PDA

View Full Version : Boy, is he pissing off the base...

Yonivore
12-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at the inaugural (http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/503643.aspx).

Some on the left are upset because of what he believes on abortion (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_12/016098.php).

Some on the left are upset because of what he believes on homosexuality (http://oxdown.firedoglake.com/diary/2499).

Most on the left are upset because he believes in God.

There goes President Obama, clinging to religion…

:lmao It's going to be an interesting four years.

Wild Cobra
12-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Maybe they'll do to him like they did to president Bush?

Winehole23
12-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Better said: pissing on the base. It's a time honored tradition in both parties, post-election.

Yonivore
12-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Better said: pissing on the base. It's a time honored tradition in both parties, post-election.
Will you be so cavalier when his keeping of the Bush foreign policy team results in the continuation of NSA, interrogation, and detention policies you've been railing against in anothe thread?

I don't think so. But, maybe he'll bring you around.

jochhejaam
12-17-2008, 09:49 PM
A covert conservative, I knew it all along. He now has both arms and one leg on the right side of the aisle.

In his own words; "Ick bin ein konservativ"

Winehole23
12-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Will you be so cavalier when his keeping of the Bush foreign policy team results in the continuation of NSA, interrogation, and detention policies you've been railing against in anothe thread?It could happen. But no, it won't make me lose my sense of humor.

Bigzax
12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
yoni...you're a fellow conservative...that's cool...

but who gives fuck about what the left is upset about...

that's their problem.

i don't give a fuck about people's religion.

i don't give a fuck about who people want to fuck.

doesn't matter. end of the day.

what is this guy gonna do to improve our economy and bring home our troops...

that's all that matters to me.

Bigzax
12-17-2008, 09:58 PM
it's funny...i always liked the words coming out of obama's mouth...i just didn't believe him...

i grouped him with billy clinton...a smooth talker that was full of shit.

maybe he is a better man. but just maybe...

lets go ahead and wait til he takes the oath...kay?

kay.

Wild Cobra
12-17-2008, 10:08 PM
it's funny...i always liked the words coming out of obama's mouth...i just didn't believe him...

i grouped him with billy clinton...a smooth talker that was full of shit.

Maybe he's a far better bullshitter than president Clinton?

FromWayDowntown
12-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Now Republicans will have all kinds of reasons to support Obama in 2012.

Anti.Hero
12-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I love how the gays think their opinion matters so much.

Def Rowe
12-18-2008, 12:00 AM
I had a feeling once elected Obama would move to the center, and reach across the aisle to get things done. That's why I voted for him.

Oh, Gee!!
12-18-2008, 12:43 AM
I love how the gays think their opinion matters so much.

are you accusing yoni of being gay?

BradLohaus
12-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Fairness Doctrine

Winehole23
12-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Fairness Doctrine:lol

ClingingMars
12-18-2008, 02:57 AM
I had a feeling once elected Obama would move to the center, and reach across the aisle to get things done. That's why I voted for him.

it's either that or a move towards the wacko left.

the jury's still out on his decision

-Mars

Extra Stout
12-18-2008, 06:56 AM
The strategy is two-pronged. On some areas, like foreign policy, and his personal views on some social issues, he is taking a center-right stance. Then, as he is defined as "center-right," his more left-wing policies, like nationalized health care, become redefined as centrist.

He is not an amateur.

Yonivore
12-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Or, he'll be a schizophrenic and do both. And, by the looks of his Interior, Energy, and EPA choices stacked up against his foreign policy staff...I'd say he's split his personality.

jochhejaam
12-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Now Republicans will have all kinds of reasons to support Obama in 2012.

Eh, Warren just gives them(?) a warm feeling, if he really wanted to knock the socks off of the Establishment, he would have selected (former Auburn baller, teammate of Barkley's) Mark Cahill for the inagural invocation.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GNPnFIv00v4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GNPnFIv00v4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Christianity personified. A present day Book of Acts Christian, and standard-bearer for Christian evangelism.

TheProfessor
12-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Amusing. Obama's governing like he said he would, and the left goes off the wall. Don't know what they were expecting.

The more pissed off they get, the more support Obama draws from centrists and quasi-centrist Republicans. So, not quite sure what Yoni is celebrating here...

Viva Las Espuelas
12-18-2008, 10:17 AM
i guess "rev." wright already had a gig.

George Gervin's Afro
12-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I am waiting for the praise from the right wingers on board for Obama. It must suck for Yoni and WC to have face their hypocritical demons..

Wild Cobra
12-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I sure Hope Obama is smart enough not to do as he promised.

Besides, I'd love to see the radical left have a melt-down!

Wild Cobra
12-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I am waiting for the praise from the right wingers on board for Obama. It must suck for Yoni and WC to have face their hypocritical demons..

Praise him for what?

