PDA

View Full Version : we need an athletic big man.

cool hand
12-19-2008, 08:56 AM
and that is the final answer.

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Since the start of preseason.

T Park
12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Where do you produce said bigman, out of thin air?

Cause there are none available for trade

DROB4EVER
12-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Where do you produce said bigman, out of thin air?

Cause there are none available for trade

NJ wants to move Williams, GS wants to move Turiaf!

rascal
12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
The Clippers may move Camby or Kaman.

There are always bigs available for the right trade.

Dex
12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
This is a novel idea.

mexicanjunior
12-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Since the start of preseason.

Too bad we don't have the assets needed to acquire one. Camby would have made this team dominant on defense...

T Park
12-19-2008, 12:43 PM
NJ wants to move Williams, GS wants to move Turiaf!

:lmao @ Turiaf and WIlliams being fixes.

You guys have the trade that it would take to match the salary of Camby who requires over 20 million bucks to pay?

mexicanjunior
12-19-2008, 12:45 PM
You guys have the trade that it would take to match the salary of Camby who requires over 20 million bucks to pay?

No, that was the "assets" that were lacking...is still a nice pipe dream though. BTW, I think Turiaf would improve this team...

sonic21
12-19-2008, 12:45 PM
we need an athletic big man.

wow you've just figured out that now

rascal
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Too bad we don't have the assets needed to acquire one. Camby would have made this team dominant on defense...

The spurs have assets but they are not willing to part with any.
Camby for manu makes sense for both teams. Start Hill and give Mason big minutes. The spurs will still be good at sg with the development of Hill and have a quality bigman who can bring an interior defense, block some shots rebound and even score.

Fattmac78
12-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I say we trade Finely, Vagun, Immi, and a second round pick for Camby. They will drop Finely then we can wait 30 days to resign him for vets-min. How does that sound? It will take money off G.S. books and will give us a dam good big man that they're not using correctly. :bking

rascal
12-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I say we trade Finely, Vagun, Immi, and a second round pick for Camby. They will drop Finely then we can wait 30 days to resign him for vets-min. How does that sound? It will take money off G.S. books and will give us a dam good big man that they're not using correctly. :bking

Camby is not on GS. The Clippers need a good sg. You need to trade something of value to get Camby. Those bench players won't get Camby.

There are no sweet deals for the spurs like what the lakers get.

Duncan2177
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Dikembe Mutombo?

thOOdee
12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
PETITION!!!! They better keep this big three and add a legit big by next year w/ out trading gino. The big three need a shot with fresh legs other than old timers.

eisfeld
12-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Not going to happen via trade. The athletic bigs the Spurs need can't be acquired with the assets the team wants to part with. Only way to get a decent one is by parting ways with Manu, Hill or Mason and I doubt the Spurs would like to do that. Only expiring contracts might be intriguing to other teams but I doubt such a deal will happen before the trading deadline.

Manufan909
12-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Dikembe Mutombo?

+1 Screw athletic, it's overrated. What the Spurs need is an interior presence, a la Deke. He might not be a spring chicken anymore, put he'll still put the fear of god into opposing slashers, if only to have to not see him wag his tongue when he stuffs their pathetic attempts.

mexicanjunior
12-19-2008, 03:01 PM
+1 Screw athletic, it's overrated. What the Spurs need is an interior presence, a la Deke. He might not be a spring chicken anymore, put he'll still put the fear of god into opposing slashers, if only to have to not see him wag his tongue when he stuffs their pathetic attempts.

He is old as dirt and probably doesn't have enough lateral quickness to defend one-on-one but he would be the best defensive lane clogger this team has had (outside of Duncan) since Rasho...

Darrin
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
and that is the final answer.

I don't think so. I think the team needs a power player that can play lock-down defense and a swingman who has a matchup advantage on a nightly basis without losing two of the big three. With them in short supply, I don't think the Spurs are in a position to contend.

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 05:52 PM
No, that was the "assets" that were lacking...is still a nice pipe dream though. BTW, I think Turiaf would improve this team...

Id take Turiaf over Fabs tip out rebounds and flops any day.

