PDA

View Full Version : Yanks going after Manny?

bostonguy
12-22-2008, 12:48 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081222&content_id=3725439&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

Yankees may make pitch for Manny
Report says Bombers expected to extend three-year offer

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- The Yankees could be preparing to bring Manny Ramirez home.

Though members of the organization are said to be split on adding the Washington Heights product, there is interest. The New York Daily News reported Sunday that Ramirez has told friends that he is confident the Yankees will offer him a contract of at least three years.

The report noted that Ramirez has no plans to get serious about any offers until after first baseman Mark Teixeira -- like Ramirez, a Scott Boras client -- makes a decision about his own future.

On Sunday, the Angels became the second club to withdraw an offer for Teixeira, pulling an eight-year $160 million pact. Red Sox president John Henry sent an e-mail last week to reporters stating that Boston would not be a factor in Teixeira's negotiations.

Boras did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.

A report out of the Dominican Republic late Sunday claimed that the Yankees have advanced negotiations with Ramirez and could be poised to complete a deal with him sometime this week.

The newspaper, Impacto Deportivo, stated that Ramirez is on the verge of signing a three-year, $75 million contract to join the Yankees.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman shot down the report early Monday.

"Not true," Cashman wrote in a text message.

The Yankees have spoken about possibly adding a significant bat to their lineup, though the club is believed to be waiting to see how Teixeira's situation plays out and there are concerns about the distractions that Ramirez's flamboyant personality might create.

New York's need is greater for a first baseman like Teixeira than a corner outfielder and designated hitter type like Ramirez.

But the Yankees may be willing to shuffle pieces to create room for Ramirez's lethal bat after scoring just 789 runs in 2008, down from a Major League-leading 968 in 2007, and have subtracted the very atient Jason Giambi and Bobby Abreu from their lineup.

As currently comprised, the Yankees are counting on bounce-back years from Jorge Posada, Hideki Matsui and Robinson Cano, while hoping that November pickup Nick Swisher can return to form.

Adding Ramirez or Teixeira as protection for three-time MVP Alex Rodriguez would allay some concerns about run production.

Though the Yankees have committed $243.5 million in future payments to rotation upgrades CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, Cashman said last week that the club remains on track to reduce its payroll for 2009.

Co-chairman Hal Steinbrenner said that the Yankees could potentially add another major investment, but "we just have to see about the amount we want to spend."

Of Ramirez, Steinbrenner said, "No doubt he's a great, great ballplayer. He's one of the most dangerous offensive players in the game."

Ramirez has already received a two-year, $45 million offer from the Los Angeles Dodgers, a sum which was later rescinded. The slugger made it clear that he intends to sign with the highest bidder, telling reporters in October, "Gas is up and so am I."

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

bostonguy
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
:depressed:depressed:depressed

:td:vomit::vomit: This makes me sick to my stomach. Manny as a Yank would just be tough to watch. Comon Torre. Keep him as a Dodger where he will have a much better chance to succeed. The Yanks are dealing with 2 curses:

1.)2004 ALCS Curse: Yanks havent won a playoff series since beating the Twins and losing that 3-0 lead to the Sox.

2.) Joe Torre Curse: Yanks miss the playoffs their first year without him.

dirk4mvp
12-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Say it ain't so :(

John Rocker
12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
if someone hijacked the Yankees and Red Sox's team planes and crashed them into the ocean I wouldn't give 2 shits. I'm so sick of the 24 hour speculation on who they are going to sign now. I hope all of their players get AIDS and die

florige
12-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Hell wtf, they might as well sign Manny too fuck it! Why stop there....:rolleyes

Melmart1
12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Hell wtf, they might as well sign Manny too fuck it! Why stop there....:rolleyes

I think they are at the limit of type-A free agents they can sign now. Or else I am sure those fuckers would do it.

bostonguy
12-23-2008, 05:34 PM
I think they are at the limit of type-A free agents they can sign now. Or else I am sure those fuckers would do it.

Nah they arent. Their payroll is $25 million less than it was a year ago. They shed like $91 million this offseason. They have the dough to go after Manny. I really hope he doesnt wear pin stripes. My all time favorite sox player as a yank???:vomit::vomit:

Brodels
12-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Nah they arent. Their payroll is $25 million less than it was a year ago. They shed like $91 million this offseason. They have the dough to go after Manny. I really hope he doesnt wear pin stripes. My all time favorite sox player as a yank???:vomit::vomit:

Payroll has nothing to do with it. I believe Mel is correct - they can't sign any more type a guys, no matter how much money they have. Otherwise, I'm sure they would consider it.

florige
12-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Payroll has nothing to do with it. I believe Mel is correct - they can't sign any more type a guys, no matter how much money they have. Otherwise, I'm sure they would consider it.

Wow so MLB actually has a limit of certain caliber players you can sign to one team?:wow:rolleyes

bostonguy
12-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Wow so MLB actually has a limit of certain caliber players you can sign to one team?:wow:rolleyes

:lmao Exactly what I thought. I wished it was true if it meant preventing Manny from being a Yank.

Biernutz
12-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Manny wants a long term big $$$$$ contract. The Sankees are the only team that can throw the type of money around that Manny wants. As a Boston fan I could care less what he does. The way he faked a injury in a contract year. He has lost all good will with the Sox fans.

Udokafan05
12-30-2008, 09:19 PM
As a yankees fan, i would be thrilled with the signing.

jack sommerset
12-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Looks like Manny should have taken the Dodgers deal.

ClingingMars
01-23-2009, 03:07 PM
rumor has it Mets are going after Manny.

-Mars