PDA

View Full Version : Proper Perspective: Rose for Nazr, Devin, and Scola

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Those trying to compute this trade as a Rose for Nazr deal, that's the proper perspective you need to be making it in.

It wasn't a one for one, it was a three for one. And it seems like most Malik lovers are Devin lovers, so you guys should migrate your love affair to the youngun' (except you Spursgal).

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Even with this trade, the Spurs are still over the cap for many years. They could've still signed Scola and Devin.

timvp
02-25-2005, 08:55 PM
AHF isn't correct with this assumption. The Spurs would have been able to sign Scola and Brown anyways. And if Nazr shows anything over the next year and a half and the Spurs have to re-sign him, they'll have to pay MORE than they owed Rose.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Even with this trade, the Spurs are still over the cap for many years. They could've still signed Scola and Devin.Sure, but the Spurs more than anybody have a de facto hard cap -- the luxury tax threshold. Even if there isn't a tax after this summer, the Spurs will make their own hard cap from their accounting numbers.

Given these limitations, does it make sense to pay Malik more and more when he is expected to play less and less? Or try something else?

spurster
02-25-2005, 09:08 PM
The Spurs have a Malik replacement, more or less, with Scola. He'll probably come in cheaper, too.

Yes, the Spurs could still have signed Devin and Scola with Rose's contract, but this way Peter Holt doesn't have to stay up all night coldcalling potential customers.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Sure, but the Spurs more than anybody have a de facto hard cap -- the luxury tax threshold. Even if there isn't a tax after this summer, the Spurs will make their own hard cap from their accounting numbers.

Given these limitations, does it make sense to pay Malik more and more when he is expected to play less and less? Or try something else?

I agree with everything you are saying. I just think a lot of fans think that this trade gives the Spurs actual salary cap room to make free agent acquisitions in the next few years. It doesn't. I was just clarifying that.

I am in complete agreement that they shouldn't have kept paying Malik if they weren't going to play him worthy minutes.

Off topic a bit, are you sold on Scola being an NBA talent? I'm still a little skeptical.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Not completely sold, but the Spurs seem to be covering the bases with Nazr as an insurance policy should Luis be a total washout. I was kind of resigned to some kind of Yogi Stewart for Malik swap soley for salary relief, this is much better by far. I'm looking for Scola to be a more aggro Corliss Williamson with better range and that special Argentinian knack for big team play. I'd be quite satisfied with that.

ShoogarBear
02-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Boy, the Malik hate continues even after you got your wish.

timvp
02-25-2005, 09:22 PM
The only way this is some type of cap relief is if either:

1) Nazr sucks and the Spurs don't re-sign him.
2) Nazr plays well enough that another team outbids the Spurs.

Lose, Lose.

indianspur
02-25-2005, 09:34 PM
I agree with everything you are saying. I just think a lot of fans think that this trade gives the Spurs actual salary cap room to make free agent acquisitions in the next few years. It doesn't. I was just clarifying that.

I am in complete agreement that they shouldn't have kept paying Malik if they weren't going to play him worthy minutes.

Off topic a bit, are you sold on Scola being an NBA talent? I'm still a little skeptical.

Agree with you on this one. Saw his play during the olympics. Seems good only on the fast break. No post up play or defense....

xcoriate
02-25-2005, 10:03 PM
It gives no cap space but theres no doubt Holt Cat has a fiigure he doesn't want to pass. Offloading Malik was bad, but the $$s he used to get can now go to Scola and Devin.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Chump Dumper did a good job expanding on my thoughts. I know the cap implications pretty well (basically doesn't make a bit of difference).

Let's face it - Malik wasn't getting the playing time relative to the kind of money he was making. Given that, it made no sense to keep him around for another four years. I can't remember who it was on this site but earlier this year someone said "play him or trade him."

Well, they weren't palying him, so they traded him.

I feel pretty confident in saying that Malik will become New Yorkers' favorite Knick, especially all the blue collar folks up there. He's very personable and will probably have a lot more endorsement contracts than he got here from Gunn and Jim's.

And I also feel confident in saying that in 4 years he'll back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2005, 10:09 PM
BTW, when you're talking cap in the future, you have to also take into account the rumblings about the new CBA. Namely:

* Shorter length of new contracts
* Lower percentage raise on each subsequent year of the deal

Those, and the 20 year old age limit, seem to be the main thrust of the owners (no doubt led by Holt), with the ownership willing to meet the player demands of no lux tax and a higher cap.

In that kind of climate I could see the Spurs more willing to take care of Nazr. I'm not worried about being outbid, I believe they'll have Nazr's bird rights if my Capology 101 memory is correct, and worst case scenario would turn around and trade him to the high bidder for some kind of deal that helps us out.