PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better Spurs play-by-play voice: Bill Schoening or Jay Howard?

Tom Nissalke
12-16-2008, 12:10 AM
While Bill Schoening is very efficient and credible, I find him generic and vanilla.

Jay Howard, on the other hand, was memorable and passionate. While many people considered him arrogant on Sports Talk San Antonio, I think he was the best play-by-play voice in Spur history.

Your thoughts?

xtremesteven33
12-16-2008, 12:13 AM
i vaguely remember Jay Howard, but from what i remember he was good. I remember my father liked him so much that when we would watch spurs games he would mute the TV and put on the radio to listen to Jay Howard call the games rather than the TV commentators.

I like Schoening. I find him to make the game very exciting to listen to and he also sounds very passionate about what he does.

Jimmy Bobby
12-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Jay Howard was fired for a reason: because he wasn't that good.

Same thing on S.T.S.A. WOAI decided that Jeff Vexler, Walter Pasacrita, Jason Thompson and Rob Thompson couldn't carry Mister Taylor's jock.

WOAI and Ticket 760 have significantly upgraded themselves by firing the losers and elevating the winners.

z0sa
12-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Schoening is excellent, not sure someone could do better than him.

Obstructed_View
12-16-2008, 12:58 AM
YSwjEsZ5zzk

Jay who?

phyzik
12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Jay Howard was good (if not the best) as a color man. BANG!!!

But Bill Schoening is my cup of tea... I dont listen to radio to hear color, I can see and hear that shit on TV any day. I listen to it (radio) for the play-by-play-no-bullshit commentary and he delivers. :tu

Obstructed_View
12-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Jay loots Keith Olbermann's bits for his schtick. Bang.

Logan
12-16-2008, 01:19 AM
So many of you people are so young you can't remember Jay Howard.

Personally, I love Jay Howard. He reminds me of the guy in the the Mexican Beer commercials. He is a Man's Man.

To borrow a phrase from Chris Duel, Jay Howard is a "Golden God!" :flag:

phyzik
12-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Lets put it this way.... if Jay Howard was on TV commentating the Spurs with Sean I'd watch him vs listening to Bill. If Bill was doing commentating on TV.... it wouldnt work for me.

and Im tired of Chris Duel using the title "Golden God." I commented on it in a thread in the Club that he says it way too much.... Yeah he is right, he has only titled like 6 people with it, maybe its just the way he says it or how many times he says it for the same person... it just gets freaking rediculous. It's like hearing some blonde chick say "and so like, okaayyy..." a million times for one statement. We get you want to blow his junk off Chris, calm the fuck down and talk sports already.

Jimmy Bobby
12-16-2008, 01:22 AM
This is a moot point, people.

WOAI fired Jay Howard for the more talented Bill Shoening. Just like they fired Jeff Vexler, Jason Thompson and Rob Thompson for the more talented Mike Taylor.

End of discussion.

Vito Corleone
12-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Jay howard was a very good color man, remember he basically did the whole thing by himself where most teams have two guys doing their games.

But the reason Jay Howard was fired was he was an asshole, not just an asshole but an arrogant asshole. I was damn happy when he got the boot and I don't miss him one bit.

If I had to chose between Bill and Jay I'd take Bill every time, as good as Jay was no one is as good as he thought he was.

baseline bum
12-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Jay was not a color man. I don't know where any of you all are getting that from. Jay was the play by play man, not the supporting guy, and he was great at painting the picture of exactly what was happening on the floor when you were listening to him.

Schoening sucks. Howard may have been a huge prick, but he was talented. Schoening is fingernails on a chalkboard bad, and everyone I know who isn't a Spurs fan agrees with me that he's awful.

Manu, that is why you do the voodoo that you do so well

That was lame as shit. I wonder how long he had that one planned? He should have left it on the drawing board until he could make it sound unforced; that call sounded so stupid. Not quite the memorable call of Jay going fucking nuts screaming BANG! when Sean hit the three against Portland or when he announced "The pride of the great Lone Star State are NBA Champions!" as the buzzer sounded in Madison Square Garden.

Obstructed_View
12-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Jay Howard was not only trite, but he was unoriginal. Bang? Really? "The pride of the great lone star state" is what they say at the beginning of the games, so he basically ripped off OAI for that one. Stupidity. The moment made the call great, but don't act like "fires an off-balance three: BANNNG!" is talent. :rolleyes

baseline bum
12-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Jay Howard was not only trite, but he was unoriginal. Bang? Really? "The pride of the great lone star state" is what they say at the beginning of the games, so he basically ripped off OAI for that one. Stupidity. The moment made the call great, but don't act like "fires an off-balance three: BANNNG!" is talent. :rolleyes

Being able to accurately portray what is happening to someone who cannot watch while getting fired up at the right times certainly is talent.

