PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust decision help

phyzik
12-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, as some of you might have saw I got myself a new car (2009 G8 GT). Im trying to decide what exhaust I like better, Im split between 3 of them and thought Id ask what you all thought of the sound of each one.

First up, Corsa Mufflers with an x-pipe. Corsa is a big name when it comes to corvettes which the engine in my car is from the corvette (not the newest one) 6.0L L76 all-aluminum V8.

rp36pYAvPHE

Next is the Kooks system, from the headers all the way back to the mufflers and tips. Kind of a long video. Just let the video load and keep skipping ahead until you can hear it. They have several sound clips. Idle, WOT with windows up and down and cruising. Nice burnout at the end of the video too :hat

This is the most expensive one so not sure if I want it or not, almost $1,000.00

OVsbU93OOx4

Last one is a Borla exhaust with an x-pipe. This is probably the cheapest but it seems everyone with a V8 in Texas has a Borla or Magnaflow exhaust, I kind of want mine to sound different. Still, it doesnt sound bad at all!

6fKS8TUS6kg

All in all, I think Im leaning towards the Corsa exhaust but Im not to sure if it would be too loud or not and how bad the drone sounds inside of the car.

What do you think?

chreph
12-18-2008, 11:04 PM
I've only had borla exhausts and I love them. I could never talk my wife into getting an LS2 GTO but my plan was to throw some shorties with a borla on that. The only negative is that the drone was pretty loud ('04 V6 tiburon). Besides, there probably won't be all that many people putting exhausts on their G8 so it's not like every other G8 you see is going to sound like yours.

Not to hijack the thread, but here's what my next car will sound like... 2010 hyundai genesis coupe (310 hp V6 RWD).

TqizKbVPiT0

phyzik
12-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Just want to say, this car is FAST!! The video's dont show shit. There's another guy here in SA that I met who has just cold-air intake, a chip tune and exhaust who is running 12.6 in the 1/4mi. I dont mean to brag, Im just loving my new car! :downspin:

phyzik
12-18-2008, 11:17 PM
I've only had borla exhausts and I love them. I could never talk my wife into getting an LS2 GTO but my plan was to throw some shorties with a borla on that. The only negative is that the drone was pretty loud ('04 V6 tiburon). Besides, there probably won't be all that many people putting exhausts on their G8 so it's not like every other G8 you see is going to sound like yours.

Not to hijack the thread, but here's what my next car will sound like... 2010 hyundai genesis coupe (310 hp V6 RWD).

TqizKbVPiT0

Those Genesis are fucking sweet! they had some at the dealership I bought my car from (the 4-door). Hyundai has come a LONG way from back in the 90's. Big time sleeper car, eat up them sorry stangs! :tu

PakiDan
12-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Don't be kooky!! Get the Kooks!

phyzik
12-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Don't be kooky!! Get the Kooks!

I wont Lie Paki, its very tempting especially if I decide to go with forced induction.... Can I perhaps conivince you to sponsor my car and pay for the exhaust? :lol

TDMVPDPOY
12-18-2008, 11:59 PM
phyzik thats a really nice car u got there

i saw a few of them down here last year which is rebadged in america....

black is nice....

www.hsv.com.au <<< thats where u wanna be at

phyzik
12-19-2008, 12:06 AM
phyzik thats a really nice car u got there

i saw a few of them down here last year which is rebadged in america....

black is nice....

Thanks!

Yeah, the Holden Commodore HSV is sick!

P5Ct7Zs27mQ

I wish I could afford the kit to turn it into a commodore look-alike but for now Im just going for performance.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Great thread needs Kori to move it to the small penis forum.

TDMVPDPOY
12-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks!

I wish I could afford the kit to turn it into a commodore look-alike but for now Im just going for performance.

the front grills on the GT doesnt look nice at all, shouldve just kept it plain normal like the HSV....too much rice imo, loses its grunt appeal. Ive been in the monaro CV....that thing goes hard....

i remember the time they resurrected the monaro aka rebadge pontiac in america....427 block 12lt engine in the touring comp started lapping every car and pulling away from cars in the 400k+ range...fkn nice thing.

phyzik
12-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Great thread needs Kori to move it to the small penis forum.

Hate all you want but for less than $30,000.00 I hardly think its a penis extension, I measure up just fine, and Im not like those fucking pussy ass corvette drivers who baby their shit. If I dont want you to pass me, you wont. I didnt buy a V8 to drive it like a fucking corolla.

BruceBowenFan
12-19-2008, 12:16 AM
i would go with Corsa

Das Texan
12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Hate all you want but for less than $30,000.00 I hardly think its a penis extension, I measure up just fine, and Im not like those fucking pussy ass corvette drivers who baby their shit. If I dont want you to pass me, you wont. I didnt buy a V8 to drive it like a fucking corolla.

dont hate on a corolla.

mine gets used to the max son.

and will probably last longer mileage wise. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
aare u going to beef up ur car?

exterior wise?

phyzik
12-19-2008, 12:35 AM
dont hate on a corolla.

mine gets used to the max son.

and will probably last longer mileage wise. :lol

Do some research on the L76 motor, its bulletproof. I wont lie and say its going to outlast your motor especially with the way Im treating it but I dont plan on keeping the car more than 10 years which it will easily survive if taken care of.

