PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football 2005 !!!

Guru of Nothing
02-25-2005, 10:06 PM
I am going to start pimpin' early this year. Why, you ask? Because, the entry fee is $250, which is a lot of discretionary income for some people, and I'd like to give anyone interested plenty of time to pony up the cash. Speaking of which, it is my aim to have all of the cash collected well before the season kicks off (somewhere around July). Actually, Kori will once again be the league treasurer (and backup commisioner), so you won't have to trust me with the league's money.

So far, I have 6 people who are a "definitely" in, 1 strong maybe, and a lukewarm maybe. I assume unsafely that I have not forgotten others who have commited. Ideally, I'd like to build a league of 12 teams, but 14 teams are fine with me should there be that much interest, and we could run with as little as 10 teams if there is not so much interest.

Currently, on my never-ending list of things to do is compose a league rules document. For the most part, the league settings ARE the rules, but with a $3000 pot, I'd like to cover as many bases as I can so there are no gray areas. Stay tuned.

Regarding the league settings, they will be very similar, if not identical to the league settings from last season's $50 league. For those who were not part of the league, I don't have them immediately available, but they were pretty basic (no exotic trick scoring categories). Once we have a league of 12 (or 10 or 14) we will all get together for a chat and hammer out the final settings. For starters, we will begin with last year's settings, and a 7 out of 12 vote can change or add the settings or rules. That said, once the draft begins, changes will not be made unless EVERYONE agrees to it (save some unforeseen "league integrity" issue.)

Roughly, and this will probably change once the league is formed and we get together to hammer out the details, the prize money will break down something like this: $1000 to the league champ; the 14-week regular season will be broken down into 7 two-week pairs with $200 awarded to the team with the highest two week combined score (or we could do 14 weeks by $100). The weekly/bi-weekly prizes ought to keep all team owners working their teams throughout the season. The remaining $600 could be split with the 3 remaining playoff teams (300-200-100).

Please note - 100% of the money will paid out in prizes; however, each team will have to pay $12.95 (last season's price) to XPertLeagues, our league hosting website. This $12.95 includes a very nice customized 11" glass trophy awarded to the league champ. If anyone wants to sell me on another fantasy football league website, I'll listen to what you have to say, but I am quite partial to XPL.

Lastly, I would like to make this a live draft (no, I don't expect everyone to travel to Mississippi). Sometime in mid-to-late August, I'd like us to all gather in SA for a FF draft GTG.

If you are interested, please PM me. While the prizes are attractive, this is still something I regard as a FUN thing to do. If you've never played, but you are interested, I'll assist you in every way possible (except for sharing my sleeper picks).

Adios

ETA: I am recruiting exclusively in this forum. None of us will be a complete stranger to another.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Another vote for Xpert Leagues right here.

Guru of Nothing
02-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Johnny, may I take transfer you from the "strong maybe" bloc to the "definite yes?"

IceColdBrewski
02-25-2005, 11:51 PM
$250.00 ???? Have fun.

I plan on running a league myself. Mine however, will be free. Live online draft.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-26-2005, 12:53 AM
$250.00 ???? Have fun.

$250.00 ain't nothing.

I'm going to pay with these...

http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/Tpark50.jpg

Mr Dio
02-26-2005, 03:50 PM
GoN, I reconfirm my DEFINITE status & suggest CBSsportsline.com

I wasn't hyped on the updating of the scores & how to do most transactions.
I'd play on any site though.

Guru of Nothing
02-27-2005, 05:24 PM
GoN, I reconfirm my DEFINITE status & suggest CBSsportsline.com

I wasn't hyped on the updating of the scores & how to do most transactions.
I'd play on any site though.

As I understand it, a lot of the live scoring updates problems were attributable to the stat feed; I don't think this problem was unique to XPL. While I looked to XPL to keep me apprised of my weekly matchup, I used nfl.com (which is synonymous with CBS) for general-purpose Sunday afternoon surfing, and I saw many, many hiccups on their site as well.

Again, I am partial to XPL (kind of like I'm partial to Spurstalk.com for my NBA news as opposed to NBA.com), but if enough people insist, I'll go with CBS without hesitation.

BTW, XPL is supposed to introduce a traditional web interface this next season, in addition to the multi-framed interface we grew accustomed to last year.

