PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Popovich Praises Comeback Effort

duncan228
12-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Spurs' Popovich praises comeback effort (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Pop_praises_comeback_effort.html)
By Jeff McDonald

ORLANDO, Fla. — A night earlier, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had blasted his team for what he perceived as a lack of toughness heading down the stretch of a seven-point loss at New Orleans.

Thursday night, Popovich left Orlando's Amway Arena praising his team for the pride it had displayed in a 90-78 loss to the Magic. The Spurs trailed by as many as 23 points in the second half before rallying to within six with seven minutes remaining.

“Our players can take a lot of satisfaction in showing a lot of competitiveness and hanging in in a tough situation,” Popovich said. “Down by 23, I thought they showed a lot of class hanging in the game.”

The Spurs shot just 28.3 percent in the first half, and went into intermission behind 44-29. They battled back to within 71-65 on a pair of Tony Parker free throws with 7:01 to play but could get no closer. A 12-2 Orlando run, sparked by Jameer Nelson, finally did the Spurs in.

The Spurs averaged 80.5 points on the two-game road trip, and failed to shoot better than 40 percent in either game. Still, thanks to their comeback bid, they departed Orlando at least able to talk about a silver lining.

“We did do a good job of fighting back into it to give ourselves an opportunity,” Tim Duncan said. “We just didn't have enough in the tank to get over the hump.”

Work in progress: The schedule-makers didn't do the Spurs any favors.

After a late national TV game Wednesday in New Orleans, the Spurs didn't get into Orlando until after 3:30 a.m. Thursday morning.

That could be part of the reason for the Spurs' sluggish start, though Popovich wasn't in the mood to complain about it after the fact.

“The timing wasn't great,” Popovich said. “Coming in at 3:30 in the morning is never good. But it happens to everybody at some point. It all evens out for everybody.”

All hands on deck: Given the difficult nature of the Spurs' latest back-to-back, not to mention the fact that the Magic like to play small, Ime Udoka figured he'd better be ready to play Thursday night.

On the heels of consecutive DNPs, Udoka got an early call in the fourth quarter and logged 18 minutes and 52 seconds for his longest stint in 12 days.

It took him awhile to find his legs, but Udoka eventually finished with six points, making two 3-pointers.

“You've got to catch up to the speed of the game again,” Udoka said. “Working out and playing one-on-one isn't the same as playing. You have to kind of get your feet under you.”

It was an all-hands-on-deck kind of night for the Spurs.

All 11 players who dressed played, including reserve point guard Jacque Vaughn, who had also collected two consecutive DNPs.

Oberto out: Reserve center Fabricio Oberto sat out Thursday's game with a sore left foot. He is considered day-to-day.

atxrocker
12-19-2008, 01:29 AM
really, pop? hopefully this is just lip service. since when is a 12 point loss "competitive"?

Duncan2177
12-19-2008, 01:32 AM
If Pop thinks the spurs were competitive with a 12 point loss were in trouble.

tomtom
12-19-2008, 01:33 AM
did you watch the game? they fought back hard from that 23 point deficit and i thikn that deserves at least a little praise. unfortunately nelson was dropping down everything. though they really did suck it up the second and third. oh well moving along

female sports fan
12-19-2008, 01:35 AM

:depressed:depressed

Obstructed_View
12-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Too bad Jeff doesn't watch the games; Udoka was on the floor in the first half.

honestfool84
12-19-2008, 02:16 AM
On the heels of consecutive DNPs, Udoka got an early call in the fourth quarter and logged 18 minutes and 52 seconds for his longest stint in 12 days.

??

how can one log 18 minutes and 52 seconds in a 12 minute quarter?

cherylsteele
12-19-2008, 02:21 AM
??

how can one log 18 minutes and 52 seconds in a 12 minute quarter?
It's that "new" math.

honestfool84
12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
mcdonald is retarded.

T Park
12-19-2008, 02:23 AM

Reread junior.

He praised the comeback effort.

On their tired legs, a comeback effort to cut it to 6 is pretty damn good.

polandprzem
12-19-2008, 04:32 AM
A 23 point lead is the worst thing that can happen to an NBA team.

wijayas
12-19-2008, 04:50 AM

This is Pop's Psychology 101. There is no point beating an already dead horse. We lost. It is so much better to look at the positive and grow from there.

word
12-19-2008, 05:08 AM
Well lets all just laugh our way to hell....