So far, he's still nothing but talk! I'm waiting to see what he really does. What he pushes for once in office, signs, and vetoes.

You may judge a person by their words and charisma, but I judge them by their deeds!

spurster
12-18-2008, 11:52 AM
It does probably seem strange to Bushies, who shunned anyone who wasn't a true believer in BushCo. Obama doesn't seem so afraid of working with people who believe differently from him.

doobs
12-18-2008, 12:14 PM
It does probably seem strange to Bushies, who shunned anyone who wasn't a true believer in BushCo. Obama doesn't seem so afraid of working with people who believe differently from him.

What the hell does Obama believe?

MannyIsGod
12-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I just learned that Warren has given something like 90% of his earnings to charity? I find that incredibly awesome if correct and regardless of any differences we may have in other areas that is outstanding.

balli
12-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm as liberal as they come and I fucking love this decision. I respect Warren. I love how the comments of a couple pastors who seem to be nothing more than jealous of him are being construed into "Obama pissing off the base."

Obama's entire message has been predicated on reconciliation and compromise and so if these people aren't on board and they don't subscribe to his fundamental message, how the fuck can they be construed as part of the base?

And also, Yoni, that you would attack Obama for doing what he said he would; that is enfranchising those with your point of view, is beyond sickening. You are fucking disgusting excuse of an American and a human being. Piece of shit.

Winehole23
12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I just learned that Warren has given something like 90% of his earnings to charity? I find that incredibly awesome if correct and regardless of any differences we may have in other areas that is outstanding.It's called reverse tithing. It's a measure of his seriousness. Puts his money where his mouth is.

balli
12-18-2008, 02:51 PM
It's awesome. Given how many 60 minute stories I've seen about Mega-church and Televangelist pastors who live like royalty, it's even that much more awesome. There isn't a better person Obama could have chosen IMO.

George Gervin's Afro
12-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Unlike Bush ,who chose to govern to 51% percent of the country, Obama seems to want to include everyone. I am ok with that. I guess the right wingers are so used to in your face politics they find it hard to believe that ther are people out in the world who don't buy into the Rush Limabauh politics.

Oh, Gee!!
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
the glbt community needs to get over it. it's a prayer

Wild Cobra
12-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Unlike Bush ,who chose to govern to 51% percent of the country, Obama seems to want to include everyone. I am ok with that. I guess the right wingers are so used to in your face politics they find it hard to believe that ther are people out in the world who don't buy into the Rush Limabauh politics.
How can your statement be correct when his approval ratings have been around 20% for some time?

You can never please all the people. Not even Obama will be able to.

I resent you calling conservatism "Rush Limbaugh" politics. Conservatism has been around long before him! He is simply the most popular conservative pundit. Does that mean we should call liberalism "Obama Politics" or "Al Frankin" politics? Pick a name for liberalism please.

As for "Right Wingers" and "In Your Face." My God... It's the right that complains about the left being in peoples faces! The right norm,ally remains silent or guarded until there is a pressing issue that the left is flamboyant about.

Extra Stout
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
There apparently was a sense among some on the far left that with the election of Obama they would be able to get revenge on their political enemies.

Winehole23
12-18-2008, 04:38 PM
There apparently was a sense among some on the far left that with the election of Obama they would be able to get revenge on their political enemies.It cracks me up how other conservatives obsess continually over the puny and vanishingly insignificant left-wing in American politics. As if it really had power. As if it were an actual threat. Ha. In the Democratic Party itself the left wing is marginalized, denounced as unserious, and kept on as a sideshow, to frighten its nephews and nieces into bland mediocrity.

We have two centrist parties here. Both believe in big government, and both are in hock to big business. From the viewpoint of Europe, there is no left-wing party at all in the USA. For that matter, there is no truly conservative party either. Both major parties are essentially neoliberal.

For all the belly-aching about the so-called left, I fail to see what the big deal is. George W. Bush has done more than any President in the last 30 years to bring about social democracy in the USA. He presided over the biggest increase in entitlements since the Great Society, and his administration has nationalized the mortgage and financial sectors. Next up, automobile production.

The camel's nose is under the tent.

Winehole23
12-18-2008, 05:12 PM
seems the only people outraged in this thread are "conservatives"Outrage? I see more schadenfreude about Obama supposedly sticking it to teh gheys and teh libs.

If there's any outrage on either side, it's totally contrived. Fake umbrage alert! :jack

Extra Stout
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
seems the only people outraged in this thread are "conservatives"
Has anybody here expressed any outrage whatsoever? The conservatives are kind of smug, and everyone else is kind of thinking, "OK, what's the big deal?"

Out on the innertubes, though, there are leftie blogs screaming bloody murder about how Obama is not governing according to the Green Party platform, and how dare, HOW DARE he invite a CHRISTIAN HATEMONGER to do the invocation when Katherine Jefferts Schori had her calendar all cleared out on the 20th.

