PDA

View Full Version : New Threesome In Town Makes Life A Lot Easier For The Spurs (NBA.com)

duncan228
12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
New threesome in town makes life a lot easier for the Spurs (http://www.nba.com/2008/news/features/art_garcia/12/22/spurs1222/)
By Art Garcia, NBA.com

SAN ANTONIO -- In a lot of ways, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are the Spurs. But another threesome almost unknown outside of San Antonio is just about equally as responsible for the Spurs' current standing as one of the top teams in the Western Conference. Roger Mason, George Hill and Matt Bonner are regulars in Gregg Popovich's rotation for the first time this season. They'll be sharing the spotlight with the more senior threesome Christmas Day in a Western Conference dustup in Phoenix.

And, if you listen to Popovich, they're going to be around for awhile.

"They're going to get my confidence because that's the way we'll be the best team we can be," Popovich said of his new threesome. "I'll have to live through some mistakes here and there, and some teaching moments.

"[But] George Hill is our backup [point guard]. Roger Mason is going to play and Matt Bonner is going to play. They'll have to play badly for 37 games in a row before I change anything."

Popovich may have a hard time counting past one. Each of the three has been in the starting lineup at one point or another this season after arriving in San Antonio with different expectations. Hill began as a rookie project. Mason was a free-agent consolation prize. Bonner was a trade throw-in three years ago. No one cares about that now.

The Spurs saw Hill, a product of tiny Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, as a possibility with the 26th pick in the 2008 Draft. When a couple of other bigger names went off the Draft Day board, the Spurs grabbed the 22-year-old shooting guard with the intention of moving him to point.

"[Popovich] thought I could bring youth to them and make them better right away," Hill said. "That's what I really try to focus on when I'm out there -- going hard and doing the best I can defensively first, and offense comes."

Still, the 6-foot-2 Hill didn't exactly light up the NBA summer league. His struggles -- 2-for-25 shooting in his first three games -- actually had the Spurs reassessing their plans to make him the backup to Parker and veteran Jacque Vaughn.

"He had a tough summer league," Popovich admitted. "But once the lights went on and the real games came, he showed he can play."

Mason, 28, wouldn't be in San Antonio had Corey Maggette signed with the Silver and Black. It wasn't any secret that the free-agent scoring machine from the Clippers topped the Spurs' wish list. Even Mason knew it.

"They were very clear I was their No. 1 option, if they didn't get Corey," said Mason, who played for the Washington Wizards the previous two years. "They made it known pretty early on they wanted me, but they wanted to see if they could get him first."

Maggette got his mega-millions in Golden State, and when the Spurs signed Mason, they unearthed another sleeper who's fitting into their well-defined system. The 6-foot-5 Mason helped carry the offensive load, as did Hill, when Parker and Ginobili were out. Mason quickly established himself as one of the league's best 3-pointer shooters this season.

"The coaches have done a good job of putting me in position to get some good looks," Mason said. "And I've been able to take advantage of it."

Bonner, 28, didn't stand out for anything other than his red hair in his first two seasons in San Antonio. This season didn't start out well, either, when the 6-foot-10 forward/center registered a DNP-CD on Nov. 12.

That seems like a season ago. Bonner is now starting alongside Duncan in the frontcourt, showing off a nose for rebounding and a nice 3-point stroke. He's settled into the role once occupied by Robert Horry.

"Matt's done a wonderful job for us," Popovich said. "He's gotten the minutes that Robert used to get and he's really played well."

Much of San Antonio's success for the rest of this season -- and ultimately in the playoffs -- may be in the hands of Hill, Mason and Bonner. That's something that the senior threesome understands fully.

"They've been huge and we are all very happy with the way they are playing," said Ginobili.

"Just a great situation," Duncan said, "where you can look back at the beginning of the season where these guys got more time and got a little more comfortable being on the floor because of that."

Bonner, though, was quick to put his role, and the role of Hill and Mason, into perspective. The Spurs, after all, are the Spurs for a reason. "It's a pretty easy gig, because you've got Tim, Tony and Manu," Bonner said. "They attract a lot of attention."

xtremesteven33
12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
I still cant envision Matt Bonner starting once the playoffs start.

Maybe i will be proved wrong.

MoSpur
12-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Hopefully KT starts in the playoffs and Bonner comes off the bench still shooting lights out.

xtremesteven33
12-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Hopefully KT starts in the playoffs and Bonner comes off the bench still shooting lights out.

i think that starting spot belongs to Oberto. Even though Bonner is outplaying him, i still see him struggling to prove that he will be solid come playoff time.

z0sa
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM

I see this happening. KT is better than Bonner, it's no secret, and a full year in the system + end-season conditions spells starter. Bonner will play the Horry role off the bench, getting big minutes when he's nailing shots and playing smart D, or when matchups prove necessary.

