PDA

View Full Version : at what point is it a drinking problem?

chode_regulator
12-22-2008, 11:44 PM
ive trid to quit drinking, mostly bc of my high cholesterol and extremer weight gain after leaving the corps

however tha tbeing said, i drank a fifth of black velvet tongiht, between 5 and 11 eastern and could easily drink a considerable amount more. this is after trying to quit for what lasted a week.

is it a problem if you try to quit and cant? feel the need to drink on a daily basis? what is your criterion?

i literally had to hold in my laughter as the local VA asked me how often i drank. i mean they asked if i had EVER drank more than 5 drinks at a time. who has never done that?

i rememebr on a flight physical the flight surgeon asked how much i drank a week. i SEVERELY understated at a 12 pack/week. he almost freakedout. even after i explained thats less than 2 beer/day. i mean really? 2 beers a day is shit. even my dead grandma drinks more than that.

Heath Ledger
12-22-2008, 11:47 PM
dude get some help, your a fucking lush who is in denial.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-22-2008, 11:48 PM
You sound fine dude.:toast

chode_regulator
12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
ahahahhahaha

conflicting answers

sounds like my conscience.

am i a lush or just someone who likes to dirnk? whats the difference is what im getting at?

Vinnie_Johnson
12-22-2008, 11:53 PM
ahahahhahaha

conflicting answers

sounds like my conscience.

am i a lush or just someone who likes to dirnk? whats the difference is what im getting at?

P90X will fix your problems trust me.

chode_regulator
12-22-2008, 11:57 PM
:downspin:

just before i got out a huge box came in for one of th emore quiet guys in my shop. of course we were all curious. he was flying that night so the day shift had all day to wonder whta it was. almost tore us apart trying to figture itout. turns out it was this lame as beac body shit. to be hgonest though im not sure if it really works.

maybe i should try it? thuog i do go to the gym on a daily basis.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-23-2008, 12:03 AM

just before i got out a huge box came in for one of th emore quiet guys in my shop. of course we were all curious. he was flying that night so the day shift had all day to wonder whta it was. almost tore us apart trying to figture itout. turns out it was this lame as beac body shit. to be hgonest though im not sure if it really works.

I just finished my first 90 days last week it works big time. Go to utube or over to the beachbody forums you can see pics of peoples 90 days. I used to go to the gym a lot and thought I was in good shape but damn p90x kicked my ass.

chode_regulator
12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
i thoguth i was in good shpae til i started going to phy therapy for my shoulder. amazing what a cane can do for working out your shoulders. i guess ill look back iknto the p90. cant hurt for the price really i guess

jack sommerset
12-23-2008, 12:19 AM
If you are not doing things you know you should be doing or want to do be you drink you may have a problem.More important if you want to stop drinking and cant.......major problem.

The Reckoning
12-23-2008, 12:19 AM

nice avatar.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-23-2008, 12:23 AM
i thoguth i was in good shpae til i started going to phy therapy for my shoulder. amazing what a cane can do for working out your shoulders. i guess ill look back iknto the p90. cant hurt for the price really i guess

Here is a couple good ones.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=7QoeHsICHlE&feature=related

This guy likes to party check out all the booze in his kitchen.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=5O0uU6Yb5Lk&feature=related

chode_regulator
12-23-2008, 12:32 AM
nice avatar.

thanks

neither one of those guys reall looked to get big, though i guess they lost weight. especially the first one.

chode_regulator
12-23-2008, 12:34 AM
If you are not doing things you know you should be doing or want to do be you drink you may have a problem.More important if you want to stop drinking and cant.......major problem.

drinking is like smoking cigs to me. i feel really odd if i dont have any liquore in the house. even if i dont drink it. i rememebr when i used to smoke i would freak out if i didnt have a pack on me and stop at the nearest store. drinking not that bad, yet i also always need something in my house.
i quit smoking pretty easy, but cant shake tehbooze. maybe too much to do all at once

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2008, 12:34 AM
This guy likes to party check out all the booze in his kitchen.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=5O0uU6Yb5Lk&feature=related

lol i have a friend like that, his got all these fkn imported foreign beer in his kitchen by the 24 packs each...every once in a while we would go over play poker, what football and drink his beer free hahahahaa, fukn free loaders..

