PDA

View Full Version : Money makes the Spurs go round

IcemanCometh
02-25-2005, 10:36 AM
They can't even use that magical exuse of "going after big time fa for sure honest" this time around. This was an unabashed unmitigated salary crap in our laps.

T Park
02-25-2005, 10:38 AM
lets root for New Orleans.

IcemanCometh
02-25-2005, 10:40 AM
yeah because they didn't just do the exact same thing we did?

T Park
02-25-2005, 10:42 AM
well its so horrible to root for the Spurs organization.

They dont win, they dont better themselves.

Its just so painfull.

Lets root for New Orleans, or Golden State, better yet, Atlanta.

Fuck this.

So they cut pay roll, so fuckin what, they got a just as good, better player in return cheaper.

But but but but, malik was a cornerstone!!! horseshit.

ducks
02-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I wonder how people would react if spurs traded duncan
I mean duncan makes more then rose

Jimcs50
02-25-2005, 10:46 AM
TPark, the truth hurts, the Spurs made this deal for one reason, that is to get rid of Malik's contract. Mohammed is not the answer, hell the Spurs did not even need an answer, they are the favs to win the championship( 1-1 in Vegas)

The Spurs are always worried about money, that is not a sin, it is being fiscally responsible, it is just the truth however.

ducks
02-25-2005, 10:47 AM
the center postion was the weakest postion spurs had
they improved in that area
it is smart

ducks
02-25-2005, 10:50 AM
if spur fans want to be mad at spurs for trading rose
it was DUNCAN who wanted rose to get the long term deal

T Park
02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
the truth hurts

for you maybe. This was a good trade, and you can spout that vegas bullshit all you want.

Getting Nazr Mohammed, only improved there team about 20 fold.

But, Charles Barkley, David Aldridge, Mark Stein, Kenny Smith, they are all clueless idiots, who dont have a clue about basketball.

Jimcs50
02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Getting Nazr Mohammed, only improved there team about 20 fold.

That is the most asinine statement in the history of this forum, any forum for that matter.

Getting Shaq would not even improve us 1 fold, much less 20 fold.

Mohammed is not very good, he is tall that is all. If he were white, he would be Greg Ostertag.

bigzak25
02-25-2005, 11:21 AM
i have to see naz play in the silver n black before i'm gonna say good trade....if we salary dumped malik for a younger massenburg, that is upsetting.

but we shall see, and at the end of the day, if the Spurs bring home another trophy this year, all is forgiven. I think malik will be back here in a year or two anyway.....

Jimcs50
02-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Zak, I have seen enough of Mohammed to know that the only reason he is in the NBA is because he is 6'10", not because he is a Zo Mourning clone.

He is a journeyman pro, one that will make Rasho look even better.

travis2
02-25-2005, 12:02 PM
I think malik will be back here in a year or two anyway.....

Ain't gonna happen. No way no how.

If Malik ever returns, it won't be until that contract goes away.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
right now he may be a better rebounder though jim as rasho averages a whopping 6.8 per contest, but i agree with you 100 percent, in three weeks Sequ will post the following

Drugs: why pop and Nazr are dumb asses

Tpark-
Bring back Malik!

ducks-
Pop be very stupid, Malik better player tahn sptuid Nazr

Gummi
02-25-2005, 01:10 PM
I can't believe how some fans take this trade as an insult. Of course you make that trade. Why do you guys think that every NBA expert gives the Spurs "two thumbs up" and they give the Knicks a failing grade? We're saving $21 million over the next three seasons.

It's a great deal. Plus, Nazr is a better player then Malik except for Malik's jump shot and free throws.

MosesGuthrie
02-25-2005, 01:35 PM
The Spurs are always worried about money,

Most teams are as well.

exstatic
02-25-2005, 01:58 PM
The Spurs are a FOR PROFIT corporation. Some of you here who are ripping them for dumping an unwieldy salary would be ripping someone in the Political Forum for chastising Dow or IBM for doing the same thing to their employees. You know who you are.

IceColdBrewski
02-25-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't get the point of this thread. Every team out there is all about making the money.

Marcus Bryant
02-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Spurs need to stop acting like Mohammed is what motivated this trade. What did was the $25+ mil in guaranteed salary they moved out of the long term budget.

Seeing as how Malik's contract is what motivated this move, does anyone really expect Mohammed to be kept past the end of his deal in '06? If the Spurs supposedly had to move Rose's contract to be able to afford DBrown and Scola then Mohammed won't be kept on. If he is, then he'd certainly cost the Spurs at least 3 years of guaranteed money at the same rate if not higher than what Malik's deal calls for.

Also, if ownership was comprised of such great and pure businessmen then they wouldn't need a public subsidy to make money.

Gummi
02-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Well, I'm 100% sure that Pop and R.C. are very happy to get Nazr. He's got size and bulk and that's exactly what we needed.

Saving $21 million was the biggest factor, but getting Nazr was also a very big factor. Like someone said, 27-year old centers don't grow on trees. Now we have Duncan (28), Rasho (28), and Nazr (27) all players capable of playing center, that's a very good center rotation and pretty young too.

Rummpd
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
BS - Walton, Vescey and Sam Smith so far have already praised this move for the Spurs.

Spurs got bigger and younger, they may have lost a hustle player that I liked but come on stop the hate for this move = it may well make the Spurs better!

texbumTHElife
02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Most of you guys are missing the point. It wasnt how much Malik was making. It was the fact that in Pop and Holt's eyes he wasnt living up to his contract. If Malik was playing up to the level he was when he signed that contract I have no doubt he would still be here. Bottom line however is this isnt the Malik from 2-3 years ago anymore.

Also whether anyone here likes it or not this is a small market team and it always will be. A priority of the team will always be keeping salaries in check. This is not NY or LA. It never will be.