Anyone else want to weigh-in on our FF host? I'm all ears.

Guru of Nothing
02-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Kori/LJ - Can y'all please stick this thread to the top of the football forum after another day or two passes.

Thanks.

AlamoSpursFan
03-23-2005, 03:04 AM
I can live with the one we used last year. Or CBS. That's what my other league uses, so I'm familiar with both.

Guru of Nothing
03-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Quick update: XPertLeagues.com will be XPertSports.com this next season. Everyone should get a proper redirect, but I still wanted to let y'all know.

scott
04-19-2005, 07:59 PM
So long as someone pays my buy-in, I'm in. If I win, I'll pay back the buy in plus 75% of the profit... it's the deal of a lifetime!

Guru of Nothing
04-20-2005, 08:03 AM
So long as someone pays my buy-in, I'm in. If I win, I'll pay back the buy in plus 75% of the profit... it's the deal of a lifetime!

There is a lay-a-way plan.

Guru of Nothing
05-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Now that the draft is over and a little dust has settled, I'm ready to kick this thing in the ass.

For those who are in, get your checks in the mail to Kori - soon; make an earnest payment if that is all you have here in early May.

Who is in? Me, LJ, Kori, Dio, Blaze, ASF, Kris, Iminlakerland? I'm forgetting somebody.

Step up to plate Grande David; likewise TPark. TPark, you have an open invitation, provided you pay in early (just promise you won't trade away Culpepper for trinkets and beads).

I'd ask Chris Duel to enlist, but he was not up to snuff last year = he made TPark look good.

And how about you Mr. Jim CS? Maybe you don't play fantasy football, but you are a gambler right? Commission someone like Manny or Iceman Cometh (or Dr. Pill if you are really serious) to draft and run your team.

I want your money - form a line.

T Park
05-02-2005, 02:14 AM
Who do we pay?

Kori again??

If so, I just need to know where to send it and im in right now.

Guru of Nothing
05-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Yes, all money is sent to Kori.

Horry For 3!
05-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Fantasy Football :elephant I'm pretty good at Fantasy Football, I play it on Yahoo. I have yet to lose in Fantasy Football :) but I don't think I will be spending $250.

Mr Dio
05-09-2005, 06:14 AM
I have yet to lose in Fantasy Football but I don't think I will be spending $250.

I do very well in the leagues I don't pay for as well. I got bored quickly when I did play because the competition level was quite elementary. I guess the real competition is in the pay leagues because it is a diff world where most players actually participate heavily.

Horry For 3!
05-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Good job. I play Fantasy Football, Basketball, Baseball. I'm probably the best at Fantasy Football.

Kori Ellis
05-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Fantasy Football :elephant I'm pretty good at Fantasy Football, I play it on Yahoo. I have yet to lose in Fantasy Football :) but I don't think I will be spending $250.

We will have another league with little or no buy-in, so perhaps you can join that.

Guru of Nothing
05-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Okey doke folks, my intention is to compose a document tomorrow to define the league settings and rules, and I will send out a copy to committed players.

For the most part, it will reflect league settings from last year along with some extra verbiage to address important matters not covered by the league settings; primarily money and league ethics.

Also, I'd like to get us all together in the next month or so for a chat to address league settings. I like the settings we had last year, except for two.

I'd like to introduce 1 point per reception (and maybe 2 points per reception for tight ends). I expressed this desire last year and the majority said no, but I want to bring it up again. Again, 7 out of 12 will rule.

Also, I did not like the way waivers ran (getting processed everyday, including Sunday and Mondays). I'd rather waivers get processed once, on either Tuesday or Wednesday night, based upon a waiver priority inverse to the league standings. After that, it would be first-come first serve, up until game time. This will be detrimental to players who like to vulture on player injuries on game day, but at the same time, it would allow players who geek-out on news feeds late in the week to reap the benefits of their efforts.

It's almost June folks. The season will be upon us very soon. Start thinking about getting our money submitted to Kori REAL soon. Make a few small monthly payments to get the ball rolling if that is what it takes. Speaking of money, Xpert will be outsourcing their trophies this year, so let's scrap the extra $12.95 for the trophy league, although, I'd like it if we ran a little trophy fund on our own outside of the league. That is something to discuss later.

Here's to the person who drafts Ricky Williams first!

