PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Thunder Dec. 14

timvp
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Some regular season games are better left forgotten. After the first quarter, the San Antonio Spurs held a 39-19 lead over the Oklahoma City Thunder. Over the course of the remaining three periods, the Thunder actually outplayed the Spurs. Thankfully, the good guys were able to pull away late to secure a 109-104 victory.

The winning bucket came courtesy of Manu Ginobili. Following a Kevin Durant layup that cut San Antonio’s lead to two points, Tim Duncan threw a long inbounds pass to Ginobili who got fouled and then connected on an improbable finish at the rim. Following the Ginobili free throw, the Spurs got a stop and the game was over.

As for the Thunder, they looked better than a team that is now 2-23. Durant and Jeff Green are a dynamic duo who complement each other very well. Compared to last year, Durant has much better shot selection and his defense is vastly improved. However, he might be the worst passing perimeter player in the NBA, which is part of the reason why all the role players on the Thunder are having horrible seasons. Green’s overall game is much stronger compared to his rookie season and he now looks like a legit starter.

The sixth straight wins for the Spurs is noteworthy – even though this latest game wasn’t very impressive. They had a letdown after gaining a big lead and almost lost a home game to a horrible squad. For much of the final three quarters the offense was stagnant and the defense was atrocious. Thankfully the Spurs got the win so they can just burn the game film and move on.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
36 minutes, 20 points, 12 rebounds, five assists
6-for-12 from the field, 8-for-10 at the line

Tim Duncan had a relatively poor game. Defensively, his help defense was missing in action for the first 47 minutes of the game. He came up with a key block late in the game, but that was after getting scored on about a dozen times due to either late or halfhearted rotations. On offense, he was passive for a few stretches but did a good job late in the game of upping his aggression. The best part of his night was his passing, especially from the high block.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
30 minutes, 14 points, six assists, five rebounds
5-for-10 from the field, 0-for-4 on three-pointers

Manu Ginobili wasn’t spectacular but he had a solid outing. Defensively, it was a forgettable performance. Offensively, he did a much better job of being patient and not forcing the issue. He even played well with George Hill – which isn’t something we’ve seen all season. Although his three-point shot wasn’t falling, he was able to hit 5-of-6 two-pointers. On the season, he’s now hitting 57.8% of his two-pointers – by far the highest mark of his career.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
37 minutes, 22 points, seven assists
9-for-18 from the field, 4-for-4 at the line

Tony Parker was the poster child for what ailed the Spurs on Sunday night. He was really good to start the game and end the game but wasn’t too helpful in the middle of the contest. Defensively he had his moments, especially when defending Russell Westbrook. His passing was sharp for much of the night, finishing with seven assists and two turnovers. Over his last five games, Parker is averaging 7.4 assists and 1.4 turnovers – giving him a pristine assist to turnover of better than 5-to-1.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
31 minutes, seven points, four rebounds, four assists
3-for-8 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers

Michael Finley had a decent enough outing. His shot selection was good and he also passed the ball well and helped out on the boards. Defensively he didn’t have much hope when matched up against either Durant or Green, but that was a common theme for all the Spurs on this night. Finley is really beginning to lay his claim to the starting small forward position. In his ten games starting at the position, he’s averaging 12.4 points per game on 47.6% shooting from the field.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
34 minutes, 17 points, eight rebounds, two steals
5-for-8 from the field, 3-for-5 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner continues to impress offensively. His 5-for-8 shooting from the field included 3-of-5 from three-point range. He’s averaging 13 points and 7 rebounds in 27.8 minutes over the last five games, shooing 65.9% from the field and 58.8% from beyond the three-point arc. On the other end of the court against the Thunder, Bonner wasn’t nearly as effective. He had a hard time staying in front of Green and got obliterated by Durant in their one-on-one matchups. To Bonner’s credit, he got a little bit better as the game went along. On the season, one interesting aspect to Bonner’s season is he simply doesn’t get to the line anymore. In 438 minutes, he’s gone to the line five times. Last season, he got to the line 44 times in 853 minutes. That means he went to the line four and a half times more often last season.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
28 minutes, 14 points, two assists
5-for-8 from the field, 4-for-7 on three-pointers

