PDA

View Full Version : Beating the Giants

ClingingMars
12-15-2008, 12:22 AM
man, that felt good.

the Cowboys showed the world what they can do when they play as a TEAM.

-Mars

Spurtacus
12-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Our defense has been kicking ass the past few weeks.

dirk4mvp
12-15-2008, 12:28 AM
the Cowboys showed the world what they can do when they play as a TEAM.

-Mars

What, beating a depleted Giants team at home?

I love how TO played victim in the post game interview.

bostonguy
12-15-2008, 12:42 AM
What, beating a depleted Giants team at home?

I love how TO played victim in the post game interview.

Well the Giants win vs the Cowboys last month wasnt impressive because they didnt have Tony Romo so I guess the teams were 1*-1*?

The Giants are starting to fall apart. They are stumbling in December. It is hard to see this team repeating with what they have. It is going to be too much to overcome.

mFFL03
12-15-2008, 12:43 AM
anyone who saw "The Day the Earth Stood Still" this weekend clearly saw this coming.....

(if you didn't see it, Giants stadium gets destroyed, piece by piece)

LakerHater
12-15-2008, 01:40 AM
It starts with the running game! Giants didn't have Jacobs, so the passing game didnt get going! Giants were missing part of their O line!
Good game, thought they were gonna ralley cuz, Dallas' D struggles with no huudle, but then Gilbride desides to go under center and..... Oh well!

Anti.Hero
12-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Tony Romo makes TO look like such a tool the way he was able to joke about it and keep a smile.

bostonguy
12-15-2008, 02:32 AM
It starts with the running game! Giants didn't have Jacobs, so the passing game didnt get going! Giants were missing part of their O line!
Good game, thought they were gonna ralley cuz, Dallas' D struggles with no huudle, but then Gilbride desides to go under center and..... Oh well!

Considering the fact that the Cowboys didnt have an effective Barber, both teams were relying on backup running backs. Not having Plaxico is a bigger loss than I had thought. Giants are stumbling in December and next Sundays game isnt looking very good for them. The NFC is a wide open race now.

ClingingMars
12-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Considering the fact that the Cowboys didnt have an effective Barber, both teams were relying on backup running backs. Not having Plaxico is a bigger loss than I had thought. Giants are stumbling in December and next Sundays game isnt looking very good for them. The NFC is a wide open race now.

the Giants remind me of the Cowboys last year...great start, #1 seed, but then they start to fade at the end of the year...as for the Cowboys this year...they sure seem similiar to a certain team that went on the road last year all the way to the Super Bowl...

-Mars

Whisky Dog
12-15-2008, 03:01 AM
8 Sacks.... they ate the Giants offense up. Newman with 2 picks. The offense was still sub par, but they got the win and still control their own destiny.

Two games left to see if the Cowboys are firing and ready for the playoffs. If they take down Baltimore and Philly they will be a very dangerous team in the playoffs.

Last two games showed the Cowboys to be the one team the Lions wished they had on the December schedule.

bostonguy
12-15-2008, 03:42 AM
the Giants remind me of the Cowboys last year...great start, #1 seed, but then they start to fade at the end of the year...as for the Cowboys this year...they sure seem similiar to a certain team that went on the road last year all the way to the Super Bowl...

-Mars

A great regular season means nothing. Trust me I would know. The Giants started off great and looked sick in November. But these last 2 losses and all these distractions of Plaxico etc etc is starting to hurt this team. They were in a class of their own for a while but not anymore. More than 1 team is capable of coming out of the NFC. Should be a very very interesting 2 weeks coming up.

Obstructed_View
12-15-2008, 07:47 AM
The Cowboys were missing a starting lineman, have a patchwork secondary and the starting QB and RB are banged up, but they stepped it up and won what was a must-win game. Romo gets credit for taking care of the ball in an otherwise unspectacular performance. The defense has been really good the last two or three weeks. If Romo can get his accuracy back that he had earlier in the season, Dallas could be as good as they were hyped up to be at the beginning of the season. All is forgiven if they go on a run now. They'll have to overcome the nagging injuries and the secondary's going to have to improve.

