PDA

View Full Version : Official "Get Mason more touches thread"

George Gervin's Afro
12-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Mace is the only guy shooting well on our team right now so it dumbfounds me that he gets as few shots as he does. I think there needs to be more of an effort to get mason involved in the offense.

xtremesteven33
12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Mason plays better when hes running the point.

honestfool84
12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
i forwarded this thread to Pop; don't worry, you'll see more Mason touches in the next game.

sonic21
12-19-2008, 12:39 PM
he didn't shoot well the last 5-6 games

sonic21
12-19-2008, 12:39 PM
but i agree

mexicanjunior
12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Mason plays better when hes running the point.

I disagree, he is more agressive offensively when he runs point but I think his ballhandling is shaky, especially against pressure defense.

George Gervin's Afro
12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
he didn't shoot well the last 5-6 games

Notice who came back during this time? I get the feeling now Mason is going to take whatever shot he can get. His first rotation last night he didn't have the opportunity to shoot one time.

xtremesteven33
12-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I disagree, he is more agressive offensively when he runs point but I think his ballhandling is shaky, especially against pressure defense.

Mason is still working on making the right plays under pressure but you wont see him go off for 20 points again unless hes running the point and getting his shot off running off of screens.

sonic21
12-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Notice who came back during this time? I get the feeling now Mason is going to take whatever shot he can get. His first rotation last night he didn't have the opportunity to shoot one time.

he was shooting well the 1st 5 game of the season :nope

George Gervin's Afro
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Mason is still working on making the right plays under pressure but you wont see him go off for 20 points again unless hes running the point and getting his shot off running off of screens.

We need more plays run for him..

honestfool84
12-19-2008, 12:58 PM
like i said..
im at Pop's house right now, and he is reading all these threads, searching for answers.

actually, he suggested it would be extremely helpful if y'all make one thread and post all the suggestions, trade ideas in that one thread, so he doesn't have to search long and hard for his much needed help.

z0sa
12-19-2008, 01:14 PM
I was about to start a thread like this myself after some research.

Mason Jr needs 60-70% of Finley's shots, first and foremost. Second, he needs more plays run for him in pick n roll situations, not just spotting up or off of screens.

Nobody
12-19-2008, 01:16 PM
How about the official replace Finley with Mason thread?

ATRAIN
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I would like to see Chicken and Waffles get more touches for sure.

jrmp317
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
The problem with Mason since Ginobili and Parker have come back is the same problem we've had with Finley. If he isn't making his shots like the last 5 games or so, he's useless. He doesn't get to dominate the ball, so he isn't able to set teammates up. His defense has been pretty bad lately, and he doesn't rebound due to his lack of height and athleticism.

I'm all for Hill getting more time, and when Fin and Mason are stinking it up allowing Hill to play along side TP.

z0sa
12-19-2008, 01:29 PM
The problem with Mason since Ginobili and Parker have come back is the same problem we've had with Finley. If he isn't making his shots like the last 5 games or so, he's useless. He doesn't get to dominate the ball, so he isn't able to set teammates up. His defense has been pretty bad lately, and he doesn't rebound due to his lack of height and athleticism.

I'm all for Hill getting more time, and when Fin and Mason are stinking it up allowing Hill to play along side TP.

Haven't watched Mason much this season, ahve you? Or even last night where he had seven boards? Mason's boarding is badass, and he's actually pretty athletic too, and in his prime. I thought his defense is more about adjusting to the system, his individual D is real solid.

jrmp317
12-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Haven't watched Mason much this season, ahve you? Or even last night where he had seven boards? Mason's boarding is badass, and he's actually pretty athletic too, and in his prime. I thought his defense is more about adjusting to the system, his individual D is real solid.

In the closing minutes of the Hornets game, he stopped paying attention to Posey which allowed Posey to get open for the game ending 3. He has his games where he rebounds well, and others where he doesn't. I'm not to concerned with his rebounding though, I want him scoring and setting up his teammates when opponents close out on him. Unfortunately he still seems confused as to how to make an impact with Gino and TP back. I hope he can get it going soon, though we do have time to wait.

z0sa
12-19-2008, 01:35 PM
In the closing minutes of the Hornets game, he stopped paying attention to Posey which allowed Posey to get open for the game ending 3. He has his games where he rebounds well, and others where he doesn't. I'm not to concerned with his rebounding though, I want him scoring and setting up his teammates when opponents close out on him. Unfortunately he still seems confused as to how to make an impact with Gino and TP back. I hope he can get it going soon, though we do have time to wait.

That was Finley's man iirc, he got screened off and just didn't make an effort to get past it.

hater
12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
IMHO Mason can't play with Manu yet.

Starters should be TP, Manu, Bowen, TD, Thomas

off the bench: Hill, Mason

then Bonner/Oberto/Finley

jrmp317
12-19-2008, 01:50 PM
That was Finley's man iirc, he got screened off and just didn't make an effort to get past it.

Finley wasn't in, he just got subbed out for Mason. TP, Gino, Mase, TD, and Bonner or KT.

jrmp317
12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
IMHO Mason can't play with Manu yet.