To which, I'm :huh:

2centsworth
12-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I just learned that Warren has given something like 90% of his earnings to charity? I find that incredibly awesome if correct and regardless of any differences we may have in other areas that is outstanding.

Obama giving less than 1% should piss you off, no?

balli
12-18-2008, 06:26 PM
To which, I'm :huh:
Me too. Let em bitch though, they're in the minority.

Everybody's having them dreams.
Everybody sees themselves walkin' around with no one else.
Half of the people can be part right all of the time,
Some of the people can be all right part of the time.
But all the people can't be all right all the time

Crookshanks
12-18-2008, 06:37 PM

Not only does he practive reverse tithing (where he gives 90% to God and lives on 10%), but, when his book, "The Purpose-Drive Life, became a bestseller, he figured out what Saddleback Church had paid him in salary since he started the church, and he gave back ALL of that money to the church!

We had some friends who helped start Saddleback and I've been out to the church - they have a pretty impressive ministry.

Wild Cobra
12-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Hell, I'm not rich, and I probably give 4% to 5% of my income to charity.

LnGrrrR
12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
i guess "rev." wright already had a gig.

Uhm... why the quotes? I mean, he IS a reverend... a jackass yes, but still a reverend.

MannyIsGod
12-18-2008, 10:17 PM

Considering he's a public servant, no. Obama could have made far more money in other services, and thats a no brainier.

I hold a special contempt for clergy who preach Christiantiy and live in places like the Dominion. I'm glad to see Warren is not like that.

balli
12-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, before the Current Pres and Vice President took office they donated the majority of their lives to becoming independently wealthy. One succeeded himself and the other just bankrupt a bunch of companies on daddy's dime, but making obscene amounts of money was both of their primary goals in life. Obama's worked pretty much his entire adult life in the interest and service of other people, when really, he could have done anything else he wanted, including becoming obscenely rich. But he didn't, so how bout you republican scum-fucking-bags quit throwing stones at the man for anything you cook up in your delusional and small minds. Especially since he just went out of his way and is taking heat for throwing a pretty big olive branch to your conservative base.

romad_20
12-18-2008, 11:22 PM
As someone who likes to see religion and politics as far away from each other as possible, I could care less. How many pastors or religious leaders are you going to find that will agree with gay marriage? I'd say its the vast minority. Someone has to say the prayer, right? I'm sure if I knew every choice of pastor, rabbi, whatever, I'd disagree with all of them. As long as he's not up there using the platform for a pulpit on issues, what's the big deal?

romad_20
12-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, before the Current Pres and Vice President took office they donated the majority of their lives to becoming independently wealthy. One succeeded himself and the other just bankrupt a bunch of companies on daddy's dime, but making obscene amounts of money was both of their primary goals in life. Obama's worked pretty much his entire adult life in the interest and service of other people, when really, he could have done anything else he wanted, including becoming obscenely rich. But he didn't, so how bout you republican scum-fucking-bags quit throwing stones at the man for anything you cook up in your delusional and small minds. Especially since he just went out of his way and is taking heat for throwing a pretty big olive branch to your conservative base.

Good take.

2centsworth
12-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Considering he's a public servant, no. Obama could have made far more money in other services, and thats a no brainier.

could he be more powerful doing something else? anyways, i guess public servants shouldn't have to donate money, even if they make a couple of million.

I hold a special contempt for clergy who preach Christiantiy and live in places like the Dominion. I'm glad to see Warren is not like that.

Who's to judge? Hypocrites of all walks piss me off.

Rohirrim
12-19-2008, 12:00 AM
I've always wondered if this Joel Osteen is legit or a paper pastor?

That's great Warren is the real deal as far as charity givings, unlike The Obamas.

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 12:07 AM
could he be more powerful doing something else? anyways, i guess public servants shouldn't have to donate money, even if they make a couple of million.

The question was about giving money, not what his motivations for becoming president are.

Who's to judge? Hypocrites of all walks piss me off.

Sure, there are a ton of hypocrites outside of christian pastors who piss me off but I was placing a context on my comments in this thread. I don't agree with a lot of what Warren has to say or believe, but he puts his money where his mouth is and I believe he has good intentions.

LnGrrrR
12-19-2008, 08:13 AM
I've always wondered if this Joel Osteen is legit or a paper pastor?

That's great Warren is the real deal as far as charity givings, unlike The Obamas.

Joel Osteen is a putz. Anyone who says that Jesus wants them to have money/be rich is just pandering to his congregation.

Oh, Gee!!
12-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Who's to judge?

depends on the subject.

possessed
12-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm as liberal as they come and I fucking love this decision. I respect Warren. I love how the comments of a couple pastors who seem to be nothing more than jealous of him are being construed into "Obama pissing off the base."

