PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers and their "unbelievable" season

concken
12-17-2008, 01:00 PM
The Lakers are a joke...seriously.

First off, let me explain that they play zero defense (allowing 98 ppg) and have lost their three games to unexpected teams (i.e. the Pacers). Defense became a problem again in the game they played on nbaTV last night, barely beating the New York Knicks 116 to 114.

Now, I know that the Lakers are a three loss team right now, but this is why I think that they will enter the PO and, especially with a healthy spurs team, find some troubles:

Kobe Bryant is not a leader...plain and dry.

Sure, he can take over a game and put up 30 points in the second half if he wants to. How is this enough? What separates Kobe from players like Timmy (yes, KG is one), is that TD gets other involved. TD doesn't put up the flashy numbers that Kobe does, but he allows his team to fight back and win the game together.

Basically, all I wanted to say this morning is this;

Kobe is a superstar, but he will never be an all-time great NBA player.

(Like Tim Duncan haha)

One Love.

lefty
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Unbeavable

lefty
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Gasol has been the best Laker so far.

Kobe is just jacking up shots

Beavable

BlackSwordsMan
12-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Believe.

FlAVaK
12-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Beave.

Oh, and it was the New York last night...

jag
12-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Kobe is a superstar, but he will never be an all-time great NBA player.

1999 forum

Btw...you are what your record says you are, and the Lakers have joked their way to being the second best team in the NBA right now.

hater
12-17-2008, 01:10 PM
you are what your record says you are,

the 2006 Dallas Mavericks say Hello

sonic21
12-17-2008, 01:14 PM

you mean 2007

td4mvp21
12-17-2008, 01:15 PM
I think they are pretty good. If they play like they have been playing lately against the good teams they will lose for sure but I'm sure they will step it up when they actually face a good team and not a crappy one.

concken
12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
you mean 2007

'06 and '07

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-17-2008, 01:20 PM
The Lakers appear to be pretty darn good to me.

jag
12-17-2008, 01:21 PM

The 2007 Mavs were the best team in the regular season. This is the regular season...and the Lakers are the second best team right now.

And Dirk is a clown...there's no comparing him to Kobe(3 rings).

xtremesteven33
12-17-2008, 01:22 PM
-Kobe IS an all time great
-Lakers defense sucks
-Kobe is a great team player`
-Kobe is a bad team leader
-Tim Duncan > Kobe Bryant

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Kobe has gotten better at getting his teammates involved and has become a leader, too bad he waited till he no longer has the huge athleticism advantage over everyone he faces. He also is incomparable to MJ because MJ could post up virtually every 2-guard who tried to guard him, while Kobe can't post up to save his life (trying to back someone down and then shooting a baseline fade away over him is not a post up).

I also find it funny that the idiot Laker fans who know nothing about basketballchant M-V-P for Kobe at the end of games where Kobe shoots like 35% given the fact Gasol has been by far their best player this year. At first I thought they were they would lose to either SA or Boston, but that might still be giving too much credit it seems like any team with speed at point guard and height at the wing has a shot against them. No need to list examples because there are a lot.

sonic21
12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
they're good, but we'll see how they play against the top team (boston, cleveland, san antonio), we'll have a better idea.

SenorSpur
12-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Fakers are again very good. However, they are very suspect defensively. If the Spurs remain healthy, I expect them to put the Fakers away. If they don't, the Celtics, sure as shit, will - again.

Allanon
12-17-2008, 01:35 PM
The Lakers are a real suck ass team.

Kobe's lost a step, or three
Kobe's selfish
Lamar Odom lost his starting job
Andrew Bynum is a bust

They'll lose when they play good teams like the Spurs, the Jazz, the Celtics and the Cavs.

concken
12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
2008-2009 season...
James: 33ppg
Bryant: 23ppg

Maybe he HAS lost a step or three.

xtremesteven33
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
2008-2009 season...
James: 33ppg
Bryant: 23ppg

Maybe he HAS lost a step or three.

