PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili's Quick Move Helps Spurs Cling To Win

duncan228
12-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Ginobili's quick move helps Spurs cling to win (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobilis_quick_move_helps_Spurs_cling_to_win.html )
By Jeff McDonald

Manu Ginobili is not a football guy.

He's been an in-season resident of Texas long enough to know its place atop the state's sports culture. He's knows what a touchdown is. He knows, by the pained look on Tim Duncan's face almost every Sunday, that the Chicago Bears are a frustrating team to support.

But Manu Ginobili is not a football guy.

“He's a fútbol guy,” Duncan says of his Argentine teammate.

Yet with the Spurs' path to an eventual 109-104 victory over reeling Oklahoma City getting too close for comfort Sunday night at the AT&T Center, Ginobili made a football play.

He went deep.

Duncan, playing the role of sandlot quarterback, took the ball out of the basket after Kevin Durant's hook shot brought the Thunder within two with 29.5 seconds left, reared back and found a streaking Ginobili on the other end of the court.

Ginobili converted that TD pass into a layup, and drew a foul on the safety he had burned, Desmond Mason. The ensuing point-after free throw gave the Spurs a five-point edge, finally putting a kibosh on the Thunder's spirited second-half charge.

Dissecting the game-sealing play later, Duncan sounded like a quarterback.

“I saw him breaking a little late and just lofted it out there,” Duncan said.

Ginobili, meanwhile, sounded a little like a football guy. Specifically, a wide receiver.

“I was really wide open,” he said.

The victory was the sixth in a row for the Spurs (15-8), who have taken over sole possession of first place in the Southwest Division.

Tony Parker had 22 points, Duncan totaled 20 points and 12 rebounds for his seventh straight double-double and Matt Bonner matched a season-high with 17 points as the Spurs built a 26-point first-half lead, then nearly lost it in the second.

Before Sunday's game, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich warned his team about respecting the opposition, regardless of the Thunder's record (2-22 going on 2-23).

The Spurs responded by making 15 of their first 24 shots, including 7 of their first 10 3-pointers. Had Ginobili not had a toe on the line when firing his jumper to beat the horn, the Spurs would have equaled a franchise record for 3-pointers in a quarter.

The Spurs held a 39-19 lead after the first quarter, but to Popovich, the big early lead was fool's gold.

“It's always the worst gift a team can get,” Popovich said. “This is the NBA, and there's a 24-second clock. Rarely does (a lead) stay like that.”

In the second half, the Thunder flashed the form that, a night earlier, had allowed them to stick around in a 103-99 loss at Dallas.

Jeff Green had 33 points to lead Oklahoma City, while Durant, the former one-year college wonder at Texas, had 28 points, 13 rebounds and four blocks. Together, they combined to make the Spurs sweat until the final buzzer.

Green's dunk with 1:49 to play brought the Thunder within three. Duncan answered with a 17-foot jumper on one end, and followed with the defensive play of the night on the other.

Durant spun baseline for a shot, but Duncan got a hand on it for his only block, then tight-roped the baseline to keep the ball in play.

“They had been making shots on me all night,” Duncan said. “I finally got a finger on one.”

Parker followed with two free throws, and the Spurs were ahead 106-99 with 37.9 seconds left.

Oklahoma City wasn't done. Green knocked down a 3-pointer, Ginobili missed two free throws, and when Durant wheeled back at Duncan with a left-handed hook, the Thunder were within 106-104.

Then, Ginobili went deep. Duncan threw a Sam Bradford-esque rainbow, which was something the Oklahoma City fans could appreciate.

“I saw everybody close to the bucket, going for the rebound, and I just ran,” Ginobili explained later. “It was a good read by TD.”

After TD had thrown his TD, a long bomb to a fútbol guy, the Spurs had the victory.

duncan228
12-14-2008, 11:57 PM
You can hear Duncan say this here (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/081214.html). It's a cute bit.

“He's a fútbol guy,” Duncan says of his Argentine teammate.

Manufan909
12-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Glad to hear Tim praising Bonner. That would be the most significant player to say something nice about Matt.

duncan228
12-15-2008, 02:33 AM
Spurs 109, Thunder 104: Green can’t save Thunder (http://newsok.com/green-cant-save-thunder/article/3330323)
33-point effort helps OKC push Spurs to the wire
BY Mike Baldwin

SAN ANTONIO — Jeff Green dunked over Tim Duncan, stopped and stared. That’s not necessarily a wise tactic when you’re down 20 points. On the road. In Duncan’s house.

When Green duplicated the feat minutes later, it’s proof Green’s confidence is soaring.

San Antonio led by as many as 26 points Sunday night at the AT&T Center, but 17,419 fans had to sweat out a 109-104 win over Green and the Thunder.

Oklahoma City has a league-worst 2-23 record, but it’s games like Green’s season-high 33 points that are signs better days should be ahead for a young team in a couple of years.

"It’s one thing to get points in this league, but when you do it by taking good shots and making it tough on defenses, that’s what you look for,” said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. "That’s basketball. Attack not only for yourself but your teammates. That’s what the good players do, the special players.

"Jeff is developing into a playmaker.”

The Thunder cut the deficit to 106-104 with 30 seconds left on a Kevin Durant basket, but Manu Ginobili’s breakaway and-one, 3-point play stifled OKC’s comeback.

Despite another close loss, Green’s best game of the season, combined with a 25-point outing in a shootout loss Saturday night in Dallas, is an indication Green and Durant could form a strong 1-2 combo for years to come.

"I’m trying to take what defenses are giving me,” Green said. "My confidence in my shot has been pretty good lately. Coach Brooks has been putting me in positions to use my versatility.”

Green’s improvement actually started late last season and during the summer. He worked hard to extend his shooting range. He’s already drained eight more 3-pointers than he did all last season. He can shoot over big men on the perimeter or drive for dunks like the four he had Sunday.

"If you make shots, teams have to respect that,” Green said. "I knew it could open up the rest of my game. I’m trying to use my quickness to also open the court for other guys, pass better, all aspects of my game.”

After making the first-team, all-NBA rookie team last season along with Durant, Green’s stats are improved across the board.

The 22-year-old Georgetown product is averaging 15.6 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.2 steals. Green is shooting 45.8 percent after draining 14-of-23 shots against the Spurs.

"Jeff is playing unbelievable basketball,” said teammate Desmond Mason. "He’s reaping the rewards from hard practice and working on his shot. I guarded him last year. He was versatile, but this year he’s much more comfortable. He’s got his confidence both on the perimeter and inside.”

Green has been more aggressive. The 23 shots were a season high.

"He’s growing every game,” Brooks said. "The thing I like is he’s not taking bad shots. He had a stretch tonight that no matter what they were doing they couldn’t stop him.”

peskypesky
12-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Spurs are clicking, folks. Sure, we had a little hiccup today, but we're still on a win streak, the Big 3 are pretty healthy, and Bonner/Mason are proving to be great role players. I like our chances. But I'd like them even more if we could somehow get another mobile big man. That is the only chink in the armor.

timtonymanu
12-15-2008, 02:42 AM
But I'd like them even more if we could somehow get another mobile big man. That is the only chink in the armor.

Hurry up, Ian!

WalterBenitez
12-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Just saw that play at ESPN, TD is a great passer :)