PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Iraq-$687 BILLION & counting

byrontx
12-16-2008, 09:21 AM
sonnabitch'n Bush hosed the country!

and now republican retards are claiming we did it out of the goodness of our hearts because Saddam was a bad guy.

Yonivore
12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Worth every penny.

DarkReign
12-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Worth every penny.

:lmao

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Worth every penny.

do you honestly believe that?

Yonivore
12-16-2008, 09:32 AM
do you honestly believe that?
I honestly believe had he spent less, there'd be a whole lot more dead people. Yes.

Anti.Hero
12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
People die in the world all the time. That is reality.

The American government's duty is to Americans.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
I honestly believe had he spent less, there'd be a whole lot more dead people. Yes.

I see, what if there was no war? what then?

TDMVPDPOY
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
the war was a waste of money

it only made sense when oil was drying up and pushing up the prices....now its back down to affordable prices......gtfo while you still can.....

Yonivore
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I see, what if there was no war? what then?

I believe there'd be a lot more dead Americans.

DarkReign
12-16-2008, 09:39 AM

More dead Americans because the war would have been under-funded while in combat?

Or more dead Americans because Sadaam was planning to invade the US with his WMDs?

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM

really? let's see... just by looking at the numbers, how many terrorist attacks would you say it would take to have as many casualties as there are dead American soldiers right now?

you either look at it from the numbers perspective or the principle of the thing. Given that the "principle of the thing" angle has been pretty much been blown to shit and the numbers don't really support your claim, I ask again, do you really still believe that?

P.S. How much better prepared to cope with today's economic crysis would the US be if there had been no Iraq war?

EDIT: This is all depends on whether you view the Iraq war as a legitimate attempt to fight terrorism... which most people don't.

byrontx
12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
What can really chap your ass is not only was the war not needed for American security but the shitty planning meant it was under-funded at the wrong times. Not enough protective gear (moms and dads were sending their military kids protective vests) and for a long time after the guys on the ground were asking for protection from improvised roadside bombs they were being sent out in lightly armored Humvees. Remember them rumaging through dumps for scrap metal to convert to improvised armor?

Worse, the needed number of troops weren't sent and when they finally did it was marketed as "The Surge" as though it was a military miracle.

Not only did they blow all that money, money that we could be using to put our economic house in order, but they somehow did it while trying to make war on the cheap. Fucking idiots!

Oh, Gee!!
12-16-2008, 10:29 AM
So what?

byrontx
12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
?

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112230

clambake
12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
:lmao at the "surge".

surge=paying them not to kill us.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
We should be getting paid back by the Iraqis, but we won't..

8ft.tall.tejano
12-16-2008, 01:43 PM

hell yeah...lets bring back the tributes...roman empire style...then we could even make commercials....

tired of your dictator? do the comforts and security of civilization got you down? no one to turn to? well then...
call the USA...we'll turn your country from the only secular muslim state in the world to a third world oil/tire fire in a matter of months!!! enjoy endless years of unsanctioned occupation...all for the low, low price of 25% of your GDP for the next 200 years...*mission accomplished sign an extra 10 billion....

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2008, 01:45 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao Priceless!

DarrinS
12-16-2008, 01:50 PM
I posted this a couple weeks ago:

The current bailout costs more than all of the following (in inflation adjusted dollars):

• Marshall Plan: Cost: $12.7 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $115.3 billion
• Louisiana Purchase: Cost: $15 million, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $217 billion
• Race to the Moon: Cost: $36.4 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $237 billion
• S&L Crisis: Cost: $153 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $256 billion
• Korean War: Cost: $54 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $454 billion
• The New Deal: Cost: $32 billion (Est), Inflation Adjusted Cost: $500 billion (Est)
• Invasion of Iraq: Cost: $551b, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $597 billion
• Vietnam War: Cost: $111 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $698 billion
• NASA: Cost: $416.7 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $851.2 billion

TOTAL: $3.92 trillion

------------------------------------

Evidently, my Iraq cost is a little bit outdated. The bailout is still more than all those combined.

smeagol
12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I posted this a couple weeks ago:

The current bailout costs more than all of the following (in inflation adjusted dollars):

• Marshall Plan: Cost: $12.7 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $115.3 billion
• Louisiana Purchase: Cost: $15 million, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $217 billion
• Race to the Moon: Cost: $36.4 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $237 billion
• S&L Crisis: Cost: $153 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $256 billion
• Korean War: Cost: $54 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $454 billion
• The New Deal: Cost: $32 billion (Est), Inflation Adjusted Cost: $500 billion (Est)
• Invasion of Iraq: Cost: $551b, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $597 billion
• Vietnam War: Cost: $111 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $698 billion
• NASA: Cost: $416.7 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $851.2 billion

TOTAL: $3.92 trillion

------------------------------------

Evidently, my Iraq cost is a little bit outdated. The bailout is still more than all those combined.