Kobe HAS a good player or three

MaNuMaNiAc
12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
The Lakers are fucking scary right now, and Kobe hasn't lost shit. We better be firing on all cylinders come Playoff time if we want to make it to the finals.

z0sa
12-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Spurs will beat the Lakers this playoffs, health permitting. It's going to be a series for the ages but the Spurs will pull through it (like always) and will face Boston in the Finals. That will be our biggest Finals test ever.

Let me just rephrase: I am far more afraid of Boston than LA, it's not even close. Just take a look what happened to LA once a fair matchup (without scheduling help and injury problems) faced them. They were beaten 2-0 thru 2, 3-1 thru 4 and 4-2 through 6 - Boston dominated that series, it wasn't even close.

A healthy spurs team will be more than LA's D can handle, but not vice versa. Our team D will be just enough to force Kobe in ballhog mode, since Pau is one of those players that is all-star talent but not a leader or a big game finisher. We owned him bad in 04 and during the regular seasons since then.

scanry
12-17-2008, 02:02 PM
The Lakers are a real suck ass team.

Kobe's lost a step, or three
Kobe's selfish
Lamar Odom lost his starting job
Andrew Bynum is a bust

They'll lose when they play good teams like the Spurs, the Jazz, the Celtics and the Cavs.

My observations on the lakers:

I don't think Kobe is selfish. He still hasn't figured out when to be selfish and when not to be.

Bynum isn't a bust, but the pre-season hype that he gathered doesn't justify his value. He's an average center (on some days, he's above average).

Gasol is what moves this team forward, and they sure aren't elite without him.

Fisher (also insert Farmer) is getting schooled by every point guard in the nba.

Sasha is still a bitch and he's soon going to be out of the Laker's rotation.

Phil Jackson isn't doing that good a job this year and quite frankly the players no longer respect him. BTW if Bynum had a jab at Popovich like he did with Phil, Pop will go all medieval on his ass.

Radmanovich is playing like crap and with very little confidence at the moment.

In summary, the Lakers just don't have character. It's like they are expecting the opposing team to lose.

However every team would love to have the above problems with a 21-3 record. BTW they are going to get better, but at this rate they don't stand a chance against the Celtics.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:02 PM
And because work is really boring here are some examples of speedy PG's and tall athletic wings who have torched LA this year:

Speed at point guard:

Iverson-25 points (12 free throws so great job keeping him out of the paint LA)
Derrick Rose-25 points
Nate Robinson- 33 points(12 free throws so just like A.I. had no problem getting inside)
Chris Paul- 30 points
TJ Ford- 21 points
Devin Harris-21 points (13 free throws)

The Suns have the same problem against these type of PG's, so I know how much it can hurt a team playing Tony Parker in a playoff series.

Height at the wing:

John Salmons- 24, 21, 26 points
Danny Granger- 32 points
Grant Hill-23 points
Caron Butler-26 points
Thaddeus Young- 20 points
Al Thorton-22 points

So when people say LA can beat Boston this year that's pretty laughable considering Pierce and Rondo are both a complete mismatch to their entire team.

DrHouse
12-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Funny stuff.

The Lakers are nowhere near their potential right now. And they're 21-3 (best start in Laker franchise history).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
The 2007 Mavs were the best team in the regular season. This is the regular season...and the Lakers are the second best team right now.

And Dirk is a clown...there's no comparing him to Kobe(3 rings).

I'm sure if Dirk had a HOF center who could average close to 40 points in the finals he would have 3 rings by now. They both have the same resume as the best player on their team: one finals appearance, one MVP they didn't deserve, not a whole lot else.

z0sa
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
And because work is really boring here are some examples of speedy PG's and tall athletic wings who have torched LA this year:

Speed at point guard:

Iverson-25 points (12 free throws so great job keeping him out of the paint LA)
Derrick Rose-25 points
Nate Robinson- 33 points(12 free throws so just like A.I. had no problem getting inside)
Chris Paul- 30 points
TJ Ford- 21 points
Devin Harris-21 points (13 free throws)

The Suns have the same problem against these type of PG's, so I know how much it can hurt a team playing Tony Parker in a playoff series.

