PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Paul Steals The Show Against Spurs, Breaks NBA Record

duncan228
12-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Paul steals the show against Spurs, breaks NBA record (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Paul_steals_the_show_against_Spurs_breaks_NBA_reco rd.html)
By Jeff McDonald

NEW ORLEANS — It was a rough week for former Spurs in the NBA record book.

First, Denver's Carmelo Anthony joined George Gervin as the only player in league history to score as many as 33 points in a quarter. Then, on Wednesday night, New Orleans' Chris Paul erased Alvin Robertson's NBA-record steals streak — against Robertson's old team, no less.

Paul finished with three steals in the Hornets' 90-83 victory over the Spurs at New Orleans Arena, giving him at least one steal in 106 consecutive games. Paul recorded his record-snapping steal with 3:43 left in the first half, when he got a hand on a Tony Parker pass intended for Tim Duncan.

Officials paused the game at the next dead ball to acknowledge Paul's feat. Perhaps nobody in the building was more impressed with the record than New Orleans coach Byron Scott, who as a member of the Los Angeles Lakers was a contemporary of Robertson's.

Robertson set the old mark between Nov. 6, 1985 and Dec. 29, 1986.

“He's always around that ball somewhere,” Scott said of Paul. “It's a lot like Alvin when he played. He was like a magnet. Chris is the same way.”

Though Spurs coach Gregg Popovich probably would have preferred Paul's streak to end Wednesday, he was happy to see a player, in this offense-obsessed age, recognized for his defensive skills.

“He's been such a good player offensively, and when that happens, most fans recognize that about players,” Popovich said. “(Paul's record) brings attention to what he does at the other end of the floor. I think it's great, because he deserves credit for it.”

Milestone day: With 11 rebounds, Duncan now has 10,006 for his career, becoming one of only six players to have at least 18,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 2,000 blocks.

“It really means I'm getting older,” Duncan said. “I'm glad I can reach goals like that and put a couple more years under my belt.”

Meanwhile, Spurs swingman Michael Finley had a hallmark day, too, playing in his 1,000th regular-season game.

Stojakovic sits: The Hornets played without sharpshooting starting forward Peja Stojakovic, who developed back spasms after Wednesday morning's shootout. Devin Brown, one of four former Spurs on the New Orleans roster, drew his first start of the season in Stojakovic's place.

Still the one: The Spurs beat the Hornets in seven games in last season's Western Conference semifinals. Scott said he wouldn't be surprised if the road back to the conference finals went through the Spurs again this season.

“I still look at them as one of the best teams in the West,” Scott said. “I think after the Lakers, they're still the other team to beat. I don't think a lot of people are giving them enough credit. A lot of people just say they're too old, their time has passed. I don't see it. Come playoff time, you're still going to have to see them.”

mrspurs
12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Way togo CP3. He's the best point guard on the planet and he and everyone knows it.