PDA

View Full Version : Malik Hairston is clutch

ChumpDumper
12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
He hit a last second three pointer to send today's game against Albuquerque into overtime. He then scored 11 and Marcus Williams added 7 as the only Toros scorers in OT as the Toros won 127-121.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800064

The internets feed was horrible so I didn't see much.

T Park
12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Nice....

Can't wait to see how he does with the big boys next year.

Rohirrim
12-18-2008, 05:36 PM
But is he whott clutch?

ChumpDumper
12-18-2008, 06:07 PM
He had some similar heroics in the Dakota OT game.

He's not taking too many of them, but he's 9-12 on three pointers this season.

naico
12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Yup saw it too. It's the second time he's done it now. Pretty impressive tonight if u take away some of his clutch TO's.

ChumpDumper
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah, they're already missing Ahearn as the others are forced to do a lot more ball handling.

naico
12-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah, they're already missing Ahearn as the others are forced to do a lot more ball handling.

Johnson actually looked scared having to bring the ball up..The Toros def. need a PG. Williams coasting every posession is not going to work every time.

misterx91578
12-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Nice....

Can't wait to see how he does with the big boys next year.
+1

Austin_Toros
12-18-2008, 06:17 PM
yeah hes been playing really well with marcus williams
tolliver has been quite good also

hopefully hairston or williams will get a call up soon!

Blackjack
12-18-2008, 06:41 PM
He hit a last second three pointer to send today's game against Albuquerque into overtime. He then scored 11 and Marcus Williams added 7 as the only Toros scorers in OT as the Toros won 127-121.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800064

The internets feed was horrible so I didn't see much.

Malik's a tough Detroit kid, both mentally and physically, so I can't say I'm too suprised. Well, maybe a little suprised that it was a three and not the mid-range shot where he's money, but that's great news if he's extended his range.:tu

He was pretty clutch at Oregon, and has a lot of tools, so I'm really hoping the Spurs eventually give him a shot with the big boys.

Steve-O-Matic
12-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Spurs might want to think about adding him to the roster soon because if he keeps playing like he has he's gonna get snapped up by some other NBA team.

tav1
12-18-2008, 06:51 PM
I was in and out of the game but eventually got fed up with the feed...sounds like a missed the entertaining stuff. My luck.

Obstructed_View
12-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Didn't Hairston hit a couple of buzzer beaters in preseason too?

Blackjack
12-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Didn't Hairston hit a couple of buzzer beaters in preseason too?

I don't remember any buzzer-beaters, but I'm pretty sure he came up with some clutch shots.

Obstructed_View
12-19-2008, 01:45 AM
I don't remember any buzzer-beaters, but I'm pretty sure he came up with some clutch shots.

Remember there's a buzzer at the end of the shot clock as well, so it's not just end of quarters I'm talking about.

Blackjack
12-19-2008, 01:54 AM
Remember there's a buzzer at the end of the shot clock as well, so it's not just end of quarters I'm talking about.

Oh, well in that case...

There were numerous "buzzer-beaters."

As a matter of fact, Hairston usually just holds the ball for 23 sec. on offense before he calmly scores. It's how he rolls.;)

Manufan909
12-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Malik's a tough Detroit kid, both mentally and physically, so I can't say I'm too suprised. Well, maybe a little suprised that it was a three and not the mid-range shot where he's money, but that's great news if he's extended his range.:tu

He was pretty clutch at Oregon, and has a lot of tools, so I'm really hoping the Spurs eventually give him a shot with the big boys.

Does the D-League use the NBA 3?

Blackjack
12-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Does the D-League use the NBA 3?

Yes.

mountainballer
12-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Malik is doing better and better. the danger of another team stealing him is growing. I hope the Spurs call him.

another story is Andre Brown. he delivers very good numbers, per 40 minutes adjusted he is by far the most productive Toros player, leading them in PPG, RPG and FG%.
Brown per 40 minutes: 22 PPG, 12 RPG on 65% FG
Tolliver per 40 minutes: 18 PPG, 8 RPG on 50%FG (including many 3s of course)

considering what Matt delivers and considering needs in size and athleticism, it looks as if currently Brown would cover more needs for the Spurs than Tolliver could. I don't think that Brown will immediately crack the Spurs big man rotation, but I would love to see him for some minutes at NBA level. maybe there is a little Leon Powe hidden in him.

