PDA

View Full Version : Who’s Better: Manu Ginobili Or Tracy McGrady? (Dime Mag)

duncan228
12-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Who’s Better: Manu Ginobili or Tracy McGrady? (http://dimemag.com/2008/12/whos-better-manu-ginobili-or-tracy-mcgrady/)
By Dime Magazine

We argue. You decide…

MANU GINOBILI
(by Andrew Katz)

Manu’s game is an exercise in frustration. Judging his game on appearance, he doesn’t look like the guy who should be able to tack on 25 points in 30 minutes. And beyond that, he definitely doesn’t look like someone who would make an entire team look bad while doing so. But Ginobili has shown over and over again that looks can be deceiving.

Ginobili has built one of the most effective offensive arsenals in the League today by using a broader array of moves than anyone else. More than Kobe, Pierce, or anyone playing the game, Manu could easily use 10-15 different moves to beat his man within a 48-minute stretch.

And playing on a team stacked with talent, it’s got to be blood-boiling to have to step out on Manu and get beaten on his behind-the-back dribble one possession after he hit a step-back jumper from 22.

He’s a really cerebral player who toys with defenders in the same way that Better Basketball videos teach. First time down, he’ll dribble hard right and get past his defender. On trip number two, he’ll add a second step to that hard dribble by pushing off backwards for a fadeaway. And then on his next touch, he’ll hard dribble right, push back, and then up-fake to draw a foul.

He builds moves over the course of a game. And that obviously means that Manu’s best, toughest-to-guard combinations come in the fourth quarter. While it’s standard practice to see T-Mac fading away from 23, hoping that he’s locked-in enough to sink an impossible shot, Manu’s going to get a high percentage look when it matters most.

That translates into wins and losses, but not just in the regular season. Manu’s frustrating late-game antics — on both sides of the ball — are a key part in San Antone’s perennial place deep in the playoffs. Though McGrady shouldn’t shoulder all of the responsibility for his team’s playoff failings, he can’t be completely absolved of blame, either. Over the course of his career, he’s taken almost one full three-pointer more per game in the playoffs than he has during the regular season. And he’s actually made fewer (31.8% 3FG) in the postseason than over the first 82 (33.9% 3FG).

On the other hand, Ginobili has taken about half a trey more per night in the playoffs over his career, while making exactly the same rate (38% 3FG) in the postseason that he has done over the regular season.

Even if Manu is a flopper, he gets the job done. And he does it when it counts.

TRACY MCGRADY
(by Austin Burton)

My standard philosophy is that, in cases where the talent level is essentially even, one man’s credentials as a winner should tip the scales in his favor. That’s why I’m probably the only person I know who would take Tony Parker over Deron Williams; since the talent is about equal, TP’s three championships, one Finals MVP and two All-Star nods give him the edge over Deron’s collective doughnut in those particular categories.

So you would think that in this case, Manu versus T-Mac, I’d go with the other three-time champion in San Antonio’s backcourt. After all, T-Mac hasn’t even been past the first round of the playoffs — not even close enough to a ‘chip to shoot one of those dramatic “posing with the trophy” ABC commercials. And while that’s not all his fault, it’s not not his fault.

Here’s the thing, though: T-Mac is significantly more talented than Manu, to the point where his postseason failures don’t matter when determining who is the better player in this instance.

I have said and will continue to say that, when healthy, McGrady is right up there with Kobe and D-Wade in the NBA two-guard hierarchy. As a scorer, he can go off for 30 points on a whim, against any defense, slicing opponents from anywhere within 25 feet of the rim. And among two-guards and wings, there may not be a better ball-handler or passer in the League. Guys like Wade and Kobe can be amazing passers when they want to be, but what separates T-Mac is that he doesn’t have to “want to.” He’s a natural playmaker, more in the LeBron mold. But that doesn’t mean McGrady is passive at all in crunch time. McGrady knows his role on the team, he knows that the game’s decisive possessions will be in his hands, and he has enough game-winners and clutch buckets under his belt to know when to go into Takeover mode.

Age and injuries have obviously affected T-Mac’s performance, especially this season as he’s averaging just 16.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.3 assists; statistical low-points in the post-Toronto portion of his career. He’s only 29 years old, but as the Clippers announcers pointed out during Houston’s loss in L.A. over the weekend, Mac’s 700-something career games seems more like 1,000-plus. His biggest problem is that he simply cannot control injuries, just like Gale Sayers couldn’t, just like Grant Hill couldn’t, just like Ken Griffey Jr. couldn’t.

