PDA

View Full Version : John Salmons

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Sacramento appears to be a seller in the trade market and Brad Miller is the name being discussed, but Salmons still has 3 years left on his contract after this year and might be a contract Sacramento wants to dump before 2010. This is a complete guess on my part as far as his availability goes but I'm basing it off of the cap clearing trades Sac-town has made recently with Bibby and Artest.

He fits the mold for what San Antonio needs and in addition wants in all of their players. He is known as a team player with a very strong bball I.Q. and can play point-forward at times. He's also got decent height and is an above average defender, basically a poor man's Paul Pierce. Everyone has been discussing how unproductive SA has been at small forward and Bowen's declining D.

If Sacramento is willing to part with him for deals that either expire this year or next (this is nothing more than a hypothetical), what would everyone think about him? This is probably an unpopular view but I think they should give George Hill if that's what it takes, however Sacramento didn't want any sort of asset other than cap relief in exchange for Bibby and Artest. Parker Manu and Salmons are all guys who see the court extremely well and would play well together, plus they could go back to a Parker-Manu-Bowen starting lineup since Mason and Salmons would be enough offense off the bench.

What does everyone else think of Salmons?

naico
12-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Wasn't he drafted by the Spurs before the Claxton trade?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Wasn't he drafted by the Spurs before the Claxton trade?

yes he was I didn't know that however it doesn't surprise me because of how much the Spurs value court vision and a team first mentality in all of their players.

T Park
12-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Another wing? What is this, new York?

SenorSpur
12-18-2008, 02:04 PM
I've admired his game for a couple of seasons. It's amazing at how far he's progressed. I'd gladly take him over Udoka or Finley. However, it's tough to imagine any trades scenarios with Sac-town.

Rogue
12-19-2008, 09:02 AM
I think Bonzi Wells is way better than salmons, at least Bonzi is a lot heavier than him. Bonzi played extremely great against us in the series of 06, and that had definitely increased his market value, but that fool refused the 36m/5yr offer from kings and accepted houson's 5m/2yr contract instead. This season that guy even didn't get an LLE from any NBA team. I bet our LLE is still richer than the maxium of CBA, but why the hell did he choose to play in CBA?

TDMVPDPOY
12-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Another wing? What is this, new York?

no bitch, this is spur-taaaaaaaa

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I've admired his game for a couple of seasons. It's amazing at how far he's progressed. I'd gladly take him over Udoka or Finley. However, it's tough to imagine any trades scenarios with Sac-town.

Agreed

mexicanjunior
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM

Agreed, Salmons would fill the SF position nicely and definitely help offensively. Too bad we probably don't have anything Sacremento would want outside of Parker, Duncan and Ginoboli.

Bruno
12-19-2008, 01:36 PM
No, his contract goes beyond 2010 and he won't get enough offensive touches to justify taking his contract.
With the addition of Mason, Hill and the raise of Bonner, I do think Spurs have enough offensive threat. I don't think it's the moment for Spurs to do some kind of trades (unless it's a no brainer). Spurs' FO should wait at least one month, to see how the team will roll with everyone at 100%. Wait and see.

DrHouse
12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Salmons is a very underrated player. He absolutely lit Kobe up on offense and defense the last few games we've played against them. I think he'd do very well in either the Spurs or Lakers system.

eisfeld
12-19-2008, 02:18 PM
As much as I like Salmons style I have to say that getting him would not pay off. As someone stated before, he won't get many touches too be really effective. What the Spurs need is a slight change in their offensive scheme when some players are struggling and they're be fine then.

bigdog
12-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I absolutely love Salmons' game, and I wish the Spurs would have never traded his rights, he has become a hell of a player, buttttttttt we don't need a wing right now. Even though Finley is old and Udoka has sucked so far this year, They are still more than capable of providing offense along with Mason, Ginobili and Hill.

We need a big. I like Tolliver but I don't see the need for another guy that shoots from the outside. We have enough shooters. I want to see another guy that can play alongside Tim up front, and when Tim heads to the bench, have another low post presence. We need a big!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
I think a lot of you might be right that they do not need a wing and that they have enough offense, however, Salmons is at this point in time a better defender than Bowen or any other perimeter defender on the Spurs. DrHouse already told all of us he lit Kobe up on both sides of the court, which shows us how good a defender he is, plus we all know players get better at defense after a few months under Popovich. I honestly had no idea SA drafted him when I started the thread, I just saw a certain player that would fit in well with the Spurs at a position they haven't been productive at this year, and a player that could possibly be acquired given the King's yearning to cut payroll.

His contract does run through 2010, but it's a 5 million dollar contract, if they're entering 2010 free agency with a great 4th or 5th scoring option with a $5 million expiring deal, it wouldn't be a bad thing, it would take probably a maxed out mid level exception with 4-5 years on it to get a player of Salmon's caliber in free agency anyway. Also, Popovich and Duncan will almost be retired by then if not that year, if they need to compromise 5million 2010 cap space to round out their perimeter this year and get someone who defends Kobe extremely well (Bowen cannot defend him well anymore) which improves their odds at returning to the finals, then they should do it IMO because Duncan isn't going to be around much past 2010 and the Spurs might not be contending in the year's following his retirement (that is not meant to be a cheap shot at Spurs fans or anything it's just my indifferent view).