I turn off games when they piss me off too bad. I turned the Horns game off against Ohio State, both times, my wife hung with the game in OSU and came into the home office, where I was steaming/sulking/avoiding to tell me it was okay to come back to the living room and watch the game...then again OSU II, which she joined me in turning off the game. The TT game once again but I came back to it after my niece who goes to Tech and was at the game sent me a text with 'oh no' in it, which piqued my interest again.

Bottom line, I just can't hang with it if my team is beating themselves. I know that's bad but..I've had a heart attack..and believe it or not...it gets me worked up where I feel like I HAVE to turn it off. Give me a break. But these two games...barring playoff games which I watch to the end, especially if I'm actually there and I admit, I do a few 'stand in the exit' games but these kinda games...fuck that...

I will not watch that shit. I refuse. The writing is on the wall. These last two games I just look at and think, 'Pop has lost his goddamn mind. He's gone Al Gore on us. Grown a beard, probably mailed a few bombs...whatever...he's fucking nuts folks.'

I don't even want to think about it. It's too early. Christmas is in a week. Going to go see the family. Longhorns...Spurs....Heisman...there's only so much I can take. Getting beat by Tech was just about the limit for me. I don't have a lot of room to play with here, POP. You motherfucker.

-out

Danny.Zhu
12-19-2008, 05:53 AM
We SUCKS. The loss of the recent 2 games shows the reality covered by the winning streak.

word
12-19-2008, 06:23 AM
I can take losses...but these last two....suX0r'd.

I guess we can all hang on to that 'spurs start late' shit but as I recall last season...them times was ovah after '07. I give 'em till March 15. Then we'll know if we should make a run, or dump the season and go to the draft. In the meantime, I'm growing mah' crazy beard and demo-stratin' fer global warming and a better defense.

whoot!!

MoSpur
12-19-2008, 09:17 AM
That is the only thing they can take out of that game last night. Is that they actually TRIED to make a game out of it. It was a good effort.

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Good effort or not. This was the week I felt would determine or give us a real look at what we were made of. And our bigs proved me correct. Talk about getting your butts whipped inside the paint. And the Magic only hit 6 of there 25 shots from beyond the arc. This could have been an even more worse blow out then the score really says. Or the comeback we made. In the end it wasnt because of their outside shooting that cost us the game. It was because of layups. It drew Pop into getting pissed. But hey Pop what do you expect with a bunch of scrubs for bigs. I mean heck you brought these scrubs in. And this is what you might as well expect when you play against teams with alot of talent. The biggest question I have is would we have lost to NO and Orlando if we would have played them at home? And when is Ian gonna be ready? Matt is ok against sorry teams. But he aint worth a crud against the teams that will be fighting for and in the POs. If the FO isnt working on some kind of plan to get Timmy some help. Then imo they're playing their fans for suckers. And Matt has alot of fans for suckers. At MYSA.com someone said trade Tony for Amare,Marion or Okafor. Who knows with Timmy being the best passing Big in the NBA. Maybe Hill can run the show while Timmy and one of those other bigs dominate the paint. Nah, Hill would get eaten alive in the post season. Bottom line is the Spurs are not fooling anyone. And did anyone see Manu's jumping ability? In last nights game his lack of staying in the air(which has been an important asset in his driving ability to score layups and dunks), has gone flat. Manu has no lift in his legs anymore. He is basically a jump shooter now. And we have plenty of them. Trade him for a big. Or continue to get smoked by younger more talented teams. Like NO, Orlando and the Lakers. Or wait till 2010. And watch the FO bring in another scrub of a Big.

T Park
12-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I have absolutely zero fucking clue about basketball. Spursreport misses me.

Kori Ellis
12-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I will not watch that shit. I refuse. The writing is on the wall. These last two games I just look at and think, 'Pop has lost his goddamn mind. He's gone Al Gore on us. Grown a beard, probably mailed a few bombs...whatever...he's fucking nuts folks.'

I don't even want to think about it. It's too early. Christmas is in a week. Going to go see the family. Longhorns...Spurs....Heisman...there's only so much I can take. Getting beat by Tech was just about the limit for me. I don't have a lot of room to play with here, POP. You motherfucker.

