PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers are not a serious contender

DrHouse
12-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Not this season. There are too many glaring weaknesses I see and without an immediate roster change I don't think they have the time to address them.

The roster needs to be slightly revamped. They need to bring in a defensive PG or SF, preferably both though I think Ariza can fill the SF spot by next season. They also could use a veteran or two on the bench to bring consistency and leadership. Most importantly they need a serious commitment to defense. Someone from outside Phil's circle needs to be brought in.

Until they make these changes they will be pretenders. This team will probably win the WC, but the real contenders are in the EC and they are playing fantastic ball right now.

lil_penny
12-19-2008, 11:44 PM
If they don't win it all this year I don't see kobe there next year, they need to make some immediate changes if they wanna stand a chance against either c's in the east.

Warlord23
12-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Talk about overreacting. They are absolutely a contender simply because of the massive talent advantage they have over almost all the other teams in the L.

Their only problem is a lack of toughness, both mental and physical. So long as they play teams who they easily overcome in talent, they will win a 7 game series. However, when the talent level is close, the tougher team wins a 7 gamer. And no team that has won the title has ever been as soft as the Lakers currently appear to be.

Of course, we are not even a third of the way in. There is a long way to go. Maybe they will acquire a defensive identity gradually. Or maybe Boston will face injuries. Who knows? But they are still a contender, no doubt.

LA24
12-19-2008, 11:52 PM
"The Lakers are not a serious contender"

:rolleyes

Here we go again.

dirk4mvp
12-19-2008, 11:53 PM
This is like a small taste of the Spurs forum after a loss.

Armando
12-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Is one loss don't get carry away. Wade is a beast

SpursDynasty
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
They were never a serious contender to begin with. No one expected them to win the championship last year and they didn't.

Spur-Addict
Did anyone just hear Avery diss Bynum?

"Bill said Perkins needs to step is game up and he did, unlike Bynum". :lol

Kobe™
Championships aren't won in December.

Roxsfan
12-19-2008, 11:59 PM
they're a contender, not sure they have improved enough to take down the celts though.

lil_penny
12-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Champoinships may not be won in december but games against below 500 teams should be... lakers have had the 2nd easiest schedule thus far let's see how they are in a month or so.

SmellyFeet
12-20-2008, 12:05 AM
At least phil got off his phat ass during this game....now go out there and chew some ass, you fat zen bastard.

DrHouse
12-20-2008, 12:06 AM
It's the way in which the Lakers are winning/losing games that is a telling sign to me.

It's all the intangibles that this team lacks (i.e. killer instinct, mental toughness, guys willing to sacrifice their bodies, etc.). No championship team has ever been this soft.

It pains me to say this but the Lakers are fucking soft. Let me repeat that. They are fucking SOFT.

lil_penny
12-20-2008, 12:06 AM
At least phil got off his phat ass during this game....now go out there and chew some ass, you fat zen bastard.

Bwhahahahahaha

mrspurs
12-20-2008, 12:11 AM
they're a contender, not sure they have improved enough to take down the celts though.

+1

Rohirrim
12-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Let us combine forces to take down a common enemy!

Ghazi
12-20-2008, 12:15 AM
If the Lakers aren't serious contenders, who is? Even though they've looked "Meh" lately, no team outside of Cleveland and Boston has looked better.

Unless we agree that there are only two contenders: Cleveland and Boston... but I'll still consider the Lakers as the 3rd contender.

lefty
12-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Wgaf

Kobe™
12-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Let us combine forces to take down a common enemy!

Give us Tony Parker

phyzik
12-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Spursdynasty forum....

If the Lakers aren't contenders then I dont know who is (and I hate the fact that I had to say that).

LA24
12-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Give us Tony Parker

I'll take CP and Duncan. :lol

Showtime24 LAKERS
12-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Not the players. The responsability is a Coaching Staff that does not realize that it is imperative to bring in a bona fide defensive coordinator, and to put in a defensive system. The fault is also of the veteran players that have to find the balls to whip the rest of the team into following a new defensive direction. A new focus is needed, and it is entirely a focus on defense. This is not rocket science. If Phil Jackson, in primis, does not realize the necessity of this, then we will not get to the Finals, let alone beat cohesive teams such as Cleveland, or Boston. If somebody wants to think those of us continually saying these "inconvenient truths", about our team are simply traitorous imbeciles, then I suggest that they enjoy the regular season wins, and backslap all the other fans that are contented just with those, however, they should not be shocked when another team with real balls, and that wants to put in the work to defend, just whales the crap out of this pretty collection of underachieving wusses, and sends them packing to an early exit meekly, and with their tails between their legs wondering what happened!

Roxsfan
12-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Wgaf

http://www.melbourne.lib.ia.us/images/Jeopardy.jpg

regarding your sig:

"What is bore you to death"?

TheMACHINE
12-20-2008, 04:14 PM

I agree...they're a contender...no doubt...championship ready..maybe not. A bit overreacting by the original poster.

IronMexican
12-20-2008, 04:19 PM
It definitely is overreaction. I can't even go to Laker forums without getting annoyed. All it is is crying. The only crying I will ever do is to trade LO.

Trainwreck2100
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
The Heat were just beating a team they were supposed to beat nothing to see hear

bostonguy
12-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Not this season. There are too many glaring weaknesses I see and without an immediate roster change I don't think they have the time to address them.

The roster needs to be slightly revamped. They need to bring in a defensive PG or SF, preferably both though I think Ariza can fill the SF spot by next season. They also could use a veteran or two on the bench to bring consistency and leadership. Most importantly they need a serious commitment to defense. Someone from outside Phil's circle needs to be brought in.

Until they make these changes they will be pretenders. This team will probably win the WC, but the real contenders are in the EC and they are playing fantastic ball right now.

Calm the fuck down Dr. House. It isnt even xmas yet. There is time to make a move and also time to turn the season around. Trust me once you beat the Celtics on Thursday, youll start feeling better. Phil does need to preach D to the team. The 3 peat squad played pretty fucking solid D and Phil made a big deal about it. The Lakers dont need to play D like the Celts/Spurs/Cavs do. Just overall good solid D that can make stops especially in the 4th when it is needed. I refuse to count out coach Jackson. That fucker tends to have things turn around whenever the season seems to have major concerns. They are 21-4 tho so it isnt like they are losing alot. Phil just needs to commit them to play D and have patience while playing it. Physical play helps but it does so much. Phil is a smart man.

cobbler
12-20-2008, 06:48 PM
The roster needs to be slightly revamped. They need to bring in a defensive PG or SF, preferably both though I think Ariza can fill the SF spot by next season.

You may get your wish...

Reporting from Orlando -- Lakers guard Jordan Farmar sustained a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee in the fourth quarter of Friday's game against the Miami Heat.

The third-year guard will return to Los Angeles on Sunday and be examined by a team doctor on Monday, at which point an update will be issued.

bostonguy
12-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Even if the Lakers somehow dont beat the Celts, fans shouldnt act like the year is over. BTW my flight to Los Angeles is set for early Tuesday morning.

Again the natural high feeling of viewing this game at staples center is going to be overwhelming the minute I sit down and it wont be going away until hours after the game ends. Fans can tell me to shove a flagpole up my ass, suck cock, go to an all white boy Boston circle jerk, or tell me the loss of Posey will haunt us and that we are overrated and I will be perfectly fine with it. This is a huge deal to me. Im so fucking honored to see a Lakers home game especially in a beautiful stadium. Im even starting to have trouble sleeping with this excitement.