PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Mahinmi

lefty
12-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Sorry if it's yet another Mahinmi thread, but I don't live in San Anton' and therefore don't get to watch Toros games.

1. Why do people think he is not ready for the NBA?

2 . What are his strenghts, weaknesses?

3. If you think he is ready for the NBA, does he fit the Spurs style or not?

4. Is the FO being too conversative, and should take a chance to throw him in there? I mean, the Lakers did it with Bynum.Plus, maybe Duncan doesn't need a seasoned veteran to help him in the paint

xtremesteven33
12-16-2008, 12:06 AM
:shootme

tp2021
12-16-2008, 12:08 AM
You don't have to live in San Antonio to watch Austin Toros games. IIRC, CD said they're all broadcast on NBA.com.

lefty
12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
You don't have to live in San Antonio to watch Austin Toros games. IIRC, CD said they're all broadcast on NBA.com.

For free?
Is there a blackout on non-us residents?

ss1986v2
12-16-2008, 12:13 AM
scola thread!

errr, wait...

splitter thread!

no. uhh, hold on....

mahinmi thread!

lefty
12-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for your very informative input guys :tu

DROB4EVER
12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
He is ready for the NBA. He is already much better than Oberto and Thomas. He could have played last year and given us some solid mins and I think the Spurs were foolish having him rot in Austin all year not even giving him garbage time may have slowed his development a bit.

His strong points are: runs the floor like a small forward, has a quick first step, nice jumper out to 12ft good shot blocker. His hands have gotten better but still mishandles a pass now and then. Good FT shooter for size and is a good passer from the high post.

Weakness: Still needs to get stronger, very foul prone , doesnt always finish around the rim, turnover prone from the post, puts head down going to the basket making himself smaller than he is....only an avg rebounder.

I think Pops and RC are keeping him under cover till Jan so the spurs can get stronger as the year goes on. His ankle had to have a more serious problem than a sprain for him to be out this long. He must have damaged a something.

Seeing him move on practice video, he looks ready to go. If he can give us 6pts a couple boards and a block or two I think he moves us up to contender status.

mrspurs
12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
:shootme

:lol

mrspurs
12-16-2008, 12:06 PM
His biggest weakness is he cant move his feet. As soon as the ball touches his hands his feet stay glued to the floor. It takes a couple of blinks of the eye before he decides what he's gonna do. And thats to many blinks in this league. Does no good to be quick as a cat when you get scared of the ball touching your hand. At his height and with his quickness, he should be a slam dunker. A shot blocker. If the Spurs can give him some minutes, I think he may be able to play in this league. One way or another someone has to take the scared out of him.

Kobayagi
12-16-2008, 12:07 PM
James Gist!

TDMVPDPOY
12-16-2008, 12:55 PM
this dude is doing nothing besides free loading the spurs......

james gist looms

lefty
12-16-2008, 01:28 PM
He is ready for the NBA. He is already much better than Oberto and Thomas. He could have played last year and given us some solid mins and I think the Spurs were foolish having him rot in Austin all year not even giving him garbage time may have slowed his development a bit.

His strong points are: runs the floor like a small forward, has a quick first step, nice jumper out to 12ft good shot blocker. His hands have gotten better but still mishandles a pass now and then. Good FT shooter for size and is a good passer from the high post.

Weakness: Still needs to get stronger, very foul prone , doesnt always finish around the rim, turnover prone from the post, puts head down going to the basket making himself smaller than he is....only an avg rebounder.

I think Pops and RC are keeping him under cover till Jan so the spurs can get stronger as the year goes on. His ankle had to have a more serious problem than a sprain for him to be out this long. He must have damaged a something.

Seeing him move on practice video, he looks ready to go. If he can give us 6pts a couple boards and a block or two I think he moves us up to contender status.

His biggest weakness is he cant move his feet. As soon as the ball touches his hands his feet stay glued to the floor. It takes a couple of blinks of the eye before he decides what he's gonna do. And thats to many blinks in this league. Does no good to be quick as a cat when you get scared of the ball touching your hand. At his height and with his quickness, he should be a slam dunker. A shot blocker. If the Spurs can give him some minutes, I think he may be able to play in this league. One way or another someone has to take the scared out of him.