When his body is cooperating, however, you can count the number of players in the NBA who are flat-out better than Tracy McGrady on one hand. And as it stands, Manu Ginobili doesn’t crack that five-finger roll call.

xtremesteven33
12-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Its not fair to say Mcgrady is better than Manu when healthy when he never is.

tp2021
12-17-2008, 04:20 PM

Saying T-Mac is better than someone when healthy=Saying KG is more clutch than Robert Horry, if Robert Horry wasn't being clutch and KG was.

The qualifying statement makes it retarded.

dougp
12-17-2008, 04:22 PM
T-Mac will always be an overused reserve. The man needs to start coming off the bench - I think he could be 6th man if he does it right.

kace
12-17-2008, 04:24 PM

i don't like this kind of argument, like : "when "insert player" is at full strenght, at his top, on a good night...., he's better than ......, or he's one of the best player at his position....

what matters is what player you are on every game, the bad ones and the good ones, and what you have accomplished as a player on your career (not necessarily in titles won which also impies having a good team and some luck).

in NBA, there are 100 players who could look like superstars on a good night. but there aren't more than 15 or 20 who really are regularly.

Manufan909
12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
When his body is cooperating, however, you can count the number of players in the NBA who are flat-out better than Tracy McGrady on one hand. And as it stands, Manu Ginobili doesn’t crack that five-finger roll call.

I'dd grudgingly have to agree, but if we're limiting that to SGs, then even Nightcrawler could count on one hand those better than Manu.

Anti.Hero
12-17-2008, 04:28 PM
When Manu is ON he is the best offensive player in the league. Better than an average Kobe.

The problem is these nights are becoming rare.

ORION
12-17-2008, 04:30 PM
ridiculous

galvatron3000
12-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Hoston will only go as far as McGrady is able to carry them. He has the burden over carrying the load of being one of the focuses of the other teams defense. Well, Manu Ginobili doesn't have the same burden because the primary focus for others are Duncan and keeping Parker out of the paint. McGrady has been the number one option since leaving Toronto, Manu is only the number one option when Tim is out and down the stretch of a close game depending the play called.

jag
12-17-2008, 04:35 PM
T-Mac will always be an overused reserve. The man needs to start coming off the bench - I think he could be 6th man if he does it right.

What are you talking about?

McGrady's had injury problems, but when he's healthy he doesn't need to be coming off the bench.]

When Manu is ON he is the best offensive player in the league. Better than an average Kobe.

The problem is these nights are becoming rare.

How about when Kobe is "on" and Manu is putting up 6 pts. How about when they're both on, you still think Manu at his best is better than Kobe at his best?

Let's think objectively here.

Cry Havoc
12-17-2008, 04:50 PM

And when Manu is on, you can count the number of players better than Manu is on one or two fingers. And that's only if LeBron or CP3 have both had good nights.

nkdlunch
12-17-2008, 04:50 PM
McGrady is no doubt the better player... in regular season. Manu is better when it matters, in the playoffs there is no fuckin question about that. Not even a Rocket fan would argue that

Cry Havoc
12-17-2008, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't say T-Mac is the better all around player though, Yes He probably is the better offensive player when Healthy,but Manu is better on D and most important, Manu is clutch,and that's priceless.

Manu also has vastly better hustle and intangibles. When is the last time you saw McGrady on the ground to scrum? I don't know that I've EVER seen McGrady dive for a loose ball. Manu REGULARLY makes game-changing plays that do not involve scoring. If T-Mac isn't scoring, he's useless and a liability.

On a team that needs nothing but a pure scorer, you could argue that T-Mac is a better fit (and even that would be tough). But never a more complete, better all-around player. Not a chance.

Anti.Hero
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Last year, was it December-Jan?, when Manu was playing out of his mind jacking up 40 pt games and shooting~60% from the 3 pt line....that's when Manu is on.

Remember that PHX series in 07 when he took the black eye from diaw/bell/whoever and then absolutely took over the game? That's the Super manu.

Add in his steals on defense IN THE CLUTCH, his ridiculous passing, his selflessness and willingness to come off the bench? He is one of the best when in Hulk Mode. As good as Kobe IMFO during those brief occasions.

