PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm disgusted. I know NJ shooting that well from behind the arc is an anomaly, and I know good teams lose to lottery teams here and there, but you will NEVER find a contending, elite team lose by 24. It just doesn't happen!

I don't think.

Bleh, very pissed about this loss. We need to bounce back against Washington/Memphis and then split @ Utah/@ Portland.

It's clear that this teams' talent level is not good enough to win a title... I know I know, most people have seen this for a while now.

We need a trade.

SOMEONE CHEER ME UP :(:(:(

Findog
12-19-2008, 10:01 PM
When the Mavs were shit in the mid-nineties and Frank the Car Man hired Don Nelson, I was happy. Not because he was inheriting a 20-win team with a bare cupboard, but because Nellie knew talent and I knew that after so many years of failure, we wouldn't be a 20-win team for long. Sure, insert obligatory Spurs taunt here about how Nellieball can't win a title, but Nellie is a basketball architect. He knows talent, and he knows how to use it. The Mavs have not had that kind of architect overseeing the roster since he left.

I don't want Cuban to turn this thing into the NBA's version of the Oakland Raiders. If there's one silver lining to the Kidd/Harris trade, it's that maybe Cuban wakes the fuck up and realizes he's not a GM. Overall, I'm happy with Cuban as the owner, despite this huge clusterfuck. An owner that is financially committed to winning is a good thing, probably about as valuable as a franchise player. Hopefully he'll let go of his ego and hire a basketball man and let that basketball man assemble the roster.

icem
12-19-2008, 10:01 PM
what a great trade...

for new jersey

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 10:09 PM
I just feel this teams problems extend beyond the production gap between Kidd and the hypothetical production Harris would've provided us this year.

J-Ho isn't the same player he was 2 years ago, Dirk is playing at a very high level but not at the level he was 2 years ago, Stackhouse is completely done... the role players aren't exceptional.

So, it seems like the team's problem is that most of the core played it's best basketball a few years ago... and the role players aren't as good as they were a few years ago... and I don't know if there's anyway to rectify that.. and it pains me :(

mavs>spurs2
12-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Did you watch the game? Harris' newfound badass all star play more than makes up for missing a few bench players from 06. And Findog posted this earlier, look at Dirk's statline for the past 15 games and tell me if hes declining.

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 10:13 PM
^ We definitely don't know whether Harris would've blossomed like that here.

Regarding Dirk, I'm speaking from a PER standpoint, which may be an irrational way of looking at it... but his true shooting % and PER are not what they were 2 years ago... the're still pretty damn good, elite even... but the slight decline can make a 3-4 game different in an 82 game season.

Findog
12-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Harris still here without Avery would be good for about 18-19 a game and 4-5 assists. Not what he's doing in Jersey, but better than what we have. Kidd ironically is finally doing what he was brought here to do without Avery. That obviously doesn't salvage the trade, and you're right that the team's problems go beyond the perceived gap between Kidd and Harris.

Josh's regression is a major issue; the team was constructed in such a way that he's supposed to be the #2 option but you rarely get that kind of production from him. Most night his play is that of a third or fourth option. Remember when he used to get compared to Scottie Pippen? His game is a rich man's Tayshaun Prince, not trying to be The Man like he's D-Wade.

Findog
12-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Did you watch the game? Harris' newfound badass all star play more than makes up for missing a few bench players from 06. And Findog posted this earlier, look at Dirk's statline for the past 15 games and tell me if hes declining.

It makes me so angry that Dirk is playing about as fucking well as he ever has but the team is worse. We're wasting his prime.

Findog
12-19-2008, 10:15 PM
^ We definitely don't know whether Harris would've blossomed like that here.

Regarding Dirk, I'm speaking from a PER standpoint, which may be an irrational way of looking at it... but his true shooting % and PER are not what they were 2 years ago... the're still pretty damn good, elite even... but the slight decline can make a 3-4 game different in an 82 game season.

Harris just needed a coach who believed in him and was willing to let him play through his inevitable mistakes. The Nets were not a contender when he arrived and Frank handed him the keys. He's better as a result. Avery is a dictator and wants to hold his players hands.

mattb_25
12-19-2008, 10:16 PM
I think that if Cuban gets a new gm, that they can pull some shit together and bring the mavericks back to a winning team. He's just got to cut this crap about how this is the best mavs team we've ever had or that our 3 can play with the other best 3 we have. Right now I believe we only have 2 players doing anything in Dirk and Jet. But that's really the only people who seemto be playing good. We have DG starting for our team for fucks sake...

mavs>spurs2
12-19-2008, 10:17 PM
PER is so misleading because Dirk is out there for the majority of the game, so the team's success will reflect greatly on his PER. We're obvioulsy not having that same success. But you're right about Devin being an unkown factor if he were still here, but I'd place my money on 17-20 ppg and a much improved Dallas Mavericks team with a more fluid offense and better perimeter D. A pass first PG just doesn't fit in a system where he has no one to pass to, IMO. Dirk is more of a guy who likes the iso as opposed to running off screens and cuts, meaning his game doesn't rely as much on having a PG like Kidd.

