PDA

View Full Version : Marion to Cavs

Kobe™
12-16-2008, 09:38 AM
*Gulp*

The Cavaliers have had ongoing discussions with the Miami Heat about an Anderson Varejao and Wally Szczerbiak for Shawn Marion trade, a league executive familiar with the discussions said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnjpKSUC3IYyjm8s8NIAZ.K8vLYF?slug=aw-marion121508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

stretch
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
wow... that would make them even scarier than they already are.

I Love Me Some Me
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Marion's a nice player, but he has that nasty habit of disappearing when it matters.

Findog
12-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Seems like kind of a lateral move to me. Marion is seriously overrated. You won't see 18 and 10 from him anywhere but in D'Antoni's system.

2Cleva
12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Lateral move? He'd be the premier perimeter defender for that team. On offense, he won't have a great PG but he'd have a great passer in LeBron drawing attention. What's more, he could play the 4 next to Z at the 5.

No-brainer for the Cavs.

stretch
12-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Seems like kind of a lateral move to me. Marion is seriously overrated. You won't see 18 and 10 from him anywhere but in D'Antoni's system.

You're right. He averaged 17/10, 19/10, and 21/9 without D'Antoni.

His offensive skills are definitely overrated, but he is without question a solid defender, good rebounder, and is great as a glue guy. His offense feeds off of other players though, which is why he would fit well with Lebron and the Cavs. His ability to defend elite players will give Lebron more energy to expend on offense late in games.

1Parker1
12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Marion's a nice player, but he has that nasty habit of disappearing when it matters.

He'd be on a team with Lebron James, he doesn't need to be clutch when it matters....

N4th4n
12-16-2008, 10:24 AM

Wrooooong. Check your stats and know your history before you talk. D'Antoni came in 04-05.

Shawn Marion:

03-04 19 ppg 9.3 rpg
02-03 21.2 ppg 9.5 rpg
01-02 19.1 ppg 9.9 rpg
00-01 17.3 ppg 10.7 rpg.

Nice try though.

Looks like some one beat me to it.

stretch
12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Wrooooong. Check your stats and know your history before you talk. D'Antoni came in 04-05.

Shawn Marion:

03-04 19 ppg 9.3 rpg
02-03 21.2 ppg 9.5 rpg
01-02 19.1 ppg 9.9 rpg
00-01 17.3 ppg 10.7 rpg.

Nice try though.

Yes, I beat you to it. I also beat you to the fact that D'Antoni actually came as an assistant I believe in 2001, and he took over part way into the 2003-2004 season.

galvatron3000
12-16-2008, 10:28 AM

It's not that he's overrated he just has to have someone else create offense for him, he's not taking anyone off the dribble nor does he move without the ball as well as RIP if at all. He does a great job of rebounding and playing defense but unless he's on a team that has double team commanding superstar or an offense that encourages lots of shots quickly then he's not what his stats suggest. He's good but not that good.

Obstructed_View
12-16-2008, 10:33 AM
The biggest problem with Marion is that he's a malcontent who complains if he doesn't get enough shots.

Findog
12-16-2008, 10:41 AM

Shawn Marion:

03-04 19 ppg 9.3 rpg
02-03 21.2 ppg 9.5 rpg
01-02 19.1 ppg 9.9 rpg
00-01 17.3 ppg 10.7 rpg.

Nice try though.

Is it 2000? He's putting up 13 and 10 this year. Szcerbiak spreads the floor with his shooting and Varejao is a decent defender. Is that worth giving up for Marion's ability to guard wings? Maybe, but I don't think it's a slam dunk

K-State Spur
12-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Lateral move? He'd be the premier perimeter defender for that team. On offense, he won't have a great PG but he'd have a great passer in LeBron drawing attention. What's more, he could play the 4 next to Z at the 5.

No-brainer for the Cavs.

Except he's not a premier defender. His versatility defensively has led to him being very overrated on that side of the ball.

I remember a couple of years ago when the broadcasters were just gushing over his ability to guard Duncan for a stretch, then get switched over to Parker for another stretch. Nevermind that both players were scoring at will on him.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-16-2008, 10:45 AM
It's intriguing. They wouldn't be losing a ton for what they could potentially get back. This isn't like dealing for the rusted out shell of Shaq like the Suns did. The Cavs are looking at 2010 too and must be thinking they need to make a splash now. He's definitely not scoring at the same clip he was in Phoenix, but if LBJ can distribute the ball half as well as Nash did in Phoenix I think they'll be able to keep him involved enough to stay happy while adding perimeter D and rebounding. They'd have a pretty well rounded frontcourt with Z and Wallace.

ehz33satx
12-16-2008, 10:45 AM
wow... that would make them even scarier than they already are.