Height at the wing:

John Salmons- 24, 21, 26 points
Danny Granger- 32 points
Grant Hill-23 points
Caron Butler-26 points
Thaddeus Young- 20 points
Al Thorton-22 points

So when people say LA can beat Boston this year that's pretty laughable considering Pierce and Rondo are both a complete mismatch to their entire team.

The 4headed monster of Parker/Hill/Manu/Mason is going to rear its beautiful head come January and other times we play LAL, and it's going to be great.

Oh yeah, and Tim Duncan STILL hasn't gone anywhere. He'll be dominating LA's ass just like always, only this time when they triple, there'll be plenty of offense to go around.

Cue Spurs D, and I think we've got something every Lakerfan is happily ignoring - for now.

Phil Jackson isn't doing that good a job this year and quite frankly the players no longer respect him. BTW if Bynum had a jab at Popovich like he did with Phil, Pop will go all medieval on his ass.

I just wanted to throw in a +1.

I'm sure if Dirk had a HOF center who could average close to 40 points in the finals he would have 3 rings by now. They both have the same resume as the best player on their team: one finals appearance, one MVP they didn't deserve, not a whole lot else.

I agree here as well. Kobe's BB Iq isn't like a Tim's. He can never understand when to dominate and when to defer. Example: 2008 Finals

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:10 PM

I think the proper comparison is 2005 Suns, we started 24-3 that season with an explosive offense and soft defense.

Medvedenko
12-17-2008, 02:10 PM
21-3
/thread

You guys make me smile.......

z0sa
12-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Funny stuff.

The Lakers are nowhere near their potential right now. And they're 21-3 (best start in Laker franchise history).

Is this also the easiest early schedule in franchise history? More gifts from the League, enjoy em :td

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Easy schedules to start the season are not gifts from the league, it makes it extremely hard to evaluate the team at the trade deadline. If LA was smart they'd swoop in and trade Marion for Odom before Cleveland gets Marion.

td4mvp21
12-17-2008, 02:24 PM
You guys do realize the Lakers are third in the league in points allowed per 100 possessions, which is ahead of the Spurs by 7 spots (we are 10th). So I'm not sure why everyone is knocking on their defense... Also, they may have had an easy schedule but against the good teams they have looked fine and competitive in what little I have seen of them. They are our biggest threat in the postseason. I wouldn't call them a joke.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
2009 Lakers PPG: 108
2005 Suns PPG: 110

2009 Lakers opposing PPG: 98
2005 Suns PPG: 102

2009 Lakers effective FG% allowed: .478
2005 Suns effective FG% allowed: .478

So aside from the fact LA has been a better defensive rebounding team (73%) than Phoenix (69%) was, the two teams are very similar, and I highly doubt LA maintains that defensive rebounding percentage once they play better teams.

z0sa
12-17-2008, 02:33 PM
You guys do realize the Lakers are third in the league in points allowed per 100 possessions, which is ahead of the Spurs by 7 spots (we are 10th). So I'm not sure why everyone is knocking on their defense... Also, they may have had an easy schedule but against the good teams they have looked fine and competitive in what little I have seen of them. They are our biggest threat in the postseason. I wouldn't call them a joke.

No one calling them a joke, everyone's calling US a joke for thinking we'll be competitive (again). I am coming to my own Spurs defense instead of ^this whole "oh no" type of response which cites no Spurs strongpoints, only Laker ones.

