PDA

View Full Version : Rondo is NOT an All-Star

phxspurfan
12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry to the Celtics but this is really annoying to me. Kind of like how Detroit got 4 in the ASG when they had Billups and crew. As I recall even the coach played them all at the same time in that game.

If Rondo makes the all-star team, it will show that all you need to do is play with guys who score and you'll be overrated. So annoying; the guy is quick and has long arms. He can make layups. Who cares? I would rather see more-deserving guys like Devin Harris, Jose Calderon, Jameer Nelson, even Andre Miller than this clown.

Having more than 3 Celtics make this year's ASG is just another way for the NBA to play favorites!

Medvedenko
12-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Yup....but the Lakers will have 4......as well. :)
Bynum
Pau
Kobe
Odom

Ok, not really we'll probably only have 1....
Still, Rondo, not so much.

phxspurfan
12-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Yup....but the Lakers will have 4......as well. :)
Bynum
Pau
Kobe
Odom

Ok, not really we'll probably only have 1....
Still, Rondo, not so much.

But pretty much all of those guys at least have the talent to be all stars. Bynum could be left off since he isn't quite dominating yet, and Odom is a bench roleplayer now (albeit with TONS of talent). Rondo is just feeding off guys like Allen and Pierce making shots and KG dominating the paint. Plug Luther Head, Willie Green, Mike James into the same role and they go for the same, maybe better stats.

Rohirrim
12-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Rondo actually creates a lot for himself and is very talented/tough.

An all-star though, no.

Medvedenko
12-19-2008, 07:47 PM
But pretty much all of those guys at least have the talent to be all stars. Bynum could be left off since he isn't quite dominating yet, and Odom is a bench roleplayer now (albeit with TONS of talent). Rondo is just feeding off guys like Allen and Pierce making shots and KG dominating the paint. Plug Luther Head, Willie Green, Mike James into the same role and they go for the same, maybe better stats.

Exactly...it's the Josh Howard award...being on a great team and feeding off the team play. That doesn't make an all-star.

timtonymanu
12-19-2008, 07:51 PM
i agree. Rondo is a great PG, but he's not all-star material.

lil_penny
12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
rondo is a great Pg for the celtics however i dont think he would be statistically as good when placed on most other teams. assists come easy when you have lobs to garnett all the time and one of the best shooters in nba history in allen. however his triple double was very impressive.. i just dont think hes all star material right now.. id take calderon over him for sure.

Brazil
12-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Rondo is .... well I can't stand this guy sorry

Lakers_55
12-19-2008, 09:17 PM
ah, let the Celtics and their fans have their fun. Their luck ends this year and they'll go into hibernation for another 20 years. maybe longer. If they were truly the great franchise they claim to be, 22 years wouldn't have happened. Once the Spurs TD era ends, I'd wager they rebuild and win another title before Boston does.

jbspurs
12-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm sorry to the Celtics but this is really annoying to me. Kind of like how Detroit got 4 in the ASG when they had Billups and crew. As I recall even the coach played them all at the same time in that game.

If Rondo makes the all-star team, it will show that all you need to do is play with guys who score and you'll be overrated. So annoying; the guy is quick and has long arms. He can make layups. Who cares? I would rather see more-deserving guys like Devin Harris, Jose Calderon, Jameer Nelson, even Andre Miller than this clown.

Having more than 3 Celtics make this year's ASG is just another way for the NBA to play favorites!

Rondo >>> Devin Harris, Calderon, Jameer Nelson and Andre Miller

I think he deserve to be an allstar this year. I don't think Boston will be this good without him.

mrspurs
12-20-2008, 12:19 AM
He aint yet. But he will be.

lefty
12-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I love Rondo.

He's fun to watch

Darthkiller
12-20-2008, 12:40 AM

I think he deserve to be an allstar this year. I don't think Boston will be this good without him.

epic fail of the year?

JamStone
12-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Rondo might not be the typical "all star" player. And, he doesn't appear to be the perennial all star type. But, this year, he actually deserves it. In fact, he's arguably been more consistently better than the Big 3. And, I don't believe you could plug in just any guard on that Boston team and they'd be as good. Still good, but not as good.

hhml
12-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Rondo might not be the typical "all star" player. And, he doesn't appear to be the perennial all star type. But, this year, he actually deserves it. In fact, he's arguably been more consistently better than the Big 3. And, I don't believe you could plug in just any guard on that Boston team and they'd be as good. Still good, but not as good.

Always the voice of reason :tu.

Pretty much agree with everything you said.

bdictjames
12-20-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree. I think Rondo is more consistent, and if I had to pick a spot I'd pick him over Ray Allen. He's the engine that keeps the C's running on both ends of the floor.

jbspurs
12-20-2008, 11:41 AM
epic fail of the year?

Some just look at points stat to evaluate players, others evaluate overall.

Matchman
12-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Rondo is not even above average in the PG position. I dont even know why teams honor his shot anymore, everytime i saw him shooting a jumper its a miss, wide open or not.

z0sa
12-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Plug in Devin Harris to that Boston squad ... thats scary.

Or Jameer Nelson, with his shooting ability? He could stretch that floor way farther than Rondo.

JoeTait75
12-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't understand why more teams don't sag off Rondo and force him to be a jump-shooter. I know it's easier said than done, but still. No disrespect, but the guy is a longer, younger Eric Snow from 15 feet out.

JamStone
12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
No disrespect, but the guy is a longer, younger Eric Snow from 15 feet out.

Maybe in terms of his jump shooting ability.

But, the comparison is hardly adequate. Rajon Rondo does things athletically that Eric Snow could never do. Rondo is a plus rebounder at his position. He gets in passing lanes. Is at least 20 times as quick as Eric Snow in Eric Snow's best years athletically. Rondo can actually make lay-ups and make them in half-court sets. Eric Snow couldn't even do that. And, while both are considered having strengths on the defensive end, Eric Snow used his upper body strength to defend while Rondo uses length and quickness. Very different players.

To make the comparison to Eric Snow is to be egregiously narrow-minded in what to compare. THe comparison with jump shots is somewhat valid. Anything else is a pretty shallow analogy that carries little to no merit.

JoeTait75
12-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Maybe in terms of his jump shooting ability.

That's all I'm talking about in terms of comparisons. I thought of point guards who couldn't shoot, and the first guy who came to mind was Eric Snow.

Kobe™
12-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Rondo for Farmar

:/

Gant
12-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Rondo is first in the league among all guards (not just point guards) in fg%.

He's second among all players in steals (first in steals per minute played).

He's second among point guards in rebounds per minute played.

Since Doc Rivers gave him the keys to the offense at around game 12 he's outplayed every point guard he's faced except Chris Paul: Calderon, Rose, Miller, Iverson, TJ Ford, Bibby, Deron Williams and all the rest.

He's a great defender.

And it's not that Rondo can't score. He can drive by any point guard in the league. It's that he thinks team first and is unselfish- a characteristic that is confused with a lack of ability by many for some reason.

The Celtics as a team are better than last year largely because Rondo and Perkins are better. Their bench has not improved overall. Pierce and Garnett's stats are mostly down yet the Celtics may set a new record for best start to a season in two more games. Rondo's play is the difference.

He has been the Celtics MVP during their winning streak- better than any of the three future hall of famers.

If you've just been reading box scores and not watching him play, you do not understand...