NZ Spurs
12-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Jay Howard = :bking

Its a shame WOAI stopped international listeners from listening.

urunobili
12-16-2008, 06:13 AM
never heard Howard... but i can tell you that Bill Schoening is probably one of my all time favorites...

Manufan909
12-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Jay was not a color man. I don't know where any of you all are getting that from. Jay was the play by play man, not the supporting guy, and he was great at painting the picture of exactly what was happening on the floor when you were listening to him.

Schoening sucks. Howard may have been a huge prick, but he was talented. Schoening is fingernails on a chalkboard bad, and everyone I know who isn't a Spurs fan agrees with me that he's awful.

That was lame as shit. I wonder how long he had that one planned? He should have left it on the drawing board until he could make it sound unforced; that call sounded so stupid. Not quite the memorable call of Jay going fucking nuts screaming BANG! when Sean hit the three against Portland or when he announced "The pride of the great Lone Star State are NBA Champions!" as the buzzer sounded in Madison Square Garden.

Fuck you, that voodoo quote was hilarious, there's a reason it was put on the championship DVD.

And I'm going to assume by what I put in bold everyone who actually likes the Spurs disagreed with you. Who cares what non-fans think? Schoening is for Spurs nuts, period. If I got off too late from work I was more than happy to put my radio on 1200 AM, he was just awesome every time. I might be too young to remember Jay, but don't hate on my man Bill.:ihit

I Love Me Some Me
12-16-2008, 09:07 AM
To me, it's not really that big of a deal. I only listen to the call on radio if I'm not in front of a TV, and 9 times out of 10 I'll be in front of a TV.

I guess if I had to choose I'd go with Howard, since he's who I heard first, but the difference isn't really that great.

Taco
12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Jay Howard was fired for a reason: because he wasn't that good.
Same thing on S.T.S.A. WOAI decided that Jeff Vexler, Walter Pasacrita, Jason Thompson and Rob Thompson couldn't carry Mister Taylor's jock.

WOAI and Ticket 760 have significantly upgraded themselves by firing the losers and elevating the winners.

WRONG!!

JAY WAS FIRED BECAUSE HE WAS A PRIMADONA AND HE FINALLY RUFFLED THE WRONG PERSON'S FEATHERS.

I THINK JAY HOWARD WAS A HUGE PRIMADONA.

I DON'T LIKE HIM BUT HE DID CALL A GOOD GAME

I THINK BILL CALLS A GOOD GAME AS WELL BUT I STILL WOULD PUT JAY JUST AHEAD OF BILL ( AND I HATE JAY )

MrChug
12-16-2008, 09:29 AM
...don't get me started. Bill Schoening.

Anti.Hero
12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Schoening.

mrspurs
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I never listened much to either one. Like Ive said for many years if on the TV or (radio even thou its been years since ive heard any game on the radio). I mute whomever is talking and just watch the game. Of course it takes a little more during live games. But its not hard. Been married over 20 years with tons of kids it seems. Selective hearing. Gotta love it.................

NFGIII
12-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I like both of them but personally I would prefer Terry Stembridge. The original SA Spur announcer. I think it's just becasue he was the first and I really enjoyed listening to him. BTW back then if you got 5 games to see tthem on TV that was huge! No cable - no internet - you know - the Dark Ages.

Obstructed_View
12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I never listened much to either one. Like Ive said for many years if on the TV or (radio even thou its been years since ive heard any game on the radio). I mute whomever is talking and just watch the game. Of course it takes a little more during live games. But its not hard. Been married over 20 years with tons of kids it seems. Selective hearing. Gotta love it.................

It must have been years since you've heard a game on the radio, since you keep muting the sound.

SenorSpur
12-16-2008, 10:50 AM
I like both of them but personally I would prefer Terry Stembridge. The original SA Spur announcer. I think it's just becasue he was the first and I really enjoyed listening to him. BTW back then if you got 5 games to see tthem on TV that was huge! No cable - no internet - you know - the Dark Ages.

Howard was style; Schoening is substance. I enjoyed listening to both for different reasons.

However, both pale in comparison to the great Terry Stembridge - the original SA Spur announcer. I agree with NFGIII, in that my bias is also based more on the nostalgia aspect. That said, Stembridge was factual, insightful, witty and humble. He will always be my favorite.

Who could ever forget his signature signoff slogan, "there WILL be another night".

T Park
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Bill Schoening is a no talent hack.

You people are nuts.

Obstructed_View
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Who could ever forget his signature signoff slogan, "there WILL be another night".

Wow, did the Spurs lose that much back then? :lol

T Park
12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Schoening is substance?

So that stammering hemming and hawing that he does is "good"?!?!?!?!

Good lord people...

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Who is better at play by play? Jay Howard.

But Bill Schoening is cool too. Don't know why this has to be some pissing contest. Both are good enough to get the job done. But apparently one of them is a bit of an asshole who's full of himself. Sounds like everything worked out fine in the end.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Bill Schoening has received award after award for his work. When he first got to San Antonio, people were "against" him just because he was different than Jay. However, he has developed into being very very good at what he does for the Spurs. He's also a very nice man and you never hear anyone saying anything bad about the guy - which is a little different than Jay Howard.

