PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Wanted: Spurs 3-Pointers, But Don't Overdo It

duncan228
12-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Wanted: Spurs 3-pointers, but don't overdo it (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Wanted_Spurs_3-pointers_but_dont_overdo_it.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Some records are made to be broken. And some records, a team would rather not break.

The Spurs matched a franchise mark by attempting 23 3-pointers in the first half of Saturday's 107-97 victory over Toronto. At least one Spurs player said it was not a record the team necessarily set out to reach.

“We shot too many in the first half,” Manu Ginobili said. “We shot 23, and that's way too much.”

By game's end, the Spurs had laid claim to a more acceptable record. After going 9 for 23 from the 3-point stripe in the first half, the Spurs were a more efficient 7 of 15 in the second.

They wound up connecting on 16 3-pointers, again equaling a franchise mark.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has said his team needs to take and make 3-pointers in order to be at its most effective. With Tim Duncan frequently drawing double teams, and with Tony Parker and Ginobili often able to collapse the defense with a drive, open perimeter jumpers are sure to be plentiful.

So far, the Spurs rank third in the league in 3-point accuracy at 39.9 percent. Matt Bonner, the Spurs' center, still leads the NBA at 49.3 percent.

“We don't want to get too caught up in living and dying by the 3-point shot,” said Roger Mason Jr., who has made 63 3-pointers, third-most in the league. “But when Tim is getting double-teamed and Tony's coming off those screens and Manu is going to the basket, guys are going to have to hit open shots.”

The good news for the Spurs and their on-going 3-point shootout? The Sacramento Kings, tonight's opponent at the AT&T Center, are the worst in the league at defending the 3-point line, allowing opponents to shoot an average of 41.6 percent.

On fumes: The Spurs are in the midst of a particularly grueling portion of their schedule. By the time they complete their latest back-to-back, tonight against the Kings and Tuesday against Minnesota, they will have played five times in seven days.

While Popovich admits his team is a tad worn out, he sees no use complaining about it.

“At the end of the season, you don't get handicap points for how much you were tired or what your schedule is like,” Popovich said. “We don't dwell on that. Everybody has periods where they feel like they're getting screwed on the schedule. You've just got to let that go.”

The best thing Popovich figured he could do was to provide his players some rest. So he gave the team Sunday off and didn't schedule a shootaround session this morning.

Forgetting Mahinmi: Don't expect to see center/forward Ian Mahinmi in a Spurs uniform any time soon.

Mahinmi, who sprained his right ankle before the start of training camp, has not played in a game this season. After that healed, Mahinmi appeared in one game for the NBA Development League's Austin Toros, but sprained his left ankle.

Mahinmi has been so star-crossed, Popovich has trouble keeping straight which ankle is bothering him now.

“I don't even know which one is which,” Popovich said. “All I know is that he's had an ankle problem for four months. I don't think about Ian too much as far as playing goes right now.”

Sean Cagney
12-22-2008, 12:51 AM
SHYT Ian will not play this year IMO, does he even exist? Is he a dude they made up to make us have hope at a young athletic Center? I know he is not going to play at all soon now, same as it ever was.

tomtom
12-22-2008, 12:57 AM
I don't think about Ian too much as far as playing goes right now.

:depressed

SenorSpur
12-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Mahinmi has been so star-crossed, Popovich has trouble keeping straight which ankle is bothering him now.

“I don't even know which one is which,” Popovich said. “All I know is that he's had an ankle problem for four months. I don't think about Ian too much as far as playing goes right now.”
If that's true, then bring another big (a la Sims) for an audition.

T Park
12-22-2008, 01:07 AM
The bigs are fine. You people need to take a pill.

SenorSpur
12-22-2008, 01:10 AM
The bigs are fine. You people need to take a pill.

and when you wake up, you'll admit there is a deficiency along the frontline.

wijayas
12-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Wanted: Spurs 3-pointers, but don't overdo it (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Wanted_Spurs_3-pointers_but_dont_overdo_it.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Mahinmi, who sprained his right ankle before the start of training camp, has not played in a game this season. After that healed, Mahinmi appeared in one game for the NBA Development League's Austin Toros, but sprained his left ankle.

Is Ian = Beno v2.0 as far as injury prone goes? Touch wood. I hope not but it is tough not to compare...

benefactor
12-22-2008, 06:37 AM
If that's true, then bring another big (a la Sims) for an audition.
Indeed. I am still trying to figure out why we haven't. If we expected a player like Ian(athletic big, shot blocker, rebounder) to play a major role in the front line rotation this year then why haven't we brought in someone similar(Sims, Hendrix, Mutombo, etc.) to fill in while he is out? Perhaps they are waiting until 10 day contracts can be offered.

Its still pretty early, so maybe they are still playing the wait and see game with Ian until after the ASB. My concern with that is if we wait too long some of the options we have now might not be available.

Spurs Brazil
12-22-2008, 08:04 AM

:depressed:depressed:depressed

mrspurs
12-22-2008, 08:06 AM
If you cant make layups or easy 10ft. jump shots. Why not shoot from half court. As for Ian. Hes still a waste of time.

1Parker1
12-22-2008, 09:14 AM
:pctoss Wasted pick on Ian???

:(

sonic21
12-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Forgetting Mahinmi: Don't expect to see center/forward Ian Mahinmi in a Spurs uniform any time soon.

:depressed

YoMamaIsCallin
12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Come on, people. He has, unluckily, had two bad ankle sprains. It's December. It's basketball. Players sprain ankles all the time. He'll come back.

Spur-Addict
12-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Come on, people. He has, unluckily, had two bad ankle sprains. It's December. It's basketball. Players sprain ankles all the time. He'll come back.

I'm with you "YoMamaIsCallin", i'm with you.

(That's an awesome name :lol)

MoSpur
12-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I hope Ian isn't Beno Pt II "The Wussiness Continues."

Manufan909
12-22-2008, 04:50 PM

Yeah, Bruno turned the "god fuck your mother damn shit cock" side of the equation, and by the quoted profanity I am paraphrasing what is going through Ians' head right about now. Ian just is extremely unlucky this year. I know seasoning is logical, but I wish Ian had gotten the chance all of last year to prove himself, and Hairston/Gist had been put on this years roster from the start.

kace
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM

am i misreading or misunderstanding this, or does it really show some annoyance from Pop about this ? Injuries are of course a bad thing for Ian, but if Pop is really annoyed by him like it seems, it could be worse for his future with the spurs.

polandprzem
12-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Congrats spurs for making a record which was not existing few days ago :tu

/sarcasm

aha!

---------------------------------------

Damn with Ian ! If he will not be able to contribute before ASB Pop won't give him any chance playing for the spurs.
AFTER ASG Pop will be cutting the rotations.