WHo told you the bailout costs $4 trillion?

DarrinS
12-16-2008, 02:48 PM
WHo told you the bailout costs $4 trillion?

Actually, that was an old estimate. I've heard it's up to 8.5 trillion now.

smeagol
12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Actually, that was an old estimate. I've heard it's up to 8.5 trillion now.

What are you talking about?

Congress passed a $700B bailout bill. There were some talks of other stimulous packages . . . but please explain to me how do you get from that to $8.5 trillion?

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Congress passed a $700B bailout bill. There were some talks of other stimulous packages . . . but please explain to me how do you get from that to $8.5 trillion?

he might be talking pesos :lol

smeagol
12-16-2008, 03:22 PM

DarrinS
12-16-2008, 04:36 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/business/economy/story?id=6332892

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-16-2008, 07:51 PM
To expand on my earlier comment... Since the Iraqis got their oil infrastructure up and running, they should be using those profits to pay for the reconstruction and also our further infrastructure construction.

That was supposed to be part of the original plan when we went into Iraq, but I don't see it happening.

Oh, Gee!!
12-17-2008, 08:42 AM
we were also gonna be greeted as liberators. can't always get what you want.

Yonivore
12-17-2008, 08:45 AM
we were also gonna be greeted as liberators. can't always get what you want.

We were greeted as liberators.

Oh, Gee!!
12-17-2008, 08:55 AM
We were greeted as liberators.

by size 10 loafers. :lol:lol:lol

Yonivore
12-17-2008, 09:04 AM
by size 10 loafers. :lol:lol:lol
You have either a short or selective memory.

Yonivore
12-17-2008, 09:54 AM
I spent two hours on the morning of April 9, 2003 watching CNN coverage of Iraqis and U.S. Marines in Firdos Square tearing down a statue of Saddam Hussein, which was then desecrated, spat upon, smacked with shoes, and ridden like a donkey through the streets of Baghdad. As Howard Fineman wrote in Newsweek, affirming what no one then doubted, it was George W. Bush “who toppled that statue.” Where were you?

Doesn’t anyone remember this? Are the biases of liberals so personally crippling that they purge their own memory banks?

Of course, shame on President Bush and his administration for not constantly reminding us of this. Certainly, the press certainly hasn’t bothered.

During that time period, when Iraqis weren’t talking of forging gold statues to George W. Bush, they were running around the streets literally praising God for him. Here, too, I could give example after example, but I will stick with another from the popular press, this from the London Telegraph, May 21, 2003:

Juad Amir Sayed, an Iraqi Shiite Muslim, lived in the village of Karada, 90 miles southeast of Baghdad. At age 24, he had buried all of his books in a flour sack, burned his identity card, and constructed a tunnel and three-by-five-foot concrete cell under the family kitchen. He entered that cell on December 2, 1981 and lived there for the next 22 years.

Juad dug a tiny three-inch diameter hole deep into the ground from which he sucked water. This was his well. A smaller peep hole provided a ray of sunlight during the day. His only company was a Koran and a radio with headphones that he kept tuned to the Arabic Service of the BBC. His bright moment came near the 20th anniversary of his confinement when he heard a speech by President Bush on the September 11 attacks. “Mr. Bush gave a speech in which he said the terrorists of the world would be hunted down,” recalled Juad. “The next time my mother brought me food I told her of my conviction that [Saddam] would not last.”

Juad assumed that any hunt for terrorists would naturally include Saddam Hussein. Fortunately for him, the American president agreed.

Once American troops arrived, Juad entered the light of freedom for the first time in over two decades. “I believe that Allah worked through Mr. Bush to make this happen,” said Juad. “If I met Mr. Bush, I would say, ‘thank you, thank you, you are a good human, you returned me from the dead.’”
That is just one anecdote from the press of the time. Has everyone forgotten about the images they saw on their television sets? To say we were not greeted as liberators is patently and maliciously false.

Now, all that said, I will concede George W. Bush did eventually become unpopular in much of Iraq, as did our presence there, especially in the 2005-6 timeframe. No question. The situation deteriorated. But that’s a different argument with a different genesis. The fact is that we were indeed greeted as liberators and to suggest otherwise is patently dishonest.

Why did things deteriorate? I think that the assumptions that led to much of what went wrong were good American instincts: the desire not to have too heavy of a footprint and the desire to empower Iraqis.

I think everyone involved in the planning of a post-invasion Iraq as well as all of us on the sidelines, completely miscalculated the impact of 30 years of violent, brutal repression on the Iraqi people and their willingness, in President Bush's phrase, ' to stand up' for themselves, to take authority, to take risks.

