PDA

View Full Version : Malik Says Goodbye

CyberBob
02-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Don Harris was at Malik's house Thursday night. If you missed it, you have to watch the live message Malik delivered to San Antonio.

Malik Says Goodbye (http://woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=1B15ED07-750B-4C12-B66D-58B5A51B3F4E)

GrandeDavid
02-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Very moving. I loved it!

boutons
02-25-2005, 07:52 AM
"requires Active-X/Internet Exploder."

Hey, CyberBob, how TF can you people, after 10's of $Bs lost to MS IE vulnerabilities, STILL REQUIRE your web site visitors to run the widely detested and horribly compromising Active-X and Internet Exploder?

Instead framing your video in those cute little window skins, just make the videos .wmv so we see them only with, eg, nothing more dangerous than Windows Media Player called from any (non-MS) browser.

Has anybody been able to capture this video to disk and make it available as simple .wmv?

romsho
02-25-2005, 07:59 AM
That was truly brutal. How can you not help but love that guy? He has a passion for the game and for the Spurs organization that won't be replaced. I think the trade makes them a better team, and I don't think Malik was ever going to be the type of impact player he has been in the past with this particular mix because the minutes were never going to be there- but it just hurts to see a guy like that go. You always hear the "it's a business" axiom thrown around when other guys in other cities get moved and notice in a detached way that it seems kind of sad to see it happen- but this one truly hurts because of the kind of person Malik Rose is and what he has meant to the Spurs- a hard working winner. He represents the kind of attitude and will that make you proud to root for a guy and a team like that. He will be sorely missed.

Uncle Donnie
02-25-2005, 08:11 AM
I got frustrated sometimes with Malik on the court but usually because I thought he tried to do too much. I guess if a player has to have a flaw though, that's much better than not giving the effort. Malik always gave 110%.

And as for Malik the person, that goodbye message says it all. This trade definitely makes the Spurs better, but damn it sucks to lose a guy like that.

Godspeed Malik!

Taco
02-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Very moving goodbye by Malik

God bless I know I will be rooting for you good luck.

Shelly
02-25-2005, 09:07 AM
:(

Good luck, Malik!

Samurai Jane
02-25-2005, 09:21 AM
I echo Romsho and Uncle Donnie's thoughts. I always thought that Malik's biggest flaw was that he tried too hard.. sometimes working out of his comfort zone, maybe in an effort to make Pop happy? Anyway, I don't know enough about that other guy to feel good about this trade right now. I saw that on tv last night and it brought tears to my eyes.

We love you Malik!!!! God bless you!!

sbsquared
02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Malik has always been one of my favorite players, not because of any great skills, but because of how hard he worked and because of what a great person he is. That segment last night brought tears to my eyes and I feel very sad right now.

I'll have to withhold judgement on the value of this trade because I don't know anything about Mohammed. But I do know that the Championship Parade this year will not be the same without Malik's great smile and enthusiasm and great sense of humor.

Goodbye and good luck Malik - hope to see you back before too long!

mattyc
02-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Gut wrenching.

The only Spurs I've felt a stronger emotional bond towards than Lik, are David and Sean.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 10:19 AM
man that made my eyes water

boutons
02-25-2005, 10:24 AM
I wonder what effect Malik's trade has on other players, esp the younger ones?

In the 03 summer and the Get-Kidd phase, Tony repeatedly said "I know it's a buisness" but I bet he really KNOWS now, up close and personal, what "$$business" can do to a player.

For the young players who haven't seen such a trade before, it might serve to shock them into more serious professionalism, rather than just "playing" at basketball.

whottt
02-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I have never seen a player take a trade harder than Malik is taking it...although Elliot did want to come back to SA really bad.

It almost seems like someone died.

The thing is, Malik is going to do ok. You know his teamates will ask for him to get a ring. Malik WILL win over the savvy New York Fans. And if he sticks there he will bank on big city endorsements like he never could in SA. And if he is given a chance to play, as badly as the Knicks need someone to play like he does, his career, from an individual standpoint, will reach an all time high point...And he is making a ton of money courtesy of the Spurs and Pop...

I'm not that sad for Malik, he will be fine...I'm more sad for us.

Sometimes the sentimental thing is the right thing to do...like keeping Drob instead of getting Webber...like letting go of the pursuit Jason Kidd because of the obvious talent of Tony Parker. Sometimes less is more...

And I just can't see that we are going to be better off letting go of a guy that wanted to be a Spur as badly as Malik did.