Vinnie_Johnson
12-23-2008, 12:37 AM
thanks

neither one of those guys reall looked to get big, though i guess they lost weight. especially the first one.

You got to lift big to get big but most people just half to fight like hell just to get through round one. Round two once you are really in tune with things you can start lifting bigger. My BF went from 21 to 14% and weight went from 182 to 175 I am 5-11.

phyzik
12-23-2008, 12:38 AM
I down at least a 6-pack a day of Bud Light by myself easily since 9 year ago EVERY DAY... sometimes almost up to an 18 pack on some of "those bad days."

I know I have a drinking problem but I try and justify it by not drinking at any time before 5pm... I also never drink hard liqour, and I drink a shit load of water (sometimes 8 20oz bottles) before I get out of work.

Im planning on quitting but Im not going to "shock" my system. I've been steadily decreasing and my goal is to completely quit smoking and drinking by next new years, 2010.

phyzik
12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
BTW, Im absolutely serious about having at least a 6 pack every day of my life for the past nine years.... thats not an exaguration.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-23-2008, 12:41 AM
This guy had a nice 90

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WX2lypf5c&feature=related

balli
12-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Well if you can't stop, you probably, no, do have a problem, but I guess only you can decide how much your alcohol problem is affecting your larger life.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-23-2008, 01:01 AM
BTW, Im absolutely serious about having at least a 6 pack every day of my life for the past nine years.... thats not an exaguration.

Does that even buzz you after 9 years I would think it would be like water at that point.

Kori Ellis
12-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Test yourself by not having more than 2 drinks a day for a month. If you can do it easily, then you probably don't have a drinking problem.

If drinking affects your health, work or relationships, then you should stop (or significantly cut down), even if you aren't an alcoholic.

You might just be a binge drinker and not necessarily an alcoholic.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Theres almost no possibility I would have of limiting myself to 2 drinks a day for a month. It would have to be complete cold turkey or nothing. And I probably would not last longer than 2 weeks.

ChodeRegulator, alot of times I find myself wanting to drink when I am the most bored. Doing anything outside of the house is good for killing that feeling. BTW, now that I know where your tolerance is at, I know how to adjust my gameplan for when we D it up soft surface next week :smokin

baseline bum
12-23-2008, 03:13 AM
The real metric of whether you have a drinking problem is whether it is hurting you, causing you to do things you don't want to do, or keeping you from doing things you want to do. It's impossible to tell that from what you posted. Having a few drinks a day probably isn't too big of a deal if it's not causing you to do stupid shit or anything, except that you're likely killing your liver.

atxrocker
12-23-2008, 03:18 AM
finishing this qrt of Sol i have to say that life is good.

timvp
12-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Try switching to Budweiser Select. That's what mookie did.

chode_regulator
12-23-2008, 10:01 AM
You need to get on a 6 step plan

Step One: Take out Blackberry Storm.
Step Two: Search phone book for "Sergeant."
Step Three: Call Sergeant.
Step Four: Receive instructions from Sergeant.
Step Five: Follow instructions from Sergeant.
Step Six: Repeat as necessary.

haha. those assholes were teh problem im sure

I've got a thinking problem...

you're always on my mind

i knew you really did care.

good advice. thats my point. i dont do stpuid shit, i dont drive drunk, much. but i like to drink everyday. some peple view that as bad. some dont. just kinda curious.
kori i really doubt i could every only drink 2 drinks at a time

phyzik, im not that bad and in fact can and do go a cupole days between drinking. i have a friend like that in teh corps and thats how he is. he would drink almost a case on a normal weekday from getting off work. that dude pushed it though, i know somtimes he would wake up before work and drink. and then go fly around in the back of helicopters.

chode_regulator
12-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Theres almost no possibility I would have of limiting myself to 2 drinks a day for a month. It would have to be complete cold turkey or nothing. And I probably would not last longer than 2 weeks.