Yeah! Just like he made Phoenix and Miami powerhouses! Cavs scary! :sleep

If the Cavs played in the Western Conference, their record would not be so gaudy. They would be a middle of the pack team. As it is, they play in the same conference as the Hawks, the Raptors, the Knicks, the Heat, the 76ers, the Bobcats, I could go on and on, the Wizards, the Bucks..........

monosylab1k
12-16-2008, 10:46 AM
The biggest problem with Marion is that he's a malcontent who complains if he doesn't get enough shots.

Yeah, and also remember he went all emo vampire over the fact that he wasn't appreciated enough in Phoenix, despite being the second most popular guy on the team....what's he gonna do when he has to be a bit part in The LeBron Show?

hater
12-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Varejao is a very important piece on the defensive end. Not a great trade if they let Varejao go

Obstructed_View
12-16-2008, 10:50 AM
I also agree that his defense is overrated. He was the most versatile defender on D'Antoni's Suns. He's on a Heat team with a lot of talent around him and the only reason they are in the playoff race is because the Eastern conference is abysmal as usual.

timvp
12-16-2008, 10:51 AM
The Cavs would have to make that trade because it's a no-brainer but it doesn't look like it'd make them any better. Well, at least not against the Spurs. The Spurs own Marion probably more than any player in the league.

pauls931
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Blah, Blah... Seriously, eastern teams better take note, I'd be nervous if I were Boston. Cavs are already pretty good this year and add some more defense and they could be outright scary. Boston take note... (and LA)

pauls931
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
The Cavs would have to make that trade because it's a no-brainer but it doesn't look like it'd make them any better. Well, at least not against the Spurs. The Spurs own Marion probably more than any player in the league.

You need to get past LA first...

resistanze
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Meh, getting rid of Wally is nice, but I don't see Marion making them better.

Keep shopping.

stretch
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
In all honesty, they really don't need to do much shopping, unless they can find some other sort of no-brainer. They are a damn good team already.

Armando
12-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Whle I agree Shawn is no Bruce Bowen he can still defend multiple positions. He would help alot shall the Cavs and Celtics meet again in the playoffs. He can guard anyone from Rondo to KG and take alot off pressure of LeBron in defending Pierce. They can even go small ball if they wanted to. As for Shawn being happy he would be playing with LeBron I am sure he will get some shots.

Armando
12-16-2008, 11:24 AM
And this trade also helps Miami. They get Wally World's expiring contract and more size in Verajao for their small frontcourt.

xtremesteven33
12-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I remember when they put Marion on Parker to slow him down......Parker burned Shawn. haha

Thunder Dan
12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
And this trade also helps Miami. They get Wally World's expiring contract and more size in Verajao for their small frontcourt.

Anderson will need to be resigned after the season- and Wally's contract is smaller than Marion's expiring deal

timvp
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
You need to get past LA first...I was talking about the regular season . . .

Thunder Dan
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
also, the guy that wrote this is the same a-hole who wrote a whole page on why Lebron will be going to Detroit in 2010- so take that into account when he talks about his sources.

pauls931
12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I was talking about the regular season . . .

I thought the regular season didn't matter?

bostonguy
12-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Very interesting situation. This is another player that would help the Cavs out and increase their chances of taking down the Celts.

timvp
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I thought the regular season didn't matter?You must be unaware of the "Best 56 Game Stretch in Sporting History" trophy the Mavs have.

dirk4mvp
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
You must be unaware of the "Best 56 Game Stretch in Sporting History" trophy the Mavs have.

I'd easily trade it in Suns rating dynasty trophies of the last handful of years.

Xylus
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I'd easily trade it in Suns rating dynasty trophies of the last handful of years.

You are not taking that away from me.

IronMexican
12-16-2008, 01:18 PM
He is a bit overrated, but you would be crazy not to do this move.

lefty
12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
What a dumbass move.

Marion will disappear in the playoffs......... again.
Plus, he is a cancer.

Plus,Wally is a good veteran with excellent shooting, and a great attitude to boot.

Plus, Varejao is a great flopper; you can laugh if you want, but he can get big calls in his favor during playoff games

Warlord23
12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Good move... Wally, while a good shooter, can't guard the likes of Pierce or Allen against whom he would have to play if he got significant minutes in the playoffs. Varejao is a high energy guy, and this loss will be more significant for Cleveland. However, there is depth in the Cleveland frontcourt: JJ Hickson is a promising PF with potential, and both Marion and LeBron are excellent rebounders who can spend some minutes at PF.