Mason Jr is suffering because of Pop's mancrush on Finley, and I don't see it changing any time soon. What I would hope is that come playoff time, Mason is taking about half of Finley's shots, factoring in less possessions in the postseason. Just last postseason Finley averaged 6.3fg per contest. Realistically, I'm hoping it's below 5 this season, but I could actually see it going up. Don't know what that spells for Mason jr. We'll really have to see how much faith Pop puts in him.

George Hill has been the steal of the draft. Unheard of, he's really come in and done a fine job (last night wasn't so great, but he's just a rookie nonetheless). If his defense continues to improve he could develop into one of the best PG defenders in the NBA. He's fearless going to the basket as well, and by the end of the season he could be another scorer coming off the bench (at least we can all be pretty sure Hill won't be starting over Parker anytime soon, despite no one else's role on the bench being solidified).

The only 3some that really matters is Parker/Manu/Tim. If Manu's healthy last year, we might still have had another one of these :lobt2:

jag
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM

More than likely Pop will determine postseason PT based on matchups. Bonner and KT are such different players it's gonna depend on who they match up with best.

kace
12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
"They're going to get my confidence because that's the way we'll be the best team we can be," Popovich said of his new threesome. "I'll have to live through some mistakes here and there, and some teaching moments.

"[But] George Hill is our backup [point guard]. Roger Mason is going to play and Matt Bonner is going to play. They'll have to play badly for 37 games in a row before I change anything."

i really couldn't imagine Pop saying something like that. not really his kind of quote.

They certainly derserve this trust but it has also to do with Pop trying to send them a message i think: "don't worry guys, you can make mistakes and still have my confidence".

timvp
12-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I disagree with the sentiment that Bonner should eventually be put on the bench. As scary as it may be, the Spurs winning the championship this season largely depends on Bonner becoming a legitimate starting bigman.

KT and Oberto can be solid but the Spurs need Bonner's scoring to be championship worthy this season. Having a non-scorer next to Duncan won't cut it. Bonner needs to average something like 11 and 7 going forward for the Spurs to have a chance. KT and Oberto also have to elevate their game to where they provide good bench minutes.

I'm far from sold on Bonner being a viable starter in the playoffs but he's the Spurs' only hope . . .

xtremesteven33
12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
I disagree with the sentiment that Bonner should eventually be put on the bench. As scary as it may be, the Spurs winning the championship this season largely depends on Bonner becoming a legitimate starting bigman.

KT and Oberto can be solid but the Spurs need Bonner's scoring to be championship worthy this season. Having a non-scorer next to Duncan won't cut it. Bonner needs to average something like 11 and 7 going forward for the Spurs to have a chance. KT and Oberto also have to elevate their game to where they provide good bench minutes.

I'm far from sold on Bonner being a viable starter in the playoffs but he's the Spurs' only hope . . .

I disagree. Duncan has done it before without a scoring Bigman. Im much more comfortable with Bonner coming off the bench to backup Duncan while Fab starts.

But it looks like Pop wants a better scoring bigman next to Duncan to spread the offense but i disagree that our season hinges on Bonner. It hinges on health.

kace
12-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Matt has to rebound better and consistently. His scoring will be useless if he can't rebound. it's all the point of having a big who can shoot the 3's: spacing more the floor without hurting the team on the board with 4 "little" guys next to Tim.

i'm really waiting Matt on the board since his ability to shoot the 3 is great right now.

but really having a big who can shoot the 3's (and rebound of course) is a great thing when you have a PG who is a great slasher and not a good 3 pts shooter. i really like seeing tim, tony and bonner at his actual level on the court together.

z0sa
12-22-2008, 07:13 PM

I'm more afraid of Bonner's confidence falling whenever he does get sent back to the bench. I don't see Pop taking offense over defense come PO time - which is what KT v. Bonner essentially is. You could say he's been going for more offense this season, and that's certainly true. The dreaded scoring drought in game 1 vs. LA essentially sums up why a change was needed. But the KT I know could average 8+ boards and a couple blocks in the postseason, besides the usual solid defense and big body in the middle.

I wouldn't exactly call KT a non-scorer, when he's on he can nail the jumpshot and clean up the glass better than most. I think he's still got plenty of life left in him and he will elevate his game to where it should be. I'm guessing that's going to be somewhere around the All-Star break. He's averaging 13.5 rebounds per 40minutes right now.

As for Bonner being a viable starter, I think he is. But I'm thinking he might do even better coming off the bench after this recent surge.

sonic21
12-22-2008, 07:19 PM
I disagree. Duncan has done it before without a scoring Bigman. Im much more comfortable with Bonner coming off the bench to backup Duncan while Fab starts.

But it looks like Pop wants a better scoring bigman next to Duncan to spread the offense but i disagree that our season hinges on Bonner. It hinges on health.

It depends on the matchup. If we play the lakers it's better to start bonner to spread the offense.

Obstructed_View
12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I think the only thing holding Bonner back thus far has been Pop. Now that he's not doing that anymore, Bonner should be solid, even if he isn't always hitting his shots. I fully expect the knee jerks to start lots of threads every time he has a bad shooting game, though.