PDA

View Full Version : Longtime NBA Writer, Web Pioneer Mike Kahn Dies At 54

duncan228
12-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Longtime NBA writer, Web pioneer Kahn dies at 54 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8962674/Longtime-NBA-writer,-Web-pioneer-Kahn-dies-at-54)
by FOXSports.com

Mike Kahn loved sports. He loved to write about sports, and more than anything, he loved to argue about sports. Kahn, who died Wednesday night at age 54 after a bout with cancer, was passionate about the NBA — which he covered for FOXSports.com — and the NFL, which he covered for the Seattle Seahawks' official Website, Seahawks.com.

Kahn's 30-year sportswriting career included newspaper stops in Fort Wayne and Tacoma, and a pioneering role in the world of online sports as the first managing editor at SportsLine USA — which later became CBS.Sportsline.com, then CBSSports.com.

"We are saddened by the unexpected passing of a great newsman and friend," said Ed Bunnell, VP of Programming for FOXSports.com. "Mike has had a great influence on shaping sports journalism, especially within new media and above all we will miss his passion. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family."

"Mike Kahn was my professional brother," said John Clayton of ESPN in a piece on Seahawks.com. "We spent more quality time together than many family members. We were soulmates in a great profession. Readers will miss his insight and opinion. I miss one of my closest friends."

Mike's love for sports was surpassed only by his love of family. And his love of food, especially delicacies from his native Ohio such as Cincinnati chili from the Skyline Diner. He often joked that he would have made a great restaurant critic, except for the fact that he would have liked everything on every menu. But as a sportswriter he was a natural contrarian, often spouting an opposing viewpoint to a colleague or friend before adding "Don't you agree?" with a whiff of indignation. That listener's only two choices were to agree, or to engage in a protracted, albeit good-natured, debate.

We wish he were still here, as there are so many topics still to be argued.

Mike is survived by his wife, Jo Ann, two children and one granddaughter. Memorial contributions may be made in Mike's name to the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center — (800) 279-1618 or online at http://www.fhcrc.org/.

timtonymanu
12-23-2008, 03:55 AM
WOW R.I.P. Mike!

ImmortalD24
12-23-2008, 04:10 AM
Rip!

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Woah, that's horrible.
R.I.P. Kahn.

Darrin
12-23-2008, 02:05 PM
He emailed me once. I think I still have it somewhere. Wow, he was so young. Although, I admit, I don't read Fox Sports much.