Austin_Toros
12-19-2008, 06:09 PM
The Clippers may move Camby or Kaman.

There are always bigs available for the right trade.

i say go hard for kaman
he would help our team hands down

200 miles
12-19-2008, 06:17 PM
must find a way to draft Thabeet

Allanon
12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
I have no doubt the Spurs will find a big man before the deadline. I am pretty darn sure Pop and RC have been working the phones.

I don't know the cost but I do know the alternative.

xtremesteven33
12-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I have no doubt the Spurs will find a big man before the deadline. I am pretty darn sure Pop and RC have been working the phones.

:tu

In the midst of paniced Spurs fans, A Laker fan brings the voice of reason and truth.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Do you guys have the trade that it would take to match the salary of Camby who requires JUST over 15 million bucks to pay?

I say go hard for kaman
he would help our team hands down. He only costs over 40 Mil for the next four years.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 07:17 PM
No one wants Camby for a one year rental and he is old.

The Truth #6
12-19-2008, 07:26 PM
So everyone's already given up on Ian? Players do get injured. Boozer and Kenyon Martin are two power forwards who have had injuries and come back...it's not like an ankle injury is going to permanently end his career. It sucks it's taken this long but waiting on Ian is smarter than scrapping the team to get someone more expensive and maybe not as good.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 07:33 PM
No one wants Camby for a one year rental and he is old.

I do.

He can rebound at a high level still.

He has an efficient lang range jumpshot.

He can finish at the basket.

He has great weak side defense.

He has good on ball defense.

He can run the break (Mobile)

Lets see, did i leave anything out?

An alternative could be to try to acquire and get something out of a player like Ryan Hollins. Although young, he is showing signs of life in his minutes given this season (albeit few minutes). Plus, with the addition of Diaw his time is likely to shrink again.

It's worth a shot, we need something. He's cheap, he can block shots, finish, run the break etc. Plus, his contract is up this year so there isn't a substantial commitment there. Maybe something like Udoka straight up. Or maybe something like a second round pick with Udoka.

I still like Ian, but there is nothing wrong with getting him with a reasonable trade. Who knows, he and Ian could be the compliment to our veteran bigs which would give us much needed versatility in the frontcourt.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I do.

He can rebound at a high level still.

He has an efficient lang range jumpshot.

He can finish at the basket.

He has great weak side defense.

He has good on ball defense.

He can run the break (Mobile)

Lets see, did i leave anything out?

An alternative could be to try to acquire and get something out of a player like Ryan Hollins. Although young, he is showing signs of life in his minutes given this season (albeit few minutes). Plus, with the addition of Diaw his time is likely to shrink again.

It's worth a shot, we need something. He's cheap, he can block shots, finish, run the break etc. Plus, his contract is up this year so there isn't a substantial commitment there. Maybe something like Udoka straight up. Or maybe something like a second round pick with Udoka.

I still like Ian, but there is nothing wrong with getting him with a reasonable trade. Who knows, he and Ian could be the compliment to our veteran bigs which would give us much needed versatility in the frontcourt.

Um, the Clippers have Diaw? I didn't know that. To add on, he is so expensive we have to give up one of our big three, a filler to get him. Not worth it.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Um, the Clippers have Diaw? I didn't know that. To add on, he is so expensive we have to give up one of our big three, a filler to get him. Not worth it.

Where does Ryan Hollins play genius? Then come back and comment.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Were we even talking about the Bobcats, where Diaw and Hollins is at? We are talking about the Clippers and Spurs where a supposedly trade from nowhere might happen.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Were we even talking about the Bobcats, where Diaw and Hollins is at? We are talking about the Clippers and Spurs where a supposedly trade from nowhere might happen.

Did you even read my original post? If you did, you'd see I added Hollins in there as an alternative. Given the addition of Diaw...(>>>minutes shrinkage<<<)....Come on man, are you telling me I can't add an alternative to the conversation?

