PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War Online

LnGrrrR
12-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Holy shit they need to fix the matchmaking... I can not believe they'd come out with matchmaking this poor.

balli
12-18-2008, 12:18 AM
I can't believe they're trying to sell new maps and content already when they haven't even fixed the most basic of lag/matchmaking problems. It's just ridiculous. I can't believe I wasted $60 on this shit game.

In just a few weeks Gears 2 has dropped to #4 on Live, behind Halo and both Call of Duty's. They have nobody to blame but themselves. Fucking loser ass at Epic.

baseline bum
12-18-2008, 12:25 AM
I can't believe they're trying to sell new maps and content already when they haven't even fixed the most basic of lag/matchmaking problems. It's just ridiculous. I can't believe I wasted $60 on this shit game.

In just a few weeks Gears 2 has dropped to #4 on Live, behind Halo and both Call of Duty's. They have nobody to blame but themselves. Fucking loser ass at Epic.

There's no way Epic could make another good GOW in a year. I don't know why they even tried to release a sequel so soon. The only times a developer can get away with that is on sports games since they change very little year to year. 1 year is way too short to make a game like that unless it's just a map pack of the first.

LnGrrrR
12-18-2008, 12:29 AM

No doubt. I mainly play with my four friends in either Horde mode or just us four playing. Not only is the matchmaking time fucking completely ridiculous, but once you get done, you have to go through the bs all over again!

Call of Duty 4 has been out for over a YEAR now... you're telling me that they didn't look at that matchmaking? No one said, "Hey, this 'join a game' immediately' thing looks smart! And what's that? Lobbies where you can stick around and play with the same people you like?" Yeesh.

IronMexican
12-18-2008, 01:14 AM
It's not the matchmaking that pissed me off, but the weak ass shot-gun and unstoppable chainsaw.

balli
12-18-2008, 01:31 AM
It's not the matchmaking that pissed me off, but the weak ass shot-gun and unstoppable chainsaw.
That's pretty much why I quit. I could deal with the matchmaking if I thought it was a process that led to a good game. But I got sick of having people lag into me with the insta-chainsaw of death. And reasonably, a good shotgun like in the OG Gears, could've mitigated the chainsaw problem a little bit. But fuck, as is, it's just a bad combo.

It's especially bullshit because this game was heavily marketed as a supposedly great multiplayer game. And reviews across the board just gushed about the multiplayer. And it's all Epic talked about the week it dropped. And people bought it because they believed all the hype and reviews about the multiplayer being so good. And as it turns out, the multiplayer feels like some tacked on, lazy ass, shit, that had potential, but otherwise, is worse than mediocre. And everybody hates it, so it's re-sale value isn't worth shit. I passed up 2k9 for this... Fuck.

Trainwreck2100
12-18-2008, 02:18 AM
That's pretty much why I quit. I could deal with the matchmaking if I thought it was a process that led to a good game. But I got sick of having people lag into me with the insta-chainsaw of death. And reasonably, a good shotgun like in the OG Gears, could've mitigated the chainsaw problem a little bit. But fuck, as is, it's just a bad combo.

It's especially bullshit because this game was heavily marketed as a supposedly great multiplayer game. And reviews across the board just gushed about the multiplayer. And it's all Epic talked about the week it dropped. And people bought it because they believed all the hype and reviews about the multiplayer being so good. And as it turns out, the multiplayer feels like some tacked on, lazy ass, shit, that had potential, but otherwise, is worse than mediocre. And everybody hates it, so it's re-sale value isn't worth shit. I passed up 2k9 for this... Fuck.

Reviews for multiplayer can never be trusted, Madden was reviewed without the freeze glitch occuring to the reviewer so they said it was top notch when it wasn't. And the GTA4 multiplayer was supposed to be awesome, when its really subpar.

jman3000
12-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Reviews for multiplayer can never be trusted, Madden was reviewed without the freeze glitch occuring to the reviewer so they said it was top notch when it wasn't. And the GTA4 multiplayer was supposed to be awesome, when its really subpar.

the first 30 minutes i played the gta4 MP i thought it was awesome. quickly after, however, i thought it was kinda boring and cheap.

dirk4mvp
12-18-2008, 02:35 AM
I'd be able to deal with the chainsaw if only they'd fix that fucking if-you-are-in-a-fifty-foot-radius-your-ass-will-be-laying-on-the-ground-wobbling-for-a-good-ten-seconds smoke grenade. Easily the most annoying thing about the game.

The shotgun isn't as weak as most people try to make it out to be.