Starters should be TP, Manu, Bowen, TD, Thomas

off the bench: Hill, Mason

then Bonner/Oberto/Finley

I'm starting to believe that this would be the best for the team. Hill and Mason both seem to be less aggressive when Manu or TP is on the floor.

benefactor
12-19-2008, 01:53 PM
like i said..
im at Pop's house right now, and he is reading all these threads, searching for answers.

actually, he suggested it would be extremely helpful if y'all make one thread and post all the suggestions, trade ideas in that one thread, so he doesn't have to search long and hard for his much needed help.
You don't have to be a douche. It's a message board and people are free to express their thoughts about what their team should and should not do. We all know that the FO is not reading this, but this place was created for the exact thing that is going on in this thread. Fans have a right to have a voice. We speak with our time and our wallets and this team would not exist without us. If you don't like the idea...then disagree with it....but if you feel like this place is meaningless then there is nothing from stopping you from leaving.

Thompson
12-19-2008, 02:56 PM
It seemed to me (at least last night) that Mason was open at least a few times, and Parker either didn't see him or ignored him and took the shot himself (even though he wasn't having a great night shooting the ball). I hope Pop is highlighting these opportunities to TP during the film review sessions.

George Gervin's Afro
12-19-2008, 04:10 PM
It seemed to me (at least last night) that Mason was open at least a few times, and Parker either didn't see him or ignored him and took the shot himself (even though he wasn't having a great night shooting the ball). I hope Pop is highlighting these opportunities to TP during the film review sessions.

I saw the same things. There were a couple of occasions that mason was open but TP decided to put his head down and go no where.

Bender
12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
RMJ's better when he's "the man". Get tony & manu off the court more, let mason play.

Josepatches_
12-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Mason and Finley were playing great before Manu and Tony return.Both them.Even Finley had 2 games with 20 points in a row.But they can't take only the ball to shoot.

That's one of our problems.We moved the ball better before Manu and Tony comeback.Maybe it's time to do something more than dribble the ball 15-20 seconds every play.Our offense is really boring sometimes.

Austin_Toros
12-19-2008, 04:51 PM
is finley retiring at seasons end?

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 05:22 PM

Thats a fact. Roger isnt ready to run this offense yet. For now the best he can do is go on a shooting streak and play defense, while at the same time try to find his place within our system. Roger isnt gonna take over a game on an isolation play. That isnt why he is here or in the NBA. Its gonna take sometime like in Washington before he has a feel for his new teamates. Only the greats come in and play great ball on different teams. Roger isnt one of the greats. But as soon as he catches on he will be fine. I think people should look at Manu, Finley and Ime's play before they look at Roger. Its those 3 who are not playing good basketball. And they've been on this club for enough time to know each other. Giving Roger more minutes isnt gonna solve the problem we've had in stopping people from making layups when we go cold on offense.

12-19-2008, 08:10 PM
move finley to the bench and put bowen back into the starting lineup. that way mason won't be the fourth option and get more looks. mason needs to learn how to take it to the rim and finish. last game, he had a few clear paths to the basket but ended passing out rather than finishing. putting him side by side with ginobili is also a bad idea. so either move finley to the bench or move ginobili and bowen back to the starting lineup giving the second unit scoring responsibilities to mason, finley, and hill. either way, mason will be either the third option or first/second instead of fourth.

tp2021
12-19-2008, 09:46 PM
i forwarded this thread to Pop; don't worry, you'll see more Mason touches in the next game.

like i said..

You know this is a forum, right? Where discussion takes place? You act like you preside over all these posters by belittling every single idea. Why bother even coming to a forum if all you do is trash other people's ideas? THATS WHAT THIS PLACE IS FOR.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Totally agree, I've been calling for this basically since Manu and TP came back.

At the moment Mason's skills are largely being wasted. Pop should call the odd play for him to create, run him off screens for open jumpers (like he was doing when TP/Manu were out), and run TD plays where Mason is the first-choice weakside pitchout. At the moment, the poor bastard is being massively under-utilised and seems confused and frustrated with good reason.

There was a great example of this yesterday - in the fourth Mason hit two straight threes on a secondary break and a pitchout, to get the margin back to 9. He obviously had a hot hand and you could see him trying to get the attention of the team, but instead Manu and TP went to poorly run isos and turned the ball over or missed. Mason barely saw the ball during the next 10 possessions as the game slipped away. Very poor coaching on Pop's part - go with the hot hand!

Mason is no first or second option, but as the 4th option he should be more involved, and certainly should have more plays run for him than Fin who seems to get a lot more attention.

pawe
12-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I get a feeling that Manu's gonna start and Hill plus Mason will be our second stringers. I agree that Mason and Hill needs to be in the court together in order for them to produce. Mason's confidence should be developed for the playoffs.

Spur-Addict
12-19-2008, 10:41 PM
You know this is a forum, right? Where discussion takes place? You act like you preside over all these posters by belittling every single idea. Why bother even coming to a forum if all you do is trash other people's ideas? THATS WHAT THIS PLACE IS FOR.

:toast

Slippy
12-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Dont' think the shuffling up of line-ups has helped Mason's cause. The looks he's been getting have been pretty good. Now that he's back in the starting five he seems to be pressing as in trying too hard to prove he belongs. Yah a few more touches wouldn't hurt but more importantly he needs to let the game come to him. At the same time Pop has to be a steadying hand as coach. Enough of the revolving line-ups, Mason is not Manu.