Roger Mason, Jr. broke out of his shooting slump with 14 points in the first half. Amazingly enough, he played the entire third quarter without even getting off a shot. In the fourth quarter, he shot only once in the two minutes he was on the court. The reason for his drop in production from one half to the next was a result of the offense. The ball movement was good in the first half, specifically in the first quarter. But then the ball movement ceased to exist in the rest of the game. Defensively, Mason was decent but he struggled a bit in transition. Overall, the 14 points marked Mason’s highest output since the Spurs have returned to full strength.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
17 minutes, one rebound, one block

Bruce Bowen was called upon to try to slow down Durant but he wasn’t able to do much. By the time Bowen was put on him, Durant was scoring the ball extremely well. It also didn’t help that there was no help defense behind Bowen. Offensively, Bowen didn’t shoot the ball for the second consecutive game. In the last three games (a total of 51 minutes), Bowen has only one field goal attempt. On the season, his rate of field goals attempted has dropped by about 35% since last season – and last season he set his career-low for field goal attempted per minute.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
14 minutes, six points, three rebounds
2-for-4 from the field, 2-for-2 at the line

Kurt Thomas actually played well against the Thunder. His only blemishes were when he was caught on the perimeter trying to defend Green, which ended as badly as one would imagine. Defensively, he banged well down low and also rebounded well. On the offense end, he was aggressive and once again converted on his free throws. The career 76.4% free throw shooter is 14-for-16 at the charity stripe this season.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
13 minutes, nine points, two rebounds, two assists
4-for-8 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Although George Hill only played 13 minutes, he was productive in his time on the court. On offense he continues to move without the ball very well to create easy opportunities for himself. He also connected on a three-pointer for the fifth time in his last six games. Hill’s defense was a bit reckless but it was effective in slowing down the stampeding Thunder. Overall, Hill seems to be carving out a niche that could see him average about eight points, three rebounds and three assists in 18 minutes per game. It’s not the gaudy stats he was putting up earlier when his role was bigger but if he can keep it up, he’ll continue being a very important part of this team.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Pop didn’t have much of an impact on this game. He basically had to just hope that the team could re-energize itself before the Thunder were able to come all the way back. Even though it was a close call, it worked out well enough at the end. I liked that he gave Bonner extended minutes, although I would have liked to see Mason and Hill play a few more minutes. Bowen on Durant or Green earlier in the game probably would have kept one of the two from going off.

Offense
The offense bogged down in the second and third quarters but clicked well in the first and fourth quarters. All told, the resulting stats say it was a good offensive showing. The Spurs shot 51.2% from the field, connected on 9-of-23 three-pointers and got to the line 25 times. They also had 28 assists compared to only ten turnovers. The Spurs now have 666 points during their six-game winning streak – for an average of 111 points per game.

Defense
The defense started off decently enough but was extremely poor in the final three quarters. After scoring 19 points in the first, the Thunder exploded for 85 points over the remaining periods. On the game, Oklahoma City shot 51.8% from the field and had only ten turnovers. The only bright spots defensively were the three-point defense (6-for-17) and the fact that the Thunder only got to the line 12 times. Rebounding-wise, the Spurs were only able to match the Thunder’s 37 rebounds.

Drive to Five

On Wednesday, the Spurs will have a major challenge when they travel to New Orleans to face the Hornets. It’ll be the first regular season contest between the two teams since the Game 7 showdown last season. Before San Antonio’s victory in Game 7 at New Orleans, the previous five trips into that city last season resulted in five losses by an average of 21.2 points per game. Hopefully the Spurs can make it two in a row in New Orleans.

Believe.

xtremesteven33
12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Bonner is becoming legit.