I mean we twice bumped off the Lakers with Malik getting substantial minutes on Shaq....what more do you want from a bigman? There is no harder task you can give a bigman...and Malik was always up to that challenge. Let's hope Mohammed does it half as well, should we run into Shaq in the playoffs.

But we already knew Malik could do it...

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Simply a sad day in Spurs history.

Malik's always going to be a Spur. I hope he can someday return to the organization as a player or front office.

nbascribe
02-25-2005, 11:20 AM
I wish Malik all the best. These trades for this team hurt because we usually get good guys from jump. It's tough to see Malik leave because he has been here for so long.

Best of luck Liki

greg

Louae
02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Sometimes the sentimental thing is the right thing to do...like keeping Drob instead of getting Webber...like letting go of the pursuit Jason Kidd because of the obvious talent of Tony Parker. Sometimes less is more...

And I just can't see that we are going to be better off letting go of a guy that wanted to be a Spur as badly as Malik did.

I mean we twice bumped off the Lakers with Malik getting substantial minutes on Shaq....what more do you want from a bigman? There is no harder task you can give a bigman...and Malik was always up to that challenge. Let's hope Mohammed does it half as well, should we run into Shaq in the playoffs.

But we already knew Malik could do it...

Truer words were never spoken. We lost a lot of fire and heart today. I hope it was worth it.

blackbucket
02-25-2005, 11:35 AM
:depressed

Malik, good people

:depressed

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Did you see him break down when he was saying goodbye to his teammates? Man that was...that was tought to watch. (BTW what does keep pounding the rock mean...)

blackbucket
02-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Someone can elaborate but they have a sign in the locker room that says after pounding on a rock a thousand times or whatever, it isn't that final blow that broke it. It is each and every strike that got it to break.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 11:48 AM
This is up in the Spurs locker room ...

''When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone on before.'' — Jacob Riis

book lion
02-25-2005, 11:55 AM
I agree, Malik could always be counted on to put forth 110% on the floor, mistakes made were from trying too hard. He could be seen from the bench jumping up cheering and supporting the guys who were out on the floor! He always struck me as a regular guy, not so star struck by the dollars or himself that he would forget his early days and others from similar circumstances. I also always thought he was one of the more intelligent players in the league. I remember the story about his moving back home and sharing a room with his little brother, I thought of that when he got the solid contract, that is the contract that's now his Spurs albatross.
I miss him already.

diceman
02-25-2005, 11:56 AM
This is up in the Spurs locker room ...

''When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone on before.'' — Jacob Riis

I believe it is also posted in each language that each Spurs is native to. :spin

bigzak25
02-25-2005, 12:53 PM
"keep poundin that rock"

:cry

baseline bum
02-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I have never seen a player take a trade harder than Malik is taking it...

How about Alvin? His career pretty much ended after being traded from the Spurs. He had just opened a club, and I'm sure he had to be a bit excited about playing with David. After that trade it's like his whole life fell apart.

Quasar
02-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey Boutons

You can use this link to view the video. It's not too hard to lift it from the source of the webpage. If you type this in firefox's address bar, it should open in MediaPlayer:
http://video.woai.com/viewer/content/special.php?Art_ID=87694,565&Format_ID=2&BitRate_ID=8&Contract_ID=14&Obj_ID=4

spur219
02-25-2005, 01:20 PM
This shit ain't right. IT'S NOT RIGHT! Why did he have to go. Malik not only played with heart but kept the team together and kept the chemistry running smoothly. This is by far for me the saddest moment in Spurs history. I still have a knot in my throat and it will never clear. It's gonna be hard to be in a Spurs game and look over to the bench and Malik is not there. I am gonna hate to see him in a Knicks uniform.

Extra Stout
02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
How about Alvin? His career pretty much ended after being traded from the Spurs. He had just opened a club, and I'm sure he had to be a bit excited about playing with David. After that trade it's like his whole life fell apart.Malik's got Jesus, and also Dave on speed dial. He'll be aight.

Ishta
02-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I agree with one of the other posters.. I was much younger when Sean was traded and I remember being upset. This one has really gotten to me. He was, and is a heck of a player that brings a lot to his team. I think the Spurs will miss his fire on the court, and I know the fans will miss him even more..He will always be a Spur to me, and a heck of a lot of other people as well. :depressed

boutons
02-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I expect that the 21st March will be a very emotional day again, second only to NYKnick Malik returning to SBC next season.

wildbill2u
02-25-2005, 02:34 PM
You know in his heart Malik will always be a Spur. By saying that he and his family want to keep their home in San Antonio, he joins a lot of much-loved Spurs who were traded, but came home to be wonderful members of our community: Gervin, Sean, etc.

