PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Bonner Buttons Down Bigger Role For Spurs

duncan228
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Headline change, same link.

Bonner's new role earns him crunch-time play

Bonner buttons down bigger role for Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bonner_buttons_down_bigger_role_for_Spurs.html)
By Mike Monroe

Matt Bonner was halfway through a postgame interview with a solitary print reporter when the TV crews that previously had been focused on Spurs guard Tony Parker swarmed in his direction.

Blushing a bit, Bonner asked for a moment to put on a shirt.

“You need to let that body hang out,” rookie point guard George Hill said from the locker stall next door, but Bonner quickly donned a shirt and buttoned up, proving a New England upbringing has not been trumped by recent celebrity.

Bonner's progression as a significant contributor to the success of this season's Spurs continued Sunday when he matched his season-high of 17 points and grabbed eight rebounds. The NBA's leader in 3-point accuracy made 3 of 5 shots from long range.

Perhaps more important was his presence on the court for the final 9:55 of the Spurs' 109-104 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder at AT&T Center. It was the first time since becoming a starter that coach Gregg Popovich had him on the floor in crunch time.

“He's getting the minutes now and he's showing he deserves to be out there,” said Spurs captain Tim Duncan, “and he's making us a better team. He's spreading the floor real well. Obviously, he's shooting the ball very well, and that helps us in itself. But we're getting some things from him that we didn't expect. He's rebounding the ball very well and he's getting matched up with some pretty tough guys out on the perimeter, and he's done a pretty good job with it.”

Bonner was grateful for the chance Popovich gave him.

“Any time you're out there coming down the stretch, it shows coach has confidence in your ability to execute the game plan,” Bonner said. “It definitely is a different game coming down the stretch. Execution becomes the most important thing.”

Sympathy pains: Spurs power forward Kurt Thomas, who was a teammate last season to most of Sunday's Thunder players, said it has been hard to watch his former team struggle this season.

Thomas came to the Spurs from the then-Seattle SuperSonics as part of last February's Brent Barry trade.

“That's a bunch of good guys over in that locker room,” Thomas said. “I take my hat off to (interim OKC coach) Scott (Brooks). When he first took over I think they had two or three games that I felt they should have won, and they just slipped away from them. But I think they definitely have improved.

“They've showed signs. There's a lot of talent over there, and (general manager) Sam Presti is doing an outstanding job of bringing in the type of players he thinks can help them.”

td4mvp21
12-14-2008, 11:58 PM
I really like Bonner starting now. If I had to nitpick I would say he's not a good matchup for a lot of the better frontcourts on defense. Other than that he's doing basically everything right.

wijayas
12-15-2008, 12:56 AM
I am very glad, as do everybody here, to see how Bonner has more confidence in his game.

Let's count our blessings: Roger, George, Matt. These are more than I could have expected beginning the season without Manu and later Tony.

And if Ian develops into a contributor, Spurs is tough to beat!

Manufan909
12-15-2008, 01:06 AM
“You need to let that body hang out,” rookie point guard George Hill said from the locker stall next door

Lol, Hill is a funny guy.:lmao

raspsa
12-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Lol, Hill is a funny guy.:lmao

Bonner should have Hill wash his jockstrap or do some other crazy stuff that rookies are required to do.. how dare Hill make fun of the great Bonner:lol:lol

honestfool84
12-15-2008, 02:43 AM
let's trade bonner! yeah!