PDA

View Full Version : Cap Implications: is this still a good move?

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 09:50 PM
If you knew that we would have the exact same amount of money to sign Devin Brown and Louis Scola this summer w/ or w/o Malik Rose, do you still think this is a good trade?

Kori and LJ have said many times that we are over the cap reguardless and will be for many years, so do you think that strait up, Rose for Mohammad is a good trade? Also factor into consideration that the Spurs were forced to drop Sato in order to clear roster space.

I for one say Nay.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2005, 09:50 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11264

JsnSA
02-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Yes. Though I loved Malik for the person he was...Nazr would bring us more. He is a real center..with more length. He rebounds much better than Malik.

And we will have more cap room in the future....Malik was making big bucks for another 4 years...Nazr for one more year after this one.

Face it...it WAS a good move. It was sad...but the best thing for the Spurs.

BronxCowboy
02-25-2005, 09:57 PM
I think wait and see. Now we have another C, but on the other hand he still has to fit in, and there's no way that he'll bring Malik-type effort. I don't think Sato is really a factor, because I for one didn't expect him to see the court at all this year if ever.

exstatic
02-25-2005, 09:57 PM
It's not s CAP move, its a TAX move. In the latter years of his contract, it's possbile that keeping Malik could have cost in the neighborhood of $18M for any one year. How, you might ask? If we need to sign some of our other young players(Devin? Beno?) , plus Scola, and maybe Sankidze, and Malik's entire salary goes over the tax, it's then effectively doubled. If he's making, say $6M, then the spurs would have to pay him $6M, pay the LEAGUE $6M in tax, and also lose out on the distribution of the luxury tax revenues, which were about $6M last time they were publicized. They keep their options for young talent overseas open by moving his contract.

Mr. Body
02-25-2005, 10:05 PM
It's a cap move but also a personnel move. Mohammed simply fills a need much better than Malik did. You'll see it the first time he comes off the bench.

xcoriate
02-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Yes its a good move by the Spurs straight up, and its an even better one when you take the luxury tax into account. Not to mention the penny pinching reputation of our owner.

ducks
02-25-2005, 10:10 PM
under the new cba or the old one?

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 11:00 PM
the current one, i say that Malik is a better player than Mohammad and time will prove this.

ducks
02-25-2005, 11:03 PM
how do you know this?
yesterday you did not even know what the guy looked like :spin

have you watched him play one game?
have you watched him play 5 games?

I think rose and him are going to put him similar stats
except rose will not be able to guard the bigger people due to his height

exstatic
02-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Well, ducks, I can only go on the current one, since I lack a crystal ball. ;)

No one knows what the new one will look like, but if it is anything like the current one, there would be no way to shed Malik's salary. Teams are gambling that the tax will either go up or go away, but that's a pretty big gamble.

Brodels
02-25-2005, 11:24 PM
the current one, i say that Malik is a better player than Mohammad and time will prove this.

It's clear that you aren't even interested in looking at it objectively. If you've watched Mohammed play, you would know that he's at least Malik's equal. And since he's got more size, he's much more useful to the Spurs. The team needed help up front with Rasho struggling and Horry hurt. They needed a legit big man. They got it.

Mohammed has put up better numbers than Rose. And while that doesn't tell the whole story because he was in New York, he was considered by many sportswriters and others to be among the best centers in his conference this season. That's something Malik has never done and probably will never do.

The cap situation will remain about the same, but Ex is right: if there is a luxury tax in the next CBA, the Spurs could possibly have been close to the limit. Shedding a bad contract gives the Spurs a little more flexibility in the future even if they are over the cap.

As for Sato? He hasn't even played a game for the Spurs this season. And they have an opportunity to release Brewer and get him back. But Kori and others have suggested that the Spurs might forget about Sato anyway and look at other options. It's obvious the Spurs don't really think too much of him. He's an interesting project player, but he's of absolutely no value as an NBA player right now.

You're simply using your comparisons as a cover for your sadness. It's O.K. to miss Malik. I certainly do. But you haven't even given Nazr a chance to show that he can be a good player for the Spurs. He's been better over the past couple of seasons even if he's played for the Knicks, so there's reason to believe that he could be relatively successful on the Spurs. It's clear that you're not even willing to look at the trade as a basketball move. Give it a chance. Pop and R.C. are smart people.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 11:39 PM
I am giving it a chance, but I have a hunch, the same hunch i had when we brought it Rasho Nesterovich, that he isn't going to work out here. I didn't think Rasho would be any good here and I was right, and i have a feeling this guy will be a bust. The spurs are my favorite team though and I hope he works out even though i miss rose.

GoSpurs21
02-26-2005, 12:19 AM
I am giving it a chance, but I have a hunch, the same hunch i had when we brought it Rasho Nesterovich, that he isn't going to work out here. I didn't think Rasho would be any good here and I was right, and i have a feeling this guy will be a bust. The spurs are my favorite team though and I hope he works out even though i miss rose.This statement shows you know absolutely nothing about team defense or Pops defensive system.

El Jefe
02-26-2005, 12:40 AM
It may not have opened up any cap flexibility for this offseason, but the move certainly gives the Spurs more options down the road.

And consider this. Malik is how old right now, 30? And his role in the rotation is already in question. Does anyone think that Malik will age gracefully as a basketball player? Are there many 32 year old 6'5" power forwards in the NBA? The team acts like his contract was a burden now, imagine two years down the road when he still has two years left, has lost a step and can't quite jump as high as he used to.

He's a great guy, and I wouldn't mind having him as a 12th man, but not at what he's making. And the opportunity to get a legit 6'10" guy while dumping a posion pill contract was too good to pass up.

maxpower
02-26-2005, 09:27 AM
This will be one of the great what if's of Spurs History ...if the Spurs don't win it all.

waly.mg
02-26-2005, 09:44 AM
About the salary caps is a great thing for 2 reason:

Nazr finished his contract at the end of the next season, and so u have 2 advantages

You can sign a player with that money at the end of the next season, and you can make too many sign and trade or trades with this guy, and Not with Malik because he have a long term deal

With 6 or 7 million, puls another player and draft pick, Perhaps you can obtain to a All Star or another starter as Center, if you packages him with Rasho you have around 12 millions for a trade