PDA

View Full Version : Live and Die by the Three...

Yogurt210
12-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Spurs live and die by that damn three point shot. That is how the season has been. We shouldnt have top rely that much on a three point shot.

More slashing from Tony and Manu please.

please NBA gods, send a slasher our way, or a athletic big who can dunk.
it kinda sucks when the opnly person dunking the ball is Bonner.

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2008, 12:29 AM
we've always lived and died by the 3, it's nothing new..

you're just noticing it tonight, because we missed them..

sa_butta
12-18-2008, 12:36 AM
It just seems we should have been more aggressive with the lead. We had them over the limit in fouls. We just didn't need the 3's we needed to be aggressive. Im so frustrated with this loss. I was still pissed even at the 3's we were making because they shot early and often from beyond the arc.

timvp
12-18-2008, 12:39 AM
I agree with the sentiment overall but tonight they had wide open shots they had to knock down. When the Hornets are sagging into the paint and you have players paid to hit threes open on the perimeter, those are shots you have to take.

sa_butta
12-18-2008, 12:40 AM
It just pains me to see us not be able to take care of a lead. I though at times even though they were open it was rushed and too early.

usckk
12-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Spurs live and die by that damn three point shot. That is how the season has been. We shouldnt have top rely that much on a three point shot.

This can be said for many teams in the NBA. I don't think it's a Spurs problem. Put simply, when the shots aren't falling for the team, that team probably doesn't have a good chance of winning.

If a team has a good post players, there's two ways to play them: 1) Play man to prevent 3 pointers or 2) You form a wall inside can FORCE 3 pointers.

Today strategy 2 worked. But in other games teams would play 1, and we would kill them with our shooting.

However, the Spurs need to work on getting to the line. Not only do you get free points, you change the pace of the game, which is a good thing for the Spurs because they like to play slow.

officer
12-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Spurs are becoming a 3 point team...that is a good thing...

spurs out

itzsoweezee
12-18-2008, 02:02 AM
the spurs are dead last in free throw attempts per game in the league.

this is definitely not a good thing.

dastrey
12-18-2008, 02:05 AM
There is a difference between chucking 3's and wide open 3's after a play. The game would have been a blowout had either Finley, Mason, or Bonner showed up.

mrspurs
12-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Dude you stole my thread...............................But your right. We live and die from beyond the arc. And in this league its a slow death.

mrspurs
12-18-2008, 09:23 AM

You dont see many fouls from beyond the arc.

tonylongoriafan
12-18-2008, 09:41 AM
i thought this was the UTSA basketball thread...those fuckers shoot like 30 three pointers a game

TheProfessor
12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I agree with the sentiment overall but tonight they had wide open shots they had to knock down. When the Hornets are sagging into the paint and you have players paid to hit threes open on the perimeter, those are shots you have to take.
+1 Bonner had room to get that shot off all night, and the percentages say you take advantage of that. My only concern is that this becomes a habit for Bonner in big games. If the Spurs are going anywhere this year, we need him to step up. Better he gets used to that pressure now and adjusts.

kace
12-18-2008, 12:46 PM

especially with tim, tony and manu as first scoring options. their respective offensive game (post up and drive) shoul bring us a lot of FT.

I'm OK with Bonner having the green light, but when he's really open after TP, manu or tim get some attention. not everytime he has the ball in his hands in the possession and his opponent is some few feets in front of him.

i wonder if Pop is trying things because i really don't see why tony on the PnR, tim at the post or manu doing his thing don't stay our main options on offense on money time.

xtremesteven33
12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
This loss hurt. Reminds me of Game 1 vs the Lakers last year. Dominating the pace of the game the whole way except the last 3-4 minutes.

It seems like the spurs miss the "Nail in the Coffin" kind of play. They play too conservative too much and thats what hurts them at times. It sucks also that the whole team was energized due to the milestone that Paul accomplished so that didnt help the spurs any.

Overall, this team is experienced. By now theyve forgotten about it and look to take out thier fustration on the Magic.

Bender
12-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Bonner was due for an off night. He played pretty well on D and rebounding though, so it's not like he deserved to be yanked or anything. He has the green light to shoot per Pop, and that's what he did.

He didn't turn timid and "disappear"

Yogurt210
10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
just thought I'd bump this after tonight..

hater
10-29-2009, 10:00 PM
so can we agree Spurs will win all their home games this season?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2009, 10:01 PM
We died by getting worked on the boards tonight.

eyeh8u
if we turn into last seasons team, it will suck

Yogurt210
well I think we did ok..just the flow of the game was always with the deng bulls.

peskypesky
10-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Blair needs to play more than 12 minutes.

Yogurt210
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Blair needs to play more than 12 minutes.

I am with you on that one.

Agloco
10-29-2009, 10:14 PM
We died by getting worked on the boards tonight.

+1

Didn't seem like the Spurs boxed out very well in the first half.

Hooks
12-29-2011, 10:08 PM
I totally forgot about this

TE
12-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Our shots just didn't fall, and the Rocket's shot fell.

Trainwreck2100
12-29-2011, 10:12 PM
difference between tonight an last year was they probably would have tried putting up 30 three's anyway.

Brutalis
12-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Pop said once and I do not quote, if you're open shoot it, even if you're open 30 times.

timvp
12-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Only 17 three-point attempts.

Dumb bump.