PDA

View Full Version : The last of The Three Musketeers

Ocotillo
02-25-2005, 09:22 AM
It was 1997 and Spurs fans were looking forward to the new season with tremendous hope and anticipation. The previous season had been dismal as superstar David Robinson had been injured and without their hall of fame center, the Spurs were doomed to a year without any hope of even reaching the playoffs. Spurs coach Bob Hill had been relieved of his duties during the season and GM Gregg Popovich had taken over the coaching reins. A very vocal and significant portion of the fan base despised Popovich for this move calling into question the timing of the firing and whether it should have taken place at all. While the venom for Pop continued to simmer below the surface, as luck would have it. the lottery balls bounced the Spurs way and the team landed Tim Duncan in the draft.

The off season prior to the 97-98 season was full of chatter about Duncan being one of those once a decade type players that comes available and how the Spurs had lucked out the two times they were in the lottery by landing Robinson and now the young stud from Wake Forest. Clearly this was the hot topic of sports talk radio in San Antonio and around the city as die hard and casual fan alike were gleeful at the thought of the new "twin towers."

However back in the little noticed (at the time) world of the internet Spurs fanatic, Tim Duncan was only part of the daily dish on the Spurs. Oh sure, you had the anti-Pop crowd warring with the "Popsuckers", but the internet Spurs fan is a different breed of cat than the ordinary fan that remembers the Ice Man and Captain Late but doesn't remember who we trade Gervin for when Ice was shipped off. Yes Malik fans, even the Ice man was shipped off ingloriously back in the day. Anyway, back to the internet Spurs fan.

While the internet fan is as interested in the well known news stories of the day about the Spurs, they live for the little know detail. They are the ones that get excited about the summer league games and fall in love with players just knowing that their personal favorite is the latest diamond in the rough.

In 1997, Popovich brought into training camp three little know players to try and earn a spot on the roster. Jarren Jackson, Reggie Geary and Malik Rose seem to have come out of nowhere and they were flying well below the radar of caual Spurs fans. But not the internet Spurs fan. On the message boards, Pop lovers and Pop haters were battling over the three. The pro-Pop fans contended that Pop (and Sam Shuler) were personnel geniouses and the unknown trio would be of great benefit to the Spurs. The anti-Pop bunch was just as sure the three would be destined for the end of the bench, IR or waived. As usual in disagreements, the truth lies somewhere in between.

Reggie Geary was a servicable back up point guard and had some nice moments that season. The Spurs had Avery Johnson as their starter and needed a back up or in the opinion of some fans, they needed a starting point guard and AJ would be fine as the back up. While Geary sometimes impressed, he made it through the season but was gone after that.

JJ as he became known to Spurs fans stuck. With his shaved head and tough looking expression, the guard that was suppose to be a defensive stopper but turned out to have a knack for hitting threes. Not only did Jackson come back the next season but he was a key player for the Spurs first championship run. Even the casual Spurs observer embraced JJ as he would hit a clutch three and run back on defense waggling his head back and force in celebration. Popovich rewarded the playoff hero with a generous contract, JJ grew his hair and the relationship between fans and JJ soured. JJ's play never quite got back to where it was and the anti-Pop crowed crowed that the Georgetown alum was fat and happy with his contract that was now an albatross around managements neck. Eventually, JJ was let go.

Malik Rose was the undersized power forward. He had that quality that endeared him to any fan of heart and hustle. Back in 1997 Malik was a terrible shooter but would dive for balls, clean the glass with passion and bang with men a half foot taller than him night in and night out. Malik achieved folk hero status in Spurs lore when he would be put in to defend Shaquille O"Neal when our superstar Admiral needed a blow or was in foul trouble. The thing was, Malik held his own against Shaq.

His outside shot improved. He was hailed by many as a legitimate sixth man of the year candidate, other GMs wondered how Popovich found this guy. The fans love him, his teammates loved him (AJ in the shower notwithstanding), he was respected around the league and when he became a free agent, the internet Spurs fans fretted the Lakers would make him an offer he couldn't refuse. Managment loved him too and awarded him a generous contract 7 years in length. Seven years! The money was good and internet Spurs fans argued whether it was too much or just right.

It was all good. The Spurs had two rings, Pop and R.C. were finding these great foreign players in the second round and Malik was loving it. Of course he had his moments with Pop and would reside in the dog house but somehow eventually Popovich would motion him in the game and Rose would give it his all. He would fight and claw for rebounds. He would heave up outside jumpers that would make us stop breathing until they swished the net (or start cursing if they clanked the rim). We would drop passes and the crowd would groan.

But he would also dunk on Mutombo in game six of the playoffs with the Nets and electrify us all. He would come in and pull the Spurs out of a funk and save many a regular season game.

But that contract. That damn contract. Behind the scenes, managment fretted over how it hamstringed them for future dealing. Was Malik really worth that much for that long? Soon there were constant rumors and whispers that Rose was being shopped. It was said Popovich told Rose they would try to shop him. Last year he was almost a Knick save for a last minute change of heart on New York's part. No such wavering would save him from being traded this season.

Now the internet crowd debates whether this is good or not. Some get as emotional as when Pop gave Bob Hill the old heave ho and say they will not root for the team anymore. Me? I am an optimist. I hope Nazr Mohammed works out and on paper he looks like a good fit to me. I understand the money side as well. And the optimist in me thinks this maybe good for Malik as well. Sure he is going to miss his teammates on the Spurs and the Knicks will lose a lot more games than he would of here. But a Rose by any other name is still a Rose and that means a hustling mofo with a lot of heart and grit. Likely he will get more playing time in New York and that counts for something.

I'll miss his play on the floor. I'll miss his chearleading his teammates and celebrating their successes from the bench. I'll miss his interviews on TV. I'll miss his community service. I'll miss his clutch play. I'll miss his smile before, after and with braces. Most of all, I'll miss..............him.
:depressed

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 09:36 AM
who here has said they will stop watching the team, out of curiosity?

maxpower
02-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Very nice work. A true fan if ever I've seen one.

They are the ones that get excited about the summer league games and fall in love with players just knowing that their personal favorite is the latest diamond in the rough. If this isn't the truth.

managment fretted over how it hamstringed them for future dealing. So how exactly will the removal of his contract allow management to make moves?(question for the real capologists) From what little I know, the Spurs will be over the cap, regardless.

When Nazr's contract is up, what will the Spurs be able to do?

Jdspur20
02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
why would anyone stop watching the team?

Hook Dem
02-25-2005, 10:00 AM
who here has said they will stop watching the team, out of curiosity?
Check some of the other threads. It may surprise you! There is a lot of knee jerking going on.

Ocotillo
02-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Yeah, there are some emotional fans.

exstatic
02-25-2005, 08:14 PM
It's not cap flexibility, it's TAX flexability, as in luxury. No one really knows what it will be after the new collective bargaining agreement, but if it stays much like it is now, Malik's deal could have ended up costing the franchise a bundle.