Obama's entire message has been predicated on reconciliation and compromise and so if these people aren't on board and they don't subscribe to his fundamental message, how the fuck can they be construed as part of the base?

And also, Yoni, that you would attack Obama for doing what he said he would; that is enfranchising those with your point of view, is beyond sickening. You are fucking disgusting excuse of an American and a human being. Piece of shit.
Obama could fart in your mouth and you'd love it. Brainwashed, kool-aid drinking, shit eating, bad breath having, pussy ass liberal virgin internet warrior posting from the basement of your parents house.

DarkReign
12-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Obama could fart in your mouth and you'd love it. Brainwashed, kool-aid drinking, shit eating, bad breath having, pussy ass liberal virgin internet warrior posting from the basement of your parents house.

The majority of your post may be true, but the "living in parents basement" portion certainly isnt.

Nice try though. Do you make it a habit to generalize?

Look bud, your team lost. It happens all the time. Get over it.

Just be secure in the fact that no matter who won the election (McCain or Obama), the American people are sure to lose.

The greatest illusion this country purports is that our government is run by the People. It most certainly is not and I havent lived long enough to say that it has ever been worse or more true a statement.

We elect prostitutes, who then service the people who got them elected. It is not their constituency.

So....yeah. I love my country, but hate my government. Not the "I really, really dislike you" kind of hate. No, its the real kind of hate.

DarkReign
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
So....yeah. I love my country, but hate my government. Not the "I really, really dislike you" kind of hate. No, its the real kind of hate.

I usually never quote myself, but this portion of my post gets me to thinking about WildCobra and Yonivore.

How guys can be so interested in politics and governing, yet have little to no disdain for the entire faux operation?

Its almost as if, as long as "their guy" is setting the course, all is right with the world. Bush knows no fault, the liberal agenda is ALL wrong, the conservative agenda is ALL right. This good, that bad, our country owns. Our government is the end all be all and no one should question it, certainly not in the terms of war or the methods used to gather information (torture, wiretaps, spying, etc). If they arent describing the Orwellian "Big Brother" nearly as well as Orwell did, I dont know who could. The weirdest portion of that statement is they actually support this government! WTF?! I thought you were a conservative? The root word is conserve, look it up. What are you conserving? Certainly not this country, not its people or its fundamental rights when your tail is so firmly tucked between your legs you trade perceived freedoms for perceived security. Theres a saying about that, you know...

When in actuality, we should all be demanding better than this. Instead of finding ways in which we are so different to the point of outright resentment, we should find common ground long enough to change the rules to put the power back where it belongs.

Then continue the usual left/right/liberal/conservative bullshit.

I think I would have a much stronger allegiance in the political realm if only I had any confidence in the system of government we find ourselves under. Obama could be the next Jefferson or Washington or Eisenhower or Adams or whomever you think the greatest POTUS is of all time.

Doesnt make a lick of difference when Congress is nothing more than a corporate brothel (if not the White House too). The people tasked with legislating law on behalf of the American people are whores, check that, they are slaves (quite literally, at best indentured servants) to their monetary taskmasters.

They dont legislate on behalf of Americans, they legislate on behalf of corporations, period. End of discussion.

I dont give a shit what consonant falls at the end of their name, theyre whores, thru and thru.

Until that aspect of our government changes (RADICALLY), this entire back and forth between the multitude of sides is just moral/political excercise for the various theories of government, its scope and its application.

And it pains me to see so many Americans blinded enough, or too incerdibly jaded to not acknowledge that fact and that fact alone before pursuing any other agenda.

Nothing is more important. Not the "War on Terror" (ugh...). Not the economic situation. Not our borders, our healthcare, our...anything.

Nothing, IMO, supercedes this glaring issue of an unrepresentative government run amok. With the ability to tax! Draft and enforce law! On behalf of billionaires and the proxies!

Its like this the world round. But here in the US, we can make a difference, if people werent so lazy and distracted with the ever-expanding ways to entertain ourselves. I am just as guilty, there is no question.

But only because in the limited engagements I have on this topic doesnt seem to sink in for people. They either dont believe me (25%), dont understand (25%) or dont care enough to listen (50%).

I honestly dont think that even if we were all standing in a soup-line, Depression-style, Americans still would fall into one of those categories. Nevermind the fact that your dumbass is standing ina soupline, when 5-10 years ago you had a job and a house with a 401k.

Theyd chalk it up to the global economy....thats just code word for "its cheaper elsewhere" because governments like China and India and Mexico have nowhere near the standard of living or the promises of their forefathers to uphold.

The powers that be dont want to bring the world up to our standard, they want to drag us down to the world. Theyre winning in blowout fashion in the third quarter, right now. Time is not on our side, yet we still believe this entire situation of ours is some big machine that no one controls and we're just victims of the world economy.