I've met Jay a couple times, and he was nice too. But I understand that he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with the big ego.

timvp
12-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Schoening took a while for me to get used to because Jay Howard would always be a step ahead of the action while Schoening is more of a see and react type. It comes off a little slow at first, especially compared to Howard, but in the last few seasons I thought he's been a lot better. During the preseason this year (which is the only time I listen to the radio) you could tell he did his homework on each of invites ... which was appreciated.

On a personal level, he's about 234235702341 times nicer and more respectful to other than Howard.

MoSpur
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Jay Howard was better at calling the game, but Bill is easier to like because of his personality. Howard is arrogant and that at made it hard to like him, but if you ignored his arrogance and just listened to his play by play, it was pretty darn good.

mexicanjunior
12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Jay Howard...hands down. Schoening has some of the cheesiest lines I've ever heard by announcers. I also liked Howard's enthusiasm alot more during close games.

cherylsteele
12-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Howard was style; Schoening is substance. I enjoyed listening to both for different reasons.

However, both pale in comparison to the great Terry Stembridge - the original SA Spur announcer. I agree with NFGIII, in that my bias is also based more on the nostalgia aspect. That said, Stembridge was factual, insightful, witty and humble. He will always be my favorite.

Stembridge was just befor emy time that I moved to town, I personally preferred Sam Smith who did PBP in the 80's

Spurs Brazil
12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Shoening is great. I really like him. I listen to other teams broadcast sometimes and for me Shoening is the best

I Love Me Some Me
12-16-2008, 02:39 PM
If Jay Howard was so spectacular, why haven't any of the 29 other teams asked him to do their play-by-play?

Vito Corleone
12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
WRONG!!

JAY WAS FIRED BECAUSE HE WAS A PRIMADONA AND HE FINALLY RUFFLED THE WRONG PERSON'S FEATHERS.

I THINK JAY HOWARD WAS A HUGE PRIMADONA.

I DON'T LIKE HIM BUT HE DID CALL A GOOD GAME

I THINK BILL CALLS A GOOD GAME AS WELL BUT I STILL WOULD PUT JAY JUST AHEAD OF BILL ( AND I HATE JAY )

+1 Listening to Jay call the game was great, listening to him communicate with the fans made me want to reach into the radio and pimp slap him.

What was worse was his constant flirting with that girl that was on with him.

Jay Howard was better at calling the game, but Bill is easier to like because of his personality. Howard is arrogant and that at made it hard to like him, but if you ignored his arrogance and just listened to his play by play, it was pretty darn good.

I love Bill, from his days at calling the Longhorn games to his days as a spurs announcer he is very good at what he does.

BTW Jay was both a play by play and a color guy, when you are the only person on you have to do both and he did, very well. Too bad he was an asshole.

Taco
12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62199

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62199

monoco has done some games and is horrible.

Barnett, if you were a fan in the early 90s was the full time TV play by play guy.

Barnett is the best PBP next to Jay Howard this franchise has ever had.

Plus he lives here :tu

BANG!!!
Jay Howard was great!!

But he got to big for himself

Don't feel bad for Jay, his marriage to Celine Dion is still doing well

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/03/23/renedion_wideweb__430x297.jpg

Hemotivo
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Schoening is right now the best in the nba

Jimmy Bobby
12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Jay Howard was the past.

Bill Schoening is the present and the future.

Jeff Vexler, Chris Duel and the Thompson Brothers were the past.

Mike Taylor is the present and the future.

We have moved on, you idiots.

pjjrfan
12-17-2008, 01:11 AM
I always liked how Jay Howard called the games. Shoening is fine, but Howard was just an awesome talent at bringing the game to life through he radio. What I didn't like was Jay's post game show and his weekly show where he would cut off people and always took the company line, but when he called a game he would not hold back if the Spurs were playing lousy, he let you know.

jcrod
12-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Jay Howard was the past.

How many times are you going to repeat yourself, I think everybody understood who you liked the first time.

You also have no idea the reasoning he was let go.

jcrod
12-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Schoening took a while for me to get used to because Jay Howard would always be a step ahead of the action while Schoening is more of a see and react type. It comes off a little slow at first, especially compared to Howard, but in the last few seasons I thought he's been a lot better. During the preseason this year (which is the only time I listen to the radio) you could tell he did his homework on each of invites ... which was appreciated.

On a personal level, he's about 234235702341 times nicer and more respectful to other than Howard.

My exact thoughts. Jay was good at making you feel as you were watching tv and was right on top of the action.

Donnie Hathaway
12-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Jay Howard was the past.

Idiots?
You seem to be the only idiot co-signing Mike Taylors lame ass, oh well maybe its because your his personal fluffer. stick to your 3-6 shift of being the secretary's secretary....