Obstructed_View
12-19-2008, 09:09 AM
As a matter of fact, Hairston usually just holds the ball for 23 sec. on offense before he calmly scores. It's how he rolls.;)

That's a pretty idiotic statment. Well done. :sleep

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM
They have Clutch in D-league basketball? hahahahahaha Scrub thread..................

Kori Ellis
12-19-2008, 09:52 AM
They have Clutch in D-league basketball? hahahahahaha Scrub thread..................

Then don't post in it.

Scrub poster.

I'm sick of you trashing every D League thread and player. We get it - you don't like the D League. So stop going in every thread about it.

benefactor
12-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Then don't post in it.

Scrub poster.

I'm sick of you trashing every D League thread and player. We get it - you don't like the D League. So stop going in every thread about it.
:owned

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Then don't post in it.

Scrub poster.

Yes mam. You wont see another word from me and that other league any longer. No problem:king

Blackjack
12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
That's a pretty idiotic statment. Well done. :sleep

:lmao

Your response came off to me as you either being a dick, or a smartass, so I thought I'd return the favor. :smokin

If that wasn't the case, then color me retarded.:toast

ChumpDumper
12-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Hairston is playing some point tonight. Nothing special, just bringing it up.

anakha
12-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes mam. You wont see another word from me and that other league any longer. No problem:king

:lmao at the holier-than-thou douchebag getting exposed for what he is.

Obstructed_View
12-21-2008, 03:16 AM
:lmao

Your response came off to me as you either being a dick, or a smartass, so I thought I'd return the favor. :smokin

If that wasn't the case, then color me retarded.:toast

What color is retarded?

HarlemHeat37
12-21-2008, 03:31 AM
hopefully he gets called up soon..

I can't stand seeing Ime on the floor anymore, I've given up on him..let's try somebody else..

Obstructed_View
12-21-2008, 03:34 AM
You gotta find something to do with Udoka first. The Spurs ain't gonna buy him out and release him.

Blackjack
12-21-2008, 03:38 AM
What color is retarded?

Cat???:huh

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 09:09 AM
I'd love to see what Hairston can do on this level too. However, I'm not quite ready to give up on Ime to make that happen, just yet.

Obstructed_View
12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I am. Udoka's the first guy in Pop's doghouse that's actually been as bad as he seems. Bonner was never this bad. Elson was never this bad. Beno was never this bad.

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I am. Udoka's the first guy in Pop's doghouse that's actually been as bad as he seems. Bonner was never this bad. Elson was never this bad. Beno was never this bad.

Wonder what Ime's problem is?

Anyway, a question for those who have watched Malik perform in Austin?

Does anyone think Hairston could provide more of a contribution, offensively and defensively, than what we're currently getting out of Udoka?

Obstructed_View
12-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Absolutely. The question becomes how well he knows the defense. Mason has picked it up quickly; there's no reason to think Hairston can't do the same.

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Absolutely. The question becomes how well he knows the defense. Mason has picked it up quickly; there's no reason to think Hairston can't do the same.

OK. I recant my earlier statement. I'm in. I hope they can bring him one - especially if Ime's remains in the doghouse.

Obstructed_View
12-21-2008, 04:28 PM
OK. I recant my earlier statement. I'm in. I hope they can bring him one - especially if Ime's remains in the doghouse.

Again, one has to come up with a realistic way of getting rid of Udoka. Nobody's going to take him, and they wouldn't buy him out in a million years. They also need another big more desperately than they need another 2, even one who might be able to play the 3.

superbigtime
12-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Ime was interviewed by Schoening last night before the game. It was a little painful...Schoening asked Ime what he thought his role on the team was right now. Ime was a real professional. He said just be ready. Ime has the qualities I like in a Spur except for one thing...he's suckin! I wonder if Spurs could trade him for a pick and bring Hairston up.

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Again, one has to come up with a realistic way of getting rid of Udoka. Nobody's going to take him, and they wouldn't buy him out in a million years. They also need another big more desperately than they need another 2, even one who might be able to play the 3.