:lol

12-19-2008, 08:05 PM
a center who can defend out into the high post and can score around the low post proficiently is good enough. oberto would be great if he still remembered how to score. apparently he needs to be 2 inches away from the rim and 5 ft away from everyone else before he makes a basket. thomas is good but the spurs definitely needs some more presence in the interior. thomas can hit jump shots but can't take it near the rim and score after receiving a pass. this will take pressure off duncan and help against the lakers' gasol and bynum.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Did you even read my original post? If you did, you'd see I added Hollins in there as an alternative. Given the addition of Diaw...(>>>minutes shrinkage<<<)....Come on man, are you telling me I can't add an alternative to the conversation?

:lol

We will get nothing out of the Bobcats anyway. They need a scorer.

kuato
12-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Oberto is not scoring because popovich is not using him to score, in fact, he is not using him at all.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 08:27 PM
We will get nothing out of the Bobcats anyway. They need a scorer.

They won't be getting much of a scorer through trade unless they give up Wallace, and either way they have other tools to trade aside from Hollins to couple with Wallace. If you give up Wallace there is still a void to fill, so it's semi lateral. About five to seven of their current contracts come off the books next season, why not get something while you can (Solid role player and a pick, although Udoka is a free agent next season, a pick is better than nothing) unless you believe Hollins is something to hold onto.

I think he has upside to be a good role player.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 08:31 PM
They will not give up Wallace. However, if they do, I would take Gerald Wallace. Great help defender, defends three positions. He is quite a good slasher so he could get to the line more which is something the Spurs need. When we run small ball he could play the four. I just don't know what to give up for a Gerald Wallace package. Do we give up Ginobili(which brings the Bobcats back to square one) or our role players plus fillers? I am confused.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 08:37 PM
They will not give up Wallace. However, if they do, I would take Gerald Wallace. Great help defender, defends three positions. He is quite a good slasher so he could get to the line more which is something the Spurs need. When we run small ball he could play the four. I just don't know what to give up for a Gerald Wallace package. Do we give up Ginobili(which brings the Bobcats back to square one) or our role players plus fillers? I am confused.

I wasn't referring to us acquiring G. Wallace.

I was just saying that, yes they need a scorer, and i'm not sure that Hollins is a magnificent trade tool for them to use in the acquisition of a scorer (Or any more than some other players they have).

That is all I meant.

We aren't giving up any of our top three players for the vast majority of players in this league. Certainly not G. Wallace.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 08:40 PM
How much is his salary? (Hollins) or Emeka Okafor's?

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Oberto is not scoring because popovich is not using him to score, in fact, he is not using him at all.

Oberto couldn't score twenty if he gets the shots, nor could he score ten consistently if he shoots when open. The man can't finish at three feet let alone twenty on a consistent basis. He is a glue man, a glue man who gets exposed a bit too much. I wouldn't move him, but I wouldn't start him. But, we don't have much there right now, so it's W/E. :depressed

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 08:42 PM
How much is his salary? (Hollins) or Emeka Okafor's?

Hollins is at roughly 970,000 expiring this year I think, and Okafor is at 9,500,000 and rising a mill per year each year through 13/14.

Austin_Toros
12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
many people seem to be saying that we need courtney sims or should get him.
why dont the spurs sign him?

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Let me use the ESPN trade machine and see what we got. Michael Finley has Bird rights!! Ryan Hollins has bird rights. Urgh.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 08:49 PM
many people seem to be saying that we need courtney sims or should get him.
why dont the spurs sign him?

To be honest I don't know much about him aside from his recent tear in the D-League, even so I still haven't seen him play so I cannot comment. Word around the campfire is that, "ChumpDumper" is the man to talk to about the D-League players.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Can we get Juwan Howard? The trade machine isn't updated.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Can we get Juwan Howard? The trade machine isn't updated.

I'm not sure he does much for us, or what we desire from him. It's pretty much not a substantial move.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 08:53 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=242~2805~866~874~3008~1026&teams=30~30~30~30~24~24&te=&cash=

How about this? Though it really does not make much sense for either team.
We all know how Jordan is a failure when it comes to making such decisions.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=242~2805~866~874~3008~1026&teams=30~30~30~30~24~24&te=&cash=

How about this? Though it really does not make much sense for either team.
We all know how Jordan is a failure when it comes to making such decisions.