Chris
12-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I want Pacman and Felix back. I disagree with the patchwork secondary. Hamlin and KD are solid. You can also swap Henry in and out now too so i think its more dynamic than patchwork. Could be blind homerism more than anything.

txallstar
12-15-2008, 09:25 AM
cowboys line sucks hurt or not. good thing the giants were hurting cause i knew the boys would turn it over.

a scrambling romo makes the o-line look good even last year. unless the boys pull of some miracle win out like in 95 but wait they arent even close to that team.

a good pass rush makes the 2ndary look great and lets hope it doesnt stop. kd/newman were decent but they the rest are still brutal wake me when the when a play off game.

leemajors
12-15-2008, 10:35 AM
cowboys line sucks hurt or not. good thing the giants were hurting cause i knew the boys would turn it over.

a scrambling romo makes the o-line look good even last year. unless the boys pull of some miracle win out like in 95 but wait they arent even close to that team.

a good pass rush makes the 2ndary look great and lets hope it doesnt stop. kd/newman were decent but they the rest are still brutal wake me when the when a play off game.

cowboys line looks good with kosier, ok with holland, and bad with proctor.

I Love Me Some Me
12-15-2008, 11:14 AM

I actually thought Scandrick did a good job last night.

leemajors
12-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I actually thought Scandrick did a good job last night.

he did great. they were attacking him too, and he responded quite well.

Obstructed_View
12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
I disagree with the patchwork secondary. Hamlin and KD are solid. You can also swap Henry in and out now too so i think its more dynamic than patchwork. Could be blind homerism more than anything.

When you're moving corners in to play safety and vice-versa as well as giving PT to green players because you aren't healthy, that's the definition of patchwork. Newman is the most overrated corner in the history of the NFL, and Henry is equally horrible. The only good cover corners are Ball and Jenkins and we've seen that Jenkins makes poor decisions and has no heart. That said, the worst problem with the secondary is their idiot coach.

ClingingMars
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
cowboys line looks good with kosier, ok with holland, and bad with proctor.

:tu

-Mars

tonylongoriafan
12-15-2008, 05:57 PM
it still felt good

ClingingMars
12-15-2008, 06:35 PM
it still felt good

that's what she said

-Mars

The Franchise
12-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Two games left to see if the Cowboys are firing and ready for the playoffs. If they take down Baltimore and Philly they will be a very dangerous team in the playoffs.

They are going to lose one of these games. My money is on Baltimore.

mexicanjunior
12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Game Thoughts

The Good:
* Eventhough he was not perfect with his passes, Tony Romo finally showed us how good this team can be when he plays mistake free. There was no forcing into double coverage, careless holding of the ball or holding in the pocket too long. When he made a decision, be it run or pass, he went with it and it helped the team. His awareness to knock the ball out of the end zone while being nailed for the safety might have saved the season.
* In the last 2 games, Tashard Choice is playing like a combination of Felix and Marion. He has the acceleration of Jones getting to the hole, although he doesnt have the flat out speed, with the block reading and toughness of Barber. He was a steal as a 4th rounder and I would think could be a 1000 yard rusher on alot of teams in the league if given the carries. It will be interesting to see how Barber responds since he is pretty much in the same situation Julius Jones was in last year (minus the contract security).
* For all the drama and scrutiny he was involved in, Witten came up huge for us this game. Whether it was being Romo's constant safety valve or grinding out those few extra yards on 3rd down, he made the plays that moved the chains.
* Eventhough we gave up 4 sacks, including a safety, I thought the O-line played about as well as possible considering Proctor being in the lineup and the team we were playing. It's hard to block everyone when Gurode and Adamns have to be looking over to make sure Cory doesn't need help. They paved some nice holes for Tashard Choice and the running game overall averaged 4.8 YPC.
* The front 7 again made a case for being the best in the NFL. They held a solid Giants running game to (albiet without Jacobs) to just 72 total yards and put some tremendous pressure on Manning. Demarcus Ware and Ratliff were especially good in collapsing the pocket from the corners and middle. If Demarcus keeps playing at this level, he could have the sack record by the end of the Ravens game. You can really see the difference in them since the point Wade decided to give Brian Steward the Fisher-Price headset (stolen from the Musers show) and have him cheerlead on the sideline as Phillips calls the defenses.
* The secondary looked just as good as the front 7 this game, I'm sure since they are working so well in conjunction with each other. Newman was a ball hawk the whole game and didn't give Toomer an inch. As a whole, the decision to allow the secondary to start pressing the receivers has worked wonders and made them 1000x more agressive. Scandrick is showing why he was a steal in the draft as well. Also, it's nice to watch a Cowboys game and not immediately note the coverage defeciences of our safeties. Hamlin and Davis have been about as solid a tandem as I can remember since before Roy Williams (the safety) started sucking.
* Eventhough Paulescu's punt averages may not be gaudy, he did a great job pinning the Giants inside the 20 on a regular basis. For a punter without the huge leg of Mcbrair, being accurate is all you can really ask for and he is delivering in that regard.

