PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Victory Over Kings Comes Easy

duncan228
12-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Updated.

Spurs' victory over Kings comes easy (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_victory_over_Kings_comes_easy.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Rumor has it, there was a future Hall of Fame power forward at the AT&T Center on Monday night.

Big guy. Wears No. 21 for the Spurs. Perhaps you've heard of him.

Turns out, the Spurs didn't need a Hall of Fame game out of Tim Duncan to beat the freefalling Sacramento Kings 101-85. For the first 15 minutes, 7 seconds of the game, in fact, they didn't even need Duncan to attempt a field goal.

“Most of the time, that would be a big problem,” Manu Ginobili said. “Today, it was different. The shots were open. We were moving the ball. People were scoring.”

The Kings, 7-22 and dropping, will do that to an opponent.

Tony Parker led the way with 18 points, and Roger Mason Jr., chipped in 11 — all in the first half — as the Spurs built a 17-point halftime lead and cruised.

Duncan had a quiet night, mostly because the Spurs didn't need him to have a loud one. He had 10 points, three rebounds and three assists through three quarters, then called it a night with the game well in hand.

“A lot of guys played pretty well tonight,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “We got a chance to rest some guys and see some other players play. Hopefully that will benefit us tomorrow.”

Nine Spurs players had scored before Duncan attempted his first field goal, at the 8:53 mark of the second quarter. By half, Duncan had five points, and was 1 of 2 from the field. This was not a problem for the Spurs (17-10).

Rolling behind practically everybody else, they led 62-45. The Spurs wound up shooting 52.1 percent, and that was after a 14-for-34 fourth quarter.

So hot were the Spurs that they could have inserted Malik Hairston — newly signed and in street clothes — and he probably would have scored points.

“That speaks to the confidence guys have,” Mason said. “It also speaks to the attention Tim gets. Because a lot of those shots other guys are scoring are based off of him.”

Certainly, Duncan could have and would have been more assertive if the Spurs had needed him to be.

Against the demoralized Kings, who had dropped 17 of their previous 20 games and were a week removed from the firing of coach Reggie Theus, his night was more than enough.

The Spurs topped 100 points, which is a consistent harbinger of victory for them. They've won 36 of 37 when topping the century mark.

John Salmons had 22 points to lead the Kings, while Beno Udrih, Parker's former backup in San Antonio, had 13 points, four assists and a career-high six steals in his return to the AT&T Center.

Kenny Natt, now 1-4 as Sacramento's interim coach, said he hoped the Spurs had taught his team a lesson.

“We must get better by taking care of the basketball and learn how to do the little things,” Natt said. “They gave us a No. 1 lesson on that.”

After a ragged start — seven turnovers in the first quarter, including five by Parker — the Spurs cruised past the Kings.

In the midst of a five-games-in-seven-days stretch, and with another tonight against 4-22 Minnesota to complete a rare back-to-back at home, it was just what the Spurs needed.

No Spurs player logged more than 30:24. Duncan, Parker, Mason and Michael Finley did not play in the fourth quarter.

Even Popovich caught a break, stepping back to allow players to run several huddles.

“I did nothing to earn my money,” Popovich said. “They coached, they communicated, they called plays. I did nothing but substitute players.”

The best part of Duncan's night might have been the final quarter, when he didn't take off his warm-ups. If nothing else, it ought to ensure a well-rested future Hall of Famer at the AT&T Center tonight.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-22-2008, 11:54 PM
I'll update this as McDonald does.

Spurs' victory over Kings comes easy (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_victory_over_Kings_comes_easy.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Rumor has it, there was a future Hall of Fame power forward at the AT&T Center on Monday night.

Big guy. Wears No. 21 for the Spurs. Perhaps you've heard of him.

Turns out, the Spurs didn't need a Hall of Fame game out of Tim Duncan to beat the freefalling Sacramento Kings. All they needed were points out of almost everybody else.

Tony Parker had 18 points and Roger Mason Jr. added 11, as 11 players scored for the Spurs en route to a 101-85 victory that was all but over by halftime.

