PDA

View Full Version : SpursTalk.com 1st Annual Carver Academy Holiday Fundraiser

Kori Ellis
12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
In the spirit of Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and just being nice to people, SpursTalk has decided to raise money for the Carver Academy. The school opened in 2001 in San Antonio thanks to the generosity and vision of David Robinson and his wife Valerie who began it all with an initial contribution of $9 million from the David Robinson Foundation.

98% of the children who attend the Carver Academy do so on scholarship. That scholarship money comes from generous people like the Robinsons, me and you.

To start off the fundraising drive, LJ and I are donating $1,000. Additionally, we will match 10 percent of the total donated by the SpursTalk community (up to another $1,000).

Times are tough, we know that. But we are asking that all of you considering giving some amount - no matter how small. David gave a lot to Spurs fans. Let's give back to his organization and the San Antonio community.

You can send donations via Paypal to [email protected].

If you don't have Paypal, you can send a check. Just PM me for details. If you live in San Antonio, you can leave an envelope under the mat at our house. Basically, we don't care how you get the money to us.

On December 31st, we will announce the total in the fund and send off the check to the Carver Academy on behalf of the SpursTalk community. (To prove that we sent the money, I'll post an image of the check or something - because I know some of you naysayers aren't going to believe it.)

If you give any amount, no matter how big or small, you will receive a special symbol next under your user name to indicate you have donated. So please state your username when you send in your donation.

We would love to make this an annual fundraiser each December at SpursTalk.

Thanks and happy holidays.

-Kori and LJ Ellis

duncan228
12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks Kori and LJ. What a wonderful thought, and the Carver Academy is a perfect choice of organization for ST to donate to.

Times are tough, but if we can all give just a few dollars it will add up nicely, especially with the generosity of your matching it.

Thanks for the opportunity, I hope it is something we can do every year.

dougp
12-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Sending a paypal now Kori - you never got back to me about a blog though :(

Pistons < Spurs
12-15-2008, 11:09 PM
That's very cool. Just another example of why this place rocks.

ashbeeigh
12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Give me my mandatory 3-5 days. It's finally my time to get a spur!

CubanMustGo
12-15-2008, 11:31 PM
SpursTalk - there's just no board like it. Thanks for reminding us that the spirit of the season is a giving one.

ClingingMars
12-16-2008, 12:04 AM
David Robinson was a role model to me growing up. Given the chance to contribute to one of his many great charitable efforts...can't pass it up.

-Mars

BruceBowenFan
12-16-2008, 02:44 AM
now this is something i can donate to.

smeagol
12-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Anyway I can do this via a wire transfer?

Kori Ellis
12-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Smeagol - PM me with what information you need from our bank for a transfer. I think you just need the bank name, account number and routing number.

Thanks!

mbass
12-16-2008, 09:59 AM
donation is on its way to a wonderful school.:flag:

easjer
12-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the opportunity. SFIE and I have sent our contribution.

PakiDan
12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Nice Job Kori and LJ! I'll get my $$ to you under your mat.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks to everyone who has donated so far. At the end of the month, I'll send out personal thank you emails and LJ will add the symbols next to your user names.

clooneyschick04
12-16-2008, 11:27 AM
My husband and I have sent our contribution. Thanks Kori and LJ!

Kori Ellis
12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
My husband and I have sent our contribution. Thanks Kori and LJ!

Got it, thank you. Long time, no see. :)

gingerwave
12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Doing great things for those who need it.

urunobili
12-16-2008, 01:17 PM
thanks for doing this! via paypal we can also contribute from overseas :tu

smeagol... you should get your own paypal account buddy... it's not ONLY for US citizens :) and i bet u have a credit card! :lol

tonylongoriafan
12-16-2008, 02:38 PM
just used paypal, took like 30 seconds!

and thanks for doing this, great idea.

http://blog.charles-armstrong.com/wp-content/plugins/yet-another-photoblog/cache/thumb.2187df6a40f21b453a23eea0b0da27a3.7595a86887a e41d057fb837cc5eddbe1.jpeg

alamo50
12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Finaly a great initiative!
I send my contributions to the Carver Academy immediately when it was possible to do it directly online in June of this year and posted about it in here. Just got a few replies on it, but also a few contributions.

Thanks for putting it back in attention and making it an annual event!

ClingingMars
12-16-2008, 06:30 PM
just used paypal, took like 30 seconds!

and thanks for doing this, great idea.

http://blog.charles-armstrong.com/wp-content/plugins/yet-another-photoblog/cache/thumb.2187df6a40f21b453a23eea0b0da27a3.7595a86887a e41d057fb837cc5eddbe1.jpeg

Very nice! my name a Borat!