So this isn't goodbye, just, "Hasta luego, compadre."

Tom_Foolery
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
That was the toughest trade I've had to endure as a fan. That goodbye was really tough to watch. Watching it, you almost want to reconsider the trade and take it back, but it's a done deal.

I think I was moved because I always viewed Malik as "The Ultimate Underdog". He was always playing guys bigger and taller than him, and he was always the professional. He didn't trash talk, he was always considerate. He might have bumped heads with Pop but I think this trade wasn't about that. It was about the Spurs lack of bigs and Malik's lack of size.

I also thought he was always underrated. But Malik always tried. Nobody can say that Malik didn't try 100% when he was on the floor.

Definitely a tough pill to swallow.

At first, I thought the trade was good, and it probably will help us. But I do feel a bit bummed.

If anything, I would've rather seen Rasho go instead. I could live with Nazr starting and keeping Malik here in San Antonio. I'm surprised they would've rather have Malik more than Rasho. I'm sure Rasho must've been offered.

texbumTHElife
02-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Too bad the NBAPA doesnt allow players to rework and reduce their contracts. I have no doubt in my mind that if that was an option Malik would have done it in a heartbeat to stay here. I personally couldnt stand watching Malik on the court but I know he was a great person and a pleasure to be around. He was a true Spur off the court and I can respect that.

Spurs_rock05
02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
That was truly brutal. How can you not help but love that guy? He has a passion for the game and for the Spurs organization that won't be replaced. I think the trade makes them a better team, and I don't think Malik was ever going to be the type of impact player he has been in the past with this particular mix because the minutes were never going to be there- but it just hurts to see a guy like that go. You always hear the "it's a business" axiom thrown around when other guys in other cities get moved and notice in a detached way that it seems kind of sad to see it happen- but this one truly hurts because of the kind of person Malik Rose is and what he has meant to the Spurs- a hard working winner. He represents the kind of attitude and will that make you proud to root for a guy and a team like that. He will be sorely missed.

well said

DuncanMVP
02-25-2005, 03:59 PM
I hated to watch that....

mouse
02-25-2005, 04:12 PM
RACK CYBER BOB !!

Very nice of you to take the time to give all the Spur fans from out of the state and country to be part of this huge event. And I know about 6 other websites that would love to have that link. and yet you choose ST to be the one to share it with..

rack CB he Rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spurs_rock05
02-25-2005, 05:38 PM
I wanted you to know I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph and I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

‘Cause I’m broken when I’m lonesome
And I don’t feel right when you’re gone away

You've gone away, you don't feel me, anymore

The worst is over now and we can breathe again
I wanna hold you high, you steal my pain away
There’s so much left to learn, and no one left to fight
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

[x2]
‘Cause I’m broken when I’m open
And I don’t feel like I am strong enough
‘Cause I’m broken when I’m lonesome
And I don’t feel right when you’re gone away

'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

You've gone away
You don't feel me here anymore

this is how i feel broken

exstatic
02-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Quasar, the hotlink worked just fine in Firefox. Why they can't just link it like that in the first place (CyberBob!!!) is beyond me, and apparently them, too.

milkyway21
02-25-2005, 07:39 PM
this is so SAD :depressed Malik has the worst season ever as a Spur but with his passion he is worth more than Nazr, well, Nazr is good no doubt, but Malik is a locker-room persona. If the Spur just signed him a little bit less than what he got he could have stayed in S.A.

Goodbye Malik, you are always in the heart of the Spurs fans, just like Sean & DRob...

sa_butta
02-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Man that one really got to me I didnt feel so bad until
I saw how much he really loved it here. Sorry Malik maybe
in like 4yrs brother.

ca®lo
02-25-2005, 08:05 PM
if only malik could lessen the money indicated in his contract..

question is.. would he? could he?

TheWriter
02-25-2005, 08:29 PM
sucks

JsnSA
02-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Damnit...I almost never can see the feeds on WOAI for some reason.

It just keeps loading and loading. Thats IF I switch explorer from firefox...which they still dont support for some reason.

------------------------

Thanks Quasar. Just noticed the link you posted.

That one worked fine.

Very sad video indeed.

Somehow I get the feeling we havent seen the last of Malik as a Spur though.
I think some day he will be back.

Goddess Spur
02-25-2005, 09:31 PM
:(

That was really sad. He's been a part of the Spurs for so long and his contributions on and off the court have been undeniable, so you hate to see someone like that go. Best of luck in NY, Malik.