But luckily, the players ain't scared.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:34 PM

Their defense in November was good, now that teams are starting to figure out what their Achilles heel is and attack it their defense has returned to what it really is. And the "good teams" they beat are not teams many consider contenders. The Suns team I keep comparing them to beat middle of the road playoff teams like Denver, Houston, and Dallas with little doubt, and I don't think anyone here is questioning their ability to beat any of those teams.

Allanon
12-17-2008, 02:35 PM
You guys make some great points. They look alot like the Mavs and the Suns. The Lakers have too many flaws and poor defense, nothing for the Spurs to be worried about.

I do think the Lakers will get lucky again and beat the Celtics on Christmas Day.

DrHouse
12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
There really aren't any valid comparisons to be made between this Laker team and the Suns and Mavs of old. More wishful thinking from delusional Spurs fan.

The defense will improve. This year they definitely have the personnel to play solid D and I expect them to once the playoffs roll around. This is a Phil Jackson team, they aren't going to start peaking in December. Spur fan of all people should know this because Pop paces the Spurs in a very similar manner.

z0sa
12-17-2008, 02:37 PM
You guys make some great points. The Lakers have too many flaws and poor defense, nothing to be worried about.

I do think the Lakers will get lucky again and beat the Celtics on Christmas Day.

No one thinks they're gonna be an easy out, dont get butthurt. They're favorites in the West and no one is denying that.

My problem is everyone has given them the 2009 WC championship banner already.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
And oddly enough, Phoenix started 24-3 until they ran into a brick wall known as the Spurs' defense that year, LA will probably start 25-3 before they run into the brick wall known as the Celtics D. The similarities are endless.

td4mvp21
12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
No one calling them a joke, everyone's calling US a joke for thinking we'll be competitive (again). I am coming to my own Spurs defense instead of ^this whole "oh no" type of response which cites no Spurs strongpoints, only Laker ones.

The OP called them a joke.

And haven't you learned by now that everyone always counts us out? We are competitive this season after everybody told us we wouldn't be. And in 2007, all we heard all year from the Suns and Mavs fans is how old our team was and how we weren't going to do anything and how the Mavs/Suns had taken over the reins.

Also, sorry to have to list Lakers strong points but some of the things said in this thread by fellow Spurs fans were so homer and ludicrous there had to be some voice of reason. I'm not saying the Lakers are some great defensive team because I don't think they are but I'm not so sure their defense is a joke.

DrHouse
12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
And oddly enough, Phoenix started 24-3 until they ran into a brick wall known as the Spurs' defense that year, LA will probably start 25-3 before they run into the brick wall known as the Celtics D. The similarities are endless.

Except THE LAKERS BEAT THE SPURS LAST SEASON 4-1 WITHOUT ANDREW BYNUM OR TREVOR ARIZA.

Man, wake the fuck up kid.

IronMexican
12-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Eh, 21-3, I will take it.

2Cleva
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I have to point out the fallacy of the initial stat you use - opponents PPG. That's a reflection more of the tempo you play at, not the level of defense you play. Opponents FG% is a far more accurate barometer.

If you're judging by defenses, you have to take the entire body of work.

In key defensive rankings

- LA is 5th in opponents field goal percentage. Only teams above them are Bos, Cle, Den and Dal. SA is 20th.

- After last night, LA is 11th in opponents 3 percentage. Cle is 8, Bos 3. SA is 15th.

- LA is 2nd in opponents turnovers. Utah is 1st. Bos 3rd, Cle 4th. SA is dead last at 30th.

- Again on the PPG, its about tempo. LA is 1st in scoring offense, outscoring GS and NY. So they are 14th in opponents PPG (Cle and Bos 1-2, SA 6th). However LA is 2nd in differential (Cle 1, Bost 3, SA 9th).

Just some perspective.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:47 PM
There really aren't any valid comparisons to be made between this Laker team and the Suns and Mavs of old. More wishful thinking from delusional Spurs fan.

The defense will improve. This year they definitely have the personnel to play solid D and I expect them to once the playoffs roll around. This is a Phil Jackson team, they aren't going to start peaking in December. Spur fan of all people should know this because Pop paces the Spurs in a very similar manner.