This helps them against the Celtics (since Boston doesn't have a true low post threat - KG primarily shoots from the high post). But I'm not sure how this helps them against teams with a low post presence like LA or SA, though.

All in all, a lineup of Mo Williams / Delonte West / Lebron / Marion / big Z is a lineup where there are no offensive gaps (like Varejao) or defensive holes (like Wally). It is a smaller lineup, though, but if they rebound well they should improve their offense more than the loss in big man defense.

Armando
12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
What a dumbass move.

Marion will disappear in the playoffs......... again.
Plus, he is a cancer.

Plus,Wally is a good veteran with excellent shooting, and a great attitude to boot.

Plus, Varejao is a great flopper; you can laugh if you want, but he can get big calls in his favor during playoff games

The Cavs have LeBron for clutch situations. Is not like they will go to Marion for a key basket.

lefty
12-16-2008, 01:30 PM
The Cavs have LeBron for clutch situations. Is not like they will go to Marion for a key basket.

True, but I'm not saying that Marion needs to make big shot; he just has to be there in the playoffs; the guy just vanishes in April.

pauls931
12-16-2008, 01:41 PM
True, but I'm not saying that Marion needs to make big shot; he just has to be there in the playoffs; the guy just vanishes in April.

They just need him for D and Marion will feed off Lebron being a distraction just like everyone else there. Marion can continue to live off garbage.

Thunder Dan
12-16-2008, 01:45 PM
it's not a realistic trade- that guy from Yahoo is just nuts

z0sa
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
You need to get past LA first...

you'll never get past the spurs so...

Obstructed_View
12-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Did someone in this thread say that Wally Szczerbiak has a "good attitude"? :wow

diego
12-16-2008, 02:34 PM
its basically expirings for expirings right? and what is the deal with varejao and his contract, is he still moping?

if its expirings for expirings, and the cavs feel varejao is still upset, then it makes sense for them. otherwise, i dont see what either team gains.

lefty
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Did someone in this thread say that Wally Szczerbiak has a "good attitude"? :wow

Well, compared to Marion :D

angelbelow
12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
eh, doesnt seem like it would help the cavs that much.

DrHouse
12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Marion doesn't seem like a piece that would make the Cavs that much better. Varajeao does the same kind of things for them, garbage pts + rebounds.

pauls931
12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
you'll never get past the spurs so...

There you go jinxing yourself and your team.

Allanon
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I remember when they put Marion on Parker to slow him down......Parker burned Shawn. haha

Hahahah.

Seriously though, Marion might have been good before but he's seriously on the decline right now.

Cavs are going to give up Verajao for Marion? That's craziness. I'd keep Sideshow Bob over The Matrix any day.

And remember, the Matrix becomes the 2nd "Superstar" on that team because of his salary.

12 ppg, 9 rebounds, 37 minutes, $17 million, woohoo!

Ghazi
12-16-2008, 03:25 PM
A 20-4 team should not be making a trade of this magnitude.

The Cavs should just seek minor acquisitions.

lefty
12-16-2008, 04:04 PM

:tu

xtremesteven33
12-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Regular season: Marion > Varejao
Playoffs: Marion < Varejao

why fix something thats not broken?

Armando
12-16-2008, 04:38 PM
On second thought the Cavs will be better off asking for Haslem. He is Ben Wallace with offense. Good mid range jumpshot and defender.

Thunder Dan
12-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Like I said, The guy is nuts and only writes these fictitious articles so people read Yahoo for their sports- which their coverage sucks

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/12332673

Shawn Marion to the Cavs? LeBron James no doubt would be thrilled, and Cleveland would be loaded up like never before to make a title run before the clock ticks down to July 1, 2010. But a person directly involved in the situation said Tuesday that Cleveland and Miami "haven't had a trade discussion of any kind in months."

The proposed trade reported by Yahoo! Sports would've sent Anderson Varejao and Wally Szczerbiak to Miami for Marion, whose $17.2 million deal expires after the season. Szczerbiak's $13 million also is expiring, but the Cavs would clear Varejao's $6.2 million player option off the books next summer. It's an intriguing proposal for both teams, although an agent who would be involved in such a transaction had no indication Tuesday that anything was imminent.