ChodeRegulator, alot of times I find myself wanting to drink when I am the most bored. Doing anything outside of the house is good for killing that feeling. BTW, now that I know where your tolerance is at, I know how to adjust my gameplan for when we D it up soft surface next week :smokin

yeah but i dotn have any money. i spend it all on b ooze! :toast :lol

ill be in town tonight, might be kinda late though.

byrontx
12-23-2008, 10:08 AM
I thought a drinking problem was when you didn't have anything left to drink.

Blake
12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
ive trid to quit drinking, mostly bc of my high cholesterol and extremer weight gain after leaving the corps

however tha tbeing said, i drank a fifth of black velvet tongiht, between 5 and 11 eastern and could easily drink a considerable amount more. this is after trying to quit for what lasted a week.

is it a problem if you try to quit and cant? feel the need to drink on a daily basis? what is your criterion?

i literally had to hold in my laughter as the local VA asked me how often i drank. i mean they asked if i had EVER drank more than 5 drinks at a time. who has never done that?

i rememebr on a flight physical the flight surgeon asked how much i drank a week. i SEVERELY understated at a 12 pack/week. he almost freakedout. even after i explained thats less than 2 beer/day. i mean really? 2 beers a day is shit. even my dead grandma drinks more than that.

1. Do you normally drink alone?
2. Do you have a history of alcholics in your family?
3. Do you always wear lace thongs or just some of the time?

leemajors
12-23-2008, 11:03 AM

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:SQQskuJYhywB8M:http://lh5.ggpht.com/_udbqbwepcsM/R-WtQJKP00I/AAAAAAAAA0I/dj4YYqNUl-0/Boston%2Btrip%2B244.jpg

Ballcox
12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Dude, there are basically two categories for problems with substance (alcohol or other drug) use, abuse and dependency. Abuse is considered problematic, dependency is more along the lines of addiction.

You have an alcohol abuse problem if you have experienced the following:
*recurrent substance use resulting in a failure to fulfill major role obligations at work or at home
*recurrent substance use in situations that are physically hazardous (driving after drinking)
*recurrent substance related legal problems
*continued substance use depsite having persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or exacerbated by the effects of the substance (arguments with spouse/sig. other, fights, etc.)
You only have to meet one of the above criteria to have a substance abuse issue.

Now, to have a dependency issue you have to meet 3 of the below criteria:
*Tolerance-need to drink more to get the 'buzz' you're looking for
*Withdrawal symptoms when you don't drink (you mentioned feeling uncomfortable/anxious when you don't have alcohol in your home)
*Substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period of time than was intended
*There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use
*A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance or recover from effects of the substance (hangovers)
*Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use
*Substance use is continued depsite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance

There is the best info I can give you in helping to determine if the alcohol use is a problem. Also, just trying to be helpful-don't want to sound like I'm preaching or anything, but this is a field I've worked in for some time. Hope the info helps.

dickface
12-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I was gonna post the drinking problem scene from Airplane but I can't find it on youtube.

phyzik
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:SQQskuJYhywB8M:http://lh5.ggpht.com/_udbqbwepcsM/R-WtQJKP00I/AAAAAAAAA0I/dj4YYqNUl-0/Boston%2Btrip%2B244.jpg

Nice :lol

And yes, after 9 years it doesnt really affect me much as far as sobriety. I mostly drink at home so I dont really drive while drinking unless its to go to the corner store for more. Im not a violent drunk, Im actually more social when on a buzz. I have to force myself to drink a beer if its before 5:00... it just feels wrong. After 5 though, all bets are off :drunk

My definition of an alcoholic is a person who starts to feel sick or become irritable if they havnt had something to drink. I dont know if Im one of those people yet or not because I havnt really been inclined to stop just yet, but that time is coming.