I guess it is easier to be a victim, easier to just blame and accept station among the other drones and worker bees. I say it again....I feel sorry for people having children right now. Youve cursed them to this place. There is no heaven or hell, only our life. We are the first generation in this country to hand over the world in worse shape then when we got it. Your kids will never have your success level.

Hows that for karma?

2centsworth
12-19-2008, 11:27 AM
The question was about giving money, not what his motivations for becoming president are. I said the guy isn't charitable. You said he is because he gave up a wall street job. I countered by saying he gave up that job for the power he could never buy on his own.

Sure, there are a ton of hypocrites outside of christian pastors who piss me off but I was placing a context on my comments in this thread. I don't agree with a lot of what Warren has to say or believe, but he puts his money where his mouth is and I believe he has good intentions.

See.. you're focused on Warren's intentions, but up above you said you're not worried about Obama's intentions. Confusing.

Wild Cobra
12-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I usually never quote myself, but this portion of my post gets me to thinking about WildCobra and Yonivore.

How guys can be so interested in politics and governing, yet have little to no disdain for the entire faux operation?

After all this time, you have me wrong. Don't you.

I have no love for the republicans. There are few conservatives left in politics. Like you, I am a libertarian. Just more conservative than you. I generally end up voting for the lesser or two evils and I support the republicans against unsubstantiated allegations. They are generally false. There is little to admire about the republicans, except that they are not the democratick party. I’m sorry if my level of evidence is more than yours. Bring in some proper allegations, and you will find me in agreement most the time.

Look at the whole thing dealing with governor Palin. Nearly every allegation was utterly false. The democrats are the slime of the earth when all they can do is slander others. At least most the republicans refrain from slander. There is so much slander all the time against republicans, I blow all of it off as just that until there is good evidence.

Winehole23
12-19-2008, 11:33 AM
The powers that be dont want to bring the world up to our standard, they want to drag us down to the world. Theyre winning in blowout fashion in the third quarter, right now. Time is not on our side, yet we still believe this entire situation of ours is some big machine that no one controls and we're just victims of the world economy.Even if you don't accept the Illuminist theory about a banking cabal steering western history, it's more or less unarguable that it was the banks who drove this country into a ditch and the banks who stand to gain the most (and already have received the most, carte blanche) from the crisis they created.

The direction of the USA is Brazil and Mexico. Given our pitiful education system, our manufacturing sector gutted in the name of globalism and our abandonment of sound money and thrift (echoing the theme of a venal, unrepresentative government), the trend is clear. A very bright future lies behind us.

Winehole23
12-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I have no love for the republicans. There are few conservatives left in politics. Like you, I am a libertarian. Just more conservative than you. I generally end up voting for the lesser or two evils and I support the republicans against unsubstantiated allegations. They are generally false. There is little to admire about the republicans, except that they are not the democratick party. Faced with a fecal dualism, WC gets in the ring and starts flinging shit. He doesn't have to, but he chooses to.

I’m sorry if my level of evidence is more than yours. Bring in some proper allegations, and you will find me in agreement most the time.Keep polishing those turds. Pretty soon, you'll see your own reflection.

Look at the whole thing dealing with governor Palin. Nearly every allegation was utterly false. The democrats are the slime of the earth when all they can do is slander others. At least most the republicans refrain from slander. There is so much slander all the time against republicans, I blow all of it off as just that until there is good evidence.Still buttsore about Palin and upholding the honor of the GOP, even though you say their only virtue is they're not the Dems. But you're not a republican.

I guess you're just a toady.

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 11:53 AM
I said the guy isn't charitable. You said he is because he gave up a wall street job. I countered by saying he gave up that job for the power he could never buy on his own.

Because you're assuming that his intentions for his life long service has been power yet I fail to see the power associated with working for ACORN as a community organizer for virtually nothing. His rise to the presidency is something that was not planned for and is actually an extremely unlikely event.

See.. you're focused on Warren's intentions, but up above you said you're not worried about Obama's intentions. Confusing.

Not at all. I'm focused on Warren not fitting the mold of big name clergy who live off the fat of the lamb which does not strike me as what should happen. For all I know, he could care nothing about the people his money is helping and be doing all of this for PR and Power - as you claim Obama is doing.

DarkReign
12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
After all this time, you have me wrong. Don't you.

I have no love for the republicans. There are few conservatives left in politics. Like you, I am a libertarian. Just more conservative than you. I generally end up voting for the lesser or two evils and I support the republicans against unsubstantiated allegations. They are generally false. There is little to admire about the republicans, except that they are not the democratick party. I’m sorry if my level of evidence is more than yours. Bring in some proper allegations, and you will find me in agreement most the time.