BlackSwordsMan
12-18-2008, 08:25 AM
sad
Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (based on UU’s)
1 Halo 3
2 CoD: World at War
3 Call of Duty 4
4 Gears of War 2
5 GTA IV
6 Left 4 Dead
7 Madden NFL 09
8 Fallout 3
9 FIFA 09
10 Fable II

LnGrrrR
12-18-2008, 08:49 AM
I don't mind the smoke grenade, because you can get up quickly if you button mash. I hate the very narrow radius of the shotgun, and the hit detection. Shot to the head with a shotgun? Insta-kill. Three shots to the back from a step away while they are busy chainsawing someone? No death. Go figure.

LnGrrrR
12-18-2008, 08:50 AM
sad
Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (based on UU’s)
1 Halo 3
2 CoD: World at War
3 Call of Duty 4
4 Gears of War 2
5 GTA IV
6 Left 4 Dead
7 Madden NFL 09
8 Fallout 3
9 FIFA 09
10 Fable II

I'm pissed about Left 4 Dead. Is it a fun game? Sure. Is it ridiculously overhyped? Sure is. Four fucking maps? FOUR?!?

The single player is boring... no story at all. The companion mode is fun, but when there's a vs which is nearly the same as companion, why play companion or single-player?

They need to release new maps, and they better be low priced.

BlackSwordsMan
12-18-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm pissed about Left 4 Dead. Is it a fun game? Sure. Is it ridiculously overhyped? Sure is. Four fucking maps? FOUR?!?

The single player is boring... no story at all. The companion mode is fun, but when there's a vs which is nearly the same as companion, why play companion or single-player?

I played the demo and wondered wtf everyone else was smoking.

leemajors
12-18-2008, 12:21 PM
left 4 dead pc content = free. FPS' will always be better on a pc.

balli
12-18-2008, 12:53 PM
FPS' will always be better on a pc.
That's true, but since a good gaming rig will cost you 3-4 times what a console will, I use a 360. I'd love to become a PC gamer, but it really doesn't seem that much cooler that it'd be worth all the pricey hardware.

leemajors
12-18-2008, 01:42 PM
That's true, but since a good gaming rig will cost you 3-4 times what a console will, I use a 360. I'd love to become a PC gamer, but it really doesn't seem that much cooler that it'd be worth all the pricey hardware.

decent hardware really isn't that expensive. you can still play orange box games pretty well on 2 year old dirt cheap hardware, then upgrade piece by piece when needed.

ClingingMars
12-18-2008, 06:14 PM
the only fun GOW2 provides me anymore is Horde mode.

-Mars

Creepn
12-19-2008, 07:44 AM

The question is what are YOU smoking? That game is not overhyped. It didnt get as nearly as much publicity as other big name games get. With only 4 maps, that was enough to keep my ass occupied. 4 LONG ass maps. Takes about 3-4 hours to finish one map.

Its a ZOMBIE game, it doesnt need a big ass story. Zombies get infected, your trapped, must survive. Thats how it is with all zombie shit. If you was playing the campaign for the popcorn-eating theatrical experience then I can see why you think its boring. Fortunatly for me, Im playing the game to blast zombie brains over the walls and blowing off zombie limbs.

I dont see how you can complain about the versus mode. Thats the mode I only ever play on.

LnGrrrR
12-19-2008, 08:09 AM
The question is what are YOU smoking? That game is not overhyped. It didnt get as nearly as much publicity as other big name games get. With only 4 maps, that was enough to keep my ass occupied. 4 LONG ass maps. Takes about 3-4 hours to finish one map.

Its a ZOMBIE game, it doesnt need a big ass story. Zombies get infected, your trapped, must survive. Thats how it is with all zombie shit. If you was playing the campaign for the popcorn-eating theatrical experience then I can see why you think its boring. Fortunatly for me, Im playing the game to blast zombie brains over the walls and blowing off zombie limbs.

I dont see how you can complain about the versus mode. Thats the mode I only ever play on.

I'm not complaining about the vs mode... that's the best mode. But why play single player or campaign if you can just play vs?

I assumed there would be SOME indepedent use to the single player. It wasn't, AFAIK, advertised like Unreal III, where it pretty much said, "Hey, get online or this game will suck." lol

When it's good, it's REALLY good. However, the maps only take me about an hour to get through with friends, and we've played those four maps about 10 times a piece, if not more. And for some reason, it's a pain in the ass to host your own map, so you're usually joining someone else's. The only problem is that 90% of the people are playing the No Mercy campaign.

TwAnKiEs
01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Here's an update:

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=650739

Bout damn time! :makemyday