Darrin
12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
:lol Tolerance is high and going against medical concerns? The missing wife and the country song are the only thing between you and alcoholism.

Seriously, consult with someone who's a professional. If it feels wrong, go with your instincts.

thispego
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
i go through two phases. caring about my drinking problem and not caring about it. When I care about it, I work out every day, drink alot of water, dont drink until i get off of work if im going to drink during the week (usually i'll wait til thurs, fri, and sat to drink), eat "healthier", run if I have time, and boom, on to phase 2 - not caring about my drinking problem. then i start all over.

ploto
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
If you can't stop, you have a problem.

Wild Cobra
12-23-2008, 04:00 PM
at what point is it a drinking problem?

If you don't know the answer, you probably have a problem!

sonic21
12-23-2008, 04:11 PM
If you can't stop, you have a problem.

:tu

Dr. Gonzo
12-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I was in the same boat you are for a long, long time. I drank between a 6-18 pack a day for about 8 years. I wanted to quit but always found myself going to the store and buying even if I didn't want any. The was lying to everyone I knew about my drinking, drinking alone and hiding it so people wouldn't know about my problem. I planned on quitting, I even made it 3 weeks once, I quit after my first DWI and I totaled my car by crashing into a fence, but I went for "one last drinking night" and couldn't stop after that. On Septembner 7th, I went drinking with a friend of mine for the opening week of football, against the wishes of my better half, and within 2 hours a friend of mine and I had downed 6 pitchers. I left the place a few hours later and rolled my car over on Prue road. After looking at the car the next day I should be dead. There is really no explanation as to why I survived with only bumps and bruises. Luckily I didn't hit anyone and I ended up not getting my second DWI somehow. But I finally had a reason to get the help I had needed for years but was just too afraid to ask for. I spent a month in rehab and I have not touched a drink since that day. I go to AA three times a week and have a sponsor and am working the 12 steps.

That accident was the best thing to ever happen to me.

Dr. Gonzo
12-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh and my answer to your question is: if you ask yourself if you have a drinking problem, chances are you do.

tonylongoriafan
12-23-2008, 04:59 PM
i think it depends why you drink

...i drink every other day, mostly. or whenever there's a spurs, cowboys, longhorns game on...about every month or so i like to get "roll my car over prue road" crazy! like two weeks ago in dallas for the giants game i couldn't remember where i parked my truck and how we got back to the hotel, i had to have on star tell me...but i think that's normal, blow off some steam/party a little...YOUR body YOUR temple!

baseline bum
12-23-2008, 05:25 PM
OK, you're driving after drinking, so clearly you have a problem. I hope you get pinched for an expensive DUI next time you do that.

Trainwreck2100
12-23-2008, 05:29 PM
I was in the same boat you are for a long, long time. I drank between a 6-18 pack a day for about 8 years. I wanted to quit but always found myself going to the store and buying even if I didn't want any. The was lying to everyone I knew about my drinking, drinking alone and hiding it so people wouldn't know about my problem. I planned on quitting, I even made it 3 weeks once, I quit after my first DWI and I totaled my car by crashing into a fence, but I went for "one last drinking night" and couldn't stop after that. On Septembner 7th, I went drinking with a friend of mine for the opening week of football, against the wishes of my better half, and within 2 hours a friend of mine and I had downed 6 pitchers. I left the place a few hours later and rolled my car over on Prue road. After looking at the car the next day I should be dead. There is really no explanation as to why I survived with only bumps and bruises. Luckily I didn't hit anyone and I ended up not getting my second DWI somehow. But I finally had a reason to get the help I had needed for years but was just too afraid to ask for. I spent a month in rehab and I have not touched a drink since that day. I go to AA three times a week and have a sponsor and am working the 12 steps.

The next day? you ditched the car didn't you

Dr. Gonzo
12-23-2008, 05:43 PM
The next day? you ditched the car didn't you

I wish. The next day I saw it at the impound lot. I couldn't ditch the car, the EMS took me to the ER.