The Heat clearly are not smitten with the idea of maxing out Marion, who would instantly make the Cavs a lethal threat to the Celtics' repeat hopes. Cleveland could view it as a rental, or could extend Marion after the season if they believe LBJ would approve. The Cavs already have plenty of cap space in 2010 to re-sign LeBron and a top-tier running mate such as Chris Bosh. But clearing Varejao's contract would make Cleveland a player in free agency next summer, when Carlos Boozer (player option) and Kobe Bryant (early termination) could be free. Miami would be in great cap shape, too, assuming Varejao declines his player option.

The interesting question for the Cavs is whether or not they should gamble when the team is 20-4 and seemingly capable of going toe-to-toe with Boston in the Eastern Conference Finals. Cavs GM Danny Ferry believes the roster is talented enough to contend as-is, but Marion would be a difference maker. And while Varejao does all the little things -- including flopping to draw offensive fouls -- Marion wouldn't be a liability on the defensive end because he's versatile enough to guard the post and perimeter.

lefty
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Like I said, The guy is nuts and only writes these fictitious articles so people read Yahoo for their sports- which their coverage sucks

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/12332673

Shawn Marion to the Cavs? LeBron James no doubt would be thrilled, and Cleveland would be loaded up like never before to make a title run before the clock ticks down to July 1, 2010. But a person directly involved in the situation said Tuesday that Cleveland and Miami "haven't had a trade discussion of any kind in months."

The proposed trade reported by Yahoo! Sports would've sent Anderson Varejao and Wally Szczerbiak to Miami for Marion, whose $17.2 million deal expires after the season. Szczerbiak's $13 million also is expiring, but the Cavs would clear Varejao's $6.2 million player option off the books next summer. It's an intriguing proposal for both teams, although an agent who would be involved in such a transaction had no indication Tuesday that anything was imminent.

The Heat clearly are not smitten with the idea of maxing out Marion, who would instantly make the Cavs a lethal threat to the Celtics' repeat hopes. Cleveland could view it as a rental, or could extend Marion after the season if they believe LBJ would approve. The Cavs already have plenty of cap space in 2010 to re-sign LeBron and a top-tier running mate such as Chris Bosh. But clearing Varejao's contract would make Cleveland a player in free agency next summer, when Carlos Boozer (player option) and Kobe Bryant (early termination) could be free. Miami would be in great cap shape, too, assuming Varejao declines his player option.

The interesting question for the Cavs is whether or not they should gamble when the team is 20-4 and seemingly capable of going toe-to-toe with Boston in the Eastern Conference Finals. Cavs GM Danny Ferry believes the roster is talented enough to contend as-is, but Marion would be a difference maker. And while Varejao does all the little things -- including flopping to draw offensive fouls -- Marion wouldn't be a liability on the defensive end because he's versatile enough to guard the post and perimeter.

Pheeeww.

Now I feel better

Bob Lanier
12-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Every single player in the NBA is versatile enough to guard the post and perimeter.

JoeTait75
12-16-2008, 05:50 PM

+1,000,000

N4th4n
12-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes, I beat you to it. I also beat you to the fact that D'Antoni actually came as an assistant I believe in 2001, and he took over part way into the 2003-2004 season.

Ya because assistant coaches really dictate the style of play. Dont be a moron.

ElNono
12-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Shawn Marion a good defender? Since when?

pauls931
12-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Shawn Marion a good defender? Since when?

He was good enough to defend his and Nash's man most of the time.

ElNono
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
He was good enough to defend his and Nash's man most of the time.

I don't think those Suns every really played defense. They played to outscore the opposition more often than not.

mavsfan1000
12-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Who is playing center for Cleveland? It would be stupid to get rid of Varejao.

KidCongo
12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Marion for Wally and Sasha would be more realistic. Cavs would have no size if Z went down a team under 6 9.

12-17-2008, 12:30 AM
i think marion would be a bad fit for the cavs. for one, he probably won't even start because he plays the same position as lebron. cavs already have a good starting lineup. they have z who can post up, wallace who plays D, outside shooter in west, and slashers in lebron and williams. cavs shouldn't risk that chemistry but should try to solidify their bench. i think the cavs need one more all-star to be true contenders but marion isn't the answer. if they can't get another all-star caliber player then they should focus on their bench, not killing it by trading away varejao. use wally's expiring contract for someone else.

T Park
12-17-2008, 12:35 AM

Agreed.

While it MIGHt help vs the celtics, it would make me wonder effect it would have in the low post without sideshow.

Trading overrated Wally though is a no brainer.

pauls931
12-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think those Suns every really played defense. They played to outscore the opposition more often than not.

but you also have to consider, he had to try to guard Amare's man too. :p: