PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Timing Right For Thomas' Big Night

duncan228
12-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Timing right for Thomas' big night (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Timing_right_for_Thomas_big_night.html)
By Mike Monroe

The timing of Spurs veteran Kurt Thomas' most productive game of the season could not have been better.

With center Fabricio Oberto expected to miss about a week's worth of games with an injury coach Gregg Popovich describes as “some kind of weird foot thing,” Thomas on Saturday grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds and blocked a season-high three shots in the Spurs' 107-97 victory over the Toronto Raptors at the AT&T Center.

Thomas used all the tricks he has learned in 13 previous NBA seasons to defend Toronto's All-Star big men, Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Bosh. Two of his three blocks came on quick chops on the ball as O'Neal tried to bring it up for a shot.

“That's something I've been doing over the years,” Thomas said.

“You've got to give credit to the offensive players, but when they do get by me I just try to use my timing and get my hands on the ball.”

After missing most of training camp and the preseason with a strained left hamstring, Thomas struggled through the first month of the season. Finally, he believes the rhythm of his game is returning.

“I'm trying to go out there and just play solid,” he said. “I had a real slow start at the beginning of the season with that injury. With us being down one big man for a while, I definitely want to do whatever is needed out there.”

Thomas made only 2 of 6 shots, but said the mid-range shot that has produced the bulk of his scoring over the years slowly is returning.

“I just keep working in the gym getting shots up,” he said. “The coaching staff has really been working with me, and my teammates continue to tell me that when I get the ball, just shoot it.”

Oberto's injury was something of a mystery, in part because he tried to play through pain in his sore foot.

“He didn't say anything to anybody,” Popovich said. “He finally told (head athletic trainer) Will (Sevening) right before the Orlando game that he couldn't go, and if he can't go, he can't go. He's a pretty tough kid.”

Oberto underwent an MRI exam on the foot Friday. The exam revealed a strained muscle.

Rookie big man Anthony Tolliver was recalled from the Spurs' Austin Toros NBA Development League team after the MRI. Popovich gave him eight minutes in Saturday's game, but he missed all five of his shots, three of them from 3-point range.

Announcer injured: Public address announced Kevin “Big Kev” Brock missed Saturday's game after suffering an injury while shooting some baskets a few hours before the tipoff.

According to Spurs director of game operations Chris Garcia, Brock attempted a shot and heard a pop in his left knee. As he shifted his weight off his left leg, he heard a pop in his right knee.

Brock left the arena to get medical treatment. He was replaced on the microphone by in-arena host Chuck Cureau.

honestfool84
12-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Announcer injured: Public address announced Kevin “Big Kev” Brock missed Saturday's game after suffering an injury while shooting some baskets a few hours before the tipoff.

According to Spurs director of game operations Chris Garcia, Brock attempted a shot and heard a pop in his left knee. As he shifted his weight off his left leg, he heard a pop in his right knee.

Brock left the arena to get medical treatment. He was replaced on the microphone by in-arena host Chuck Cureau.

OUCH.

timvp
12-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Two of his three blocks came on quick chops on the ball as O'Neal tried to bring it up for a shot.Those chops down on the ball shouldn't be counted as blocked shots. If they were, Karl Malone would have averaged about seven blocks per game.

Either the Spurs had a replacement statistician or he hit the eggnog a bit early this year.

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Those chops down on the ball shouldn't be counted as blocked shots. If they were, Karl Malone would have averaged about seven blocks per game.

Either the Spurs had a replacement statistician or he hit the eggnog a bit early this year.

I thought that was odd too. However, I'm glad to see a Spurs player turn the tables and execute a strategy that opponents have successfully utlized against Tim Duncan for years.

MI21
12-21-2008, 02:50 AM
I thought that was odd too. However, I'm glad to see a Spurs player turn the tables and execute a strategy that opponents have successfully utlized against Tim Duncan for years.

No kidding.

I hate when Timmy goes into sook mode and starts overdribbling and keeping the ball low which is followed by this :madrun

Blackjack
12-21-2008, 03:34 AM
Those chops down on the ball shouldn't be counted as blocked shots. If they were, Karl Malone would have averaged about seven blocks per game.

:tu

I started to notice it last year when the Spurs played in Denver. Kenyon got credit for something like 8 blocks in the game, which had to mean they were counting the "chops" as blocks.

It's pretty ridiculous, but it seems to be happening more and more.

The one positive is, Tim looks to have incorporated Kurt's "chop" into his game, which should help on the court and the stat sheet.:smokin

Obstructed_View
12-21-2008, 03:36 AM

I hope so, since the current one has supposedly been robbing Duncan of blocks for a while.