Homeland Security
12-23-2008, 06:04 PM
If you think you have a problem, you have a problem.

Sancha
12-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Whateva. I keep a case of 40's in my carro at all times in case I get thirsty. It's only a problem if you let it be a problem.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Pilot + drinking problem... oh, this will end well... NOT.

Dude, if you can't stop drinking and it freaks you out not to have alcohol in the house you have a problem.

Give it up cold turkey for a month and then see how you feel. You'll be surprised how much healthier you feel.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-23-2008, 07:57 PM

But drink-driving is a great idea, right thispego and 4cc? :rolleyes

Fucking tools.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-23-2008, 08:00 PM
i think it depends why you drink

...i drink every other day, mostly. or whenever there's a spurs, cowboys, longhorns game on...about every month or so i like to get "roll my car over prue road" crazy! like two weeks ago in dallas for the giants game i couldn't remember where i parked my truck and how we got back to the hotel, i had to have on star tell me...but i think that's normal, blow off some steam/party a little...YOUR body YOUR temple!

...until you kill someone driving home drunk, end up in jail, and "your temple" becomes Bubba's cum receptacle...

SequSpur
12-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Dude, i don't have a problem either.

chode_regulator
12-24-2008, 06:16 PM
i go through two phases. caring about my drinking problem and not caring about it. When I care about it, I work out every day, drink alot of water, dont drink until i get off of work if im going to drink during the week (usually i'll wait til thurs, fri, and sat to drink), eat "healthier", run if I have time, and boom, on to phase 2 - not caring about my drinking problem. then i start all over.
pretty much how i am. though the longest i cna remember, other than iraq, going without a drink was a week not too long ago. i think i posted that in a thread somewhere. day 8 i caved in.

Pilot + drinking problem... oh, this will end well... NOT.

Dude, if you can't stop drinking and it freaks you out not to have alcohol in the house you have a problem.

Give it up cold turkey for a month and then see how you feel. You'll be surprised how much healthier you feel.
never said i was a pilot
ive tried going a month. actually i just said i was going to quite and made it a week. maybe if i give myewlf a goal then i will do better

chode_regulator
12-24-2008, 06:18 PM
1. Do you normally drink alone?
2. Do you have a history of alcholics in your family?
3. Do you always wear lace thongs or just some of the time?

yes
yes
always

Nice :lol

And yes, after 9 years it doesnt really affect me much as far as sobriety. I mostly drink at home so I dont really drive while drinking unless its to go to the corner store for more. Im not a violent drunk, Im actually more social when on a buzz. I have to force myself to drink a beer if its before 5:00... it just feels wrong. After 5 though, all bets are off :drunk

My definition of an alcoholic is a person who starts to feel sick or become irritable if they havnt had something to drink. I dont know if Im one of those people yet or not because I havnt really been inclined to stop just yet, but that time is coming.

when i had a full time job i would usually drink as soon as i got home. around 6. on weekends, if i was bored i would try to wait til 11 am. emphasis on try.

J.T.
12-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I think you should smoke crystal meth every day for a month. Can't tell you from experience but I get the feeling if you do that, your drinking problem will become a distant memory.

The Reckoning
12-24-2008, 06:54 PM
fill up your empty beer bottles with cat piss, then drink a 6 pack of that for a few days...

LaMarcus Bryant
12-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Try switching to Budweiser Select. That's what mookie did.

s.c@|2f3D

pzwnt.

One time, before we migrated to Austin, we were visiting some friends who had frat friends in San Marcos. There was a huge block party. Mookie got there 2 hours earlier than all of us. By the time we got there, he was passed out, wedged between two ford F-150's, with drool all over his shirt. It was like he was in suspended animation. Lit'rally. The whole night we heard legend-esque stories of how "this crazy guy from victoria drank an entire 24 pack in 30 minutes".

From that day forward, Mookie switched to Budweiser select.