:tu

Thanks a lot guys.

Based on your posts, it looks like he has great potential, but that he has a few big flaws to adress in order to compete in the NBA

peskypesky
12-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Apparently, he's a bust. Our own Darko.

Solid D
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM

Clarification for lefty. This is DROB4EVER's opinion.

Ian Mahinmi has an injury to his ankle and was, therefore, unable to fully participate in Training Camp. The Spurs coaching staff were unable to make a fair evaluation of Ian's progress and ability to contribute this season. The Spurs sent him to Austin after his ankle was feeling better and Ian goes out and injures his other ankle. Now he has two injuries to rehab. There is no way anyone on the Spurs can make a fair assessment as to how well Ian can contribute right now. There is no way any personnel evaluator can make an assessment as to how Ian compares with Fab or Kurt.

lefty
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM

Ian Mahinmi has an injury to his ankle and was, therefore, unable to fully participate in Training Camp. The Spurs coaching staff were unable to make a fair evaluation of Ian's progress and ability to contribute this season. The Spurs sent him to Austin after his ankle was feeling better and Ian goes out and injures his other ankle. Now he has two injuries to rehab. There is no way anyone on the Spurs can make a fair assessment as to how well Ian can contribute right now. There is no way any personnel evaluator can make an assessment as to how Ian compares with Fab or Kurt.

Thanks for the clarificarion Solid.

So, the guy is injury prone ?

Vito Corleone
12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
It is very common for a person with an ankle injury to hurt the other through over compensation. In trying to protect the injury he kept his body weight on the other ankle and this caused the injury.

Some of you people don't understand that an ankle sprain has the potential to be much worse than a break. A break involves the injury of non-movement bones while a sprain involves the stretching of ligaments tendons and muscles.

Any doctor will tell you that it is much easier to treat a break than it is a sprain.

Solid D
12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the clarificarion Solid.

So, the guy is injury prone ?

So far, yes. He is young, so that's to his benefit. He has also been a fouler. I believe it is partially because of his inexperience and lack of size versus bigger players. Ian appears to have added mass and strength, so he may be able to hold his position in the post better, without fouling. He hasn't been able to test that aspect in games due to his current health.

lefty
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM
So far, yes. He is young, so that's to his benefit. He has also been a fouler. I believe it is partially because of his inexperience and lack of size versus bigger players. Ian appears to have added mass and strength, so he may be able to hold his position in the post better, without fouling. He hasn't been able to test that aspect in games due to his current health.

Well, let's hope he has a healthy career.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it safe for his ankles to add weight? Unless he adds a substantial amount of mass?

Solid D
12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, let's hope he has a healthy career.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it safe for his ankles to add weight? Unless he adds a substantial amount of mass?

Everybody is different. Generally speaking, the kind of muscle mass and weight he is adding shouldn't give him joint problems.

lefty
12-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Everybody is different. Generally speaking, the kind of muscle mass and weight he is adding shouldn't give him joint problems.

That's good to know; thanks

AFBlue
12-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Other than ChumpDumper, I'm not sure there are many on this board that have seen Ian in gametime. You can youtube some highlight reel dunks or you can talk about his time off the court with injuries, but I don't know many that can speak to his strengths and weaknesses when playing ball on the court.

Based on what I've read, again most second-hand from posters who've seen him more....

Ian is very active around the basket, and once he gets it in his mind to score he's either going to convert or get fouled. He does have nice touch around the basket with a smooth baby hook, but he doesn't have advanced post moves. He's also not bad out to 10-12ft, but it's definitely still a developing part of his game.

As an NBA player, Mahinmi certainly has the motor and athleticism....but I question whether he's big/strong enough at this point. If most of his damage is done within 3-5ft of the basket, I'm not sure he's going to be able to establish and keep his position that low on a regular basis. And if that means he ends up with a face-up game out to 10-12ft, he's not going to be nearly as effective.