Assuming there is a roster spot open when they cut Ahearn, they don't need to do anything with Udoka right now,

Obstructed_View
12-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Assuming there is a roster spot open when they cut Ahearn, they don't need to do anything with Udoka right now,

Yeah, you're right. Only 14 on the roster right now. I say bring his ass up. There's nobody else in the pipeline that looks remotely ready. If the Spurs think Sims can play then they could try him, but if nothing else it seems maybe they should use the spot to lock Hairston up. If there's a reason not to I can't remember because I've been away from it for a week or so.

benefactor
12-21-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd take a second round pick for Ime in a heartbeat.

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, you're right. Only 14 on the roster right now. I say bring his ass up. There's nobody else in the pipeline that looks remotely ready. If the Spurs think Sims can play then they could try him, but if nothing else it seems maybe they should use the spot to lock Hairston up. If there's a reason not to I can't remember because I've been away from it for a week or so.

I would really hate for another team to get their mitts on Hairston. To that end, I agree with you. Unless they're planning on taking a look at Sims, and the time to do that would be now with Ian out, I say bring Hairston's ass up and give him a shot.

Blackjack
12-21-2008, 10:58 PM
I mentioned it awhile back, but if the Spurs are looking to deal Udoka, Portland's probably their best bet.

They've been interested in getting a veteran presence in the locker room, so Ime (having been a respected and acknowledged leader, in said locker room) would make a pretty cheap and seamless fit. Plus, to top it all off, he's basically Portland's equivalent to what Devin Brown is in the S.A. community.

Austin_Toros
12-21-2008, 11:41 PM
hopefully he gets called up soon..

I can't stand seeing Ime on the floor anymore, I've given up on him..let's try somebody else..

yeah im with you
id play hairston over ime any day of the week

bonner was never bad, beno was fairly bad, and elson became just plain bad
lol

Yorae
12-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Do you think Hairston will fare better than Tolliver? Maybe we could put Tolliver back to Austin and try Hairston?

timvp
12-22-2008, 02:19 AM
I disagree that Hairston would be more of a help to this team than Udoka. He could very well be the better player but Udoka is pretty useful ... as far as deep reserves go. His rebounding makes him a good small ball power forward. He can defend small forwards that like to post up. Udoka also has a solid amount of experience under his belt including some good run in some big games in the playoffs last season.

Udoka is having a bad season so far but he still fills a matchup void. Hairston looks like a pretty good D-League prospect but I think he needs a full year in Austin. He needs to break the power forward habits he had in college and expand his perimeter abilities. Next season, if he can play well in summer league and training camp, that's when I think Hairston could step into a Udoka-like role.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Spurs use that 15th roster spot. That they haven't used it on Hairston or M. Williams tells me they aren't blown away by their play in Austin.

Blackjack
12-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Do you think Hairston will fare better than Tolliver? Maybe we could put Tolliver back to Austin and try Hairston?

I don't think you'd have to worry about Hairston being so amped up, that his first three-point shot looks like something reserved for the raquetball court.:lol

Seriously though, if Hairston were able to get the minutes? There's a good possibilty. He's a pretty well-rounded player, with nice athleticism, and a good demeanor, but I don't see Pop giving him the minutes over the current players at his position.

I actually like Tolliver a lot. I really think he's got all the tools to be a good championship-level role-player. I'm just not too optimistic about him being that type of player this year. The game needs to slow down for him, which it should with time and experience, but that doesn't help the Spurs too much in the now.

An intelligent shooting-4 like Tolliver seems to be someone they'd like to keep in the pipeline, and Hairston could be too, (although I'm less sure about Malik) but what the Spurs do better than most is look at the big picture.

The Spurs unlike a lot of teams have a plan and a vision. They've got their own puzzle envisioned, and their pieces in the form of players.(Some of which they have the rights to, and some targeted as Mason was)

So while most of us see players we like, and get caught up in athleticism, or individual talent, the Spurs look for the right piece. Not a player they can adapt or cater to, but a player to fill a role and fit in. They play the odds, look for young enough vets, mix in a late 1st every now and then, and stick to the script in order to win now.

So while I like Hairston, and would like to see him given an opportunity, I'm not holding my breath.

He's not the first or last prospect I'm going to like, and I'm sure they'll be decisions I disagree with, but I'm pretty damn confident in this organization and it's vision.