My guess is that history will say the forces we liberated by invading Iraq were so powerful and so uncontrollable that virtually nothing the United States might have done, except to impose its own repressive state with half a million troops, which might have had to last ten years or more, nothing we could have done would have effectively prevented the disintegration that eventually occurred. In addition, there was a potent enemy, with complicit nation-states, in the region, willing to pour its resources into Iraq to further destabilize the country.

But, on the topic of whether or not we were greeted as liberators, we have another exhibit in the Hall of Hatred erected to George W. Bush. The left has become so anti-Bush that it can’t make simple distinctions between fact and fiction. Not only that, this bit of fiction became a talking point of the Democrat’s presidential nominee and no one in media challenged it. Which, in itself, is another sad statement on the bankruptcy of our national media...which actually reported the fact we were greeted as liberators even as they now ignore their own words.

smeagol
12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/business/economy/story?id=6332892

I appologize.

Although I think the article is double counting some of those individual bailout plans, you were right. The number is much higher than what I thought.

:tu

ChumpDumper
12-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I spent two hours on the morning of April 9, 2003 watching CNN coverage of Iraqis and U.S. Marines in Firdos Square tearing down a statue of Saddam Hussein, which was then desecrated, spat upon, smacked with shoes, and ridden like a donkey through the streets of Baghdad. As Howard Fineman wrote in Newsweek, affirming what no one then doubted, it was George W. Bush “who toppled that statue.” Where were you?....You're a fucking liar.

I spent two hours with about 50 students on the morning of April 9, 2003, watching CNN coverage of Iraqis and U.S. Marines in Firdos Square tearing down a statue of Saddam Hussein, which was then desecrated, spat upon, smacked with shoes, and ridden like a donkey through the streets of Baghdad. As Howard Fineman wrote in Newsweek, affirming what no one doubted, it was George W. Bush "who toppled that statue."

http://texasdaily.net/Commentary.html

It's amazing the lengths Yoni goes to, editing and cobbling together other people's work in an attempt to make himself look smart.

Oh, Gee!!
12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
yoni, you've been chumpdumped. lolz

DarrinS
12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I appologize.

Although I think the article is double counting some of those individual bailout plans, you were right. The number is much higher than what I thought.

:tu

No prob. I agree that they are adding in all the individual bailouts, even those not already passed. With all the numbers flying around, especially in blogs, it's hard to know what is actually being spent.

EDIT> Bottom line: WAAAYYY too much money spent on Iraq

clambake
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
You're a fucking liar.

http://texasdaily.net/Commentary.html

It's amazing the lengths Yoni goes to, editing and cobbling together other people's work in an attempt to make himself look smart.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:rollin

:corn::corn::corn::corn::corn::corn::corn::corn:

The Reckoning
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
lol the bailout costed more

smeagol
12-17-2008, 05:05 PM
yoni, you've been chumpdumped. lolz

Not the first one . . . and probably not the last

Yonivore
12-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Not the first one . . . and probably not the last
Funny...I don't feel the least bit different.

clambake
12-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Funny...I don't feel the least bit different.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Yonivore
12-17-2008, 05:52 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao
What's funny is that SpunkDumpster, who I've had on ignore for close to a year, will expend the energy to prove I plagiarized something when I've readily admitted and never denied that fact I do that in damn near every post. That I stole the information doesn't change the validity of the content.

Fact remains, we were greeted as liberators.

Laugh at that...and, remember, y'all have fun. That's what it's all about.

ChumpDumper
12-17-2008, 05:59 PM
We all know you're a thief.

It's the way you steal.

Really, it's more work to edit someone else's shit to make it look like you wrote it than to merely post a link. It's fucking hilarious that you are that insecure that you are still trying to foll people into thinking you can come up with these ideas and write like that on your own.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-17-2008, 08:46 PM
What's funny is that SpunkDumpster, who I've had on ignore for close to a year, will expend the energy to prove I plagiarized something when I've readily admitted and never denied that fact I do that in damn near every post. That I stole the information doesn't change the validity of the content.

Fact remains, we were greeted as liberators.

Laugh at that...and, remember, y'all have fun. That's what it's all about.

pfff... you're a fucking joke

Yonivore
12-17-2008, 08:47 PM
pfff... you're a fucking joke
D'okie dokie. I guess the joke's on you then.

Oh, Gee!!
12-18-2008, 12:24 AM
D'okie dokie. I guess the joke's on you then.

heh. yoni's on manumaniac. gay.

Def Rowe
12-18-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone get so pwned on the internets. Great stuff. :lol

cherylsteele
12-18-2008, 02:30 AM
The Iraq war has been run like Bush was playing a game of Risk. We just took our 20 armies and invaded Iraq, and lost a good chunk of them doing it. No thought was was used in planning on how it would actually end.

Winehole23
12-18-2008, 02:53 AM
^^^It's not over yet.