I am NOT saying he is better than Kobe or TMac on the whole, but Manu has the ability to surpass them briefly when he is in the zone.

benefactor
12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Kobe is a drama queen, a ballhog and a selfish mofo who hasn't won shit since Shaq left.
Of course He's great,but, do you think He would come to SA to be Duncan's sidekick????
No Fucking Way, so I'd take Manu over Kobe to build a championship team.
I love Manu as much as the next guy...but to say you'd take him over Kobe is just silly. Saying you'd take Duncan over Kobe is a much safer statement. To flip your statement...what would Manu OR Tony be without Duncan?

T-Mac is significantly more talented than Manu, to the point where his postseason failures don’t matter when determining who is the better player in this instance.
This just isn't a true statement. Manu has just as much talent as T-Mac. I think he is confusing talent with height and athleticism.

AnotherArgie
12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
What's the discussion here? No one will remember TMac in 10 or 20 years, while Manu will be in the HOF.

Besides, one important aspect not being mentioned by anyone: TMac's salary is more than double than Manu's. That makes Manu more desirable for any GM any day of the week.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-17-2008, 06:36 PM
TMac hasn't accomplished nearly what Manu has. Not even an arguable comparison, IMO.

phxspurfan
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Who’s Better: Manu Ginobili or Tracy McGrady? (http://dimemag.com/2008/12/whos-better-manu-ginobili-or-tracy-mcgrady/)

Duncan
KG
LeBron
DWade
Kobe
Dirk
Paul Pierce
CP3

dougp
12-17-2008, 06:46 PM
What are you talking about?

McGrady's had injury problems, but when he's healthy he doesn't need to be coming off the bench..

Ok, so you don't want to accept that TMac is nothing more than a glorified role player. Why? Sorry, but the dude can score - that's all. Want to talk about anti-clutch? The guy has a career average of 74% FT and 33% 3PT - and he always has a fucking excuse. And he doesn't try hard because he doesn't like his team. He's a fucking nobody who will go nowhere until he realizes that he should have gone to a team that has a REAL super star and played the role of a true SG. I'd rather see Brooks take the game winning shot than TMac. Shit, I'd rather see Alston take the game winning shot ... He's nothing more than what Finley is now, and I'm not even sure I'd take him over Finley. I live in Houston and I get to hear all his complaining bullshit - the one that sent me over the top was him complaining about the fucking LIGHTS in the Toyota Center. The team had him go out there and shoot from various areas and they adjusted the lights for him. He still shot like crap - and then he blamed it on the back board.

spursfan09
12-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Well we all know who has had the better career

m33p0
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
if both played on the same team, i'd rather have the ball in Manu's hands than TMac's to win a tight game. TMac maybe the better athlete but Manu is the winner here.

BlackSwordsMan
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM
jordan is better than t-mac when jordan was 20 years younger and still played basketball

Obstructed_View
12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Manu's brain in TMac's body would be the most unstoppable force in the history of basketball. TMac has loads of physical gifts, but that's about it.

kuato
12-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Define better , Manu is way better player to get championships, TMac is way better to sold tickets and make dunks.

crc21209
12-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Is this a serious argument? Are you fucking kidding me? Manu hands-down! And not just cuz I'm a Spurs fan either. Come on 4 rings > O Playoff Series Wins. Thats ALL I gotta say.

mVp
12-17-2008, 09:19 PM
To flip your statement...what would Manu OR Tony be without Duncan?

?????

I don't know about Tony... but Manu won an Olympic Gold Medal, the Italian League Championship, the Italian Cup, an Euroleague, the Americas Championship, several MVP awards in Europe and Argentina... he won all that without Duncan...

Basketball isn't just the NBA you know.

Spurtacus
12-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Manu is healthier. Manu is more efficient. Manu is more valuable. Manu is simply better than Tmac.

The Franchise
12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
For me it all comes down to one question: Would the Spurs and Rockets be better or worse if their roles were reversed. Under those circumstances both teams are better with McgGrady. He is a lazy whiner but for some reason I think the Spurs would have at least one more championship if he were plugged in for Manu. I can also say flat out the Rockets would be worse off with Manu in Mcgradys place.

dougp
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
For me it all comes down to one question: Would the Spurs and Rockets be better or worse if their roles were reversed. Under those circumstances both teams are better with McgGrady. He is a lazy whiner but for some reason I think the Spurs would have at least one more championship if he were plugged in for Manu. I can also say flat out the Rockets would be worse off with Manu in Mcgradys place.

Dude, no. Just, no. TMac can't take over like Manu does.