View Full Version : Former Astro Dave Smith dead at 53

Spurminator
12-18-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6170450.html

Baseball loses one of its true good guys

Ex-reliever known for his kindness, cool

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Dec. 18, 2008, 12:15AM

http://imagec11.247realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif (http://oascentral.chron.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/chron.com/news/front/story/548543019/Position3/default/empty.gif/714c596e2b556a6c4a31344144436562?x)

http://www.chron.com/photos/1999/10/01/14441000/260xStory.jpg
Chronicle file

Former Astros reliever Dave Smith was known for his "surfer" personality and for saving a lot of Astros wins. Smith died of a heart attack on Wednesday. He was 53.

Former Astros reliever Dave Smith was a giving person, and he made sure his younger teammates learned to value others as they adjusted to life in the majors.

Smith’s name is atop or near the top of several of the Astros’ relief categories. But as his former teammates coped with his death Wednesday, they didn’t talk about his 199 saves for the Astros or his team records for appearances (562), relief wins (53), relief innings (760) or most games finished (400).

Instead, Smith’s friends and former teammate remembered the former San Diego State pitcher’s generous nature and cool California demeanor after he died of a heart attack Wednesday at age 53.

Smith’s mark extended far beyond the mound and into clubhouses, restaurants and airports throughout America.

“He was probably one of the most giving people I ever met,” former Astros reliever Charlie Kerfeld said of Smith via phone Wednesday. “He was probably known around the league as the best tipper around the league. (The news of his death) is a tough one. You ain’t supposed to go this early.”

Smith played with the Astros from 1980 through 1990 before spending the final two years of his career with the Chicago Cubs.

“Smitty was unbelievably generous,” said Astros broadcaster Jim Deshaies, who played five seasons with Smith. “He gave great tips.”

Always primed for a good laugh or prank, Smith also took his leadership role seriously. Kerfeld realized as much as a rookie in 1985 when he found his locker next to Smith’s.

“I remember the first thing he told me,” Kerfeld said. “He said, ‘Charlie, always treat everybody right because the same people you see on the way up are going to be the same people that you’ll see on the way down.’ He was correct with that advice he gave me.”

A key member of the 1980 and 1986 Astros clubs that reached the National League Championship Series, Smith is the third pitcher from the 1980 Astros club to die in the last two years. The others are Joe Niekro and Vern Ruhle.

“He was a very tough competitor,” Astros president of baseball operations Tal Smith, the general manager of the 1980 club, said of Smith. “He was fearless on the mound and went out and had a great career. Until Billy Wagner broke his (Astros saves) record, he was our all-time saves leader.

“He had a very, very fine career. He was very competitive, very well-liked by his teammates. This is certainly a tough loss.”

Although the Richmond, Calif., native was extremely competitive, his demeanor off the mound was much calmer.

“It brings back a ton of memories,” Kerfeld said. “Our lockers were right next to each other for all the years I was there. He was a great teammate. He always seemed to be able to take things in stride probably better than all of us.

“A California dude, that was what he was. He would relax and let things happen. It shakes you up a little bit. You realize how short life is and how you should enjoy every moment of it.”

Dave Smith handed me a baseball at a game when I was nine years old.

He had been warming up in the bullpen and two kids sitting next to me were badgering him to give one of them the ball when he was done warming up. I didn't say anything... I wanted a ball too, but I didn't want to be annoying.

When he was finished warming up, he walked over and handed me the ball and did not acknowledge the other two kids. The ball is still on the dresser in my old room.

FromWayDowntown
12-18-2008, 01:01 PM
That's a great anecdote, Spurm.

RIP Dave Smith.