PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch or Acer Aspire One

usckk
12-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey guys,

As you all know, it is close to Christmas time. So far, I have a dilemma on which gift I want--either the iPod Touch or Acer Aspire One.

Here's the problem:
1) I already own a iPod video. Do you of you all also own multiple iPods?
2) My battery for my current laptop doesn't charge very well anymore, and it costs around $100 just to get a new one. So, I decided that if I was going to get a new battery, I might as well get a new computer, specifically a netbook for easier mobility for school.

Which one do you guys think I should get? Or none of the above, like a different brand of netbooks.

Dex
12-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I think it really depends more on what you need out of the device.

The iPod Touch is obviously more portable than the Acer and much more versatile than the iPod Video. Not only is it a better music and video player, but you can also use it to organize your Contacts, AddressBook, and Calenders. WiFi allows you to browse the web on a very competent web browser, use the Maps application for maps and directions, or talk to people on AIM or Yahoo. Plus the wide variety of apps now being developed offers a variety of games and other things to keep your interest.

That being said, the iPod Touch is NOT a computer. The web browser can't yet handle Flash or a lot of other plugins. The PDA applications are great for the average user, but not as robust as some other smartphones out there. The Acer will probably be better for you if you are looking to do some actual computing, but obviously you can't just keep it in your pocket at all times. Keep in mind that the Acer will also be a limited device as well; the processor and RAM capabilities probably won't be very high and it lacks an optical drive, meaning all software and music will probably have to be loaded by ethernet.

I have both an HP laptop and an iPod Touch, and my HP hardly leaves the bag, whereas I take my Touch everywhere. That may be different for your needs, but that's my 2 cents.

PM5K
12-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Interesting question, two totally different devices.

How many GB is your current iPod and what size Touch are you considering?

I have an iPhone and an Aspire One...

usckk
12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Interesting question, two totally different devices.

How many GB is your current iPod and what size Touch are you considering?

I have an iPhone and an Aspire One...

My iPod video has 30 GBs. And if I got a touch, I would probably get the 16 GB version.

How do you like the Aspire One? Did you consider getting the others like the ASUS Eee PC, Samsung NC10, or MSI Wind?

PM5K
12-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Well it's my sons, I don't use it personally but I have used it and I did pick it out.

I did consider getting others, and I've even owned an EEE PC and a Dell MINI 9, but in the end decided on the Aspire One.

I'm not sure which I'd get if I were you, but it can't be that hard to decide considering they are totally different devices.

usckk
12-17-2008, 02:44 PM
The thing is...I really want the iPod Touch, just because...well...because it's a touch-screen mp3 player! I currently have a touchscreen phone (At&t tilt), and I love it. But then I realized that all the modifications I do on it are programs that try to imitate the iPod touch/iPhone software. The Tilt is good, but the touchscreen isn't nearly as great as the ones made by Apple. And so, if I like the Apple software so much, then why not just get a device with it?

However, the other side of me wants to be practical. First, I already have an iPod. Secondly, a mini laptop would be useful for me, as I am a college student. For the past 2 years, I have been lugging my heavy Dell Inspiron, with an even heavier computer case/bag, to do my homework. I live 10 minutes away from the library, where I do my homework, so it's often a handful to lug around. It would be a lot easier if I can put the laptop in my backpack with all my books.

PM5K
12-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Why haven't you considered getting an iPhone instead of a Touch?

usckk
12-17-2008, 03:32 PM
My Tilt phone is less than a year old. It's still a good phone and has its advantages over the iPhone. Furthermore, I can still use the Touch when my contract ends with At&t, which is in another year and a half I think.

In other words, I want to use the Tilt for work purposes and the Touch for entertainment purposes.

MannyIsGod
12-17-2008, 04:01 PM
I thought about the touch until I saw the HD sizes. 30 gigs doesn't cut it for me.

usckk
12-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I thought about the touch until I saw the HD sizes. 30 gigs doesn't cut it for me.

True. You can get huge HD sizes for lesser prices than the 32 gig Touch. But I only use up like 4 of my 30 GB on my iPod video.

PM5K
12-17-2008, 04:40 PM
True. You can get huge HD sizes for lesser prices than the 32 gig Touch. But I only use up like 4 of my 30 GB on my iPod video.

Sell your 30GB and use the money to buy a used 8GB iPod Touch on Craigslist, also buy an Aspire One off Craigslist...

Someone was just selling one the other day for 270.00

DannyT
12-17-2008, 05:14 PM
get an iphone and buy the laptop

PM5K
12-17-2008, 06:02 PM
get an iphone and buy the laptop

That's what I'd do but I'm not sure he's got the money, he could if he sold his current phone and iPod but I'm not sure he wants to do that...

Heath Ledger
12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Sell your other ipod and get them both.

emo serb
12-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I would stay away from Acer computers after my gf's experience with her Acer laptop. It feels like its very cheaply made and its just falling apart from normal use. She's had to send it in twice now and they make u pay for shipping there. Although, hers is not the Acer Aspire One so I cannot say for how that one is. If I were you I'd go for a laptop similar to that made by Dell. Better customer service imo. Only downside is it costs a little more, so i guess its a toss up.

usckk
12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
That's what I'd do but I'm not sure he's got the money, he could if he sold his current phone and iPod but I'm not sure he wants to do that...