-out

:downspin:

That was a pretty classic breakdown.

It's basketball. It's December.

Take it easy.

Bender
12-19-2008, 09:56 AM
That was a pretty classic breakdown.:lol I thought the same thing. I looked at his post count and expected to see just a few posts, but 1300?!

YoMamaIsCallin
12-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Well lets all just laugh our way to hell....

I turn off games when they piss me off too bad. I turned the Horns game off against Ohio State, both times, my wife hung with the game in OSU and came into the home office, where I was steaming/sulking/avoiding to tell me it was okay to come back to the living room and watch the game...then again OSU II, which she joined me in turning off the game. The TT game once again but I came back to it after my niece who goes to Tech and was at the game sent me a text with 'oh no' in it, which piqued my interest again.

Bottom line, I just can't hang with it if my team is beating themselves. I know that's bad but..I've had a heart attack..and believe it or not...it gets me worked up where I feel like I HAVE to turn it off. Give me a break. But these two games...barring playoff games which I watch to the end, especially if I'm actually there and I admit, I do a few 'stand in the exit' games but these kinda games...fuck that...

-out

Seriously, figure out how to relax, take things in stride, and get a perspective. There are some anger issues here. I am not slamming you, I am actually empathetic -- I've been there. If you think you have unresolved issues, you probably do. Get some help, find someone to talk to.

Here's a reality check that I hope will help you.

National sports (whether college or pro) is big money making entertainment. Whether the Spurs or the Longhorns win or lose will not change anything in your life or the world, in reality. It's fun to watch, it's fun to pull for a team, but it's not real life.

College football players are kids. They're going to make mistakes. That DB who dropped the interception in the Tech game, Blake Gideon, graduated from high school LAST YEAR. He's what, 19 years old? Yet, if he makes that bunny catch, Texas is #1 and in the national championship game. The college football BCS system is completely stupid and the bowl games probably don't deserve the fan attention they get, because it is not a real determination of a champion.

The regular season in pro basketball is just a grind. Teams will have losing and winning streaks. The goal is to get into the playoffs without being too broken down. That's really all. The players and coaches know that the team cannot possibly get "up" and give "maximum effort" 4 nights a week, with the incredibly draining travel schedule. Yet the fans have these expectations. The playoffs is the real season.

Dex
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
1) Ime came out in the first quarter.

2) Is this the first we're hearing of Oberto's sore foot? Perhaps explains his recent lack of action?

3) I still don't like Jacque Vauhgn.

G-Nob
12-19-2008, 11:03 AM
The best part about the game was Bonner only taking five shots. Props to the boys for hanging in there. It could've been an all-out give up.

mexicanjunior
12-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I think the Spurs comeback had more to do with Orlando letting up than us really finding our stride.

I think the Spurs are going to struggle against any team that does not have to double team Duncan. If open 3's are not being made available by bad rotations from the opposing team's defense, this team really bogs down offensively and it turns into Duncan trying to carry the load or Ginoboli/Parker forcing the issue. Considering teams like the Lakers, Rockets, Suns, Hornets and Celtics (if we get that far) will not double right off the bat, it could be a very bad sign for our offense...

xtremesteven33
12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I think the Spurs comeback had more to do with Orlando letting up than us really finding our stride.

I think the Spurs are going to struggle against any team that does not have to double team Duncan. If open 3's are not being made available by bad rotations from the opposing team's defense, this team really bogs down offensively and it turns into Duncan trying to carry the load or Ginoboli/Parker forcing the issue. Considering teams like the Lakers, Rockets, Suns, Hornets and Celtics (if we get that far) will not double right off the bat, it could be a very bad sign for our offense...

If you dont double team Duncan hell take the defender out. Or get him in foul trouble.

mexicanjunior
12-19-2008, 12:10 PM
If you dont double team Duncan hell take the defender out. Or get him in foul trouble.

I think the Magic made the choice last night to allow Howard to get fouls in order to deny Finley, Bonner, Bowen and Mason open 3's because they know that is the only way they can hurt the Magic on offense. None of those 4 players are a real threat to drive the lane and attack the rim, it was a smart move as long as Howard didn't get his 6th, which never came. I would expect more of the better teams with decent big men will follow this blueprint and probably be successful with it....

