thanks to his defensive exploits, Pop used him to close out the game. On offense, Hill picked his spots nicely and coolly switched between point guard and shooting guard duties.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
18 minutes, six points, four rebounds, three blocks
1-for-4 from the field, 4-for-4 at the line

With the Spurs getting beat on the offensive boards, Kurt Thomas was called into action to add some physicality. He did a great job of doing just that. He rebounded well and defended the rim with authority – as his three blocked shots suggest. On offense, Thomas set good picks and his physical play led to a season-high four free throw attempts. After a slow start to the season, Thomas seems to be finding his niche on this team.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
Ten minutes, one point, three rebounds, two assists, two blocks
0-for-2 from the field, 1-for-2 at the line

Fabricio Oberto continues his positive play. He was a factor on the boards and even blocked two shots – doubling his season total. In fact, he has three of his four blocks in his last two games. Offensively, even though his shot wasn't dropping, he was still effective. He set sturdy picks and he made a few fantastic passes. The area to be most excited about Oberto’s progression is his rebounding. In November, he averaged 7.8 rebounds per 48 minutes. In December, that number has risen to 13.2.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
Ten minutes, one assist, one block

Since Minnesota doesn’t have a perimeter scorer that needs extra attention, Bruce Bowen wasn’t needed much on Friday night. He had a few quality defensive plays while he was in the game but he didn’t play in the final 32 minutes of the contest.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Pop coached a good game against the T’Wolves. He recognized the need for toughness and Thomas delivered when he was called upon. Playing Hill extra minutes was good to see and had positive results. My only complaint is how he’s handling Mason’s minutes. Mason has had five consecutive games with less than 30 minutes and had only 21 minutes against Minnesota. I’d like to see Pop carve out a role for Mason that has him playing 30-32 minutes per game.

Offense

The offense started out very slowly but each quarter the Spurs scored more points than the previous quarter. By the fourth, the offense was rolling and they were able to put 32 points on the board. For the night, the Spurs shot 46.8% from the floor, connected on 8-of-18 three-pointers and had 23 assists to only ten turnovers. Don’t look now but San Antonio seems to be climbing the ranks offensively. In their last nine victories, the Spurs are averaging 108.6 points per game.

Defense

The Spurs did a great job defending the T’Wolves. They set a season-high with 12 blocks and held Minnesota to 40.9% field goal shooting. Take out the 8-for-8 showing by the T’Wolves in garbage time at the end of the game and that percentage lowers to 35%. The Spurs also did good work when it came to closing out on shooters, as the T’Wolves shot just 2-for-6 on three-pointers. The rebounding was a struggle at some points but San Antonio came away with a 47-44 edge in that category.

Drive to Five

At 14-8, the Spurs have to be very happy with where they sit. As long as they stay healthy, they should be able to have a good chance at a high seed. On Sunday, the Spurs take on the 2-22 Oklahoma City Thunder. A letdown here is unacceptable, especially considering the difficult set of games on the upcoming schedule. A stomping of the Thunder would be a nice way to get some revenge for the fired PJ Carlesimo.

Believe.

DannyT
12-14-2008, 04:56 AM
guess who leads the team in steals....?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg

MacGyver
12-14-2008, 04:58 AM
Trade Parker for Al Jefferson!

DannyT
12-14-2008, 05:01 AM
we need dirk

kace
12-14-2008, 05:48 AM
great read :tu

but i think we're giving a pass to tim who was really abused, as usual, by Jefferson. It was impressive. it's really rare for tim.

Tim is playing trully greatly now and it's true that jefferson has incredible moves around the rim but this season he really abused tim (and in a duncan's fashion moreover). The double needs to come better against him. This guy is really good.

td_tp_manu
12-14-2008, 05:48 AM
A stomping of the Thunder would be a nice way to get some revenge for the fired PJ Carlesimo.

:toast

sonic21
12-14-2008, 06:20 AM
thanks again :tu

Texas_Ranger
12-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Nice.:)...where is Udoka? He scored 3 points:rollin

Manufan909
12-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Nice.:)...where is Udoka? He scored 3 points:rollin

Even timvp forgot about him.:lmao

Brazil
12-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I have appreciated the fact that TP didn't fall into the frustration side during the 3 first quarters. He focused on passing and trying to help. He begins to look like an experienced vet :)

raspsa
12-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Jefferson is an unabashed Duncan admirer who has patterned his game after his idol. Living testimonial to TD's greatness IMO.

silverblackfan
12-14-2008, 09:32 AM
timvp, another great read. I had to miss the game due to a X-Mas party, and forgot to set my dvr recorder. Your recap helps to get a feeling of how the game flowed and everyone played. NBA.com summaries are just not enough to determine how the stats fall. If the wolves can start modeling their lineup around Al and improve their defense, good things are going to happen.

lurker23
12-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Michael Finley didn’t have the best shot selection but he knocked down a number of difficult looks.

