PDA

View Full Version : Bonner's New-Found Confidence Paying Off For Spurs

duncan228
12-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Bonner's new-found confidence paying off for Spurs (http://www.thestar.com/Article/557005)
Dave Feschuk

SAN ANTONIO — When Matt Bonner was a Toronto Raptor, his signature move wasn't his machine-like three-point stroke or his hard-foul clothesline, though he had both in his arsenal. His signature move was a look.

A young perfectionist who lacked some confidence, Bonner would habitually interrupt his game to flash his coach, Sam Mitchell, a trademark glance. His arms outstretched, his mouth agape, he would look at the man in the suit on the sideline for approval, for encouragement, and to get yelled at. ("I've been yelled at quite a bit by everyone I've ever played for," Bonner says. "It helps me feel more relaxed.")

Somebody once suggested to Mitchell that the club should erect a statue of Bonner locked in this familiar pose. And in the throes of some long-forgotten game, courtside observers still remember Bonner flashing the look at Mitchell walking down the sideline saying, "Get that statue ready."

A lot has changed for Bonner. Traded to the Spurs in the Rasho Nesterovic deal back in 2006, he spent most of the past two seasons as a sparsely-used bench player. But thanks to some suddenly-found confidence that has come to him, perhaps, from four years' experience and four games on the bench earlier this season, last night's game against the Raptors marked Bonner's 10th straight outing as San Antonio's starting centre.

The four games on the bench amounted to something of an intervention from his current coach, Gregg Popovich, the championship-winning veteran who grew tired of Bonner's unease. Bonner is, for all his quirky modesty, a talented enough gunner to be leading the league in three-point shooting this season. And yet, at times, he has refused to shoot.

"So we finally got to the point where it's shoot or sit," said Popovich. "He's innately a sort of a nervous kind of a player. He's hard on himself. If he makes a mistake, it kills him. His big deal was to learn that the next play is the most important one, whether he just missed a shot or dribbled it off his knees or threw it into the stands — it does not matter, because it's done ... We needed to get him over that."

Maybe he's getting over it. Last night he had 14 points on 4-for-7 three-point shooting. He's averaging 10.7 points and 6.4 rebounds in that 10-game stretch in the first five.

And he could be helping another team one day soon. Bonner, whose wife, Nadia, grew up in the Beach, spends a lot of time in Toronto. To that end, the redhead from Concord, N.H., is pursuing his Canadian citizenship in some earnest. Canada, coincidently, is home to senior men's national team that will, come August, attempt to qualify for the 2010 world championships. Bonner said he is willing to help in the quest, so long as the paperwork gets done.

"To have the opportunity to represent Canada on the basketball court would be wicked," said Bonner, whose grandfather is a Newfoundlander. "I would wear the 'Canada' on my jersey with pride."

Lately he's been wearing the San Antonio jersey with pride and assurance. And if he flashed a face of doubt at Popovich last night, the moment was lost on a courtside observer.

"He's making shots. He's playing with confidence and aggressiveness," said Popovich. "He's hitting the boards. He's working on his defence and it's getting better all the time."

Said Bonner: "(Popovich) made it very clear that regardless of how many I've missed, if I'm open, I've got to shoot the ball. Now (it makes sense). That's what I do to help the team win, so if I don't do that, I'm hurting the team."

raspsa
12-21-2008, 06:45 AM
A good bounce-back game for Bonnerand the rest of the guys. I hope they can continue to improve so we can have a a good game against the Suns.

timvp
12-21-2008, 07:37 AM
He's innately a sort of a nervous kind of a player. That might be the best description of Bonner I've seen. If Bonner can overcome his nervousness on the basketball court, especially in big games and tight situations, he could be a pretty damn useful part of this team.

"To have the opportunity to represent Canada on the basketball court would be wicked," said Bonner, whose grandfather is a Newfoundlander. "I would wear the 'Canada' on my jersey with pride."I'm sure that will go over swimmingly in Military Town, USA.

boutons_
12-21-2008, 09:03 AM
"He's working on his defence"

What's "defence"? Pop said "defence" ?

mrspurs
12-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Matts ok against sorry teams. And like most his teamates hes ok when he hits his 3s. But as we've finally seen. When we play against good teams. Matt falls apart. I just hope he continues to keep on playing and learning. I mean all we have is Matt. So we best hope he improves like he has. Because come PO time. Matt cant afford to be on the bench. And I dont think his teamates can afford him there either.