-Mars

Dex
12-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Fantastic idea, Kori and LJ.

Yet another reason why SpursTalk is incredible.

Manu-of-steel
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
i'm from asia. how do i send my humble contribution to u kori?

ploto
12-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Wonderful idea- a lot of private schools are suffering in these economic times.

JPB
12-17-2008, 08:41 AM
You'll got euros from me too.

And 1 euro = 1,4095 dollar :D

alamo50
12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
You'll got euros from me too.

And 1 euro = 1,4095 dollar :D

:convertib

DannyT
12-17-2008, 05:19 PM
would be cool if in the future you could somehow provide a reciept for tax breaks....good shit Kori...

dougp
12-17-2008, 06:13 PM
would be cool if in the future you could somehow provide a reciept for tax breaks....good shit Kori...

Never quite understood why people feel they should have a tax break for donating. Probably because I've never donated a large amount of money - generally used items, amounts less than $100 or my time. I honestly enjoy the feeling of helping someone else - maybe if I was a millionaire it'd matter.

DannyT
12-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Never quite understood why people feel they should have a tax break for donating. Probably because I've never donated a large amount of money - generally used items, amounts less than $100 or my time. I honestly enjoy the feeling of helping someone else - maybe if I was a millionaire it'd matter.

I think its only good for some many hundreds of dollars...but if you really think about it it helps both causes...its just that you are furtunate enough to have the money to give. For those who are hurting a bit more its a chance for them to have that same feeling and give back but at the same time have it help them at the end of the year...just how I see it and like I said I think you are only allowed to claim a few hundred back unless there are other loop holes which I am sure there is....anyway its a great cause and I am excited to see if it help ST get on the map ever more so and thus leading us to help out more and more down the road

phxspurfan
12-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Done -- paypal makes this type of thing so easy...

mbass
12-17-2008, 09:57 PM
----------------------
You don't need a receipt if the donation is under $250 - just a canceled check or a credit card statement. Also, considering that , if you donate $100, you are still paying income tax on that $100. So, the deduction is not a tax break but an amount deducted from your gross income.

Spurologist
12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
great fundraising idea.

Just sent the little i had left in my paypal account

Destro
12-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe yall should challenge the other Spurs boards to a friendly game of who can raise more money...

ploto
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM
----------------------
You don't need a receipt if the donation is under $250 - just a canceled check or a credit card statement. Also, considering that , if you donate $100, you are still paying income tax on that $100. So, the deduction is not a tax break but an amount deducted from your gross income.

It only helps if you itemize your deductions.

But if you are in a high tax bracket and donate thousands of dollars to charity, it helps a lot.

koriwhat
12-18-2008, 12:54 PM
just sent ya a donation of $30. wish i had more to give. thanks for running this site and the fundraiser kori and lj.

mbass
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
It only helps if you itemize your deductions.

But if you are in a high tax bracket and donate thousands of dollars to charity, it helps a lot.

If you combine your deductions - if you own a home and have a mortgage payment and property tax, a huge expense in Texas, you are likely better off in itemizing.

CubanMustGo
12-18-2008, 03:00 PM
If you combine your deductions - if you own a home and have a mortgage payment and property tax, a huge expense in Texas, you are likely better off in itemizing.

+1

If I can get 25% of a donation back at the end of the year, I'm happy.

mookie2001
12-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Smeagol - PM me with what information you need from our bank for a transfer. I think you just need the bank name, account number and routing number.

Thanks!Banco de Esmegmol Mecos Blanca Argentina

Slydragon
12-19-2008, 03:06 AM
Just sent, not much but I hope it helps.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Kori, I sent you a PM I'll be able to contribute somewhere between 50-100. It would be easier for me to mail cash, but if you need it to be mailed in check form tell me this is a great cause I want to help in whatever way I can.

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 06:04 PM
In the spirit of Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and just being nice to people, SpursTalk has decided to raise money for the Carver Academy. The school opened in 2001 in San Antonio thanks to the generosity and vision of David Robinson and his wife Valerie who began it all with an initial contribution of $9 million from the David Robinson Foundation.

98% of the children who attend the Carver Academy do so on scholarship. That scholarship money comes from generous people like the Robinsons, me and you.

To start off the fundraising drive, LJ and I are donating $1,000. Additionally, we will match 10 percent of the total donated by the SpursTalk community (up to another $1,000).

Times are tough, we know that. But we are asking that all of you considering giving some amount - no matter how small. David gave a lot to Spurs fans. Let's give back to his organization and the San Antonio community.