Whatever the hell that is.:lol

Blackjack
12-22-2008, 03:40 AM
I disagree that Hairston would be more of a help to this team than Udoka. He could very well be the better player but Udoka is pretty useful ... as far as deep reserves go. His rebounding makes him a good small ball power forward. He can defend small forwards that like to post up. Udoka also has a solid amount of experience under his belt including some good run in some big games in the playoffs last season.

Udoka is having a bad season so far but he still fills a matchup void. Hairston looks like a pretty good D-League prospect but I think he needs a full year in Austin. He needs to break the power forward habits he had in college and expand his perimeter abilities. Next season, if he can play well in summer league and training camp, that's when I think Hairston could step into a Udoka-like role.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Spurs use that 15th roster spot. That they haven't used it on Hairston or M. Williams tells me they aren't blown away by their play in Austin.

The only thing I would have to disagree with is, Hairston having power forward habits that need to be broken.

He may have played a small-ball 4 at times in college, but his skill-set was that of a 3.

Malik does kind of remind me of a lighter Bonzi, (doesn't play quiet as "big" in the paint, and has a much better shot) so he can play a small-ball 4, but from how I saw him guard on the perimeter, and the mid-range shot (which he's apparently expanding to the 3) that he posesses, I don't see the power forward habits that really need to be broken.

Like I said, I pretty much agree with everything else you had to say, but if Ime (for whatever Pop's reasons) ends up stuck at the end of the bench, It would probably be better to see if Portland's open to making a deal.

With the way Mahinmi's going, a guy like Diogu might be a good way to go.

Bruno
12-22-2008, 08:27 AM
The D-League season has started for nearly one month and players have played about 10 games. How many players have been called up by a NBA team in that month ?

ZERO.

It's a league that is heavily scouted by NBA teams and none has come to the conclusion about a player "It's a great prospect, we want him with our team as soon as possible, we had to call him fast if we don't want that another team stole him to us."
Some NBA teams will try some D-League players in January with 10 days contract, others will do it after the trade deadline and maybe one of these players will become an useful NBA player but you had to keep it in perspective. D-League players are low risk low reward gambles : you don't invest a lot of money on them and 95% of the time they won't help at all your team.

I would like to see Spurs using their 15th open roster to try some D-League players but it's mainly because they have nothing else to do with it.

SenorSpur
12-22-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the take. A couple of questions:

Since Hairston obviously has more length and if he indeed has power forward habits, as you alluded to, wouldn't that make him an fit in the small-ball lineups that Pop has been utilizing, his inexperience notwithstanding?

If he continues to perform well, aren't you concerned with another team picking him up?

I agree, it will be interesting to see what the Spurs do with that 15th roster spot.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2008, 10:45 AM
From the little I've seen of Udoka this year, as well as watching his defense in the playoffs, I think Hairston can come in right now and be a better defender. He's almost certainly better than Udoka on the offensive end as well.

Bruno
12-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Hairston is the D-League performer of the week :
http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/performer_081222.html

And ***** *****! has a honorable mention.

Man In Black
12-22-2008, 01:26 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2008/12/jeff-mcdonald-s-21.html

Jeff McDonald: Spurs sign Hairston
December 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
Malik Hairston is a Spur again, for now.

The Spurs announced Monday they had signed Hairston, a second-round pick acquired in a draft day trade with the Suns last June. Hairston was the final cut in the Spurs' training camp over the summer.

In the time since, he has starred for the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental League, averaging 19.5 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.6 assists. He is the D-League's reigning player of the week, after averaging 24.7 points in three games last week.

It was not immediately clear if Hairston would be heading to San Antonio or remain on assignment with the Toros.

Thompson
12-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I mentioned it awhile back, but if the Spurs are looking to deal Udoka, Portland's probably their best bet.

They've been interested in getting a veteran presence in the locker room, so Ime (having been a respected and acknowledged leader, in said locker room) would make a pretty cheap and seamless fit. Plus, to top it all off, he's basically Portland's equivalent to what Devin Brown is in the S.A. community.

Can there be any combination of Udoka, Splitter's rights, Golden State's draft pick + cash, etc. that could pry Batum away from them (I kind of doubt it, they like him a lot, but I'm just wondering). Would you do such a trade (assume for a moment that the Spurs could get Splitter over here in a year or two)?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3416~866~3233&teams=24~22~22&te=&cash=22:24

This trade worked, but I doubt Portland would do it.