Hes not legit until you perform in the playoffs.

sonic21
12-16-2008, 11:47 AM
:tu thanks, nice read

gingerwave
12-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Great post, thx

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Nice! :tu

I'll be interested to see how we do against N.O. This was one of those sleepwalk sort of games, IMO. Our interior and post help defense is almost zero if Tim is not on his game. Hopefully that's a hole that can be fixed before the season is over.

romain.star
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
thanx
good reading... as always

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Spot on stuff, especially regarding the D. This one was the definition of a "bad win".

YODA
12-16-2008, 02:57 PM
As Almost always, takes the words out of my mouth. I would like to talk a little about what you mentioned in help D.

Timmy and Bonner help D were far from where it should be. Kinda expect it from Bonner, but he tries, but timmy was a little late or lazy on the help D.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the help D is what makes this team good. The wing players are taught to funnel their men into the big men and know they will be there for help D. The problem is, to many times, the help D isnt there. I worry the wings will lose faith in the help D, but I think Pop will take care of that.

Heres hoping for better help D in the future.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-16-2008, 07:05 PM
If Durant can learn to pass, he can be one of the elite in this league. His scoring ability is incredible, and his rebounding and weakside shotblocking are exceptional for a 2. Oh, and Jeff Green is a mean machine.

With the right coach, OKC could be decent in a couple of years if they can develop Westbrook and Petro and learn to defend as a team.

As for us - we won, barely, but it is enough. Move on. :lol

bdictjames
12-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Credit to Parker for his defense against Westbrook.

I still cant believe the Spurs missed 3 of 4 freethrows that could potentially have sealed the game.

raspsa
12-16-2008, 09:06 PM
If Durant can learn to pass, he can be one of the elite in this league. His scoring ability is incredible, and his rebounding and weakside shotblocking are exceptional for a 2. Oh, and Jeff Green is a mean machine.

With the right coach, OKC could be decent in a couple of years if they can develop Westbrook and Petro and learn to defend as a team.

As for us - we won, barely, but it is enough. Move on. :lol

I wonder how many people in Portland would swap Oden for Durant at this point in their careers?

Manu-of-steel
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
bonner is not shooting that much freethrows coz he's shooting mostly 3's to open up the middle for tim. and he's shooting the ball really well.

fyatuk
12-17-2008, 12:33 AM
The Spurs now have 666 points during their six-game winning streak – for an average of 111 points per game.

Like people didn't think the Spurs were evil already.

Darkwaters
12-17-2008, 12:36 AM
George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
13 minutes, six points, two rebounds, two assists
4-for-8 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Although George Hill only played 13 minutes, he was productive in his time on the court. On offense he continues to move without the ball very well to create easy opportunities for himself. He also connected on a three-pointer for the fifth time in his last six games. Hill’s defense was a bit reckless but it was effective in slowing down the stampeding Thunder. Overall, Hill seems to be carving out a niche that could see him average about eight points, three rebounds and three assists in 18 minutes per game. It’s not the gaudy stats he was putting up earlier when his role was bigger but if he can keep it up, he’ll continue being a very important part of this team.

You got Hill's numbers wrong. He had 9 pts and was 4-8 FG, 1-2 three point.

timvp
12-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I'll be interested to see how we do against N.O. Yeah, there are going to be a lot of interesting matchups. Plus it'd be nice to see the Spurs not blown out in a game against the Hornets. Five of six were blowouts in New Orleans last year.

Bonner versus West will be interesting. Perhaps Bonner can do a better job than anyone else did last season. Hill on CP3 should be fun to watch. For the Hornets, it'll be interesting to see if Posey can have success against Manu since no one on their team last year was a good match for Manu.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the help D is what makes this team good. The wing players are taught to funnel their men into the big men and know they will be there for help D. The problem is, to many times, the help D isnt there. I worry the wings will lose faith in the help D, but I think Pop will take care of that.Against the Thunder, most of the help defense problem can be blamed on Duncan. Bonner was out on the perimeter so it was up to Duncan to close off the lane. He didn't do much of that all night.