True. I am asking for either one of the two as a Christmas gift from my parents. I'm sure they wouldn't get both for me. LOL. Just being realistic.

Furthermore, I'm not a person that sell back thing. I just don't like selling thing back at a lesser price than what I paid for. I feel like I can gain more by just keeping whatever I have.

PM5K
12-17-2008, 06:50 PM
True. I am asking for either one of the two as a Christmas gift from my parents. I'm sure they wouldn't get both for me. LOL. Just being realistic.

Furthermore, I'm not a person that sell back thing. I just don't like selling thing back at a lesser price than what I paid for. I feel like I can gain more by just keeping whatever I have.

To each his own, we can't decide for you.

I upgrade things all the time, if I get something better it doesn't bother me that maybe I took a loss on the original item, but I often get good deals both ways.

All I can say that you can't go wrong either way, I just don't like the Touch because for a little more you could have a iPhone and not have to carry around two different electronics.

The Aspire One is a very well made Netbook, I'd try to get the 160GB 6 Cell version, it only runs about 30.00 more than the 120GB 3 Cell version.

DannyT
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Only downside is it costs a little more, so i guess its a toss up.

either you pay for it now or you pay for it later....

usckk
12-17-2008, 07:43 PM
I would stay away from Acer computers after my gf's experience with her Acer laptop. It feels like its very cheaply made and its just falling apart from normal use. She's had to send it in twice now and they make u pay for shipping there. Although, hers is not the Acer Aspire One so I cannot say for how that one is. If I were you I'd go for a laptop similar to that made by Dell. Better customer service imo. Only downside is it costs a little more, so i guess its a toss up.

The mini laptop made by Dell is behind the ones like the Aspire One, I believe. It only has solid state memories instead of hard drives, meaning the ones built by Dell only has like 8 GB of space compared to 160 GB of the Aspire One.

Heath Ledger
12-17-2008, 07:56 PM
On a side note my acer laptop hard drive failed one week out of warranty

DannyT
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
timed to perfection....sounds like acer got their moneys worth

PM5K
12-17-2008, 09:04 PM
The mini laptop made by Dell is behind the ones like the Aspire One, I believe. It only has solid state memories instead of hard drives, meaning the ones built by Dell only has like 8 GB of space compared to 160 GB of the Aspire One.

That's why I dumped the Dell, I wanted to run OS X and be able to put images of DVD movies on the hard drive and a 16GB SSD just wasn't enough, and the larger SSD, especially the ones with good performance can get quite expensive.

The build quality of the Dell was considerably better than the ASUS, but very similar to the ACER...

MannyIsGod
12-17-2008, 09:04 PM

Wow thats nothing. I got an 80 gig Ipod classic for free and I have about 40gigs filled now but I have a ton of stuff to add.

emo serb
12-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I was kinda surprised to see that the Acer had that big of a hard drive. If you do get one let me know how it holds up. I'm considering buying a smaller more portable laptop in the summer so I can bring it to class. But for now I'm leaning towards the Dell one because of their customer service and and I like Dell's lol.

PM5K
12-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I was kinda surprised to see that the Acer had that big of a hard drive. If you do get one let me know how it holds up. I'm considering buying a smaller more portable laptop in the summer so I can bring it to class. But for now I'm leaning towards the Dell one because of their customer service and and I like Dell's lol.

I like Dell as much as the next guy, these are the Dell systems I've owned so far:

Inspiron 9100
Inspiron 600M
Latitude D600
Latitude D820
Inspiron E1505 X 2 (Currently)
Dell MINI 9

(There may be others I've forgoten)

The thing with netbooks is that there really is only one that's just right for you, and for me the Dell wasn't it.

The Aspire One is very well built, it actually belongs to my ten year old, and while he does take good care of it, it will still stand up to some abuse, accidental or otherwise.

usckk
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM

I ended up getting a min-laptop for Christmas. However, I did not get the Acer Aspire One. Instead, I got the ASUS EEE PC 1000HA. The reason I got that one was because of its great price (I got it for around $300). Going in, I knew that the technology and prices for the mini-laptops for the next few months will change drastically. Thus, I did not want to buy the best (most expensive) one out there at the time to only see it become out-dated within just a few weeks. Thus, I decided to get the cheapest one I could fine. Right now, each brand has its pros and cons, and none of them havve a strong advantage over the other.

I have been using it for two weeks, and it has been great! The 10-inch screen is big enough where it does not feel like a gimick computer but is still some enough to be ultra portable. I've been carrying around my computer in my backpack to all my classes with now problem. In the past, I had to put my 15 in wide screen computer in a case that was heavy as well. It made carrying a laptop a pain, and I eventually took it to class ONLY when I had to give a presentation and such. With the mini-laptop now, it has been a completely different story. I just drop the EEE PC like another book with no problems!

CharlieMac
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
I found my DJ Ditty the other day. That thing was alright.

ManuTP9
01-17-2009, 11:20 PM
get the ipod touch i have one and it is more fun when you jailbreak it (aka) Hack it, and once you do that you can put amazing apps that people made for the ipod touh on it.