You can send donations via Paypal to [email protected].

If you don't have Paypal, you can send a check. Just PM me for details. If you live in San Antonio, you can leave an envelope under the mat at our house. Basically, we don't care how you get the money to us.

On December 31st, we will announce the total in the fund and send off the check to the Carver Academy on behalf of the SpursTalk community. (To prove that we sent the money, I'll post an image of the check or something - because I know some of you naysayers aren't going to believe it.)

If you give any amount, no matter how big or small, you will receive a special symbol next under your user name to indicate you have donated. So please state your username when you send in your donation.

We would love to make this an annual fundraiser each December at SpursTalk.

Thanks and happy holidays.

-Kori and LJ Ellis

Indeed there is nothing more giving to give to those who need.

koriwhat
12-24-2008, 11:56 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS! thanks again kori for putting this together for us to contribute and donate. also thanks for ST. sorry about getting on your bad side back when i first joined here. Thanks again.

T Park
12-24-2008, 02:04 PM
The people that are putting donations into tax breaks.

You donate because its the right thing to do, not because you get a tax break. I don't ever claim donations on my taxes because I don't believe in getting paid back for doing the right thing.

To all of those that have donated, god bless you. These kids are great kids, and of course the school David has started is awesome.

Merry CHRISTMAS everyone.

SequSpur
12-25-2008, 03:01 AM
The people that are putting donations into tax breaks.

You donate because its the right thing to do, not because you get a tax break. I don't ever claim donations on my taxes because I don't believe in getting paid back for doing the right thing.

To all of those that have donated, god bless you. These kids are great kids, and of course the school David has started is awesome.

Merry CHRISTMAS everyone.

Let me make a friendly correction to your take there Tpark.

You either Donate it to the Carver Academy or you donate it to the government. It has nothing to do with beliefs or getting paid back. It's called being smart.

koriwhat
12-27-2008, 03:22 PM
so kori, how much was raised?

Kori Ellis
12-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I haven't tallied it up because some people are sending checks this upcoming week.

I'll let you know in a few days.

Thanks to everyone who contributed so far.

BruceBowenFan
01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
can i give a donation tomorrow, thats when i get paid

td4mvp21
01-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Crap, it's not too late to give a donation is it?

Kori Ellis
01-01-2009, 07:17 PM
It's not too late. Many people have asked to wait until this upcoming week. So I probably won't close donations until the 10th.

Thanks.

Spurs 21+20+9=50
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for setting this up. Just sent a donation via paypal.

Kori Ellis
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
How much have you raised at this point? my brother and I donated some before Christmas.

I'm computing it tonight.

Dex
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm computing it tonight.

It's such a big number, it can't be calculated. It must be computed. :downspin:

Kori Ellis
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
It's such a big number, it can't be calculated. It must be computed. :downspin:

:lol

Yeah I have to find all the loose checks that are floating around for millions and then have my bookkeeper consult the accountant, who will get a hold of the analyst who can enter it into the computer, then I'll have the number :)

duncan228
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
...then have my bookkeeper consult the accountant, who will get a hold of the analyst who can enter it into the computer, then I'll have the number :)

Be sure to change your hat as you switch between all those roles. :)

Thanks again for the time and effort Kori, it's such a cool thing you're doing for those kids on SpursTalk's behalf.

CubanMustGo
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks again for the time and effort Kori, it's such a cool thing you're doing for those kids on SpursTalk's behalf.

+1000

Brutalis
01-14-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm donating after I make a deposit tomorrow so don't close up anything please.

Brutalis
01-14-2009, 12:43 AM
And if you are let me know and I'll go ahead and donate the $1.27 I currently have. :lmao

Dex
01-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Way to gum up the works with your generosity, Brut.

urunobili
01-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Way to gum up the works with your generosity, Brut.

hey 1.27 is better than nothing... :toast

Kori Ellis
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
The final total for the Carver Academy donations posted here (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114339).

Biggems
01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
And if you are let me know and I'll go ahead and donate the $1.27 I currently have. :lmao

You know......IMO, that 1.27 is more impressive than someone throwing down thousands. When you are so broke you have to scrape pennies together to give to charity, that is a special gift indeed.

BTW, I feel for you. I am broke as a joke too. I forgot to donate. I do not have a paypal account and I do not want to start one. I do have a checkbook though. I can't give much......but I do want to help. Had this been done during tax return season, I could have given more....hehehehe

Brutalis
01-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I got laid off from work, so yeah money is sort of tight. Thanks for the comments-means a lot.

Kori, I made my donation. Thanks!

It's the least I can do for DRob and his kids considering what he's done for me.