Adios.

AlamoSpursFan
05-22-2005, 05:00 AM
I got dibs on Kellen Winslow...

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I got dibs on Kellen Winslow...

:lol

http://www.insidecowboys.com/1998/graphics/garr1005.jpg

Guru of Nothing
05-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Okay, I'm still working on the doc. In the meantime, I'd like to get us altogether for a chat to give everything the once over.

Of particular interest are the scoring rules. Does anybody want to tweak them? If so, how?

Also, is there a strong interest in making this a keeper league? If so, we need to decide that BEFORE the draft.

FYI, I will be doing some housekeeping in the league - Clearing rosters, deleting teams that will not be participating this year, etc.

Kori/LJ, can you please PM me your mailing address so that I may send you my entry fee ($250).

So far, I have the following seven people in: Me, Kori, LJ, ASF, Blaze, Dio and TPark. I have four others that may or may not participate. I will send them PMs and/or emails. If anyone else thinks they may be interested, say so in this thread. I'm pretty confident we will get a full 12 teams signed up, and I hope we get there sooner and not later.

Mr Dio
05-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Where can we go to view the rules/scoring to see if we think any tweaks are needed?

Outside chance I may be able to recruit 1 extra player but I'll have to get his $ before I take him seriously.

Guru of Nothing
05-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Go to xpertsports.com. Your login ID and password should still be the same as last season. Let me know if you forgot it. Once you are logged in go to head-to-head leagues and select FSP.

Guru of Nothing
05-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Dio, if you forgot your password, go to the Help tab at XpertSports and click on the link for forgotten passwords.

Guru of Nothing
06-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Bump

Kori Ellis
06-19-2005, 04:33 AM
So, who is playing in this league?

Guru
me
timvp
Mr.Dio
JohnnyBlaze
Kris

Who else?

Mr Dio
06-19-2005, 11:24 AM
We'd be able to do a 10-team league if we don't get 12, correct? If we're short I just might get 2 teams if we need it.

Guru of Nothing
06-19-2005, 11:28 AM
So, who is playing in this league?

Guru
me
timvp
Mr.Dio
JohnnyBlaze
Kris

Who else?

Alamo Spurs Fan
Tpark?
I have Kris down as a maybe.

I think I have exhausted all of my "maybe's."

Once the finals are over we can start twisting some arms to get people to play.

We are talking $3,000 in prize money people!

Sense
06-23-2005, 04:50 AM
A fRee league is much better and much funner...

Mr Dio
06-23-2005, 06:09 AM

A pay League keeps out the Riff Raff & Deadbeats.

MUCH better competition in a $250 league.

Guru of Nothing
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM

Sounds like somebody likes to draft team defense in the first round, or Michael Vick.

Guru of Nothing
06-23-2005, 10:50 AM
I know everybody's minds our on game 7 tonight, but I am chomping at the bit to get this thing going. Let's make plans for an evening chat sometime soon.

Random Suggestion: This Sunday evening.

Horry For 3!
06-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I'll play in the free league since you said there is one, Kori.

mookie2001
06-23-2005, 04:45 PM
i would play but im not exactly nelson rockfeller
i could be like the smallmarket teams that the NFL takes losses on

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 06:10 AM
They'll be a free (or very cheap) league too.

AlamoSpursFan
06-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Random Suggestion: This Sunday evening.

No good for me. I'll be on my way to McAllen.

Guru of Nothing
06-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Regarding league players: I do not mind Mr.Dio bringing in a outsider or two. Anyone else feel different? Also, I'd like to invite the Detroit folks still hanging around.

Until we chat, please weigh in here with thoughts on how far you are willing to go to recruit 12 players (4 or 5 more).

Also, raise your hand if you are paid in; I am. Let's get the money flowing!!!

Speaking of money issues, I will pay the league hosting fees ($60-ish); in exchange, I'd like to exempt myself from contributing (say $10) towards an FSP league trophy. Y'all will have to pay the shipping too, to get it to Mississippi.

Aight?

Guru of Nothing
06-26-2005, 12:17 AM
No good for me. I'll be on my way to McAllen.

