PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Oberto still out, Mahinmi not close

Spurs Brazil
12-20-2008, 08:29 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2008/12/jeff-mcdonald-o-5.html

Jeff McDonald: Oberto still out, Mahinmi not close
By Jeff McDonald on December 20, 2008 6:38 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
The Spurs will continue to be without center Fabricio Oberto for the next few games.

Oberto complained of a sore left foot before the start of Thursday's game at Orlando. The unofficial diagnosis -- "a weird foot thing," coach Gregg Popovich said -- will keep Oberto on the shelf for the next week or so.

Oberto originally began feeling pain in the foot earlier in the week.

"But he didn't tell anybody," Popovich said.

It wasn't until after a pre-game workout in Orlando that Oberto felt uncomfortable enough to talk to the team's medical staff. To replace Oberto on the active roster, the Spurs recalled forward Anthony Tolliver from Austin on Friday.

In other injured Spurs big-man news, there is no timetable for Ian Mahinmi to return from what has been a season-long bout with dueling ankle issues.

"He's had an ankle problem for four months," Popovich said. "I don't think about Ian too much, as far as playing goes right now."

Fattmac78
12-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Can somebody please tell me what the fuc are we waiting on trying to sign a dam big man!!!!???? Im really getting tired of the dumbass managment. I mean, if th bigs we got are hurt you would think they just sign someone off the street. They have had Mahimi for 4yrs going back and forth to the D-league. Got rid of Scola like some asses. Then signed a ass that bailed out on us before even putting on a uniform. They need to go against the grain and find a big ass thug. Or maybe even Rodman or somebody.

honestfool84
12-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Can somebody please tell me what the fuc are we waiting on trying to sign a dam big man!!!!???? Im really getting tired of the dumbass managment. I mean, if th bigs we got are hurt you would think they just sign someone off the street. They have had Mahimi for 4yrs going back and forth to the D-league. Got rid of Scola like some asses. Then signed a ass that bailed out on us before even putting on a uniform. They need to go against the grain and find a big ass thug. Or maybe even Rodman or somebody.

maybe they should hire you?

:lmao at the fans who think they know more than the GM who've won FOUR CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Ice009
12-20-2008, 09:19 PM
I've almost had enough of Mahinmi. I know he is hurt and that is not his fault, but we need help now. We can't keep waiting around for him.

Why not go after Mutumbo or someone younger?

xtremesteven33
12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Ive officially jumped off the Mahinmi "Savior Bandwagon"

Rohirrim
12-20-2008, 09:34 PM
It's not like Ian will magically start playing in January and be ready for crucial playoff minutes anyways. This season is a bust for him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-20-2008, 09:43 PM

Retarded is what you are.

Ice009
12-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Yep. I think it is too late for Ian to make the rotation this season.

We need to start looking at other options now.

jag
12-20-2008, 10:37 PM
It's not like Ian will magically start playing in January and be ready for crucial playoff minutes anyways. This career is a bust for him.

fixed

Danny.Zhu
12-20-2008, 11:04 PM

agree

K-State Spur
12-20-2008, 11:13 PM

yeah, because there are just hundreds of quality big men on the street. they practically grow on trees you know...

i would be mildly surprised if they don't make a deal closer to the deadline. but nobody is just giving anybody away right now. even a mediocre big would likely cost us Hill, and then we'd have to deal with a hundred threads asking if vaughn is the best we can do as a back-up PG.

benefactor
12-20-2008, 11:14 PM
One thing is for sure, if Tolliver can't find his shot in these next few games while Oberto is on the shelf he will probably be gone when he comes back. If that happens we really need to consider an audition for Andre Brown/Courtney Sims/Richard Hendrix. I feel like having more than one Bonner is unnecessary and we would benefit more from either a long SF or a rebounding, physical big to spell Duncan. Udoka could be etching his name on a tombstone also, which might give Hairston a chance to come up an show what he can do.

pawe
12-20-2008, 11:35 PM
I feel bad for Mahinmi, he played for the spurs for a few games a year ago but did not make a lasting impression and now he's injured and cant contribute specially now that the team needs a big. I guess it's time for the Spurs to move on and explore different options.

ploto
12-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Ian is hurt more than Beno. :lol

underdawg
12-20-2008, 11:51 PM
One thing is for sure, if Tolliver can't find his shot in these next few games while Oberto is on the shelf he will probably be gone when he comes back. If that happens we really need to consider an audition for Andre Brown/Courtney Sims/Richard Hendrix. I feel like having more than one Bonner is unnecessary and we would benefit more from either a long SF or a rebounding, physical big to spell Duncan. Udoka could be etching his name on a tombstone also, which might give Hairston a chance to come up an show what he can do.

or PF James Mays - Colorado 14ers; 6'9/230lbs and can shoot the 3; good defender at Clemson

angelbelow
12-20-2008, 11:52 PM
damn it ian, such high hopes only to hear that youre not close. he looked decent in the shootarounds didnt he?