HarlemHeat37
12-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Matts ok against sorry teams. And like most his teamates hes ok when he hits his 3s. But as we've finally seen. When we play against good teams. Matt falls apart. I just hope he continues to keep on playing and learning. I mean all we have is Matt. So we best hope he improves like he has. Because come PO time. Matt cant afford to be on the bench. And I dont think his teamates can afford him there either.

vs. Orlando: 3-5 from the field, 2-3 from 3's..
vs. Atlanta: 4-8 from the field, 1-2 from 3's, 13 rebounds..
vs. Dallas: 5-5 from the field, 3-3 from 3's..
vs. Denver: 6-8 from the field, 2-2 from 3's..
vs. Houston: 6-7 from the field, 3-4 from 3's..
vs. Utah: 5-8 from the field, 2-3 from 3's..

...and I can go on..

Obstructed_View
12-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm sure that will go over swimmingly in Military Town, USA.

San Antonio's had a pro basketball player go to Russia and represent them while still claiming citizenship here. At least Bonner's making the commitment. Besides, if he becomes a foreigner that just makes him more a Spur.

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
San Antonio's had a pro basketball player go to Russia and represent them while still claiming citizenship here. At least Bonner's making the commitment. Besides, if he becomes a foreigner that just makes him more a Spur.

:lol :toast

m33p0
12-21-2008, 12:43 PM
i know you can't read my posts coz i'm on ignore (woohoo!) but did he really fall apart or did he just had a bad shooting night? i prefer the latter.

Russ
12-21-2008, 12:51 PM
"He's working on his defence"

What's "defence"? Pop said "defence" ?

Defence? Clearly from a Canadian publication.

T Park
12-21-2008, 12:55 PM
vs. Orlando: 3-5 from the field, 2-3 from 3's..
vs. Atlanta: 4-8 from the field, 1-2 from 3's, 13 rebounds..
vs. Dallas: 5-5 from the field, 3-3 from 3's..
vs. Denver: 6-8 from the field, 2-2 from 3's..
vs. Houston: 6-7 from the field, 3-4 from 3's..
vs. Utah: 5-8 from the field, 2-3 from 3's..

...and I can go on..

Yeah facts usually get in the way of their stupidity.

boutons_
12-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm awaiting for when Matt kicks him some scrawny Garnett balla ass again, or maybe just some smash-mouth blocking out and RB ripping.

Sun, Feb 8 @ Boston (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos) 1:00 PM http://assets.espn.go.com/i/scoreboard/networkLogo_abc.gif (http://espn.go.com/abcsports/)

SenorSpur
12-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm awaiting for when Matt kicks him scrawny Garnett balla ass again, or maybe just some smash-mouth blocking out and RB ripping.

Sun, Feb 8 @ Boston (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos) 1:00 PM http://assets.espn.go.com/i/scoreboard/networkLogo_abc.gif (http://espn.go.com/abcsports/)

That would be priceless. At least we know Matt aint scared.

wildbill2u
12-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Now if we could only get Oberto to shoot when he's open from a few feet away.

Rohirrim
12-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I love how the Spurs will fuck up a play and the ball ends up in Oberto's hands with 1 sec to go.

He'll throw up some goofy post move and of course miss. He should just strong arm it at the rim and let his guards get a long rebound.

Austin_Toros
12-21-2008, 03:25 PM
its appears as thought the bonner articles will never stop

cherylsteele
12-21-2008, 04:04 PM
i know you can't read my posts coz i'm on ignore (woohoo!)
To many people on here, the ignore feature doesn't matter if they can read or not.

Posters like mrspurs hardly ever have anything positive to say about a player just because.
I was disappointed in Bonner last year, and the begining of this season but am happy he is doing pretty good overall, especially on the "D", he is getting better, just keep improving Matt.

Spur-Addict
12-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I love how the Spurs will fuck up a play and the ball ends up in Oberto's hands with 1 sec to go.

He'll throw up some goofy post move and of course miss. He should just strong arm it at the rim and let his guards get a long rebound.

:lmao now that sir, is funny.

Now if we could only get Oberto to shoot when he's open from a few feet away.

Have you seen what happens when he does? If he isn't shooting lay ups, he should just kick it elsewhere. If you mean lay ups, then yeah, but he even misses quite a few of those. He's excellent at the little things though, kudos to that. :toast

usckk
12-21-2008, 05:34 PM
This is why it was so important for Pop to keep playing Bonner in the Hornets game. I am willing to take a 1 game loss in order to keep Bonner's confidence high to win multiple games later.

wisnub
12-21-2008, 09:09 PM
i remembered some analyst said: Pop got direct order to Bonner: if you dont shoot it, i will shoot you down next to me myself