Any team where Radman, Vujacic, and Gasol are considered rotation players doesn't have the personnel to play D. This thing most Phoenix fans and LA fans do where they say, "Just like the Spurs we'll just start playing D when the playoffs role around, you don't want to peak in December," makes no sense. The Spurs have proven they are capable of coasting through the regular season and turning the intensity up once the playoffs role around, LA has shown no indication their defense will magically "improve". Defense just doesn't improve for no reason.

I guess the OKC Thunder should be championship favorites, you don't want to peak in December, their defense will improve. Don't ask me why it will improve, but it will improve.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I have to point out the fallacy of the initial stat you use - opponents PPG. That's a reflection more of the tempo you play at, not the level of defense you play. Opponents FG% is a far more accurate barometer.

If you're judging by defenses, you have to take the entire body of work.

In key defensive rankings

- LA is 5th in opponents field goal percentage. Only teams above them are Bos, Cle, Den and Dal. SA is 20th.

- After last night, LA is 11th in opponents 3 percentage. Cle is 8, Bos 3. SA is 15th.

- LA is 2nd in opponents turnovers. Utah is 1st. Bos 3rd, Cle 4th. SA is dead last at 30th.

- Again on the PPG, its about tempo. LA is 1st in scoring offense, outscoring GS and NY. So they are 14th in opponents PPG (Cle and Bos 1-2, SA 6th). However LA is 2nd in differential (Cle 1, Bost 3, SA 9th).

Just some perspective.

I agree, but that only helps my argument. The 2004-2005 Suns played a lot faster than LA, so opposing points per game would favor the 2009 Lakers over the 2005 Suns. Effective FG% factors in threes and free throws, and they have the same effective FG%. The Spurs are 12th while LA is 8th this year, but the Spurs D has proven an ability to get better over the course of a season, LA's D has gotten worse as this season progresses.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Except THE LAKERS BEAT THE SPURS LAST SEASON 4-1 WITHOUT ANDREW BYNUM OR TREVOR ARIZA.

Man, wake the fuck up kid.

I wasn't talking about the Spurs. The Suns lost to the Spurs, the Lakers lost to the Celtics. YOU are the one who should wake up, I didn't say anything about LA losing to SA in that post.

Allanon
12-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Any team where Radman, Vujacic, and Gasol are considered rotation players doesn't have the personnel to play D. This thing most Phoenix fans and LA fans do where they say, "Just like the Spurs we'll just start playing D when the playoffs role around, you don't want to peak in December," makes no sense. The Spurs have proven they are capable of coasting through the regular season and turning the intensity up once the playoffs role around, LA has shown no indication their defense will magically "improve". Defense just doesn't improve for no reason.

The Fakers do have mental lapses on defense sometimes. The point guard defense is not good at all.

But overall, I think the Fakers are a decent defensive team. They play at the 3rd fastest tempo, so they will allow more PPG. If you adjust for the tempo of the game aka per100, you'll see a pace adjusted ranking.

Defensive Efficiency (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=defeff&seasonType=2&order=false&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3ddefeff%26seasonT ype%3d2%26order%3dfalse%26league%3dnba)

DrHouse
12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
I've never claimed the Lakers will beat the Celtics, in fact I think it's likely they lose to the Celtics.

The Celtic's defense is simply on another level compared with the rest of the league. The only hope is that Lebron manages to take them out because I know we CAN beat the Cavs in a 7 gamer.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 04:37 PM
I've never claimed the Lakers will beat the Celtics, in fact I think it's likely they lose to the Celtics.

The Celtic's defense is simply on another level compared with the rest of the league. The only hope is that Lebron manages to take them out because I know we CAN beat the Cavs in a 7 gamer.

