02-25-2005, 04:42 PM
To apply for a Toyota job!?

2000 jobs/100,000 applicants.

MannyIsGod
02-25-2005, 07:04 PM
No Thanks.

pooh
02-25-2005, 07:05 PM
$15/hr...sounds good. right now it's for assembly jobs, but for those who are into stuff like that, it's a steal.

Shelly
02-25-2005, 07:42 PM
We were more interested in the building of the actual plant by getting one of our crane systems in there, but it's hard to get in with Toyota as they like to use 'their' people.

NameDropper
02-25-2005, 07:45 PM
I'll be applying. Can't hurt and if I'm lucky, I'll be making more than some who have college degrees. :)

NameDropper
02-25-2005, 07:46 PM
We were more interested in the building of the actual plant by getting one of our crane systems in there, but it's hard to get in with Toyota as they like to use 'their' people.

Who doesn't like to use "their" people?

timvp
02-25-2005, 07:49 PM

Are you hinting that JohnnyBlaze would be able to get his cranes there?

Question.

Shelly
02-25-2005, 07:53 PM
i dunno...what kind of cranes does he have??? The bird? Frazier and/or Niles Crane? :spin

desflood
02-25-2005, 11:30 PM
I'll apply, but not sure if I'll take the job in the end.

desflood
02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
:shootme Oh hell, that didn't sound right...

JoeChalupa
03-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Mine is done.

Jimcs50
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Do they need a company dentist?

I will transfer to SA if they pay me 300K/yr, give me season tickets to the Spurs, a company car, amd give me 8 wks paid vacation per year.

Check on that for me, ok?

:)

desflood
03-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Finished my application.

Clandestino
03-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Do they need a company dentist?

I will transfer to SA if they pay me 300K/yr, give me season tickets to the Spurs, a company car, amd give me 8 wks paid vacation per year.

Check on that for me, ok?

the army needs dentists.. you can get free travel all over the world, a company vehicle, lots of vacation, free uniforms and not have to pay for insurance!

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 05:55 PM
I'll be applying. Can't hurt and if I'm lucky, I'll be making more than some who have college degrees. :)

And be bored out of your ever loving mind.

JoeChalupa
03-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Not bad pay for being bored though. To each his own.

bigzak25
03-01-2005, 06:00 PM
it would be awfully hard to browse and post on spurstalk while putting those damn tundras together.....

i can't wait til the first breakfast taco is found in the glove compartments of these things by the buyers.....

Jimcs50
03-01-2005, 06:01 PM
the army needs dentists.. you can get free travel all over the world, a company vehicle, lots of vacation, free uniforms and not have to pay for insurance!

Throw in a bullet proof white coat and you have yourself a deal.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 06:15 PM
I can't do boring work. I need something that I enjoy doing or else I have absolutely no motivation to do it. Pay isn't motivation enough.

desflood
03-01-2005, 06:19 PM
I can't do boring work. I need something that I enjoy doing or else I have absolutely no motivation to do it. Pay isn't motivation enough.
It's usually the people who have enough money that say things like that.

JoeChalupa
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Good point. But some do what is necessary to provide for their family.

I know my dad didn't like working at GM but he did well....very well.
Was making over $60K when he retired. Not bad for a guy with a 6th grade education.

JoeChalupa
03-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I also think some choose a profession for the money, not necessarily because they love what they do.
But I agree, but some, like myself, need to compromise between "enjoying" our work and "providing" for the fam.

I choose the latter.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm poor as hell.

Seriously though, lets look at 15.00 an hour. 15x40 = 600 dollars a week.

600x52 = 31,200

We're not even talking a large sum of money at all. It's not a bad wage to live off of by any means, but I don't want 40 hours of time awake each week to be the brain dead and boring for 30k a year. No thanks.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Good point. But some do what is necessary to provide for their family.

I know my dad didn't like working at GM but he did well....very well.
Was making over $60K when he retired. Not bad for a guy with a 6th grade education.

Thats a very good point, and I think this is why it'll be good for SA in the long run. You'll have a generation of kids with undereducated parents (assuming Toyota doesn't higher smart assembly line workers) who will make very good money for their education level.

It'll benefit the next generation in a large way.