Isn't this one sentence the story of Finley's career with the Spurs? I admit to having a slight bias against Finley, but the thing that always irks me the most about him is that out of all the players we have, he's the one who takes the most shots out-of-rhythm of the normal offense. Granted, some of that is Pop's doing, who implores him to shoot at all costs, but Finley always takes some of the hardest 18-foot fade-aways of the entire team. Then he goes and knocks down a good percentage of them, and I'm left with simply scratching my head and applauding for the wily veteran who always seems to have another shot left in the tank.

dougp
12-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Big problem vs. Jefferson for Tim is that he doesn't have any good help defense on the inside - no one's playing legit weak side for him. I'm not sure why the Spurs don't use Nelson's Dirk Defense scheme against Jefferson - use a small guy on the weak side to pop in when he does his spin and layup move.

DPG21920
12-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Timvp: don't you think that the help defense vs. the individual defense is the story of Duncan's career as of late? He is not that great of an individual defender (good, but not great) but he is an excellent help defender and anchor. I have noticed that many players are able to score on Tim during the course of the game when they get an iso with him. Do you agree?

The Truth #6
12-14-2008, 01:33 PM
The Wolves are a mess. I would think Jefferson would be the leader of that team, but no one seems to be in charge.

SPURS DY-NASTY
12-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Once Mason finds his niche, this team is going to be dangerous on the offensive end. i'm kinda of surprised on how long it is taking him to find his new role with everyone back. i mean he adapted to the spurs system of play faster than adapting to ginobili coming back

silk
12-14-2008, 01:44 PM
It's true mason has to find his niche, but not evrything is on him

I wonder if manu, tony, could not do a better job integrating/involving him

the same for the manu/hill combo which could do better

Jefferson is very duncan-like on offense but he's still far from him on defense

timvp
12-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Isn't this one sentence the story of Finley's career with the Spurs? I admit to having a slight bias against Finley, but the thing that always irks me the most about him is that out of all the players we have, he's the one who takes the most shots out-of-rhythm of the normal offense. Granted, some of that is Pop's doing, who implores him to shoot at all costs, but Finley always takes some of the hardest 18-foot fade-aways of the entire team. Then he goes and knocks down a good percentage of them, and I'm left with simply scratching my head and applauding for the wily veteran who always seems to have another shot left in the tank.If Finley always hit his difficult shots at a high percentage, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But he has a tendency to let a few misses snowball and then he'll start passing up open shots and stop playing defense. He's always seems to be on the edge of going into a massive slump, which is why I'd rather the Spurs not rely on him come playoff time.

Timvp: don't you think that the help defense vs. the individual defense is the story of Duncan's career as of late? He is not that great of an individual defender (good, but not great) but he is an excellent help defender and anchor. I have noticed that many players are able to score on Tim during the course of the game when they get an iso with him. Do you agree?Eh, I don't really agree. When Duncan struggles defensively, it's not always due to an individual matchup. He's had a lot of good one-on-one performances this year. He's also had a few sub par games in terms of help defense. To start the season, he wasn't rotating very well at all.

Thankfully, by the time the playoffs roll around, Duncan has usually elevated his defense to where he's near dominant in both areas.

Manufan909
12-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Jefferson is an unabashed Duncan admirer who has patterned his game after his idol. Living testimonial to TD's greatness IMO.

If the Spurs could somehow swing for Al, that would be the shiznits. I think he might die of joy, getting to play with Timmy.:p:

benefactor
12-16-2008, 08:03 AM
If the Spurs could somehow swing for Al, that would be the shiznits. I think he might die of joy, getting to play with Timmy.:p:
I already had the fantasy pass through my brain too. The problem is that he is under contract with the Wolves all the way through 2013...and I am betting that he his pretty much untouchable from a trade standpoint.

TDMVPDPOY
12-16-2008, 08:55 AM
didnt al jeff signed an extention over the summer?

i feel sorry for him, wasting his talent on that team with a pathetic admin who cant get things right building a team around him to compete whether for a championship or playoff spot.....