For all I say about LA being overrated I think Cleveland is a lot more overrated, talk about easy schedule. I did hear they are very close to getting Shawn Marion for Wally and Verajao (wrong spelling but he sucks anyway so I don't care), and that might make them better against LA because Marion can guard Kobe well (I know my fellow Suns fans have called Bell the Kobe stopper over the years, but Marion has ALWAYS been a way better defender I don't care what everyone else says), but ultimately the fact they don't have any consistent post offense hurts them.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 04:46 PM
The Fakers do have mental lapses on defense sometimes. The point guard defense is not good at all.

But overall, I think the Fakers are a decent defensive team. They play at the 3rd fastest tempo, so they will allow more PPG. If you adjust for the tempo of the game aka per100, you'll see a pace adjusted ranking.

Defensive Efficiency (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=defeff&seasonType=2&order=false&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3ddefeff%26seasonT ype%3d2%26order%3dfalse%26league%3dnba)

No I agree they do a great job at holding teams to a low percentage, their problem is as you said their PG defense and defensive rebounding. Also their PG defense is bad against PG's that really on speed, Fisher does as good a job as anyone on Steve Nash, Deron Williams and Chauncey Billups, their problem is against the Parkers Pauls and Rondos of the league. Fortunately for them the defensive rebounding won't matter too much against SA because SA is a bottom tier offensive rebounding team because they care more about getting back on, but against Boston it will pose a problem.

Allanon
12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
their problem is as you said their PG defense and defensive rebounding.

You are right on the defensive rebounding, they've been surprisingly poor at this. Pau/Bynum have been lazy on their boxing out and that certainly has to change. And the Lakers as a whole leak out a bit much rather than try to get the rebound.

Also their PG defense is bad against PG's that really on speed, Fisher does as good a job as anyone on Steve Nash, Deron Williams and Chauncey Billups, their problem is against the Parkers Pauls and Rondos of the league. Fortunately for them the defensive rebounding won't matter too much against SA because SA is a bottom tier offensive rebounding team because they care more about getting back on, but against Boston it will pose a problem.

This part is also true except I don't worry about Rondo. The Lakers played him right last year, they went under screens and let Rondo jumpshoot all night long. It really took him out of his game, he had a very poor series last year and I suspect they do the same for him this year. Let him have all the outside jumpers he wants. He only kills you when he can get in the paint.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
You are right on the defensive rebounding, they've been surprisingly poor at this. Pau/Bynum have been lazy on their boxing out and that certainly has to change. And the Lakers as a whole leak out a bit much rather than try to get the rebound.

Yes they have, the basketball site I use for stats says Gasol grabs the defensive rebound 18.7% of the time when there is an opportunity to do so, which is pathetic because Amare Stoudemire is a horrible rebounder and he grabs it 20% of the time. Bynum is at 21.2%, which means when they are on the floor together and the other team misses a shot, one of those two will grab the board 39.9% of the time, which should probably be closer to 45-50% like Perkins and KG. I think VladRad and Ariza might leak out too much because they really don't contribute to defensive rebounds as much as they should percentage wise, given one's height and the other's athleticism.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
This part is also true except I don't worry about Rondo. The Lakers played him right last year, they went under screens and let Rondo jumpshoot all night long. It really took him out of his game, he had a very poor series last year and I suspect they do the same for him this year. Let him have all the outside jumpers he wants. He only kills you when he can get in the paint.

I think the problem there might be Rondo is good enough now that he'll find ways to get in the paint without the help of screens and such, last year he was a lot worse and less confident.

xtremesteven33
12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Phil Jackson from what i hear, never preaches team defense or teaches defensive schemes.

He has always had the privelage of having great defensive players who dont need to be taught how to defend. Thats the case right now as well. The only reason they are even a decent defensive team is due to thier size. They have some of the biggest lineups in the league.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Phil Jackson from what i hear, never preaches team defense or teaches defensive schemes.

He has always had the privelage of having great defensive players who dont need to be taught how to defend. Thats the case right now as well. The only reason they are even a decent defensive team is due to thier size. They have some of the biggest lineups in the league.