JoeChalupa
03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
How much will it take?

exstatic
03-01-2005, 06:38 PM
That's the starting wage, Manny, and straight time of 40 hours. I understand that the pay will go up to like $26 per hour, and there is that overtime thing. An hour of overtime at that point is $39.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Honestly? for me personally? I coudln't do assembly line work for 100k a year. I just don't function when that bored. Seriously.

exstatic
03-01-2005, 06:48 PM
That's cool. Just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that it's not a 30K dead end job.

Hook Dem
03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
That's the starting wage, Manny, and straight time of 40 hours. I understand that the pay will go up to like $26 per hour, and there is that overtime thing. An hour of overtime at that point is $39.
Now, if that doesn't appeal to you, you have a serious problem.

Hook Dem
03-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Honestly? for me personally? I coudln't do assembly line work for 100k a year. I just don't function when that bored. Seriously.
You need to learn to adjust. I doubt seriously if you will ever make 100k per year though.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 06:58 PM
I've already come prety damn close and I have the tax returns to prove it.

Seriously though, I'm not motivated simply by making money. I don't need to make 100k to be happy.

desflood
03-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Money can't buy happiness, but it can rent a damn good substitute.

Hook Dem
03-01-2005, 07:16 PM
I've already come prety damn close and I have the tax returns to prove it.

Seriously though, I'm not motivated simply by making money. I don't need to make 100k to be happy.
Manny, I'm not openly criticizing you. You seem to be a bright individual and it would be a shame if you didn't take advantage of that. Make it while you are young enough to enjoy it. Most people(myself included) don't ever realize their potential. They are just satisfied to "get by". I used to think that if I didn't go dancing every saturday night, it would surely dissappear before I could get back. Guess what? Those places are still operating and will be there when I decide to go again. Oh well, just trying to prevent you from making some of the mistakes I did.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Hook, I've just come to the conclusion that I need more fullfillment out of life than being in the top tax bracket. I'm one of those weird people that feels that sometimes I should forget about working and going to school and travel the freaking world instead and find some way to get by.

Actually, I woudl do that except for the fact that I look forward to having a family one day, and I don't want to have to provide for them without a decent job.

Anyhow, the point being that making lots and lots of money is just dandy. I've been down that road and I had way more things than I have now. That was great, and I miss it at times. But there's just a part of me which just wants to experience a different lifestyle and set of experiences than those that are avaible with a job that pays that amount.

Hook Dem
03-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Thats cool Manny. If you find a way to travel and do all those things without financial backing, let me know. I'll go with you!

JoeChalupa
03-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Hook, I've just come to the conclusion that I need more fullfillment out of life than being in the top tax bracket. I'm one of those weird people that feels that sometimes I should forget about working and going to school and travel the freaking world instead and find some way to get by.

Actually, I woudl do that except for the fact that I look forward to having a family one day, and I don't want to have to provide for them without a decent job.

Anyhow, the point being that making lots and lots of money is just dandy. I've been down that road and I had way more things than I have now. That was great, and I miss it at times. But there's just a part of me which just wants to experience a different lifestyle and set of experiences than those that are avaible with a job that pays that amount.

I hear you Manny. The wife and I were talking to our oldest daughter the other day and how the world is open to her and she can be anything she wants to be if she works hard at it. She may not be the best but she could do it.

I also told her that I would me more proud of her if she became a lawyer and did pro bono work than if she became a rich lawyer. I always tell her that I don't judge sucess by the size of a man's wallet (got that from WallStreet).

When I'm at home with the wife and kids....it would be hard to find a happier and content man than I.

I hear you too Hook Dem. I tell her not to make the same mistakes I did. I too screwed around too much and didn't take college seriously enough.

Live and learn and learn to live.

Duff McCartney
03-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Money can't buy happiness, but it can rent a damn good substitute.

God damn right.

I'll take a 100k anyday of the week...especially if all you work is 40 hours a week. Even if the job is boring...I can make up those boring hours with booze and going out, especially since I'm single and am never gonna start a family.

NameDropper
03-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Rumor has it if money can't buy you happiness, then you're shopping in the wrong place.

Hook Dem
03-01-2005, 11:33 PM
"especially since I'm single and am never gonna start a family." .................................................. FAMOUS LAST WORDS! LOL
:lol