PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Curses, A Tech, But Parker Will Fight The Power

duncan228
12-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Curses, a tech, but Parker will fight the power (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Curses_a_tech_but_Parker_will_fight_the_power.html )
By Mike Monroe

The Spurs went into Monday's game at the AT&T Center with only one technical foul for the entire season, but ended it with a second on the books.

Before the week is out, Spurs point guard Tony Parker hopes it will be back to one.

Parker will appeal the technical foul he got from referee Zach Zarba for protesting a jump ball call with 2:33 left in the third quarter of the Spurs' 101-85 victory over the Sacramento Kings.

The two-time All-Star contends he neither cursed nor carried on an argument beyond an initial reaction of, “Come on.”

Parker is confident league officials will rescind his technical, and the $1,000 fine that goes with it, citing the fact Zarba acknowledged it had been a mistake.

“I didn't say anything,” Parker said, “and he apologized to me. We're allowed a reaction. They tell you that in training camp, that you're allowed a reaction. I didn't even curse at him.

“All I said was, ‘Come on,' because I felt like he (Kings guard Bobby Brown) was holding me, and he (Zarba) said it was a jump ball. He knew he was wrong, because he apologized.

“Of course I will appeal. A thousand dollars? Come on, man, at least let me curse if you're going to take $1,000.”

Parker believes his career history of comportment will further his case.

“Over my whole career I have maybe four or five techs, the whole time. As a team, we never say anything to the refs.”

Hairston signed: Malik Hairston, the swingman from Oregon the Spurs acquired on draft night in a swap of second-round picks with Phoenix, was signed before the game, but was on the inactive list.

Hairston also had been with the Toros, where he averaged 19.5 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.6 assists.

Because he had been waived by the Spurs in late October, he could have been signed by any team, a factor in the club's decision to sign him Monday.

“Malik was doing well enough that I think other people were starting to get interested,” Popovich said. “We wanted to make sure we didn't lose him.”

Hairston was surprised, and happy, to get the call from the Spurs.

“My focus has just been working hard and trying to get better,” he said. “I really appreciate the opportunity that they are giving me.”

The lid's off: After missing all five of his shots in his first game back from an assignment with the Spurs' Development League team, the Austin Toros, forward Anthony Tolliver made a pair of 3-pointers Monday. He finished with seven points and six rebounds in 17:36.

Tolliver shot well in six games with the Toros, averaging 17.8 points. He acknowledges having been over-amped in his first game back, but said the confidence in his shot remained.

“As a shooter you can never lose confidence,” he said. “That's why I've never hesitated. I know the coaches know it's a learning curve. It's a new process for me; a new game, really.

“I'm starting to get more and more comfortable. That time playing in Austin was really valuable, letting me get on the court and just see the ball go in and just make a couple shots.”

m33p0
12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
reminds me of this...

you remind me of a babe
what babe?
babe with a power
what power?
the power of voodoo
who do?
you do!

:lol

Yorae
12-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Maybe TP said "Come on" in French and Zarba thought he was cussing.....

Blackjack
12-23-2008, 02:09 AM
“Over my whole career I have maybe four or five techs, the whole time. As a team, we never say anything to the refs.”

Somehow, I get the feeling some would beg to differ.:lol

The lid's off: After missing all five of his shots in his first game back from an assignment with the Spurs' Development League team, the Austin Toros, forward Anthony Tolliver made a pair of 3-pointers Monday. He finished with seven points and six rebounds in 17:36.

It's hard not to root for the guy with the amount of effort he displays, and the way he comes across in interviews. Here's hoping he can keep it up.:tu

phxspurfan
12-23-2008, 02:24 AM
“Of course I will appeal. A thousand dollars? Come on, man, at least let me curse if you're going to take $1,000.”

Cheapskate...he makes how many times that per game?

Blackjack
12-23-2008, 02:50 AM
Cheapskate...he makes how many times that per game?

Hey, Bonner could get a new ride with that kind of jack.

Chieflion
12-23-2008, 02:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OAT0rSmWr4&feature=related

He is allowed to curse, why can't Parker do the same?

tp2021
12-23-2008, 03:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OAT0rSmWr4&feature=related

He is allowed to curse, why can't Parker do the same?

2OAT0rSmWr4

:lmao

Manufan909
12-23-2008, 03:49 AM
We all know Parker didn't say "come on", there were four syllables to what he said first.:lol

mrspurs
12-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Glad to see AT out there hustling his behind off. He's alot quicker and can get to places alot faster the Fab or Kurt. And Im really happy he finally hit some 3s. He was shooting pretty well in the summer then got cold. Guess that other league does have its good things about it. At least he's in game shape and not falling behind. Hope he continues to improve.

ploto
12-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Sorry, Tony, but I do not see the league removing the technical.

SA210
12-23-2008, 05:24 PM
reminds me of this...

you remind me of a babe
what babe?
babe with a power
what power?
the power of voodoo
who do?
you do!

:lol

Labrynth :lol

spursfan09
12-23-2008, 05:57 PM
I kept reading Zarba's name as "Zebra" and was wondering if a writer can get in trouble because he keeps calling him a zebra.

Chieflion
12-24-2008, 12:32 AM
A zebra is a nickname for a ref.

spursfan09
12-24-2008, 08:07 AM
A zebra is a nickname for a ref.

Yeah I know. I just think its funny the refs last name is Zarba, but I kept reading it as Zebra. It was how do you say???? Ironic. :)