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 10:19 PM
My heart aches for Dirk, Terry, and Kidd :(... I just get a sense that they try, and care!

But not for that cursed J-Ho though... one gets a sense he doesn't try, and doesn't care!

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm fearful of Dirk potentially mentally shutting it down if the team continues to be mediocre.

Findog
12-19-2008, 10:21 PM
My heart aches for Dirk, Terry, and Kidd :(... I just get a sense that they try, and care!

But not for that cursed J-Ho though... one gets a sense he doesn't try, and doesn't care!

That's pretty much how I feel. Oh how I wish we could package Josh and the rest of the garbage for something tangible.

mavs>spurs2
12-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Packaging Josh for anyone in the same neighborhood talent wise would pretty much insure about 5-8 more wins and a good probability of getting out of the first round. Dude's a cancer, his game has regressed, and were much better off without his services.

Findog
12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Packaging Josh for anyone in the same neighborhood talent wise would pretty much insure about 5-8 more wins and a good probability of getting out of the first round. Dude's a cancer, his game has regressed, and were much better off without his services.

Josh makes me so angry, I'd fucking give him away at this point. He's getting millions to play a game, he was blessed to fall to a good team instead of having to carry a shit team, and he doesn't seem to give a crap, win or lose. He's checked out mentally on this franchise, and that's unforgivable. You get $8 million a year or whatever it is, you're paid to give a shit. If playing for the Mavs is so bad, then demand a trade and say you don't want to be a part of the franchise anymore. Nellie did the same thing when he checked out mentally but still continued to "coach" the team and get his paycheck. Have the balls to ask out.

mavs>spurs2
12-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Josh makes me so angry, I'd fucking give him away at this point. He's getting millions to play a game, he was blessed to fall to a good team instead of having to carry a shit team, and he doesn't seem to give a crap, win or lose. He's checked out mentally on this franchise, and that's unforgivable. You get $8 million a year or whatever it is, you're paid to give a shit. If playing for the Mavs is so bad, then demand a trade and say you don't want to be a part of the franchise anymore. Nellie did the same thing when he checked out mentally but still continued to "coach" the team and get his paycheck. Have the balls to ask out.

You're exactly right, and with Donnie's "we love our team" attitude, Josh demanding a trade is probably the only way we ever get rid of him. Someone in this situation needs to step up and grow some balls, whether it's Donnie or Josh.

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 10:35 PM
:(:(:(:(:(:(

endrity
12-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Josh could care less, he has lost his fire. Check the highlights of game 7 vs. SA and tell me if he has played like that since. Once or twice maybe, but not in the last year that's for sure.

And Findog, they WASTED Dirk's prime. If he was more like KG he would be gone now, maybe to Portland or Cleveland and actually try to win a ring.

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 10:40 PM
The front office has made a plethora of unrectifiable (I dunno if thats a word :D) blunders during Dirk's prime, no doubt.

But in his prime, he did make the Finals (AND SHOULDVE WON DAMN BENETT SALVAOTRES WHISTLE :D) and win an MVP.

There have been far more wasted primes than Dirks.

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 10:40 PM
But THIS particular season sure looks like a waste of one of Dirk's last prime years, no doubt.

Ghazi
12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
At this point, it's hard for me to get excited unless a trade is made.

I was pleased during that 11-2 stretch with well played losses to LA and San Antonio, yet at the same time, it was hard to get excited because the brand of basketball didn't look, and wasn't, elite.

From here on out, this team may have nice little 5 game win streaks, stretches where they go 8-2, etc etc... but the tone has been set for the season. A slightly above average, unspectacular brand of basketball... that is who we appear to be, and will continue to be.

And this bothers me :(

Brickhouse
12-20-2008, 12:09 AM
And to think that some were actually excited about Josh-poor-man's-Stack-Howard coming back.

Josh and his stepback jumper have returned in full glory!!

Ghazi
12-20-2008, 12:16 AM
^ I wasn't that excited!

and I don't think we're better w/o Josh Howard... but I don't think we're better w/ Josh Howard, either.

In other words, he's expendable, and should be shopped for a piece that would actually have an imprint on the game when he's playing.

DaDakota
12-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Cuban and his meddling SCREWED the Mavs chances...they go from championship contender to also ran with one stupid trade.

Monumental failure on his part.

DD

lurker
12-20-2008, 01:00 AM
lol, Mark and Kidd are pissy.

There's a debate going on, one that will likely last for a while, about who got the better end of the Devin Harris-for-Jason Kidd deal - the Nets or the Mavericks?

With just over two minutes left in the Nets' 121-97 win over Dallas Friday night at the Meadowlands, Nets fans shouted out their answer.

"Thank you, Cuban! Thank you, Cuban!" they chanted.

Harris had just left the game after scoring 41 points and dishing out 13 assists. Kidd had 17 points, seven assists and four rebounds.