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2008, 12:02 AM
ian mahinmi the fukn busts before and after....hahahahahahaa

this guy has so many opportunities its not even funni anymore, i cbf waiting for him...even if he does make the team this season? i hope he ends up being a busts......

timvp
12-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Pop is always pessimistic when talking about Mahinmi's health ... but it doesn't sound like he'll be ready to play anytime soon. It sounds like his original ankle injury may not even be healed yet.

I was hoping Mahinmi would be back at some point in January but I might have to delay that hope until February now . . .

Bender
12-21-2008, 12:07 AM
sounds like Pop has written off mahinmi also

bdictjames
12-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Hope that foot thing of Oberto is fine. Could be plantar fasciitis, or a pinched nerve. We need him to be as agile as he can be.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-21-2008, 12:12 AM

YES, bring Rodman out of retirement. Big man problem = fixed.

DROB4EVER
12-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Why are we giving Tolliver any mins, we should have signed that other guy on the Toros....forgot his name the 6-11 guy and see what he can do. Tolliver cant hit a shot in the pros!

What are the ankel issues with Ian, are they made of glass? Breaks heal in 3 months and even acl tears can be healed in as little as 5-6months and he can get on the floor with ankel issues? Put some braces on his ankels and lets go!

Fattmac78
12-21-2008, 12:19 AM
For anyone who says im retarded, you must havent been watching Mahimi for the last couple of yrs. Or the Spurs for that much. We need someone who can drive and has a decent mid-range game. Im tried of watching us jack up 3s like we down by 20 or something. A then aint got no help on the boards. Forgive me for being a real fan and watching my team. Because if Timmy is having a off night an not hitting the boards we're screwed. I had NBA league pass last yr an i watched 80 games. every game the same dam thang. Its time for a change. An I know we shouldnt sign some thug off the street, but that was how serious we need help downlow in my eyes. Every draft you an I say the same dam thang. " Can they please sign someone we can use right now an not someone they plan on sending overseas or to the D-league". We got blessed with Hill. Because im sure if you didnt know who he was you looked at his school and said what the fuck are they doing. Lets keep it real. No I dont have a clue who they should sign, nor do i no how much moey they have. But I do know this! We need to do something, like cut ties with some of these jack up 3s people we got. An please quit talking about us signing Deke, besause he's boing to Beantown just to coat-tail into a ring. So he think.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-21-2008, 12:23 AM
For anyone who says im retarded, you must havent been watching Mahimi for the last couple of yrs. Or the Spurs for that much. We need someone who can drive and has a decent mid-range game. Im tried of watching us jack up 3s like we down by 20 or something. A then aint got no help on the boards. Forgive me for being a real fan and watching my team. Because if Timmy is having a off night an not hitting the boards we're screwed. I had NBA league pass last yr an i watched 80 games. every game the same dam thang. Its time for a change. An I know we shouldnt sign some thug off the street, but that was how serious we need help downlow in my eyes. Every draft you an I say the same dam thang. " Can they please sign someone we can use right now an not someone they plan on sending overseas or to the D-league". We got blessed with Hill. Because im sure if you didnt know who he was you looked at his school and said what the fuck are they doing. Lets keep it real. No I dont have a clue who they should sign, nor do i no how much moey they have. But I do know this! We need to do something, like cut ties with some of these jack up 3s people we got. An please quit talking about us signing Deke, besause he's boing to Beantown just to coat-tail into a ring. So he think.

I didn't say you were retarded, but the vocabulary of that post has me thinking otherwise. Inside outside basketball is key, sucking the defense inside to open three point shooters is what modern day basketball is. Hate three pointers all you want but the 3-ball contributed a lot to SA in 05 and 07.

They are the best defensive rebounding team in basketball, I don't think they need help down low.

Fattmac78
12-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Are You Serious?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Are You Serious?

Check the stats, they are in their own tier as far as defensive rebounding is concerned. 78.1% while the next best team is at 75.9%, big difference with the other 29 teams.

Fattmac78
12-21-2008, 12:33 AM
And to you honestfool84. The GM dont win CS, the players on the court does. Some of those people that the GM you speaking of never see the court the whole playoff. So what the hell are you talking about. Not even 3ths ago everybody on this forum was talking about throwing Bonner under the bus. Some still do. Then I read a post talking about trading Manu. What the hell that MF smoking!?!

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 12:56 AM
sounds like Pop has written off mahinmi also

All the more reason the Spurs should be auditioning other candidate bigs right now.

Biggems
12-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Ian's ankles are made of glass and his theme song is.......Walkin on Walkin on Broken Glass

Austin_Toros
12-21-2008, 01:31 AM
this is why we should have drafted DeAndre Jordan

although i wouldnt mind trading for cedric simmonds or signing coutney sims

T Park
12-21-2008, 02:16 AM

two driveled filled posts and not one name who to sign or one solution.

stfu until u name names monday morning gm.

Kori Ellis
12-21-2008, 02:28 AM
The last few quotes from Pop about Mahinmi sound like Pop has pretty much given up on him. I had hoped he would be able to contribute nicely by season's end but at this point, I doubt it.

ian mahinmi the fukn busts before and after....hahahahahahaa

this guy has so many opportunities its not even funni anymore, i cbf waiting for him...even if he does make the team this season? i hope he ends up being a busts......