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Good effort or not. This was the week I felt would determine or give us a real look at what we were made of. And our bigs proved me correct. Talk about getting your butts whipped inside the paint. And the Magic only hit 6 of there 25 shots from beyond the arc. This could have been an even more worse blow out then the score really says. Or the comeback we made. In the end it wasnt because of their outside shooting that cost us the game. It was because of layups. It drew Pop into getting pissed. But hey Pop what do you expect with a bunch of scrubs for bigs. I mean heck you brought these scrubs in. And this is what you might as well expect when you play against teams with alot of talent. The biggest question I have is would we have lost to NO and Orlando if we would have played them at home? And when is Ian gonna be ready? Matt is ok against sorry teams. But he aint worth a crud against the teams that will be fighting for and in the POs. If the FO isnt working on some kind of plan to get Timmy some help. Then imo they're playing their fans for suckers. And Matt has alot of fans for suckers. At MYSA.com someone said trade Tony for Amare,Marion or Okafor. Who knows with Timmy being the best passing Big in the NBA. Maybe Hill can run the show while Timmy and one of those other bigs dominate the paint. Nah, Hill would get eaten alive in the post season. Bottom line is the Spurs are not fooling anyone. And did anyone see Manu's jumping ability? In last nights game his lack of staying in the air(which has been an important asset in his driving ability to score layups and dunks), has gone flat. Manu has no lift in his legs anymore. He is basically a jump shooter now. And we have plenty of them. Trade him for a big. Or continue to get smoked by younger more talented teams. Like NO, Orlando and the Lakers. Or wait till 2010. And watch the FO bring in another scrub of a Big.

Why do you even bother following the team if they make you this miserable?

And are you really arguing that the Spurs should trade both Parker and Ginobili for bigs? Assuming for fun that both ideas came to fruition, I'm curious who on the remaining roster has any chance to make plays on the perimeter? Are you hoping for the Spurs to become a not-as-good version of the Toronto Raptors or something?

Bruno
12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Oberto out: Reserve center Fabricio Oberto sat out Thursday's game with a sore left foot. He is considered day-to-day.

If Oberto is still out for the next game on Saturday against Raptors, Spurs will have only 3 healthy bigmen with Duncan, Bonner and Thomas. Spurs should bring back Tolliver and if Spurs' staff isn't sure whether or not keeping him for the year, this game could help them to make their choice. Seeing what he can do against perimeter oriented and mobile players like Bosh and Bargnani could decide his fate with Spurs.

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Why do you even bother following the team if they make you this miserable?

And are you really arguing that the Spurs should trade both Parker and Ginobili for bigs? Assuming for fun that both ideas came to fruition, I'm curious who on the remaining roster has any chance to make plays on the perimeter? Are you hoping for the Spurs to become a not-as-good version of the Toronto Raptors or something?

Because I can. And they dont make me misable. I enjoy the games. They are a few teams I like out there on this planet. And those teams have players I personally dont like. And Ive earned that right. If you dont like it, then ignore it. Its a great feature Ill show you how to use it.:king

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Because I can. And they dont make me misable. I enjoy the games. They are a few teams I like out there on this planet. And those teams have players I personally dont like. And Ive earned that right. If you dont like it, then ignore it. Its a great feature Ill show you how to use it.:king

I was actually trying to engage you in discussion by asking you to clarify points in your rant.

I just wonder why some people continue to complain about the same things in the Groundhog Day world of Spurs fandom.

I'm absolutely certain that gripes just like yours were prominent in this forum in 2005 and in 2007, too.

leemajors
12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
If Oberto is still out for the next game on Saturday against Raptors, Spurs will have only 3 healthy bigmen with Duncan, Bonner and Thomas. Spurs should bring back Tolliver and if Spurs' staff isn't sure whether or not keeping him for the year, this game could help them to make their choice. Seeing what he can do against perimeter oriented and mobile players like Bosh and Bargnani could decide his fate with Spurs.

i think they called him up today.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112492

lefty
12-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Fuck Pop.

