PDA

View Full Version : what happened to all the anti-bonner topics??

TwelveGs210
12-15-2008, 01:19 AM
funny how things change so fast..sucks to know our city is filled with so many fair weather fans..you KNOW who you are..no offense to the optimists.

Manufan909
12-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Funny how someone is called out when he underperforms, and no longer called out when he plays to his potential... no, wait, that's logical.

rayray2k8
12-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Once Bonner begins screwing up, you'll see those threads pop up again.
Wonder if you'll bother to show up then. :shootme

Tully365
12-15-2008, 01:27 AM
It seemed like a day didn't go by this summer or fall without a "let's tar & feather Matt Bonner" thread! They were mixed in ever-so-carefully with the "George Hill sucks" threads and the "RC should be fired" threads. Turns out the Spurs don't have the best record in sports the past decade because of arbitrary luck afterall!

Manufan909
12-15-2008, 01:29 AM
It seemed like a day didn't go by this summer or fall without a "let's tar & feather Matt Bonner" thread! They were mixed in ever-so-carefully with the "George Hill sucks" threads and the "RC should be fired" threads. Turns out the Spurs don't have the best record in sports the past decade because of arbitrary luck afterall!

Bonner lurks on ST, and was just fucking with us all, same with Hill.

Austin_Toros
12-15-2008, 02:49 AM
people are finally realising how good 'red rocket' it!

twincam
12-15-2008, 03:03 AM
funny how things change so fast..sucks to know our city is filled with so many fair weather fans..you KNOW who you are..no offense to the optimists.

I agree with you 100%. Although this is perhaps the most active NBA forums out there, it comes with a price. There will always be that unhappy bunch that is always sending negative threads to the site. Yes, you are right...they all know who they are. I'm sure Bonner will struggle like any "NBA SUPERSTAR" does to show that they are only human.

Think about it, those that are talking smack should be the ones on the court with NBA players and see just what it's like. They don't see the entire picture; only what they want to see and be quick to bash.

However, when someone makes a valid point, the bashers will be quick to retaliate and "try" to prove a point, which is really "pointless".

But, anyhow, I agree with you on that.

BonnerDynasty
12-15-2008, 03:08 AM
I got a hold of this screen name when it was a mere penny stock!

Time to cash in.

SpursPreacher
12-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Dont worry one bad game by him and they be back like roaches,I suggest we need this for them.

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A8849/88499/300_88499.jpg

z0sa
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Funny how someone is called out when he underperforms, and no longer called out when he plays to his potential... no, wait, that's logical.

Funny how you have zero grasp of the facts.

Inconsistent PT for a shooter is asking for a trouble, especially when that shooter is also supposed to fill a big man void.

When he came through for Pop against Houston and started getting consistent PT, he showed his abilities. This one's got a lot of to do with Pop's doghouse method, and is proof on some players, that method just doesn't work.

Dex
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Funny how you have zero grasp of the facts.

Inconsistent PT for a shooter is asking for a trouble, especially when that shooter is also supposed to fill a big man void.

When he came through for Pop against Houston and started getting consistent PT, he showed his abilities. This one's got a lot of to do with Pop's doghouse method, and is proof on some players, that method just doesn't work.

And what about the entire season prior when he couldn't work his way off the bench?

Spurs don't exactly have a lot of competition for front line spots. Lord knows we would've loved to have another solid bigman against the Lakers. If Bonner couldn't hold down a spot in the past, it's because he wasn't playing up to his potential. I don't see how that's anybody's fault but his own.

Finally, he's actually showing steady doses of what people wanted to see out of him and expected when we signed him...and coincidentally enough, people are starting to warm up to him.

Effort points only get you so far in the NBA.

SpurSupremacist
12-15-2008, 11:56 AM

Are you suggesting R.C. Failford shouldn't be fired?

rascal
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
If your relying for Bonner to come up big in the playoffs you will be let down.

The spurs need to trade him now for a stronger low post player while he has some upside trade value.

z0sa
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
If your relying for Bonner to come up big in the playoffs you will be let down.

The spurs need to trade him now for a stronger low post player while he has some upside trade value.

/all the anti-bonner topics

I want Matt Bonner, FUCK your low post player if it's gotta be for him.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-15-2008, 01:03 PM
most of the chicks on here are anti-boner...

Fingaroll44
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
they stfu thats what happened...lol thinkin they know whos good and whos not all the damn time. On the Matt Bonner Sucks thread I posted this: I dont know if he sucks or not. I havent seen enough consistent floor time from him.

Fingaroll44
12-15-2008, 01:43 PM

exactly. made me not want to log on here for awhile. everybody soundin' like a bunch of sissies whining

Mad Bonner
12-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Get off my jock and stop opening new threads about me.

Obstructed_View
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Actually for the most part he wasn't being called out for underperforming, he was being called the worst basketball player in the world and people were blaming every basket by the other team on him, even when it wasn't his guy scoring. If Mason didn't get back on defense and his guy got a dunk, everybody blamed Bonner. If Bonner took a three and Duncan was open underneath waving his arms, everybody shit all over Bonner.

Fingaroll44
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
And what about the entire season prior when he couldn't work his way off the bench?

Spurs don't exactly have a lot of competition for front line spots. Lord knows we would've loved to have another solid bigman against the Lakers. If Bonner couldn't hold down a spot in the past, it's because he wasn't playing up to his potential. I don't see how that's anybody's fault but his own.

Finally, he's actually showing steady doses of what people wanted to see out of him and expected when we signed him...and coincidentally enough, people are starting to warm up to him.

Bonner was partly to blame youre right. He couldve played like Wilt and Pop wouldve had no choice to play him but Pop felt a loyalty to Horry and Bonner wasnt going to get by that.

I cant knock Bonner for his effort, that and a higher bball IQ is what is making him a good rebounder now compared to when the season first started. If you keep workin hard the RIGHT way the effort just HAS to yield positive results at some point. Thats supposed to be the key to achieving any goal right? Hard work and determination breaks down any barrier. Even haters on ST lol

romad_20
12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
He underperformed at the beginning of the year and last year. I think people, myself included, thought that's what he was going to do based on the time he's spent with the Spurs. I'm glad he's performing and hope he continues to do so. If he can average 11ppg and 7 or 8 rbs, then he is golden.

As far as people calling for him to be traded and being the worst player in the NBA, that's what you're going to get on message boards.

Manufan909
12-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Actually for the most part he wasn't being called out for underperforming, he was being called the worst basketball player in the world and people were blaming every basket by the other team on him, even when it wasn't his guy scoring. If Mason didn't get back on defense and his guy got a dunk, everybody blamed Bonner. If Bonner took a three and Duncan was open underneath waving his arms, everybody shit all over Bonner.

That was hilarious for how much it pissed off Timmy. That was the same game where he grabbed Bonner's head, right?

And to zosa, he was sucking to start this year, even when he was getting decent minutes. I'll admit he got the leash too quickly, but he was not playing to his potential.

z0sa
12-15-2008, 02:34 PM

I never said Matt Bonner is perfect. But psychological conditioning from Pop pulled Bonner down. Every fuck up, he was wincing in pop's direction, instead of just letting the game free flow and when he fucked up, learning from it and improving. Why couldn't he do it anyway? Like I said, he was too worried about repercussions from Pop to even get into the flow of the offense or defense.

Ever worried so hard about something not happening? It always seems like no matter what you do, it's going to happen. This is not the mindset a player should have. Pop finally loosed the reins a little and let him just play. It's worked wonders in combination with consistent playtime (earned through Pop's revelation)

Horry was a shadow over Bonner. Two players with identical skillsets, difference being iq and experience. Pop trusted Horry far more than Bonner, and continued playing him in the PO even when he was passing up open shots Bonner could have nailed. Bonner could'nt have overachieved enough to set his place in stone past Horry.

Without 82+ games straight of consistent PT, passing judgment by both fans and coaching was too early if you ask me, going off a weak front line being the basis of emphasis. If he'd have worked out all the kinks back when we first signed him, imagine what could have been. Maybe even another ring or Finals appearance.

TwelveGs210
12-15-2008, 11:01 PM

i wouldnt say he was underperforming, i think the problem with him is he was being paid way too damn much for his small contributions.. he should have played this way BEFORE they signed the extension he got but oh well, he is earning his pay now and im glad to see the "armchair analysts" quit bitching about him..

justanotherspursfan
12-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Are you suggesting R.C. Failford shouldn't be fired?
Well yeah, the way he's run this franchise into the ground, why would anyone want to keep him?

Maybe Dunleavy will be available after the season. Or even McHale!

sook
12-15-2008, 11:27 PM
You do realize he is LEADING THE NBA IN 3 PT %

Manufan909
12-15-2008, 11:47 PM
You do realize he is LEADING THE NBA IN 3 PT %

We all know, sook. That's old news. Let us know if he gets knocked out of the top 10. If him and Mason are still top 5-10 at the end of the season, I will be :wow:spless::worthy::spless::worthy::spless::wow.

:hitit:

mrspurs
12-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Not for me. I know Matt isnt gonna be a goto guy come PO time. He's playing so well because Fab and Kurt cant play worth a crud. Someone said it in another thread. When Kurt is on the floor its like 4 on 5. I say the same when Fab is on the court. Im fine with Matt playing right now, (noone else can rebound or score like him in a spurs uniform). But when the games really count in a 7 game series. Thats when Matt will find the bench. And unfortunately for us that means Fab and Kurt play more. Im hoping Ian shows he can play with this team. If not, we're out of the POs again. Matt is no starting Center in the West. But at least with Matt on the court it isnt 4 on 5.

angelbelow
12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
bonner was playing like crap, he couldnt rebound, couldnt defend, and most important was afraid to shoot. someone whose making 3 mill and does all of the above is certain to be ripped by coaches and fans.

bonner is finally earning his contract and thats great but theres no way i change my stance on him early on in the season.

z0sa
12-16-2008, 01:45 PM
bonner was playing like crap, he couldnt rebound, couldnt defend, and most important was afraid to shoot. someone whose making 3 mill and does all of the above is certain to be ripped by coaches and fans.

bonner is finally earning his contract and thats great but theres no way i change my stance on him early on in the season.

eh ... 3mil for a big man who can shoot AND defend AND board? Pop's asking for a lot of efficiency in this offense, as well.

3mil is pennies for Bonner's skillset, don't cry about his contract. If anything, cry about Kurt's, which is over 4mil for 3 more years.