That isn't happening, even a failure (at GM) like MJ isn't doing that. We just need Hollins.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Hollins could just say no thanks to his Bird rights, no point risking to get him.

Chieflion
12-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Guess we just have to wait for Ian Mahinmi then.

Russ
12-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Guess we just have to wait for Ian Mahinmi then.

It's even money whether Mahinmi or Godot gets here first.

12-19-2008, 09:19 PM
since we are throwing out names, what about jeff foster, przybilla, or tony battie? maybe even turiaf and varejao. all salaries are around 5-6 million. all will require the trade of matt bonner and another contract. the spurs haven't filled the 15th roster spot yet. they might be looking to sign a FA or making room for a trade.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 09:31 PM
since we are throwing out names, what about jeff foster, przybilla, or tony battie? maybe even turiaf and varejao. all salaries are around 5-6 million. all will require the trade of matt bonner and another contract. the spurs haven't filled the 15th roster spot yet. they might be looking to sign a FA or making room for a trade.

I don't think Joel is going anywhere especially with Oden under developed.

I'm not sure the Spurs want Foster's 6.6 Mil on the books for the 2010 season, but he still isn't exactly what we need in regards to interior finishing, and running the court. Yes he can play D, but we have some of that in other the other bigs and He isn't exactly a lock down guy although he certainly gives fits.

Battie, I don't know about him. He's a step above KT despite my previous eval of him, but is he really that much better to put us where we need to be? In my opinion, no. To me, you know what you'll get out of him, we already have these sorts of players. I think we need a player who may do something that is out of his current expectations but in his ability. Or, a player who does what we flat out need. i don't think any of these will do, especially seeing as how Port needs joel.

Anderson isn't going anywhere, we get that type of play from Oberto anyways, minus the additional size and athleticism. (11 Mil total this year and next)

12-19-2008, 09:44 PM
since the league overpays centers, there won't be any very good center around the spurs' price range. spurs don't need anyone spectacular, just someone who can defend and help duncan score. foster and varejao are currently averaging their career best in scoring and they can definitely play defense. i didn't notice foster's contract will be active in 2010 so that might be a problem.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 10:01 PM
since the league overpays centers, there won't be any very good center around the spurs' price range. spurs don't need anyone spectacular, just someone who can defend and help duncan score. foster and varejao are currently averaging their career best in scoring and they can definitely play defense. i didn't notice foster's contract will be active in 2010 so that might be a problem.

Varejao is an upgrade, but is Cleveland seriously going to part ways with him? They don't need a replacement guard so even if we offered G. hill it wouldn't make sense. The bigs we could offer in return aren't sufficient. If we offered picks it wouldn't really matter because they are in a win now mode seeing as how LBJ has his contract year coming up soon. So, without damaging this team, how could we get him? I just don't see it.

Foster on the other hand could be had, but Larry isn't giving him up without just compensation, despite the extra six mill issue.

Brad Miller makes roughly 20 mill this year and the next combined. His contract runs out next year. Although his price tag is high, it doesn't ruin the "2010 plan". Unless they want to dump him for the sake of dumping him we won't be able to get him though. So it's purely their call. I mean, they aren't that good anyways.

I can't believe Gadzuric makes 20 Mill over the next three years, WOW. :downspin:

I also noted that in time seen, Fesenko from the Jazz played well. He has been inbetween the D-League but he can play in the L, so he is interesting as well.

12-19-2008, 11:26 PM
there was the cavs rumor that they were willing to deal varejao and wally. the cavs can use a player like bonner. varejao can't shoot midrange and they already have ben wallace around to grab rebounds and clean up around the rim. spreading the floor with bonner's 3pt ability will give james plenty of more options to pass to when he drives. spurs have enough 3pt shooters and the cavs have enough interior presence in wallace, z, and lebron. a trade would kind of make sense.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 11:39 PM
there was the cavs rumor that they were willing to deal varejao and wally. the cavs can use a player like bonner. varejao can't shoot midrange and they already have ben wallace around to grab rebounds and clean up around the rim. spreading the floor with bonner's 3pt ability will give james plenty of more options to pass to when he drives. spurs have enough 3pt shooters and the cavs have enough interior presence in wallace, z, and lebron. a trade would kind of make sense.