Im not deluding myself into thinking this is going to be a 200k mile car. Thats not what I bought it for. I have a vehicle for that already. Having said that, this is one of the toughest engines in the world, I could put out over 600hp easily on this engine as a daily driver and not have a major problem if I take care of it, and thats with stock internals. Make no mistake, this isnt my daily driver. I have always wanted a muscle car that I can tinker with and have come to a point in my life that I can afford that luxury.

I wasnt hating on corolla, they are great cars! I was hating on the mid-life crysis assholes that buy a corvette and drive it like a granny car. Thats the stupidest trend in motorsports that I have ever seen!

BTW, I just did a 40 mile cruise and got 28mpg in my "gas guzzler" V8. :toast

phyzik
12-19-2008, 12:37 AM
aare u going to beef up ur car?

exterior wise?

Exterior is taking a back seat for now, I do want to "make it my own" so to speak but thats a few years from now to be honest unless I come across a great deal. The car looks good enough for what I wanted, I was more interested in price vs. performance when I bought it. You cant buy another vehicle in the states with this kind of power for the same price unless you buy used.

The only thing I plan on doing is going with some new rims and tires. The rims Im looking at are weight savers vs. the stock ones, Im not going chrome, that shit weighs a ton.

phyzik
12-19-2008, 12:53 AM
So Das Texan, lets quit the hate, I didnt start this thread to argue what car is better.... what exhaust do you think sounds better? Honestly!

SequSpur
12-19-2008, 01:21 AM
why do you want to change the exhaust? do u wantit sound like a fuckin rice burner? why change anything? i don't get it. my truck has a borla exhaust but that was brand new...

Das Texan
12-19-2008, 01:23 AM
So Das Texan, lets quit the hate, I didnt start this thread to argue what car is better.... what exhaust do you think sounds better? Honestly!

fuck if i know.

i dont give a flying fuck about exhausts, as long as it works thats all i care about.:lol

phyzik
12-19-2008, 01:23 AM
why do you want to change the exhaust? do u wantit sound like a fuckin rice burner? why change anything? i don't get it. my truck has a borla exhaust but that was brand new...

Did you even listen to the sound clips you midget?

Its a V8 for shits sake! Rice burner? LOL! I think you need to talk to Das Texan about that! :lol

phyzik
12-19-2008, 01:26 AM
fuck if i know.

i dont give a flying fuck about exhausts, as long as it works thats all i care about.:lol

OK, so your not into cars... why did you post on this thread, to hate?

All you have to do is listen and say what sounds better to you.

Das Texan
12-19-2008, 01:29 AM
OK, so your not into cars... why did you post on this thread, to hate?

All you have to do is listen and say what sounds better to you.

i'm only into some cars.

and ya i was just hating on the hating of corollas :lol

i dont give a fuck about exhausts even in the ones i like.

phyzik
12-19-2008, 01:31 AM
i'm only into some cars.

and ya i was just hating on the hating of corollas :lol

i dont give a fuck about exhausts even in the ones i like.

I wasnt hating on corolla, they are great cars! I was hating on the mid-life crysis assholes that buy a corvette and drive it like a granny car. Thats the stupidest trend in motorsports that I have ever seen!

Das Texan
12-19-2008, 01:33 AM
ya but after my initial post.

:hat

phyzik
12-19-2008, 01:33 AM
This thread has turned into a ricer cluster fuck with midgets.... please just post which one's you think sound better. I dont want a shitty sounding exhaust if the majority doesnt like it.

MiamiHeat
12-19-2008, 01:38 AM
sorry, i can't help. i drive a 1981 DMC-12 DeLorean

Beno Udrih
12-19-2008, 02:47 AM
In Slovenia, car drive you.

PakiDan
12-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I wont Lie Paki, its very tempting especially if I decide to go with forced induction.... Can I perhaps conivince you to sponsor my car and pay for the exhaust? :lol

I will pay for a portion, but you have to put a sticker on the rear quarter that says "Paki Packed my Muffler". Lets talk rates!

clambake
12-19-2008, 02:23 PM
why not buy an exhaust that bellows "Look at me!"

DisAsTerBot
12-19-2008, 02:29 PM
new cars with modified exhaust = i'm a tool, please point and laugh at me

sa_butta
12-19-2008, 02:39 PM
If you can afford it, go with the Kooks...I really liked the sound. If you want to save a bit and sound a bit different then go with the Corsa.

