PDA

View Full Version : Teflon Tolliver Gets a Recall

tav1
12-19-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_recall_tolliver_081219.html?rss=true

Why? Oberto injury? Mahinmi going back down. We'll see. Tolliver had two good games, and a couple mediocre ones, so I don't think this is because he set the world on fire.

hater
12-19-2008, 02:15 PM
fucking mahinmi!!! what a fuckin waste of time. ship his ass back to france in exchange for a dozen french baggettes

benefactor
12-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I guess we are not going after Mutombo.

Tolliver has looked a little better and he has been on fire from three. If he can knock down shots we could really use his hustle off the bench.

tav1
12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure where Mahinmi is at recovery-wise, beyond the 2 on 2 clips, but if he is not ready to go, I'd prefer the Spurs fill the Ahearn spot in some way with another Austin try out--namely, Richard Hendrix or Courtney Sims.

If the Spurs continue to be diligent with try outs, they might be able to find someone to stick once every 10, 15 or 20 players. Something like that. I can't remember how many players they ran through the try out grinder last season--4 or 5--but they're due. Unless, you count Tolliver. What I'm trying to say is that it's to the advantage of their program to continue to ask girls to dance until they find one to take home, or run out of money.

angelbelow
12-19-2008, 02:48 PM
i wonder if they are diligently scouting though. i actually doubt that they are but its definitely nice if they were.

Bruno
12-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Calling Tolliver is damn logical given Oberto injury. Spurs had only 3 healthy bigs for tomorrow game against Raptors.

And I don't see at all Spurs signing a prospect big without waiving Tolliver.

benefactor
12-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Calling Tolliver is damn logical given Oberto injury. Spurs had only 3 healthy bigs for tomorrow game against Raptors.

Yeah...I had forgotten about Oberto and the foot injury. This is probably Tolliver's last chance to show if he can help this team before his contract becomes fully guaranteed this season. That is sometime in January, correct?

ChumpDumper
12-19-2008, 02:55 PM
i wonder if they are diligently scouting though.They always are. That doesn't mean they will sign someone we want.

tav1
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM

I don't know, Bruno. Signing Ahearn made little sense roster wise. Another big would not make roster sense, but it could be worthwhile in terms of available talent.

The Toros must subscribe to the best player available philosophy.

tav1
12-19-2008, 03:27 PM
They always are. That doesn't mean they will sign someone we want.

+1, unfortunately

tav1
12-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah...I had forgotten about Oberto and the foot injury. This is probably Tolliver's last chance to show if he can help this team before his contract becomes fully guaranteed this season. That is sometime in January, correct?

Hence the first post in this thread which includes, "Oberto?"

bdictjames
12-19-2008, 03:28 PM
We could use a guy bigger than 6'5 beside Duncan with small ball.

benefactor
12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Hence the first post in this thread which includes, "Oberto?"
Humor me. I am on my 10th hour of a 12hr shift on 3hrs of sleep. :sleep

ChumpDumper
12-19-2008, 04:01 PM
I can see why they are keeping Tolliver. He has the potential of being more than a one-dimensional player. It's just going to take awhile for him to get to the level of a Spurs rotation player.

As for the best available talent, the Toros already have an embarrassment of riches in Brown, M. Williams and Hairston. It made a sense to try out a point guard from a future development standpoint, and Ahearn was the youngest one playing well in the D-League. I'm all for trying out whomever they think is the next most talented guy with upside -- I'm not sure calling up players for a perceived immediate need is going to accomplish much this season.

Austin_Toros
12-19-2008, 04:14 PM
not bad, tolliver will hopefully get some game time.
maybe mahinmi will be assigned to toros until he gets match fit and the get called up

Bender
12-19-2008, 04:16 PM
fucking mahinmi!!! what a fuckin waste of time. ship his ass back to france in exchange for a dozen french baggettes
just another one of the wasted picks in the past several years.

I'd like to see tolliver play more on the real team, let him develope.

mahinmi's not getting "NBA" money just playing on the d-league is he?

ChumpDumper
12-19-2008, 04:17 PM
They both are.

Austin_Toros
12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
As for the best available talent, the Toros already have an embarrassment of riches in Brown, M. Williams and Hairston. It made a sense to try out a point guard from a future development standpoint, and Ahearn was the youngest one playing well in the D-League. I'm all for trying out whomever they think is the next most talented guy with upside -- I'm not sure calling up players for a perceived immediate need is going to accomplish much this season.

ok man, dont diss williams and hairston.
and you're wrong about ahrean: "future development standpoint."
no, no, no! ahearn is not an nba quality player and i dont ever see him being in the league. spurs should focus on developing players in positions they actually NEED alla marcus williams and malik hariston.
tollivers call up will only help his game.

PS darius washington is better than ahearn

ChumpDumper
12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
ok man, dont diss williams and hairston.Um, I didn't.

and you're wrong about ahrean: "future development standpoint."
no, no, no! ahearn is not an nba quality player and i dont ever see him being in the league.He's already been in the league. There's one sure fire way to see if he'll fit as a Spur and that happened. It's never going to work 100% of the time.

spurs should focus on developing players in positions they actually NEED alla marcus williams and malik hariston.They don't need any swingmen under 6'8" this season.

tollivers call up will only help his game.Maybe if he plays.

PS darius washington is better than ahearnNot good enough to be a Spur.

Jet915
12-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Sweet, I'll tune in tomorrow, hopefully A-Train will get some playing time.

tav1
12-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Humor me. I am on my 10th hour of a 12hr shift on 3hrs of sleep. :sleep

I did that for about a decade...so humor, love and respect.

mrspurs
12-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Here we go again. Looks like we need some energy out there. And yeah most likely because of Fabs injury. But that means the Toros are gonna suck. hahahahaha

tav1
12-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I can see why they are keeping Tolliver. He has the potential of being more than a one-dimensional player. It's just going to take awhile for him to get to the level of a Spurs rotation player.

Well put. My hope is the Spurs can find one guy per year to make the following season's roster. If he graduates into the rotations, then that's even better. In terms of need, there is no doubt the Toros could use a point guard.

tav1
12-19-2008, 05:36 PM
just another one of the wasted picks in the past several years.

I'd like to see tolliver play more on the real team, let him develope.

mahinmi's not getting "NBA" money just playing on the d-league is he?

Google is your friend, Bender.

tav1
12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Here we go again. Looks like we need some energy out there. And yeah most likely because of Fabs injury. But that means the Toros are gonna suck. hahahahaha

I've moved beyond the suspicion that you don't know what you're talking about...

Josepatches_
12-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I think that we are taking so much JS.I don't know if we need this kind of player.IMO we have enough with Bonner who shoots better.

I would like more one big man although he can't be able to make a layup.Only to help TD with defense.That's why Nesterovic and Elson were important.Now TD has to guard every play and every day players like Howard,Bosch,Gasol,Shaq,even Dirk.... so he doesn't have the same energy to score.

DROB4EVER
12-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Where the hell Is Ian? Did he get his foot cut off? He is not playing with the Spurs or Toros so whats the deal?

itzsoweezee
12-19-2008, 11:23 PM
maybe mahinmi will be assigned to toros until he gets match fit and the get called up

yup