So overmatched were the Kings that the Spurs (17-10) didn't need Duncan to blow them out.

Duncan had a quiet night, mostly because the Spurs didn't need him to have a loud one. He had 10 points, three rebounds and three assists through three quarters, then called it a night with the game well in hand.

Nine Spurs players scored before Duncan even attempted his first shot, which came at the 8:52 mark of the second quarter. It went in, giving the Spurs a 40-32 lead.

By half, the Spurs had increased their advantage to 62-45. Duncan had five points, and was 1 of 2 from the field.

John Salmons had 22 points to lead Sacramento, which has dropped six of its past seven to fall to 7-22.

The Kings' lone victory in that span came Dec. 15 against Minnesota, in their first game after firing coach Reggie Theus. That would be the same 4-22 Minnesota team that ventures into the AT&T Center tonight.

In that, the best part of Duncan's Monday night was what he accomplished in the fourth. He sat for the full 12 minutes, which should leave him plenty fresh for Al Jefferson.

He was auditioning for the Spurs starting SF job, hopefully for his sake Popovich noticed.

pawe
12-23-2008, 12:14 AM
At this point of the season, ill stick to my current team so as not to disrupt rotations and team chemistry. Im more of a team cohesiveness than a load up on talent guy.

wisnub
12-23-2008, 12:27 AM
At this point of the season, ill stick to my current team so as not to disrupt rotations and team chemistry. Im more of a team cohesiveness than a load up on talent guy.

I think its impossible to get additional quality piece at this time so it is better to stick and keep playing good basketball like this. Im actually still thinking about J Rich trade coz he's doin good both at Pho and Bobcats as well. I know Mason play superb basketball now but I always wondering would Bobcats take Mason and Finley for J Rich..but well its over anyway. I wouldnt dare to imagine what happened if J Rich playing with Big 3..or Manu can come from bench, i will leave it to my brother's PS3.

toki9
12-23-2008, 12:34 AM
John Salmons had 22 points to lead Sacramento, which has dropped six of its past seven to fall to 7-22.

Didn't we draft this guy and then traded him to the Sixers?

Gino2882
12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Didn't we draft this guy and then traded him to the Sixers?

Yes.

Yorae
12-23-2008, 12:56 AM
I think I'd rather get mutombo than him......228's sig is awesome...

duncan228
12-23-2008, 01:04 AM
...228's sig is awesome...

Thanks. :)

All I did was pick the pictures I wanted. All the credit goes to 'he who prefers not to be named'.

m33p0
12-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks. :)

All I did was pick the pictures I wanted. All the credit goes to 'he who prefers not to be named'.
rowling never mentioned voldermort is a photographer by hobby in any of her books.

Blackjack
12-23-2008, 01:55 AM
Nine Spurs players had scored before Duncan attempted his first field goal, at the 8:53 mark of the second quarter. By half, Duncan had five points, and was 1 of 2 from the field. This was not a problem for the Spurs (17-10).

Which also happened to be the first time he got a touch in the post.:wow

mrspurs
12-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Salmons is playing lights out. As for the Big D, over Salmons I just dont know. I know we really need a big. But, and Im gonna say it. Matt is playing pretty good. Even if its against weak teams he plays better then Fab or Kurt. If your playing good then your improving, and it doesnt matter who your playing. He does have Timmy to help him. And who knows how the Big D would play here. He might not get off the bench. Salmons would easily get off the bench. If AT continues to play well while Fab is out I would go with Salmons. But its all just a guessing game. I dont think the Spurs are gonna make any kind of moves to bring in a big this season. I think they're gonna wait for Ian. And go with what they have. And thou I dont like Kurt because of his age and height, I think he's gonna come around later on down the road. He can play D, but all that hype about his 15ft. shot is out the door imo. And he isnt getting worn out with minutes.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm glad to see KT playing well. Perhaps his early season issues stemmed from his injury, and we'll see the guy that the Spurs were willing to trade a 1st round pick for from this point forward.