Howard is benched because of his 5 fouls and we don't give the ball to TD

Fuck Timmy, he has csrubs defending him and he settles for the jump-shot

And Fuck Pop for pushing Tim to take more jump-shots.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Josepatches_
12-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I think the Magic made the choice last night to allow Howard to get fouls in order to deny Finley, Bonner, Bowen and Mason open 3's because they know that is the only way they can hurt the Magic on offense. None of those 4 players are a real threat to drive the lane and attack the rim, it was a smart move as long as Howard didn't get his 6th, which never came. I would expect more of the better teams with decent big men will follow this blueprint and probably be successful with it....

But you are talking about Howard and even he was in foul trouble, maybe Chandler or Camby too can do that (NO could be a problem like they was last year) but how many more players can stop TD without double team? Even NO lat year in the WCSF sent always Paul to double team
Last 2 games we played against 2 teams which have 2 of the best defensive big men of the league.
But teams like Lakers are not going to leave alone Gasol or Bynum against TD.He will destroy them.We saw last week how Dampier or Diop can't do it neither.Shaq needs help when TD begin the move too.90% of the league's teams send help when TD puts the ball in the floor.Even Howard needs help if he don't want to be in foul trouble.

I'm not worried about that.If teams want to let TD play one on one he could score easily at least 60-70%.The problem is when we are not able to use the advantages of the double team on TD.Like last year series against the Hornets.

SenorSpur
12-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Personally, I'm not into moral victories. This is an unforgiving league. You're either good enough to compete on a given night or you're not. There's no such thing as "we almost won" or "we played hard". It simply comes down to whether your team got a "W" or an "L". That's all that matters. I'm actually surprised Pop fell back on such a weak statement. He's usually no-nonsense.

mrspurs
12-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Personally, I'm not into moral victories. This is an unforgiving league. You're either good enough to compete on a given night or you're not. There's no such thing as "we almost won" or "we played hard". It simply comes down to whether your team got a "W" or an "L". That's all that matters. I'm actually surprised Pop fell back on such a weak statement. He's usually no-nonsense.

+1

Kori Ellis
12-20-2008, 12:41 AM

For Pop, it doesn't simply come down to a W or L. I have seen him be livid after games when the Spurs win by 10+ points, just because the D sucked or some other aspects. Throughout the regular seasons in the last five years or so, I've seen him find merit in losses and be pissed off in wins dozens of times. This isn't a new thing coming from Pop.

I'm not saying this particular game was one that he should / shouldn't have been pissed off about. But I'm saying maybe he didn't expect a win. Not getting to bed until 4am on the second game of a back to back with two of your three stars not in game shape - maybe he just didn't expect a win and appreciated the guys trying to make a comeback.

SenorSpur
12-20-2008, 01:10 AM
For Pop, it doesn't simply come down to a W or L. I have seen him be livid after games when the Spurs win by 10+ points, just because the D sucked or some other aspects. Throughout the regular seasons in the last five years or so, I've seen him find merit in losses and be pissed off in wins dozens of times. This isn't a new thing coming from Pop.

I'm not saying this particular game was one that he should / shouldn't have been pissed off about. But I'm saying maybe he didn't expect a win. Not getting to bed until 4am on the second game of a back to back with two of your three stars not in game shape - maybe he just didn't expect a win and appreciated the guys trying to make a comeback.

Well said. One thing is for certain, Pop definitely has a great read and feel for the the pulse of the team. Maybe you're right. Maybe he knew the odds were long that they'd win that game.

However, I still believe bench contribution will be critical in road games like this. If Pop commits toward developing the bench on the fly, it will help provide the added energy jolt needed on such back-to-back games.

mrspurs
12-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Regardless of Ws or Ls, Pop has been yelling for more then 5 years. He has toned it down somewhat. But when you let a guy make an easy layup when your on a come back run. And quite possibly I think Pop thought we could win this one. Then expect Pop to hit something like the scorers table. I personally dont think Pop was making any excuses. But sometimes things slip out. What I am sure of is this. Pop could care less what we think. And I dont mean that in a bad way at all.

bigfan
12-20-2008, 01:54 AM

You are exactly right. Pop doesnt do "moral victories" or any of that crap, he probably was suprised the team played as good as it did under the circumstances. That is a good example of why the guy is the best coach in the league; he isnt going to sweat the small stuff, we will be in the playoffs with a better, tougher team.

Spur-Addict
12-20-2008, 03:48 PM
No. No. Notorius