I think Phil Jackson is a better coach than people give him credit for. He always manages to make adjustments in a series that work out well. Round by round he tends to coach better, it seems, as he scrutinizes what the team he's facing did successfully in the previous round(s) and then attempts to take those things away. While I realize that every coaching staff does this, Phil's teams tend to do it a little better than the other guys, hence all the hardware. He's a pretty darn good playoff coach, regardless of the fact he's always been able to follow the league's best players around.

That being said, I hate the LA Lakers.

Allanon
12-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Yes they have, the basketball site I use for stats says Gasol grabs the defensive rebound 18.7% of the time when there is an opportunity to do so, which is pathetic because Amare Stoudemire is a horrible rebounder and he grabs it 20% of the time. Bynum is at 21.2%, which means when they are on the floor together and the other team misses a shot, one of those two will grab the board 39.9% of the time, which should probably be closer to 45-50% like Perkins and KG. I think VladRad and Ariza might leak out too much because they really don't contribute to defensive rebounds as much as they should percentage wise, given one's height and the other's athleticism.

I knew they were bad but I didn't suspect them to be THAT bad (given their size).

You've put up a good analysis of the Laker weaknesses and I'm not being sarcastic. :toast

xtremesteven33
12-17-2008, 05:34 PM
I think Phil Jackson is a better coach than people give him credit for. He always manages to make adjustments in a series that work out well. Round by round he tends to coach better, it seems, as he scrutinizes what the team he's facing did successfully in the previous round(s) and then attempts to take those things away. While I realize that every coaching staff does this, Phil's teams tend to do it a little better than the other guys, hence all the hardware. He's a pretty darn good playoff coach, regardless of the fact he's always been able to follow the league's best players around.

That being said, I hate the LA Lakers.

Great playoff coach no doubt, but his preaching of regular season defense is non existent according to Robert Horry.

Allanon
12-17-2008, 05:35 PM

I've heard that as well, I think he even broke down and admitted it I think that's why he's always gone out of his way to get "big" players.

Who said size doesn't matter :lol

Lakers_55
12-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't put as much stock in the regular season as others do as it just seeds the playoffd, but....

Last season, before Lakers got Gasol, our record against teams that played in the 2008 postseason was 15-13. After the trade, it was 13-3, and Gasol went down early in one loss and missed another. This year against teams from the 2008 playoffs we are 10-1.

When the Laker record against contenders drops back to the 15-13 level, I will be worried. We were missing two guys out of our rotation last season and still breezed through the western playoffs. Barring a big trade or more injuries, it will happen again. You know it, and everyone knows it.

z0sa
12-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't put as much stock in the regular season as others do as it just seeds the playoffd, but....

Last season, before Lakers got Gasol, our record against teams that played in the 2008 postseason was 15-13. After the trade, it was 13-3, and Gasol went down early in one loss and missed another. This year against teams from the 2008 playoffs we are 10-1.

When the Laker record against contenders drops back to the 15-13 level, I will be worried. We were missing two guys out of our rotation last season and still breezed through the western playoffs. Barring a big trade or more injuries, it will happen again. You know it, and everyone knows it.

The Spurs WILL defeat LA in the playoffs.

xellos88330
12-17-2008, 07:33 PM

:toast

The Spurs will have their hands full with the Lakers however, the Lakers will have just as much trouble with the Spurs. The difference in this series I believe will be the Spurs total trust in each other to hit the shot.

m33p0
12-17-2008, 07:48 PM

:toast

Rummpd
12-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Lakers a tough team and very deep but in the end the best three in the game plus the new talent of the Spurs will prevail in a classic 6-7 game series!

Chieflion
12-17-2008, 08:22 PM
The way the Lakers are playing now, they would lose to the 8th seed.