Allanon
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
John Salmons indeed lit up Kobe and the Lakers recently.

But the Spurs have like a million guards already, enough is enough. If Salmons was 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier, he'd be the perfect Spur.

Brad Miller or Spencer Hawes + John Salmons in trade for 1 of the big 3 (that I won't name) would be pretty nice though. :stirpot:

Steve-O-Matic
12-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't see Sacto looking to dump Salmons. He's only making $5.1M, which is pretty cheap for a 19 PPG scorer and plus-defender. But just for grins, if the Kings DID want to move him and only required expiring contracts in return (doubt that, as they'd likely require future #1 picks and/or a foreign player's rights), you could make this work by sending them Finley, Udoka and Vaughn for Salmons (and possibly Bobby Brown since the Kings would need to clear a roster spot).

Not gonna happen though, unfortunately.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
John Salmons indeed lit up Kobe and the Lakers recently.

But the Spurs have like a million guards already, enough is enough. If Salmons was 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier, he'd be the perfect Spur.

Brad Miller or Spencer Hawes + John Salmons in trade for 1 of the big 3 (that I won't name) would be pretty nice though. :stirpot:

Kings won't trade Hawes, but if the Spurs got a center as athletic and big as he is paired with Duncan they'd be unbeatable. Miller is overpaid, but if they traded Hawes + Salmons + cap filler for Ginobili (it's obvious who's name it is lol) the Spurs would be unstoppable on defense. That's a fantasy trade though so it will never happen so this whole paragraph is pointless, yet I keep typing.

Allanon
12-19-2008, 05:22 PM
but if they traded Hawes + Salmons + cap filler for (he who is un-named) the Spurs would be unstoppable on defense.

I would be sincerely scared of the Spurs defense AND offense if they pair up Duncan + Hawes and had Salmons too. Both Hawes and Salmons are comfortable scoring on the inside or outside.

Thank god for this:

That's a fantasy trade though so it will never happen so this whole paragraph is pointless, yet I keep typing.

DPG21920
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Kings Salmons to Okie City?

Kings swingman John Salmons is believed to be drawing the most interest among the players who are potentially available. Two league sources said in recent days that Oklahoma City has expressed a strong interest in the seventh-year player. The Thunder has offered the $4.8 million expiring contract of veteran forward Joe Smith in the deal, although it is not known if Oklahoma City is willing to part with draft picks or perhaps a younger player in return. -- Sac Bee

If all they are interested in is expiring contracts and draft picks, the Spurs could get in on this. We have some nice second rounders.

jdiggy0424
02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
hes a great player, but he complains if he doesnt start

spurs need a defensive big man to help duncan on weak side defense not another wing

tp2021
02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Kings Salmons to Okie City?

Kings swingman John Salmons is believed to be drawing the most interest among the players who are potentially available. Two league sources said in recent days that Oklahoma City has expressed a strong interest in the seventh-year player. The Thunder has offered the $4.8 million expiring contract of veteran forward Joe Smith in the deal, although it is not known if Oklahoma City is willing to part with draft picks or perhaps a younger player in return. -- Sac Bee

If all they are interested in is expiring contracts and draft picks, the Spurs could get in on this. We have some nice second rounders.

Ime and JV wouldn't be enough to make the salaries match. And even then, who would mentor Hill?!

DPG21920
02-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Why not Fab + the Golden State 2nd rounder? I know we are already short on bigs, but Fab is not getting that much PT with Kurt playing so well anyways..

tp2021
02-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Why not Fab + the Golden State 2nd rounder? I know we are already short on bigs, but Fab is not getting that much PT with Kurt playing so well anyways..

Riding into the playoffs with the same number of bigmen as point guards does not make me feel very good.

DPG21920
02-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Ya, but I was kind of thinking "value". Even though Fab is nice to have around as insurance, would the Spurs not be getting more "value" and "utility" from Salmons if the Kings were willing to do that deal?

angelbelow
02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
it just depends.. im not sure what his contract is like but if we can trade udoka+fillers for him, i would. he would provide great scoring depth at SF. but i dont think we have anything to offer. I would even trade finley but again, i dont think the kings would be too interseted in that.

DPG21920
02-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Well what I posted said that Okie is offering Joe Smith and that Sac is listening. They are not looking for a player, just a good locker room guy who comes off the books. They are also looking for draft picks and I do not think anyone will offer a first rounder for Salmons and the Spurs have some of the best 2nd rounders coming up. Joe Smith does not really do anything for Sac that Oberto would not do.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Their need for a big man who can help on the weak side wouldn't be as bad if they had Salmon's perimeter defense starting at SF. IMO having good help defenders in the paint isn't as important as having good 1 on 1 perimeter defenders who can limit the amount of times the opposing perimeter player gets in the paint and make the opposing player work harder to get into the paint.

The Suns could have Ben Wallace (in his prime) and KG at power forward and center, but their help defense wouldn't matter because Nash's perimeter defense is so bad.