Look at the whole thing dealing with governor Palin. Nearly every allegation was utterly false. The democrats are the slime of the earth when all they can do is slander others. At least most the republicans refrain from slander. There is so much slander all the time against republicans, I blow all of it off as just that until there is good evidence.

Ok, I can understand that you identify more with Republicans than Dems. The rest of that is drivel to me in the sense that Palin, Obama, McCain, Democrat and Republican are all beholden to the same people.

So the argument about who I may or may not lean with is of little importance, IMO. The car is a broken down piece of shit with an alignment problem that pulls either to the left or right, depending on the season.

Doesnt make the car any less a piece of shit.

Time for a new car.

2centsworth
12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Because you're assuming that his intentions for his life long service has been power yet I fail to see the power associated with working for ACORN as a community organizer for virtually nothing. His rise to the presidency is something that was not planned for and is actually an extremely unlikely event.

Congress was an almost certainty with an outside chance of the presidency. To say that's not appealing is not being totally honest. Plus, money can be made in more than just one place. Many wealthy people delay short-term gratification for long-term benefits.

Not at all. I'm focused on Warren not fitting the mold of big name clergy
who live off the fat of the lamb which does not strike me as what should happen.you mean the stereotype. I guess stereotyping clergy is ok.

For all I know, he could care nothing about the people his money is helping and be doing all of this for PR and Power - as you claim Obama is doing. I haven't claimed anything except that one puts his money where his mouth is.

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Congress was an almost certainty with an outside chance of the presidency. To say that's not appealing is not being totally honest. Plus, money can be made in more than just one place. Many wealthy people delay short-term gratification for long-term benefits.

you mean the stereotype. I guess stereotyping clergy is ok.

I haven't claimed anything except that one puts his money where his mouth is.

Its not a stereotype. Lets look at the big name clergy like Hagee and Olstien. How many of them practice this form of charitable giving? If its standard practice then I'm simply wrong.

I'm simply claiming Obama's time is equal to giving money. I think thats fairly accurate giving that he could be using that time to make a great deal of money and that makes it extremely valuable.

2centsworth
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Its not a stereotype. Lets look at the big name clergy like Hagee and Olstien. How many of them practice this form of charitable giving? If its standard practice then I'm simply wrong.

so they must donate 90% to meet your standard and Obama need only donate 1%.:lmao:lmao:lmao

I'm simply claiming Obama's time is equal to giving money. And a preachers time? Do you even know what most preachers do?

I think thats fairly accurate giving that he could be using that time to make a great deal of money and that makes it extremely valuable.

he spent his time wisely manny. He is the POTUS. Even being Senator was time spent wisely. And btw, projecting peoples incomes in the future isn't as easy as you might think. Yes he would have made a good living, but would he be a big time player like he is now?

here's an example. A friend of mine worked in the kitchen of a restaurant to learn the trade. Yes he could of made more money doing other things at the time, but now he owns 8 highly successful restaurants and lives large.

doobs
12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Warren is what Europeans would call a Christian Democrat. Socially conservative, economically leftist. I wish the Democrats would take these morons into their party.

doobs
12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
so they must donate 90% to meet your standard and Obama need only donate 1%.:lmao:lmao:lmao

And a preachers time? Do you even know what most preachers do?

he spent his time wisely manny. He is the POTUS. Even being Senator was time spent wisely. And btw, projecting peoples incomes in the future isn't as easy as you might think. Yes he would have made a good living, but would he be a big time player like he is now?

here's an example. A friend of mine worked in the kitchen of a restaurant to learn the trade. Yes he could of made more money doing other things at the time, but now he owns 8 highly successful restaurants and lives large.

I actually think Obama's fairly lazy. I don't think he would have cut it as a lawyer in a big firm. Probably wouldn't have made partner.

Dude never held a real job for more than a couple years. He didn't do a clerkship, despite being president of the Harvard Law Review.

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 01:32 PM

And a preachers time? Do you even know what most preachers do?

I've spent the last 5 years in a relationship with the daughter of a Methodist minister. I have no idea what preachers do, Pete. I don't understand why you're surprised that I hold them to higher standards. Don't you?

But in any event, I never established that 90% as some kind of standard to which everyone to strive for. I think Obama does plenty outside of giving actual money. You seem to think because he's president that the time he has spent in public service means nothing and he was the only one that gained from it.

You never addressed the issue of big name preachers and how they act in regards to money. You simply side stepped it after saying I was stereotyping. Was I wrong, Pete? Do most of these figureheads not live lavishly?

The whole point behind this was to praise Warren. You supposedly saw an opening to point out that Obama doesn't meet the same standard. I never said he had to, for one. But I do maintain he does plenty for the American people and for you to say otherwise is simply dishonest. The time he spends in office is equitable to charitable donations, IMO. If you want to disagree, feel free. The fact that Obama has been successfull doesn't change this. I already pointed out I didn't analyze Warren's intentions so I'm not sure why you feel the need to do so to Obama.