The Bad:
* Penalties are so outlandish on this team, we have got to be one of the worst in Cowboys history in that regard. 11 for 108 is just not going to get it done. I can forgive the holding to save a sack or interference to save a TD but the false starts and offsides penalties are inexcusable. Jerry needs to start getting some coaches in here to work on this specific issue if we are to get something done when it matters most (if we get to that point). Fines and jobs need to be put on the line at some point to get this corrected...
* Cory Proctor flat out sucks, he is constantly being pushed around and sometimes has "deer in the headlight" moments on pass protection. I hope Montrae Holland comes back soon, at least he ate some space in the middle and made it hard to go around him.
* I know he isn't 100% healthy yet but Barber has got to produce more than 8 carries for 2 effing yards. I'm starting to think giving him that 7 year contract may not have been the best move. At only 872 yards, he will be hard pressed to even get to 1000 considering the last 2 defenses we face. He may need to go back to being the part time closer and give Choice the reigns unless he starts showing why we spent so much on him.
* Hey TO, if you are going to bitch about not getting enough balls and plays drawn up for you, mix in an effing catch on 3rd down! The ball he dropped on the first drive was one any decent WR catches and could have been a real momentum grabber. Also, what the hell was that slip up on 3rd down? I'm sure he lost his footing but you have to run smarter than that when the first down marker is right in front of you. Had the Giants turned that botched drive into a TD, this game could have been totally different.
* It was nice to see Patrick Crayton make a cameo in this game for the first TD but where the eff is Roy Williams? I don't know if it is his fault for not getting open, Romo's fault for not looking his way or the coaching staff for not getting him involved but we have to utilize his skills more than this. When he was one of the primary targets in Detroit, he proved he could be a real force in the passing game and his size could make him unstoppable. Seeing him waste on the field and be nothing but a decoy is sad considering what we gave up for him.

Bottomline...eventhough I was right about the team beginning to split apart with the TO nonsense, I was wrong in how they would react to the drama. The Boys showed they still have alot of heart and fight left in them this year and I think, riding this game's momentum, have a great chance to run the table. It would be nice if Tampa, Philly and Atlanta could make things easier to grab the Wild Card spot but I almost prefer them having to fight for their spot instead of it being handed to them and coasting towards the finish like last year. I know Wade takes alot of flack from myself, and pretty much everyone. when the team comes out flat and unprepared but he should get props this game for his defensive gameplan and having some hand in making sure the team didn't implode.

samikeyp
12-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Game Thoughts

The Bad:
* Penalties are so outlandish on this team, we have got to be one of the worst in Cowboys history in that regard. 11 for 108 is just not going to get it done. I can forgive the holding to save a sack or interference to save a TD but the false starts and offsides penalties are inexcusable. Jerry needs to start getting some coaches in here to work on this specific issue if we are to get something done when it matters most (if we get to that point). Fines and jobs need to be put on the line at some point to get this corrected...
* Cory Proctor flat out sucks, he is constantly being pushed around and sometimes has "deer in the headlight" moments on pass protection. I hope Montrae Holland comes back soon, at least he ate some space in the middle and made it hard to go around him.
* I know he isn't 100% healthy yet but Barber has got to produce more than 8 carries for 2 effing yards. I'm starting to think giving him that 7 year contract may not have been the best move. At only 872 yards, he will be hard pressed to even get to 1000 considering the last 2 defenses we face. He may need to go back to being the part time closer and give Choice the reigns unless he starts showing why we spent so much on him.
* Hey TO, if you are going to bitch about not getting enough balls and plays drawn up for you, mix in an effing catch on 3rd down! The ball he dropped on the first drive was one any decent WR catches and could have been a real momentum grabber. Also, what the hell was that slip up on 3rd down? I'm sure he lost his footing but you have to run smarter than that when the first down marker is right in front of you. Had the Giants turned that botched drive into a TD, this game could have been totally different.
* It was nice to see Patrick Crayton make a cameo in this game for the first TD but where the eff is Roy Williams? I don't know if it is his fault for not getting open, Romo's fault for not looking his way or the coaching staff for not getting him involved but we have to utilize his skills more than this. When he was one of the primary targets in Detroit, he proved he could be a real force in the passing game and his size could make him unstoppable. Seeing him waste on the field and be nothing but a decoy is sad considering what we gave up for him.

Amen. The penalties are a killer and could end up costing them down this stretch. That comes from a lack of discipline which starts with the head coach.