Defensively, he's got the athleticism and timing to be a decent shot-blocker and has really improved his rebounding from the stat lines I've seen. Not sure about his help defense, understanding of the system, or overall BBIQ.

Bottom Line: Once Ian gets healthy he'll probably get a chance to prove himself with the team. He brings youth and athleticism to the frontcourt that is unparalleled, which can be useful in many matchups.

I hope he makes the most of it, but I contend that a little more time refining his game in Austin might not be such a bad thing.

SenorSpur
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I can't wait for his guy to hit the floor. Whatever stage of development his game is in, his skills and level of athleticism, in and around the basket, are something this team sorely lacks.

Manufan909
12-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Ok, he went from 2-2 a week or so ago to dropping off the face of the earth, what happened?

xellos88330
12-29-2008, 02:30 AM
I think Ian has enormous amounts of potential. I mean last season he averaged 3.8 minutes per game and in that small amount of time he was 6-12 FG, .8 RPG, .67 BPG, 3.5 PPG. He was also 9-9 FT, and got to the line 1.5 times per game.

He also has a turnover problem. Hopefully being a big key to the Toros last season he would have learned how to pass and handle better.

tp2021
12-29-2008, 03:07 AM

Let it be restated that Ian is also younger than Georgie.

mathbzh
12-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Apparently, he's a bust. Our own Darko.

Except Darko was drafted before Wade, Melo, Bosh :rolleyes

Manufan909
12-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Where's chump, damnit!?! No one has been able to answer my question.:depressed

mrspurs
12-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Other than ChumpDumper, I'm not sure there are many on this board that have seen Ian in gametime. You can youtube some highlight reel dunks or you can talk about his time off the court with injuries, but I don't know many that can speak to his strengths and weaknesses when playing ball on the court.

Based on what I've read, again most second-hand from posters who've seen him more....

Ian is very active around the basket, and once he gets it in his mind to score he's either going to convert or get fouled. He does have nice touch around the basket with a smooth baby hook, but he doesn't have advanced post moves. He's also not bad out to 10-12ft, but it's definitely still a developing part of his game.

As an NBA player, Mahinmi certainly has the motor and athleticism....but I question whether he's big/strong enough at this point. If most of his damage is done within 3-5ft of the basket, I'm not sure he's going to be able to establish and keep his position that low on a regular basis. And if that means he ends up with a face-up game out to 10-12ft, he's not going to be nearly as effective.

Defensively, he's got the athleticism and timing to be a decent shot-blocker and has really improved his rebounding from the stat lines I've seen. Not sure about his help defense, understanding of the system, or overall BBIQ.

Bottom Line: Once Ian gets healthy he'll probably get a chance to prove himself with the team. He brings youth and athleticism to the frontcourt that is unparalleled, which can be useful in many matchups.

I hope he makes the most of it, but I contend that a little more time refining his game in Austin might not be such a bad thing.

You cant compare those 2 leagues. Impossible.

Tbiggums47
12-29-2008, 06:22 PM

Very well said. I hope Ian is the player The Spurs Drafted him to be. His build looks a lot like D Robs's!

Very well put. The Spurs need an athletic big to keep these teams from using penetration as an option to score. Back in the D Rob era teams would hedge at penetration because we had Tim and David waiting on either side of the floor to swat those shots away. When we finally get that again we will be ready as a contender but as a "favorite" to win it all. Right now Boston, Cleveland, and LA have clear advantages. Spurs are clearly a smarter team. But we need another big.

Ian...You complete us!:lobt2:

picnroll
12-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Who's Mahinmi?

Tbiggums47
12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Who's Mahinmi?

The Spurs 2005 #1 draft Pick. He is a C/F.:sleep

Spurs Brazil
12-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Pop said he and Oberto practiced today but they're not ready

Manufan909
12-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Pop said he and Oberto practiced today but they're not ready

I guess he is given up on trying to make timelines for those two.