I mean by your defenition doing anything simply to be "saved" is selfish and self serving, correct?

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
I actually think Obama's fairly lazy. I don't think he would have cut it as a lawyer in a big firm. Probably wouldn't have made partner.

Dude never held a real job for more than a couple years. He didn't do a clerkship, despite being president of the Harvard Law Review.

Have you ever worked with a serious non profit before? If long hours for shitty pay is being lazy, then yeah I guess you're right. If a real job is only one where you work in an office and clock out at 5, then yeah maybe you're right.

I'm sure you think highly of your profession, but your post is fairly stupid.

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
BTW, Lazy doesn't work for minorities trying to get into these positions. It may work for people like Bush who are born with silver spoons, but I find it laughable that you would think the black kid from a single parent household with a Muslim name got where he did by being lazy.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Obamacans, MARCH!!!

2centsworth
12-19-2008, 01:59 PM
I've spent the last 5 years in a relationship with the daughter of a Methodist minister. I have no idea what preachers do, Pete. I don't understand why you're surprised that I hold them to higher standards. Don't you?

of course I do, but not to the point of ridiculousness. I'll give you a quick example of what preachers do. I know a lot of preachers and most of their time is spend trying to feed, clothe and help the less fortunate. From Robert Emmitt at CBC to Sean Azzaro at River City to Craig Grubbs and Hope Ministries at the Lincoln Courts.

But in any event, I never established that 90% as some kind of standard to which everyone to strive for. I think Obama does plenty outside of giving actual money. You seem to think because he's president that the time he has spent in public service means nothing and he was the only one that gained from it. I like the dude, but he's not some type of God. We all should give of our time and of our Money. He doesn't get any special breaks in my book.

You never addressed the issue of big name preachers and how they act in regards to money. You simply side stepped it after saying I was stereotyping. Was I wrong, Pete? Do most of these figureheads not live lavishly? Where are you learning this? You're watching too much TV. Yes, there are Preachers who are wolves in sheeps clothing, but like everything there are bad apples in every walk of life.

The whole point behind this was to praise Warren. You supposedly saw an opening to point out that Obama doesn't meet the same standard. I never said he had to, for one. But I do maintain he does plenty for the American people and for you to say otherwise is simply dishonest. The time he spends in office is equitable to charitable donations, IMO.

so why do other representatives find a way to be more charitable? You're way to lenient on him IMO.

If you want to disagree, feel free. The fact that Obama has been successfull doesn't change this. I already pointed out I didn't analyze Warren's intentions so I'm not sure why you feel the need to do so to Obama. I'm not trying to analyze intentions, so that's why I'm focusing on the bottom line. Obama doesn't put his money where his mouth is.

I mean by your defenition doing anything simply to be "saved" is selfish and self serving, correct? huh?

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Pete, You know I'm not talking about all preachers right? I'm referring to those with a good deal of celebrity.

Maybe Obama should be held to a higher standard and I guess thats for each individual to judge for himself. After seeing the type of work he's done in the past firsthand, I realize how shitty it can be and how the only people who do it are the ones who really feel the effort is worth it because of who they are trying to benefit. Once again, I never established Warren's outstanding mark as a standard for everyone to be held to. He could be giving much less and still be an extremely charitable individual. That being said, I will never come to terms with agreeing with a minister who lives in a mansion while there are starving people in this world. I simply do not agree with that one bit.

ChumpDumper
12-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I’m sorry if my level of evidence is more than yours.It is clear that American children eat more light bulbs than fish.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I will never come to terms with agreeing with a minister who lives in a mansion while there are starving people in this world. I simply do not agree with that one bit.so is this sentiment held for ministers only?

ChumpDumper
12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
So board Republicans are pissed off that Democrats aren't really that pissed off about Obama's choosing a guy from Saddleback Church and not Brokeback Church.

balli
12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
so is this sentiment held for ministers only?

Not for me, but hey, at least most people who live in mansions, know and are resigned to the fact that they're scum. Hypocrisy bites.

doobs
12-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Have you ever worked with a serious non profit before? If long hours for shitty pay is being lazy, then yeah I guess you're right. If a real job is only one where you work in an office and clock out at 5, then yeah maybe you're right.

I'm sure you think highly of your profession, but your post is fairly stupid.

Dude. You were the one who was acting like Obama "donated to charity" because he chose not to work in a big law firm. I was only making the point that Obama probably would not have been very good at a big law firm. At this point in his career, the only way he would have been making tons of money is if he were a partner in a big law firm.

I guess you'll just have to take my word for it, but it's highly unusual--in a bad way--for someone to be successful at Harvard Law School and not do a prestigious clerkship or work at a prestigious law firm. It just doesn't make any sense, unless that person knows he doesn't want to be a lawyer.