DrHouse
12-17-2008, 08:23 PM
LOL we heard the smack talk last year about how the Spurs were going to dismantle the Lakers. It didn't happen.

Your team really hasn't changed all that much. It's Parker, Manu, and Duncan who need to score around 20ppg for you to even have a chance. If you think Hill, Mason, Bonner and what ever other scrubs you have out there are going to be difference makers then so be it.

This Lakers have just added Bynum, Ariza, and who knows who else will come by playoff time in the way of trades or pickups. You simply don't have the depth or personnel to match the Lakers and it will show in a 7 game series.

xtremesteven33
12-17-2008, 08:26 PM
LOL we heard the smack talk last year about how the Spurs were going to dismantle the Lakers. It didn't happen.

Your team really hasn't changed all that much. It's Parker, Manu, and Duncan who need to score around 20ppg for you to even have a chance. If you think Hill, Mason, Bonner and what ever other scrubs you have out there are going to be difference makers then so be it.

This Lakers have just added Bynum, Ariza, and who knows who else will come by playoff time in the way of trades or pickups. You simply don't have the depth or personnel to match the Lakers and it will show in a 7 game series.

hes got a point:(

romad_20
12-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Yes. I remember that, when Sasha was considered a defensive stopper on Manu :rollin Right, a healthy Manu and getting a younger bench won't make a difference at all.

I'm not claiming that Lakers weren't better last year, but the Spurs were no where near full strength and that won't be what you're facing again if Lakers meet the Spurs in the playoff.

Things that went right for the Lakers...

One day off of a 7-game series for the Spurs- had to sleep in a plane overnight.

Kicked the Lakers asses for 3 quarters and ran out of gas in game 1.

Generous no call on Barry's 3 point attempt.

Old ass bench.

Fisher 1 year younger.

romad_20
12-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I think the teams will split games in the reg season and who ever wins game 1 in the in a 7 game will win the West.

Nah, unless someone wins game 1 on the other's floor.

concken
12-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Yes. I remember that, when Sasha was considered a defensive stopper on Manu :rollin Right, a healthy Manu and getting a younger bench won't make a difference at all.

I'm not claiming that Lakers weren't better last year, but the Spurs were no where near full strength and that won't be what you're facing again if Lakers meet the Spurs in the playoff.

Things that went right for the Lakers...

One day off of a 7-game series for the Spurs- had to sleep in a plane overnight.

Kicked the Lakers asses for 3 quarters and ran out of gas in game 1.

Generous no call on Barry's 3 point attempt.

Old ass bench.

Fisher 1 year younger.

+1

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-17-2008, 11:17 PM
I knew they were bad but I didn't suspect them to be THAT bad (given their size).

You've put up a good analysis of the Laker weaknesses and I'm not being sarcastic. :toast

It's not really that bad, if you wanna talk about bad rebounding for his size Robin Lopez is the king. They need to box their man out but if the other players boxed out the wings wouldn't be able to fly in and grab rebounds over them. As mentioned earlier Phil needs to hold more players accountable on D, he no longer has a team full of veterans and leaders. Their D sucks now but before they had Fisher's leadership it was downright disgusting, in other words they need more leadership from either their players or their coach. Kareem needs to work less with Bynum on offense and more on boxing out.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-18-2008, 12:08 AM
The Lakers steam rolled the west but then the only one doing the steam rolling was the big green pecker known as Paul Pierce.

concken
12-18-2008, 12:17 AM
who did they steamroll over? the nuggets and the jazz? Scrubs

The hornets and the suns are much bigger competitors.

td4mvp21
12-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Let's refrain from saying the Lakers need to pass a real test until OUR TEAM ACTUALLY DOES IT :pctoss

The_Game
12-18-2008, 01:51 AM
god spurs fans are morons sometimes

we heard the same crap last year...the spurs will be lucky to get more than 1 game off the lakers

the lakers are on cruise control right now..they will win the west and should win the title either them or the cavs will

this laker team is so much better than everybody else.