But since the Spurs started playing defense again, their help defense has been pretty good. Bonner isn't a good help defender at the rim but he's good at picking up players outside of the lane and redirecting them.

If Durant can learn to pass, he can be one of the elite in this league.Agreed. But right now, he's an amazingly horrible passer. He averages less assists per minute than Michael Finley ... and Finley probably gets about 1/10th of the amount of touches.

Considering Durant is such a bad passer, I'm surprised the Spurs didn't double more often. When they did, Durant rarely found the open player.

I wonder how many people in Portland would swap Oden for Durant at this point in their careers?Probably not that many. For as good as Durant is, it's not exactly translating to wins. Right now, he's a player who makes those around him worse instead of better. That will probably change but that ability doesn't always come around.

Oden isn't looking especially good but you always take the potentially dominant bigman prospect over the mostly one-dimensional perimeter scorer.

bonner is not shooting that much freethrows coz he's shooting mostly 3's to open up the middle for tim. and he's shooting the ball really well.Bonner is actually shooting less threes than he did last season. Last season about 46% of his shots were threes. This season about 44% of his shots are threes.

Looking into it even further, about 22% of his shots this year are around the basket. Last season, that number was only about 16%.

It's hard to have too much of a problem with how Bonner is playing but you'd definitely want your starting center to go to the line more than .5 times per 48 minutes. That's the lowest rate on the team -- even lower than Bruce Bowen (.6) and three times lower than anyone else on the team (Michael Finley at 1.5).

In his first year with the Spurs, Bonner went to the free throw line 2.8 times per 48 minutes. Last year, it was 2.5 times per 48 minutes. To drop down to .5 times per 48 minutes is a pretty stunning drop.

You got Hill's numbers wrong. He had 9 pts and was 4-8 FG, 1-2 three point.

Thanks. Fixed.

timvp
12-17-2008, 01:06 AM
I just checked and the players getting the line the least per 48 minutes in the NBA are:

1. Matt Bonner .5
2. Bruce Bowen .6
3. Dee Brown .6
4. Jason Kapono .7
5. Ricky Davis .7
6. Nicolas Batum 1

P.S.

No one in NBA history who has averaged more than five points per game in a season has gone to the line at a lower rate than Bonner's current mark :wow

T Park
12-17-2008, 01:15 AM
I think Bonner while he doesn't drive, is also at times the victim of some hacks.

I know he was on sunday, I sat pretty close and on a couple pump fake and drives Durant or Green were clearly holding his arms on the drives and Pop let the refs know it.

That being said, its a tough thing to take wanting Matt Bonner to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hole.

I think hes doing just fine what hes doing now, don't change a thing with Bonner.

Darkwaters
12-17-2008, 07:49 AM
I think Bonner while he doesn't drive, is also at times the victim of some hacks.

I know he was on sunday, I sat pretty close and on a couple pump fake and drives Durant or Green were clearly holding his arms on the drives and Pop let the refs know it.

That being said, its a tough thing to take wanting Matt Bonner to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hole.

I think hes doing just fine what hes doing now, don't change a thing with Bonner.

Agreed. Whatever hes doing now is working. Just keep doing what you're doing.

polandprzem
12-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Unfortunately The Hornets will be in 2nd b2b game ...

So we won't get the full force Hornet team.

T Park
12-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Hornets are young so it won't matter.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
No one in NBA history who has averaged more than five points per game in a season has gone to the line at a lower rate than Bonner's current mark :wow

Matt Bonner believes getting anything free is for the weak.

Indazone
12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Good win by the Spurs but I do have this one thing to day.

Man do the OKC Thunder suck! They suck so bad that even a black hole couldn't suck any harder. I wonder if they will even win 10 games this year. Their record so far.

2 wins 24 losses.