PDA

View Full Version : Spurs 2009 Draft Situation

SenorSpur
12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
With the Spurs having burned a 1st round pick on KT, I wonder if anyone has insights to the following questions:

Would the Spurs even be interested in getting back into the first round? I know the Spurs have multiple second round picks. Also I've heard Minnesota could have as many as 4 1st round draft picks. If any team is interested, the Wolves could be a suitable trading partner.

Or are the Spurs simply content to stay out of the 1st round altogether?

TDMVPDPOY
12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
its lottery protected for us....

but doesnt look like it the way we been playing

but no.

Stump
12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
How many roster spots will we have available? Next year, I think we'll look like

Parker/Hill/???
Ginobili/Mason/???
Bowen/Finley/???
Duncan/Mahimni/Tolliver?
Bonner/Thomas/Oberto

Looks like we aren't desperate for another true rotation player, but it sure would be nice to pick up a solid young SF, since Bowen and Finley are old as dirt, on the brink of retirement, and could very well break down next year. Unless we could grab as solid of a prospect as Batum was last year in the draft, we may be better off answering this need with the MLE, or trading extiring contracts at the trade deadline for whatever we need.

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2008, 01:26 PM
In light of what appears to be a 2010 plan, it would certainly make sense to me that the Spurs would prefer to stay out of the guarantees that a First Round pick entails -- no matter how small those guarantees might seem. After all, it's the same group of decision-makers who dealt a #1 to Phoenix in the summer of '03 to add a little more fuel to the fire for the great Kidd chase.

With big numbers already on the books for Duncan and Parker, and with the seemingly apparent need to extend Manu looming, the Spurs' ability to implement a 2010 plan will require as much capspace as they can get. Absent a Splitter-like draft-and-stash situation (which would seem an unwise gamble at this point) the Spurs would probably prefer to avoid the guarantee of a #1 pick.

urunobili
12-15-2008, 01:44 PM
we won't need one if Gist comes in and we chase a long SF... damn we can even try to see how Watson evolved and c if he deserves another shot with us

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
In light of what appears to be a 2010 plan, it would certainly make sense to me that the Spurs would prefer to stay out of the guarantees that a First Round pick entails -- no matter how small those guarantees might seem. After all, it's the same group of decision-makers who dealt a #1 to Phoenix in the summer of '03 to add a little more fuel to the fire for the great Kidd chase.

With big numbers already on the books for Duncan and Parker, and with the seemingly apparent need to extend Manu looming, the Spurs' ability to implement a 2010 plan will require as much capspace as they can get. Absent a Splitter-like draft-and-stash situation (which would seem an unwise gamble at this point) the Spurs would probably prefer to avoid the guarantee of a #1 pick.

Generally I agree with everything you've said.Barring a major trade, which I doubt, our rotation for next year seems set.

However, with the extension Manu will get we don't seem to have enough money for a max contract in 2010, especially if we want to resign Mason as well. We've already seen how the 2008 plan transformed into 2010 plan,so who knows, they might decide to change it again if there's no way we can attract a max type of player. I think it is very possible that if the FO decide to forfeit the 2010 plan, they could take advantage of other teams which would sacrifice a decent 1st rounder or a nice role player for cap releif.

It's an unlikely scenario but if we can't get a max or near max type of player in 2010,as it seems, then we can speculate about alternative plans and we already know the FO can be flexible in their approach.

remingtonbo2001
12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't see the Spurs trading up. Actually, I could see the Spurs ridding themselves of their 2009 Second Round picks this year. The 2009 draft class is supposedly weak.

FromWayDowntown
12-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Generally I agree with everything you've said.Barring a major trade, which I doubt, our rotation for next year seems set.

However, with the extension Manu will get we don't seem to have enough money for a max contract in 2010, especially if we want to resign Mason as well. We've already seen how the 2008 plan transformed into 2010 plan,so who knows, they might decide to change it again if there's no way we can attract a max type of player. I think it is very possible that if the FO decide to forfeit the 2010 plan, they could take advantage of other teams which would sacrifice a decent 1st rounder or a nice role player for cap releif.

It's an unlikely scenario but if we can't get a max or near max type of player in 2010,as it seems, then we can speculate about alternative plans and we already know the FO can be flexible in their approach.

Yeah, I'm not passing on the relative merits of a 2010 plan or whether the Spurs will stick with it. My point is just that IF the Spurs maintain what seems to be a 2010 plan, they're more likely to stay away from Round 1 in 2009 than they are to find a way back into it.

SenorSpur
12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
How many roster spots will we have available? Next year, I think we'll look like

Parker/Hill/???
Ginobili/Mason/???
Bowen/Finley/???
Duncan/Mahimni/Tolliver?
Bonner/Thomas/Oberto

Looks like we aren't desperate for another true rotation player, but it sure would be nice to pick up a solid young SF, since Bowen and Finley are old as dirt, on the brink of retirement, and could very well break down next year. Unless we could grab as solid of a prospect as Batum was last year in the draft, we may be better off answering this need with the MLE, or trading extiring contracts at the trade deadline for whatever we need.

This continues to be an area of concern, for the long term. One that I really hope they address this offseason. Of course, I've said that every year for the past 3 years.

Tully365
12-15-2008, 03:00 PM
If I remember correctly, the Spurs will have 3 second round picks this coming summer. I could see them making a 2-for-1 trade that gets the 31st or 32nd pick, which is more valuable than it used to be because many teams will avoid taking young Euros with potential in the #s 20-29 range due to the pre-set rookie pay scale problem-- the same problem that already hurt the Spurs in the Splitter situation. The 31st pick of the draft could actually be more valuable in the coming years than the four or five picks before it.

tp2021
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Gist!

byrdman31
12-15-2008, 03:24 PM
steph curry :p:

i know he wont fit in our system, but that lil guy is damn fun to watch

Steve-O-Matic
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
The 2009 draft class is beyond horrendous. I can't fathom any scenario whereby the Spurs would look to get into the first round, other than trying to get into the top 5 for a shot at Hasheem Thabeet, which would be just about impossible given the Spurs' trade assets (or lack thereof).

tav1
12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
With the Spurs having burned a 1st round pick on KT, I wonder if anyone has insights to the following questions:

Would the Spurs even be interested in getting back into the first round? I know the Spurs have multiple second round picks. Also I've heard Minnesota could have as many as 4 1st round draft picks. If any team is interested, the Wolves could be a suitable trading partner.

Or are the Spurs simply content to stay out of the 1st round altogether?

I'm rushed for time this afternoon, so I haven't read all the responses. My apologies if I'm simply piggy backing on others.

1) It's better for their cap strategy not to have a first.

2) This is (supposedly) a bad draft class.

3) Gist is an obvious camp invite/possible rookie

4) I think Hairston is still in the mix/possible for next season

5) Javtokas' contract is up this summer---if he's ever coming, it's now or bust--the Spurs may pass, I know, but I'm just throwing it out there.

6) The Spurs have Golden State's 2nd round pick, which should be high.

7) Not many roster spots available.

In short, the Spurs aren't desperate. Unless something really nice comes along, I doubt that they make a move.

gingerwave
12-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't think they need to trade up

Stump
12-15-2008, 04:21 PM
The only scenario I could see is if somebody sold us a pick, but I doubt Holt would go for that.

Bruno
12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
The deciding factor won't be the 2010 plan (a low first round pick has a very small salary) or roster spots.
It will highly depend on Spurs scouting.
If the staff finds a player they really like and who will be available around the 25th pick, I expect them to actively try to get a pick in that area. If they found nothing special, they will do nothing.

IMO, it's as simple as that.

12-15-2008, 05:17 PM
james gist counts as three first round draft picks. you need three first round picks in order to successfully draft him in 2009. luckily the spurs drafted him in 2008.

tav1
12-15-2008, 06:18 PM
The deciding factor won't be the 2010 plan (a low first round pick has a very small salary) or roster spots.
It will highly depend on Spurs scouting.
If the staff finds a player they really like and who will be available around the 25th pick, I expect them to actively try to get a pick in that area. If they found nothing special, they will do nothing.

IMO, it's as simple as that.

Bruno = Smart Dude.

AFBlue
12-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Absent a Splitter-like draft-and-stash situation (which would seem an unwise gamble at this point) the Spurs would probably prefer to avoid the guarantee of a #1 pick.

They were rumored to have interest in Omri Casspi, a SF from Israel, and I believe they've sent scouts to see him.

At this point I'm not sure if his stock is first-round or if the Spurs would be willing to trade up to get him, but he's probably one of the only possibilities for draft-n-stash...outside of Victor Claver who will probably go in the lottery.

bigdog
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I say they should trade away the two lower 2nd rounders and keep the higher one. If Damion James (Texas) slips into the 2nd round, I wouldn't mind them picking him up.

Biggems
12-15-2008, 10:01 PM
they only have two 2nd rounders I believe. I would have no problem if we drafted two players and traded them away for 2010 picks.

Quite frankly, next season, I would love to see this lineup

C - Bonner, Sims, Oberto/Thomas
PF - Duncan, Ian, Tolliver
SF - Bowen, Gist, Hairston
SG - Mason, Manu, Finley
PG - Parker, Hill, Ahearn

then in 2010
C - Bonner, Sims
PF - Duncan, Ian, Tolliver?
SF - Gist, Hairston, Williams?
SG - Mason, Manu
PG - Parker, Hill, Ahearn?

Hopefully we can go for Bosh or Stoudamire in 2010....

DROB4EVER
12-15-2008, 10:35 PM
they only have two 2nd rounders I believe. I would have no problem if we drafted two players and traded them away for 2010 picks.

Quite frankly, next season, I would love to see this lineup

C - Bonner, Sims, Oberto/Thomas
PF - Duncan, Ian, Tolliver
SF - Bowen, Gist, Hairston
SG - Mason, Manu, Finley
PG - Parker, Hill, Ahearn

then in 2010
C - Bonner, Sims
PF - Duncan, Ian, Tolliver?
SF - Gist, Hairston, Williams?
SG - Mason, Manu
PG - Parker, Hill, Ahearn?

Hopefully we can go for Bosh or Stoudamire in 2010....

we will go after neither! Look for the spurs to go after older hungry players like Dirk or Joe Johnson and lock up Mase and Manu. They may make a push for wade but I think he stays in Miami......Spurs roster in 2010....

C-Ian, Splitter, Javtokis
PF-Duncan, Ian
SF-Joe Johnson,Gist
SG-Mase, Manu
Pg-Parker,Hill

then filler material.

FromWayDowntown
12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I know that some of the Euro teams -- just some -- are having difficulty meeting payrolls and I've heard some talk that a few of the guys who defected this summer may be popping up on the NBA radar again soon. Does anyone have any sense about what's going on with Tau?

Is there any chance that an economy in the crapper might make the NBA a bit more attractive to Splitter?