SequSpur
12-19-2008, 07:00 PM
dude, ease up on the midget bullshit, makes you're dick even smaller holmes.

i would go with the stock exhaust or the kooks. the borla sucks for that car, sounds more like a truck should sound instead of sporty. the other one sounds like a normal car.

pretty need car, looks like a bmw.... i will give you my opinion though... Pontiacs suck and that car is way overpriced, but still looks cool anyway

clambake
12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
will they still be able to hear the thumping bass?

MI21
12-21-2008, 04:04 AM
Thanks!

P5Ct7Zs27mQ

Ewww, HSV. Though to be fair, it's the people that drive them down here that put me off as much as the car itself. As for exhaust, go with whatever will give you a crackle and pop, with a throaty tone rather than the fucking drone coming from 90% of exhausted V8 cars on the road.

On a side note, smoked a 07 HSV in a 2.5L Turbo Nissan Stagea just yesterday :)

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Ewww, HSV. Though to be fair, it's the people that drive them down here that put me off as much as the car itself. As for exhaust, go with whatever will give you a crackle and pop, with a throaty tone rather than the fucking drone coming from 90% of exhausted V8 cars on the road.

the problem is the body of the vehicle is used on all models down to the family sedan lmao.....makes it look to common on the road imo....and dont forget with that kind of money you can buy a euro car........if prices of petrol continue to decline expect to see more of these on the road expecially from petrol head drivers.....

TDMVPDPOY
09-17-2009, 02:36 AM
bump oi phyzik, this article might interest you...
http://www.theage.com.au/drive/motor-news/exclusive-commodore-cop-cars-for-the-us-20090917-fs3b.html
http://images.theage.com.au/2009/09/17/736262/pont9L_m-420x0.jpg

General Motors says it is hopeful of winning a lucrative contract to supply re-badged Holden Commodores to US law enforcement agencies. By RICHARD BLACKBURN.

Holden could soon be exporting Commodores to the United States again.

The company’s billion dollar export program ground to a halt at the end of last year after Holden’s parent company, General Motors, axed the Pontiac brand in the United States. Holden was selling re-badged Commodores as Pontiac G8s in the States.

But in an exclusive interview with Drive.com.au at the Frankfurt motor show yesterday, General Motors boss Fritz Henderson said the company was making good progress with a plan to sell the Commodore to US law enforcement agencies.

“We’ve been working on a package for police applications. I just think that’s going to work. We’re pretty optimistic about it and that product will be sourced in Australia,” he said.

And he didn’t rule out a wider role for the car in General Motors’ plans going forward.

“It’s a global architecture, it gives us options in the future but right now you’d say, near term, no,” he said.

The law enforcement contract could prove lucrative for Holden, with some estimates suggesting the deal could involve tens of thousands of vehicles a year.

Holden executives are believed to have been working on a proposal to sell the car to the Los Angeles Police Department. The LAPD is looking for a replacement for its fleet of ageing Ford Crown Victoria sedans, which will be discontinued next year.

Other agencies, including the Canadian Mounties, are also believed to be showing interest.

Holden remains tight-lipped on the subject, though says it has continued to look at alternative export plans.

"Fritz [Henderson] is obviously intimately aware of Holden and our capabilities," says Holden spokesman Scott Whiffin. "It's fantastic to have this kind of endorsement from the guy in the big chair.

"When the Pontiac deal fell through we said then it was a shame, it was a great car, but understood the reasons for it. And we said then we would get up, dust ourselves off, and find other opportunities. And that work has pretty much been going on since that [Pontiac G8 axing] was announced."

Holden shipped 36,500 re-badged Commodores to the US last year - about two-thirds of the company's total exports and almost a third of its vehicle production. The deal was believed to be worth $1 billion.

Holden has been searching for alternative export programs ever since, but in June GM shut the door on plans to revive the car as a Chevrolet Caprice.

It was thought the GM plan to import cars from Australia to US enforcement agencies would meet with strong opposition from GM’s new owners, the unions and the Government, in light of the mass plant closures and job losses in the United States that followed the company’s filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

But senior GM exectuive Bob Lutz played down those fears in a blog on a company website in June this year.

“While the large (rear-wheel-drive) cars may be made in Australia, they are an integral part of GM, contain US-built engines and transmissions and numerous other components, and are so ‘American’ in character that I don't believe the law enforcement agencies would have any problems with the assembly origin of the vehicle. Plus, they'll love it,” he said.

If it comes off, the deal will be good news for workers at Holden’s Elizabeth plant in South Australia, which has been running at roughly half its capacity since the Pontiac deal ended.

The company cut one of its plant shifts in May, with some workers put on week-on, week-off work arrangements to avoid redundancies.

There will be a further boost to the plant from the end of next year, when Holden begins to build a small car at the plant.

But despite the good news, Henderson said the engineering role Holden had in the General Motors organisation was likely to shrink.

“It will be reduced from what it was, say five years ago, but it will still be a key role,” he said.

Prior to the economic downturn and the focus on more fuel efficient vehicles, the Australian operation was the engineering hub for GM’s global rear-wheel-drive program.