That's cool, but now the burden is upon you to offer an alternative chat hour.

pooh
06-26-2005, 12:20 AM
I would play but ever since my debacle at the 2003 one, I have semi-retired from it. And everyone here will never let me forget that I chose the Bucs defense for my first pick.

iminlakerland
06-26-2005, 02:44 AM
i'd be down for the cheap league :)

Guru of Nothing
06-26-2005, 09:37 AM
I would play but ever since my debacle at the 2003 one, I have semi-retired from it. And everyone here will never let me forget that I chose the Bucs defense for my first pick.

You drafted a kicker in the 4th round too.

Mr Dio
06-26-2005, 12:01 PM
You all just let me know when you want to chat. We can chat & whoever misses it can get caught up by one or some of us.

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 03:11 AM
You drafted a kicker in the 4th round too.

Holy shit!

Defense 1st Round and a Kicker 4th Round?????

That must of been their first time doing Fantasy Football lol Hell even people who never done it should know better than that.

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Let me know when the Cheap/Free league is goin on. I'll for sure be joining and Free League! :)

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Talk about the free league

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20569

Guru of Nothing
06-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Alright $250 players, I have posted a rough draft of the league rules in the football forum.

Sound off.

Horry For 3!
06-29-2005, 05:43 PM
A lot of people gonna lose $250, sucks for them.

Guru of Nothing
06-29-2005, 07:48 PM
A lot of people gonna lose $250, sucks for them.

Try reading.

Prizes will be paid out in the following chunks: $1000, $400, $200, $200, $200, $200, $200, $200, $200, $125 and $75. There is ample opportunity to win money.

Now, get back on the porch.

rr2418
07-01-2005, 06:29 PM
You know I would, but right now $250 sounds a bit to much for me! Maybe $50! If I had $250 floating around, I really would, but.............

p.s. Any thought on lowering the fee from $250 to $50? :D :D

Kori Ellis
07-02-2005, 03:17 AM
There's a $15 league in the Football Forum that needs players.

T Park
07-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Im in for the 250.

Where can I go to pay for that...

Kori Ellis
07-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Im in for the 250.

Where can I go to pay for that...

You can Paypal it to me, or send me a check. I'll send you a private message with both addresses.

T Park
07-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Kori, you have been paid.

I am now a DEFINATE in the league.

Coming back with a vegence this year goddamnt.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Kori, you have been paid.

Got it! Thanks very much.

kris
07-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Put me down in pencil. I don't have time to read over the rules and regulations, but if I can go with the confines of the league, I'll play. Matt, can you please message me your email address. Thanks.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2005, 05:42 PM
There's another free league posted in the football forum for those who didn't get in the first one.

Guru of Nothing
07-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Put me down in pencil. I don't have time to read over the rules and regulations, but if I can go with the confines of the league, I'll play. Matt, can you please message me your email address. Thanks.

Hola Kris.

My email address is [email protected]

The rules, thus far, are the same as last season, and I don't expect many changes. In fact, the only change I am confident we will make is a trading deadline. I'd still like to see a point per reception, and a bump in the points per yards for rushing and receiving, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Look in the football forum and sign up for the free league now.

kris
07-05-2005, 03:01 PM
To all those participating in Fantasy Football 2005-2006 (namely those in the $250 league), there will be a chat on Sunday, July 10 at 10:00 p.m. Please reply if you are not able to come. Johnny Blaze and Alamo Spurs Fan - Matt needs an affirmative update from you.

kris
07-06-2005, 01:16 AM
1 more entry slot has been filled. It is a definite yes. Just call them Mike's team for the moment.

Guru of Nothing
07-06-2005, 08:34 AM
1 more entry slot has been filled. It is a definite yes. Just call them Mike's team for the moment.

That should put us up to nine. 3 more to go.

AlamoSpursFan
07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I'll be in the chat if I'm not working, but the rules sound acceptable to me...as long as there aren't any earth-shaking changes from last season, count me as a yes vote.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2005, 10:48 PM
So, Johnny Blaze and ASF - if you guys are playing in the $250 league you need to contact me and make payment arrangements.

T Park
07-07-2005, 03:01 AM
8 o clock my time on sunday.

Could be pretty iffy.

Ill see if I can bring my laptop to work, if not, I wont be able to make it.

Ill try and reply sunday afternoon if I can or not.

Johnny Tightlips
07-11-2005, 08:35 PM
who says i been interested in playing fantasy football?