Obama clearly did not have a taste for practicing law. Just like Bill Clinton. Obama wanted to be a politician. Just like Bill Clinton. And Obama's decision not to work at a big law firm does NOT represent his donation to charity. It represents him doing what he wanted to do. Obama did not sacrifice.

balli
12-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I actually think Obama's fairly lazy. I don't think he would have cut it as a lawyer in a big firm.
You are one dumb motherfucker. ^ That's sig. worthy stupidity right there.

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Dude. You were the one who was acting like Obama "donated to charity" because he chose not to work in a big law firm. I was only making the point that Obama probably would not have been very good at a big law firm. At this point in his career, the only way he would have been making tons of money is if he were a partner in a big law firm.

I guess you'll just have to take my word for it, but it's highly unusual--in a bad way--for someone to be successful at Harvard Law School and not do a prestigious clerkship or work at a prestigious law firm. It just doesn't make any sense, unless that person knows he doesn't want to be a lawyer.

Obama clearly did not have a taste for practicing law. Just like Bill Clinton. Obama wanted to be a politician. Just like Bill Clinton. And Obama's decision not to work at a big law firm does NOT represent his donation to charity. It represents him doing what he wanted to do. Obama did not sacrifice.

No no no, you think he's lazy. Don't try to come back and make an entirely different point now. You said it plain and clear above. Its pretty hard to misinterpret someone saying "He's lazy". Its clear he didn't take your line of work therefor he's obviously lazy even if the route he took meant just as hard if not harder work.

Lazy!

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
so is this sentiment held for ministers only?

What sentiment? Is my sentiment about ministers directed only to ministers? Yes, I'd say so. Do you see why?

ChumpDumper
12-19-2008, 03:43 PM
No one who campaigns for two years straight can be called lazy.

I'm amazed McCain made it through.

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
No one who campaigns for two years straight can be called lazy.

I'm amazed McCain made it through.

They can if they've never had a clerkship.

doobs
12-19-2008, 03:48 PM
No no no, you think he's lazy. Don't try to come back and make an entirely different point now. You said it plain and clear above. Its pretty hard to misinterpret someone saying "He's lazy". Its clear he didn't take your line of work therefor he's obviously lazy even if the route he took meant just as hard if not harder work.

Lazy!

You know what I was responding to. You were acting like his time was worth something, and therefore he was contributing to charity. I guess I could clarify for you: as a lawyer, Obama is lazy. That's relevant, because you were talking about him making a lot of money as a lawyer. Given the strange professional choices he made coming out of law school, I'm quite confident that he wouldn't have made a lot of money as a lawyer. I really believe that.

He was born to be a politician, so that's what he did. He may work hard at that, I don't know. And, by the way, you shouldn't try to change it around by spouting nonsense about selfless community organizing and how "hard" it is.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-19-2008, 03:50 PM
What sentiment? Is my sentiment about ministers directed only to ministers? Yes, I'd say so. Do you see why?well i'm frankly not interested in the blathering you and whoever were going back and forth about. i was just focusing on that sentence i quoted from you. so you have no resentment for, or whatever it is you have against ministers, towards other people that live in mansions?

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 04:34 PM
well i'm frankly not interested in the blathering you and whoever were going back and forth about. i was just focusing on that sentence i quoted from you. so you have no resentment for, or whatever it is you have against ministers, towards other people that live in mansions?

So you have no interest in the context of my statments yet you're asking me for the context of my statements? You should read what already posted because your answer is there.

MannyIsGod
12-19-2008, 04:38 PM
You know what I was responding to. You were acting like his time was worth something, and therefore he was contributing to charity. I guess I could clarify for you: as a lawyer, Obama is lazy. That's relevant, because you were talking about him making a lot of money as a lawyer. Given the strange professional choices he made coming out of law school, I'm quite confident that he wouldn't have made a lot of money as a lawyer. I really believe that.

He was born to be a politician, so that's what he did. He may work hard at that, I don't know. And, by the way, you shouldn't try to change it around by spouting nonsense about selfless community organizing and how "hard" it is.

Something doesn't have to be "hard" in order for it to take hard work to be accomplished. Hard work that many don't want to do. Its quite obvious and is made more so by each one of your posts how highly you hold your profession in regard, but that doesn't mean it holds some kind of nobility that other professions fail to achieve.

You can think whatever you want of Obama as a lawyer or prospective lawyer but to think that the road wasn't paved for Obama to make a good deal of money considering his resume is just flat out stupid. Then again, is calling him lazy.

Wild Cobra
12-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I’m sorry if my level of evidence is more than yours.
I see I missed proofreading that sentence. Let me clarify. I meant to say the level of evidence I require to form opinions and facts seems to be at a higher requirement.