One game in December may not put an end to the argument. But perhaps Harris' season-long dominance is the best indication of what the Nets received and what Dallas gave up. He went into the game averaging 23.8 points, sixth in the league.

After the game, I asked Kidd if he heard the chants about Cuban and he responded, "When they were talking about his dancing?"

Moments later, someone asked a follow-up question about that topic and Kidd said, "What's that got to do with me? You answer that question. Ask Cuban. Did you ask Cuban? Ask him."

So we did. And here's what the Mavericks owner said:

"I guess when you don't care about your own team you talk about someone on the other team, right? I guess that's what Nets fans are all about...I think the goal of everybody in New Jersey is to be a general manager. So I can understand why they want to share their expertise."

Then calling it a "single game," Cuban said he has no regrets about the deal and that he's not surprised at how well Harris has played for the Nets.

"No. They built the offense around him. The kid can score. That's what he does," Cuban said. "When he's like that he's very comparable to Allen Iverson. That's the way he's playing. He deserves a lot of credit; he's a great kid. But he just fills a different role than we felt we needed when we made the trade. We have a lot of scorers. We have a lot of shooters. So it's different. We don't run an offense where he would just dominate the ball. It is what it is."

I have to admit, being from New Jersey, I wanted to smack Cuban when he took a couple of jabs at fans from the state. But I have to give the guy credit, he's a good sport and obviously keeps things in perspective.

"Everybody's a general manager," he said. "But as long as people are having fun at the game, that's more important."

Brickhouse
12-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Cuban is a fucktard that will never admit it. Why even bother with that. Just take a look at his face at the game...looked exactly like his expression after game 6 in GS.

"We have a lot of shooters"

HAHAHHAHAHAHA. Yeah that explains why Dirk and Jet have to carry the entire offensive load b/c you have incompetents like Erica and Dick Breath who can't even handle the ball out there, and the second coming of Jerry Brickhouse in JHo.

Roxsfan
12-20-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm disgusted. I know NJ shooting that well from behind the arc is an anomaly, and I know good teams lose to lottery teams here and there, but you will NEVER find a contending, elite team lose by 24. It just doesn't happen!

I don't think.

Bleh, very pissed about this loss. We need to bounce back against Washington/Memphis and then split @ Utah/@ Portland.

It's clear that this teams' talent level is not good enough to win a title... I know I know, most people have seen this for a while now.

We need a trade.

SOMEONE CHEER ME UP :(:(:(

Fuck all those arrogant fucks on Dallas-mavs.com--crying on the game thread--they're all going to commit suicide.

fuck:wow, Harris,Mac's Cuz, and the Nets ripped the mavs 12 new assholes per each player and coach tonight:lmao

Ghazi
12-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I dunno what you just said, but I am crying on here, and there :(

But enough crying for tonight, for tommorow is a brand new day.

God willing our Mavs make a trade soon... and if not, I will suffer with them :)

Roxsfan
12-20-2008, 01:15 AM
I dunno what you just said, but I am crying on here, and there :(

But enough crying for tonight, for tommorow is a brand new day.

God willing our Mavs make a trade soon... and if not, I will suffer with them :)

Devin Harris, T-Mac's cousin-Vince Carter, and the rest of the NETS ripped the mavs players and coaches 12 new assholes each. (instead of just getting ripped a new one, they got ripped 12 new ones)

that was one violent ass whooping.

Indazone
12-20-2008, 01:40 AM
I have only one thing to say to all the Mavsfans and a special shoutout to Mono.

http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

sribb43
12-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Anyone remember the last time J-Ho dunked the ball...was it in the 06 playoffs?

Shank
12-20-2008, 09:34 AM
You know what I'd love to see happen?

Absolutely nothing.

I'd love to see this same roster play out the entire season and for Donnie/Mark to continually praise the fake hard work and efforts of this team. Then, when the Mavs end the season 40-42, they can all put on their replica jerseys and blow their fucking brains out against the office walls. THEN, maybe they'll bring someone in that's not attached to the players as though they were their girlfriends and someone can shake up the rot on this roster.

Dirk stays. Terry stays. Kidd, if not able to get something back for that expiring, stays. Everyone else? Get fucked in Oklahoma City or with the Clippers for the rest of your shitty careers.

Oh, and Dick Breath? He has the same clause as last year. That piece of shit isn't going anywhere unless he checks off on it.

j-money24
12-20-2008, 12:59 PM
j-blunt smokes a blunt everytime before the game starts.
that is something the beloved mavs enjoy.

monosylab1k
12-20-2008, 02:21 PM
I have only one thing to say to all the Mavsfans and a special shoutout to Mono.

http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Did you think your song and dance and your superstition would help you, Eli? I am the Third Revelation! I am who the Lord has chosen!

Indazone
12-20-2008, 09:07 PM
oh by the way Mono..did I forget to tell you...

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/7/0/5/705cec1dfc86aae1bf43718896548faf.jpg