It's sick for supposed Spurs fans to say that they "hope" he's a career bust. Yet, I guess that makes those people not really Spurs fans anyway. How can you hope that a Spurs player will suck?

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-21-2008, 02:31 AM
give rod benson a 10 day contract

anakha
12-21-2008, 02:35 AM
It's sick for supposed Spurs fans to say that they "hope" he's a career bust. Yet, I guess that makes those people not really Spurs fans anyway. How can you hope that a Spurs player will suck?

He's been hoping the same thing for Parker in seasons past.

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 02:42 AM
I've been hoping Ian could make his debut by 1/14, in time to offically meet Andrew Bynum. Spurs could've used him against Dwight Howard also. It's a damn shame that he's not here.

senorglory
12-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Everyone just relax, Kurt Thomas is getting healthy and will be able to fill in plenty of quality minutes in the front court rotation.

mrspurs
12-21-2008, 09:10 AM
We dont need Ian. I mean all we do is shoot 3s anyways. If Ian could shoot the 3 ball maybe Pop might give him a chance.

Spur-Addict
12-21-2008, 09:22 AM
give rod benson a 10 day contract

:lmao........:lmao...We do need to start looking around though.

Everyone just relax, Kurt Thomas is getting healthy and will be able to fill in plenty of quality minutes in the front court rotation.

Kurt cannot honestly be your response for the C spot needs, is he?

---------

We don't have much of a choice but to continue to hope for Mahinmi unless the front office shows otherwise. So that's what i'm going to continue to do despite what Pop says, or despite what Mahinmi's ankles say. The glaring need at C is disheartening but damn if I can't hope. He's coming, late is better than never.

galvatron3000
12-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, I guess with one roster spot open the Spurs will look to sign a big. Tolliver is not liely the answer and with the Bigs dwindling at this rate like the pG did a few seasons ago we need to sew that up.

Bruno
12-21-2008, 10:58 AM
This injury is a heck of a nightmare for Ian. I hope he will see the end of it quite soon.
It also seems that Spurs have changed their strategy. Instead of sending him in D-League to do all the end of the rehab, they keep him with Spurs. It's obviously a safer solution.

exstatic
12-21-2008, 12:49 PM
This injury is a heck of a nightmare for Ian. I hope he will see the end of it quite soon.
It also seems that Spurs have changed their strategy. Instead of sending him in D-League to do all the end of the rehab, they keep him with Spurs. It's obviously a safer solution.

I think he's still healing, and for that, it's better if he has access to the big club's docs and trainers. Once they determine he's healed, he will probably go to Austin on a rehab assignment to play his way back into game shape.

fattmac78 - People call you an idiot because you spout things like Mahinmi has been bouncing between SA and Austin for 4 seasons. It's been 1.25 seasons, idiot.

T Park
12-21-2008, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=Spur-Addict;2977537]

Kurt cannot honestly be your response for the C spot needs, is he?

---------

QUOTE]

8 blocks in two games, 12 rebounds last night

What the hell else do you want?

Oh yeah, he doesn't DUNK.

The old weak arguement about Rasho.

Spur-Addict
12-21-2008, 01:26 PM
8 blocks in two games, 12 rebounds last night

What the hell else do you want?

Oh yeah, he doesn't DUNK.

The old weak arguement about Rasho.

Where do I say anything about dunking? You need to try harder at owning people. He played well against the Raptors and has a handful of blocks, WOW. Where is his sustained production? Where is it at Park? Exactly.

He averaged a mind boggling 4 points and 5 rebounds of greatness in the playoffs last year. If I’m not mistaken that's when it counts most. Yeah, he got owned by a handful of bigs last year, way to lock it down Kurt.

As we all know the regular season isn't the measuring stick; and if his inconsistent jumpshot coupled with his inability to finish consistently at the rim warrants him the answer, then heck, what was I thinking?

He hasn't shown last year, or this year to be that answer. He may show otherwise, but up until now, no sir. There is an obvious weakness there, and if you think it's all fine and peaches, you go ahead and stay there. You 'll be there with the rest of the delusional spectators.

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Spurs do need help on the frontline. That's why we're all clamoring to see Ian make his debut.

wildbill2u
12-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Mahimi may be one of those big men whose bodies simply aren't built for the rigors of NBA basketball.

Pop has moved on and isn't thinking about him for this year. We should do the same.

wisnub
12-21-2008, 07:56 PM
do you guys knows status for Ian..is he ready to play,rehab or what?? How is tolliver developing in D League? Is he a better play right now or he just get lucky on summer??

benefactor
12-21-2008, 08:43 PM
do you guys knows status for Ian..is he ready to play,rehab or what??

He is still injured and nowhere close to being ready to play. It's looking more and more like he won't be able to help much this season

How is tolliver developing in D League? Is he a better play right now or he just get lucky on summer??
He is back with the Spurs because of the Oberto injury. He played the other night against Toronto and was the same old Tolliver...hustled well and played pretty good D but could make a shot to save his life.