I know I wouldn't trade Varejao for Bonner, the Cavs have alot of perimeter shooting as it is. Varejao is really good at the pick and roll, aside from Z they don't have a big who can provide that sort of play. I would argue that Varejao is better at the pick and roll as opposed to Z. Where Z has a better J, Varejao can drive, dish and finish despite his J not being as solid as Z's.

He gives more energy than Ben does now as well. Ben is better defensively, but Varejao might do the little things better these days.

spurspokesman
12-20-2008, 12:22 AM
must find a way to draft Thabeet
200 miles I'm with you(lol I'm from and live in ct. Huskies all the way.thabeet on the spurs would be a dream.something I fantasize about.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-20-2008, 01:30 AM
Kaman would be a horrible fit for them, he'd clog the paint too much on O. It seems like an athletic C wouldn't be as big a need if they had another athletic wing to keep perimeter players out of the paint. Bowen's defense seems average at best these days but he always seems to prove me wrong come playoff time.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-20-2008, 01:34 AM
God, Thabeet Duncan up front would be nasty. I give Thabeet credit for staying in school and developing a very raw game that would have gotten lost in the NBA.

LakerHater
12-20-2008, 02:38 AM
I was wondering why the Spurs didn't go after Krstic?
I mean hes tall and he wouldn't crowd the middle or demand the ball in the middle like other centers!

wildbill2u
12-20-2008, 03:35 PM
It's even money whether Mahinmi or Godot gets here first.

You will get some flames from our non-literate members over that bon mot:toast

Rohirrim
12-20-2008, 03:53 PM
We Need The Birdman.

Manufan909
12-20-2008, 05:18 PM
He is old as dirt and probably doesn't have enough lateral quickness to defend one-on-one but he would be the best defensive lane clogger this team has had (outside of Duncan) since Rasho...

Dude, you start by hating, yet you agree with with the meat of my post, wth? The 15-22 minutes Duncan is out, make sure Deke is in, so he can protect the rim/clean up the glass.

P.S. And I know he's old as dirt, but if Pop will play Fin over Mason, he'll play Deke over Fab(which is actually logical).

benefactor
12-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I was wondering why the Spurs didn't go after Krstic?
I mean hes tall and he wouldn't crowd the middle or demand the ball in the middle like other centers!
Money...if we are going to add someone it has to be a young player or a vet for the minimum.

underdawg
12-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Money...if we are going to add someone it has to be a young player or a vet for the minimum.

How about James Mays in the D-League for Colorado? I know it's D-League, but he's doing well so far (stat-wise) and had a repuation as a great defender at Clemson. Little small (6'9") but he's listed at 230lbs. I really don't know a lot about him except for what I've read and he seems to be a decent prospect.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2008, 06:19 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Mays' individual defense. The 14ers are playing him at the 3 but I haven't seen much to suggest he could do that in the NBA. Nice range for a PF though. Again, a tryout wouldn't hurt the Spurs.

angelbelow
12-20-2008, 07:30 PM

lol wtf

Austin_Toros
12-20-2008, 10:16 PM
trade for DeAndre Jordan
especially seeing as we should have drafted him

urunobili
12-20-2008, 10:37 PM
we need tonight's Kurt Thomas every day!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-21-2008, 12:19 AM
we need tonight's Kurt Thomas every day!

You'll get it when it matter's, KT fits the mold of "peak at the right time and step up when needed" perfectly which is why I was happy for him when he want to SA, but ready to kill Sarver for letting our one team player go. KT stepped up against TD in 2007 (rest of the team sucked not his problem) and against Shaq in 2008, look for KT to OWN Bynum in 2009.

HarlemHeat37
12-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Kurt is a great backup big man..Bonner is going to be great when it comes to stretching out the floor against bigger teams..now we need an athletic guy when we NEED it, which doesn't have to be a big-name player..Hendrix would be a great addition right now..Sims from the D-league..obviously I'd like Mutombo..

we have options..